homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The game of GAITERS

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The game of GAITERS
ardmacha
Shipmate
# 16499

- Posted      Profile for ardmacha   Author's homepage   Email ardmacha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone come across a game called Gaiters,never commercially produced,but in the 1970s obtainable from Canterbury Cathedral, where a lay clerk had invented it ?
It was a gloriously complicated game based on Monopoly and played with a dice and cut out figures were used to move around a very large board.The first throw of the dice began your clerical career by condemning you to be either High,Low or Middle and thereafter you could only do those things pertaining to the three "schools". The aim was to be enthroned on the throne of St Augustine. I wonder if anyone ever bought it and had the fun some of us had with it back in the heady '70s

Posts: 56 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Must admit I've not heard of it.....Monopoly, yes, and Diplomacy ( you can have Poland but I want Czechoslovakia and no way is he getting Latvia....!) oh and Go which is quite good fun you go around the world and collect souvenirs - but I haven't come across gaiters......
Some years back someone started a festal game of Mornington Crescent on these boards the aim of which was to get to The Blessed Sacrament, IIRC! but I'm not sure I'd recommend reviving it as it nearly drove Our Genial Hosts round the twist [Two face]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a game called "Credo" which is all about the council of Nicaea - you have to get your chosen doctrinal statements into the Nicene Creed by winning over sufficient numbers of bishops and laity...
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Robertus Liverpolitanae
Shipmate
# 12011

- Posted      Profile for Robertus Liverpolitanae   Email Robertus Liverpolitanae   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's this which seems like the RC equivalent http://shipoffools.com/gadgets/toys_pets_games/179_1.html

--------------------
Once the Government approves something, it stops being immoral
Rev Tim Lovejoy

Posts: 558 | From: homeward bound | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The concept sound delightful - even though I can't quite imagine much of a market for it these days - I'd love a copy if anyone can track it down!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a thread about a game, this is a better fit for heaven. Going up!

seasick, Eccles host

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ardmacha
Shipmate
# 16499

- Posted      Profile for ardmacha   Author's homepage   Email ardmacha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zappa,
The problem is that it was never properly published and printed, it was beautifully and calligraphically written and drawn by hand, with great skill, especially the cut out figures of the clergy. It was very funny and terribly complicated.I suppose that it could be photocopied. I seem to remember that the inventor was called Peter Giles and I think that he was a Lay clerk in Canterbury, but it's all a long time ago !

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nowadays he could just email a few jpgs tomGermany...

A couple of my gaming friends have designed their own board games, and had the components run up by this lot.

They're in Nuremberg, so I like think of Meisterspieler tapping out counters on dinky little anvils while singing about gold.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds wonderful - I have never heard of it before!
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dan BD
Apprentice
# 16559

- Posted      Profile for Dan BD   Email Dan BD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fantastic! A game which no doubt were it to exist would be banned from all theological college common rooms...

--------------------
DBD

We're here to spread your message, we're leading from the front!
Your word will cross the borders, you'll be in ev'ry coun- -try soon.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a brilliant game on the market called 'Make-your-own-Opoly' which is like Monopoly except you can customise it to your own situation. I was given a copy for Christmas and am making it into a version based on my own town. But there is no reason why you couldn't customise it to fit a church / denominational scenario if you wished. Worth having a try!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ardmacha:
Zappa,
The problem is that it was never properly published and printed, it was beautifully and calligraphically written and drawn by hand, with great skill, especially the cut out figures of the clergy. It was very funny and terribly complicated.I suppose that it could be photocopied. I seem to remember that the inventor was called Peter Giles and I think that he was a Lay clerk in Canterbury, but it's all a long time ago !

A quick Google search found Dr Peter Giles who was a Lay Clerk at Canterbury in the 70s. Could this be the same bloke?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ardmacha
Shipmate
# 16499

I imagine it is. Maybe he could be contacted and the dust blown off the old boxes.Exiting !
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds brilliant fun. [Big Grin]

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
Originally posted by ardmacha:
Zappa,

A quick Google search found Dr Peter Giles who was a Lay Clerk at Canterbury in the 70s. Could this be the same bloke?
He looks quite a bit like Michael Douglas.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016