homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Favourite apps

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Favourite apps
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, what are the apps you use the most often/like the best on your phone?

I've just downloaded some free rail info ones and a weather gadget (you never know, they might come in useful one of these days) and would be interested to know what you've found useful or have just downloaded for the fun of it.

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think some of mine are apps and some are desktop bookmarks, I forget which are which!

I'm with you on the weather and train ones, bbc iplayer (although that's more for the tablet than the phone), social networking, a bible (not that I use it that often [Hot and Hormonal] ), pray as you go and CofE daily prayers (ditto). A couple of reader apps but again I find them better on the tablet.
The torch app can be very useful.

I was addicted to candy crush saga but gave that up and deleted it!

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use the netflix app a LOT (very rarely watch TV on the actually television). I also like a magazine app called 'zino' where you can buy individual issues of magazines.

In an unusually cultured moment I downloaded an app which has the 'wasteland' on it. You can look at the original text and listen to it being read by lots of different actors. It's more fun than I am making it sound.

I also quite like the music apps. I've got one keyboard one which nieces and nephews adore. Also a music theory/sight singing one which I use to practice sight singing and pitching.

Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the Google Sky Map. Point your phone at the night sky and it tells you what the stars, planets, constellations and satellites you can see are.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use YouVersion quite a bit. It's a Bible app with many different versions available. It's nice when I want to see how different translations interpret various scriptures, especially at the study group I belong to.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal] ... Do I dare mention Candy Crush? On the iPad or phone App you can play with the time settings and get extra lives.

(Currently on level 500. Yes I know I ought to get a life) [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pocket is great because it means I can read things later on my Kindle Fire or on my phone. Which saves a lot of time online & means I read interesting things at my leisure and usually in more comfort.

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like:
  • Unread for keeping up to date with blogs,
  • SplitWise for sharing bills with housemates,
  • MoneyWell for tracking my own finances,
  • TweetBot for reading Twitter,
  • Riposte or Felix for reading App.net (another social network like Twitter, but without so much advertising/promotion),
  • Evernote and Dropbox for getting my files and notes wherever I am,
  • 1 Second Everyday for recording a snippet of video every day. (This one's quite exciting. I post montages of the snippets to YouTube from time to time. Here's my 2013 in seconds!).

There's also UK Train Times — in the interests of full disclosure, I was lead developer for that app from 2011 to 2013, although I've since left that company. I was a user and a fan of it before I started working for them though, it's a really slick and easy to use train times app.

I won't say any more about my current app, but see my signature for details [Smile]

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Photographer's Ephemeris is one of my favourites.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
I use YouVersion quite a bit. It's a Bible app with many different versions available. It's nice when I want to see how different translations interpret various scriptures, especially at the study group I belong to.

I like Youversion too - it is good for comparing versions, and I like following the reading plans.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016