homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ale, Ale, the Gang's All Here: A Refreshing Beverage Thread (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ale, Ale, the Gang's All Here: A Refreshing Beverage Thread
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Currently my favourite that is accessible stateside is the Modelo Negra: rather like a Mexican porter and affordable: four and a half pints for less than £6 or about $9.00 US. Unsure of the alcohol content as it is not stated where I can read it.

5.4 %

[ 21. February 2014, 15:52: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One currently popular ale that I just can't find it in my heart (or palate) to like is smoked ale. Ugh. I've tried it in numerous microbreweries, and I can never even finish the tasting glass.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Currently my favourite that is accessible stateside is the Modelo Negra: rather like a Mexican porter and affordable: four and a half pints for less than £6 or about $9.00 US. Unsure of the alcohol content as it is not stated where I can read it.

5.4 %
It'd also be an adjunct Vienna lager rather than anything actually like a porter; real, all-malt Vienna lagers are pretty hard to come by these days, although Great Lakes and Devil's Backbone make decent ones, and, if you can find it, I think the dark version of Bohemia is an adjunct-free Mexican Vienna lager.

[ 21. February 2014, 19:01: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So is it just like store-bought "wheat bread-- exactly the same as white bread but with brown stuff added? Hm.

Lutheranchik-- weirdly enough, I don't have the same revulsion to smoked ale that I do to coffee/ chocolate bastardizations, but I do feel guilty when I am drinking one. Somewhere down there is a beer that is not being allowed to be itself.

[Waterworks]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't tried "smoked," but I once tried a "black" and it was horrible. If I understand correctly, the malt is extremely roasted and/or burnt.

On a more enjoyable note, I've had a few "fresh hops" IPA's and they were great -- light and almost floral tasting.

Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After a lovely double shot of Laphroiag 10, I had a passable light ale microbrew from a little college town to the north....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our local wholefood shop is getting more adventurous with bottled beers at the moment. I asked the manager how his "dry month" was going now that the new stock was in, and he grimaced and said "Not very well." But he felt it was his duty to sample the stock. So as well as some small local breweries, there is now beer available from the States, Belgium and Germany. I got some Orval from Belgium, Flying Dog's Underdog Atlantic Lager, Fraoch heather beer from Scotland, and Brooklyn East India Pale Ale, which is quite a wide variety to choose from of an evening.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried the Fraoch in Glasgow Youth Hostel over Christmas, enjoyed that one.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016