homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 'The higher up the candle, the stronger the coffee, and contrariwise.'' (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 'The higher up the candle, the stronger the coffee, and contrariwise.''
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
Depends on your tea, Mama Thomas. Don't try asking for this from Yankees, who will look at you as though you've sprouted horns in your head, but here in the American South tea is drunk sweetened, over ice. And it is the best drink in the whole world.

Around here that's known as 'the house wine of the South.' At almost any parish function there will be the standard disgusting coffee (Folger's cheapest), but there will also be jugs of Sweet Tea and unsweetened tea -- not the sacramental capitalization.
And now, bless their hearts, the young turks on the Vestry are usually running a wine and beer bar over in the corner.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Agreed.

I am wondering that if Starbucks do a short cappuccino then maybe they can do a short Americano.

Or do you order a small with an extra shot?

Jengie

You should certainly be able to get a short Americano. Do they do flat whites in the US?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I consider myself to be high up the candle and yet I don't even drink coffee. Most of our congo ask for tea at morning tea time, only a few drink coffee.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
If you go too high up the candle, of course, a miracle occurs and the coffee turns into GIN.

Quotes file! [Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
That's exactly how most Americans feel about instant coffee. I've never been to a church that would dream of serving instant, we use huge automatic coffee machines. Instant coffee is for camping trips.

Chai tea? Just the smell of it gives me a headache.

My only experience of post-liturgical coffee in the US was so bad I longed for instant - which at least can't be ruined more worser than it already is. I quote myself (my one and only MW) with reference to the coffee:
quote:
Ghastly. Sort of wet and brown and watery coffee-like substance. I am sure that no coffee bean, fair trade or otherwise, sacrificed its life for it.
(at least I didn't bold quote myself [Disappointed] )

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure how we'd fare on the low to high scale - probably off the (bottom) end - but we have filter coffee ordered from a bespoke supplier. Cream also provided.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Agreed.

I am wondering that if Starbucks do a short cappuccino then maybe they can do a short Americano.

Or do you order a small with an extra shot?

Jengie

You should certainly be able to get a short Americano. Do they do flat whites in the US?
I prefer a Black Eye on the rare occasions when I actually go there. A branch is conveniently located in my building, but for what they charge I'd rather get a full lunch across the street!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
poileplume
Shipmate
# 16438

- Posted      Profile for poileplume   Email poileplume   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Round our way, it depends on what language they speak. French churches drink decent strong European style coffee. The English dredge up that insipid stuff the North Americans fool themselves is coffee. As the French are mostly Catholics and the English protestant the theory is obviously correct.

I was told in a Montréal café that if you order in English they serve you’re a weak coffee and if you use French you get the robust.

--------------------
Please note I am quite severely dyslexic

Posts: 319 | From: Quebec | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016