homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Cars we drive (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Cars we drive
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What sort of car are you driving? I have a metalflake black 2013 Ford Focus LHD saloon which is the top of the range Titanium with nearly 100 horsepower per litre. It has black leather seats, satellite radio, a sunroof and a 2000 cc four cylindre engine with a five speed manual gearbox. It is not lightning fast in several circumstances but is fast enough and light years ahead of my lovely bride's four cylindre Vectra LHD estate which has a similar configuration but is over 2 seconds slower in the quarter mile. I am saving up to purchase a fresh turbocharged engine for it...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't.

I cycle, walk or take a bus fuelled with biodiesel.

No use having a high performance car here due to the state of the roads or the stop - go of the traffic. In the last 3 years the number of 4 wheel drive vehicles has increased dramatically.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a jolly nice Ford Focus econetic diesel estate. Around town we get over 50 mpg (it's a hefty car remember).

We are currently reassessing our needs and considering one of these.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a MINI. As it's red and has a rev counter, I can dream it's a Ferrari.
It lives outdoors in the drive, The garage is occupied by a boat which, with current weather, could be more useful.

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before my eyesight got fubar-ed I had a lovely Ford Anglia 105E in bright yellow with flames from the wheel arches. I still have the severed leg I was going to mount on the bonnet for car shows...

(UK shipmates of a certain vintage will know which comedy show ruled my life as a teenager)

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a 2006 SAAB 6-cylinder turbo convertible - at only just turning 55,000kms it has a lot of distance left in it: autumn and spring it is so great to let the wind ruffle through what's left of my hair. For trips down to our country property, we use a Jeep Grand Cherokee which we bought 2nd hand owing to the terrain after floods!

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
We are currently reassessing our needs and considering one of these.

I'm considering getting one of these. When the petrol runs out, or I get stuck in a traffic jam, I can just rise above it all and still be on time for work.
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Amandamobile is a Jeep Patriot. Although for especially adventuresome moments I switch to this.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
samc
Apprentice
# 18009

- Posted      Profile for samc   Author's homepage   Email samc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I drive an Impreza WRX, with some additional witchcraft called a PPP which means it makes noises like mighty Thor is trapped under the dash making love to a lathe.

It's very fast vroom vroom kapowWW MY NECK

--------------------
Would do anything for love, but not that.

Posts: 3 | From: Brizle | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello samc, and welcome aboard! Good first post, and glad to have you with us.

Be sure to check out the board guidelines at the top of each board, as the boards all have different flavours. And you're welcome to pop over to All Saints and introduce yourself here if you wanted (it's not compulsory).

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask and someone will be pleased to help you out - we've all been new at some point.

Cheers

Ariel
Heaven Host

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wife drives a white 2010 Lexus i250c. I drive a 2013 Honda Civic.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My main vehicle is an '01 Jeep Cherokee; the previous owner kitted it out for off-roading but didn't do any, leaving us with a very capable vehicle in very good shape. It's been a blessing this winter, I can tell you!

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pootling around car is a VV Up (small city car).

For fun, we share a Mazda MX5 coupe. (Not much fun in this weather, TBH...)

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Winter: a Norco bicycle bought for $10, with $250 worth of Schwalbe Ice Spiker tires on it. Coldest ride this winter was -39°C. But cycling means never cold.

Summer: a Kona Dew Deluxe, a 9 speed road bike with front and rear baskets, Planet Bike saddle, spring loaded seat post and a handlebar riser.

Mileage for both: ∞ , 24 km travel per day.

Wife drives a Honda Civic hybrid, 2009. City driving: It gets about 5.2 l/100 km in the summer, but closer to 7 in the winter. Which is about 57 mpg (imperial) or 45 mpg USA in summer. 40 mpg in winter, or 33 mpg winter. Weather is a big deal.

For travel out of the city, we have a 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe, 4WD. Typical vehicle for variable roads, driving through blizzards and towing things. Mostly highway travel. It gets close to 40 mpg when I drive, about 35 when anyone else drives it. [Biased] I also take longer to get places.

[ 14. February 2014, 14:13: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pasha (my truck) is a 2001 Ford F150. She's beat all to hell - dings, dents and various mashed, smashed and smushed bits. 220K miles on her so far, so she's just good and broke in. * She's stick shift, manual everything, the a/c doesn't work, and you need to use a pair of vice grips to open the tailgate. She's caked in mud, been pulled out of ditches, pulled other trucks out of ditches, and currently has some gunk and feathers stuck in her grill from where I hit a buzzard in mid-air the other day. Fixin' to drive her til the wheels fall off...

*as a requirement of living in the South, one must speak redneck when speaking of one's beloved truck [Biased]

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't really do 'motoring' very much but finally passed my test last year in my [reasonably] reliable 14-year old Fiat Seicento. The boot is full of specimens from botanic collections, and there's a bit of a hole in the roof where some young folk jumped on it in order to set fire to a shed (while parked a long way from my house, I hasten to add)...

But, I'm rather fond of it. He's called Alejandro, after the Lady Gaga song.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two Toyota Camrys, one 1994 with 250,000 miles on it (and boy, does it look it!) and the other 2002 with 130,000. My mother gave us the second one. Good thing is, we never worry about parking these all over the city. Who'd steal them? [Biased]

We also have a tiny Jeep Wrangler X (2005) which gets pulled out for fun and when one of the other two oldies is not running.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2002 Chevrolet Malibu. I call her "Stacy", that's a Simpson's reference. She's a little rough with wear on the interior carpet but the exterior has held up well through these Minnesota winters. Mileage is about 135K and she still gets 30mpg on the highway, not bad for an old lady.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
The Amandamobile is a Jeep Patriot. Although for especially adventuresome moments I switch to this.

Is a toque legal as a helmet where you are?

I'm driving a Benz, the model sold here as the E350 CDI - the mid-size sedan with the 6 cylinder diesel. I do a bit of out-of-Sydney work, and have always had regular Canberra briefs. This has been my first diesel and I'm extremely pleased with it. Once the car starts to move beyond a walking pace, it's smooth and silent, if not quite as much as its petrol predecessor. Bags of torque. It just glides up Cherry Tree Hill or Victoria Pass as if they weren't there, and the same on the climbs between here and Newcastle. And on the trips, it's very fuel efficient; not quite as much around here, but still much more so than the petrol.

On the basis of this, Madame gave her old Volvo V40 wagon to Dlet, and bought herself a C250 CDI coupé, and is very satisfied with her purchase. That's the small 2 door. Plenty of performance, enough space for her needs, but not too large in shopping centre carparks.

Both are white, as have been all our cars for years. I waited a bit after ordering mine to get a blue interior. That's not one normally sold here but is available if you don't mind not driving out the showroom door as it were. That choice was not open to Madame so her's is light fawn.

For reasons which I don't understand, diesel fuel is not cheap here, the usual price being just about that of premium unleaded petrol. It takes less refining than petrol, but that does not seem to matter to the suppliers. So far, no govt has seen fit to follow European practice and reduce the tax on it.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
OddJob
Shipmate
# 17591

- Posted      Profile for OddJob   Email OddJob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Diesel's dearer here too, due to higher tax. But it didn't stop me choosing a diesel engined, used Volvo S60 diesel for long journeys and caravan towing. Much less popular second hand than a Volvo estate (station wagon to some shipmates), therefore cheaper.

Round town and when loads need to be carried, a thoroughly unglamorous old Suzuki Wagon R. Bought as an insurance write-off eight years ago, written on again and worked hard since, it owes us nothing. Much less unpleasant to drive than you'd expect, too.

Playthings are a 1957 Rover and a 1970 Morris Traveller - the latter should soon be back on the road for the first time since 1992.

Posts: 97 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Is a toque legal as a helmet where you are?

Yes, actually, as helmets are not required by law.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A fellow I know, and brother of shipmate, drives an S60 diesel sedan with AWD, about two and a half years old. He's very pleased with it.

My father, for some inexplicable reason, changed from Buicks to Rovers in the mid-fifties. Beautifully made and finished and excellent engineering, even if to an out-dated technology, but small! I was about 8 when the first arrived and my 2 sisters quite a bit older. Very little room in the back seat, and a tiny boot/trunk. Having bought the 90, he then traded that in a few years later for a 105S. It was only when I was 15, and my sisters did not spend all that much time travelling with us any more, that he bought his first Benz, a fin tail 220SE. That was a car that was years ahead of the market and set new standards. Unlike the Rovers, it had good space for a family and itsluggage.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well this is one of the more unusual threads started on Valentine's Day that I've seen. I know some people prefer their cars to their wives, but still....

VW Polo - big enough for 2 to go on holiday but small enough to fit through narrow high-sided Creamtealand lanes.

And, of course, silver, like almost every other car on the road, so that I spend hours looking for it in car parks. Doh! [brick wall]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alicďa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicďa   Email Alicďa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Diesel Vauxhall Astra estate, which is great for fuel economy and also good for moving dogs and family around.

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me: VERY late 2006 Kia Magentis 2.7 V6 semi-auto. VERY low mileage. A couple of days later it would have been a 2007-registered car!
Mrs. Kat: 2011 Kia Picanto LS Auto; again low mileage.

Both lovely cars... with Kia you get a lot of car for your money, in the way of 'features'.

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is another car in our drive: my wife's large green 1969 Plymouth Fury III convertible. What's left of the interior is black as was the roof which is completely gone. It has a 5.2 litre V8, automatic transmission and manual windows. The air conditioning went out in the late 70s and it's been off the road since the late eighties. I taught my wife how to drive in it on our honeymoon in 1978; my sister learned in it the previous year...

We are in the process of selling it to one of my colleagues who plans to make it flat black with a white interior and hot-rod it a bit.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For commuting and driving in horrendous Weather I have a Toyota iQ which is white with daisies on the side to prevent it looking too much like a Stormtroopers helmet (although it still has been referred to as a washing machine because it is so square & so white).

For smiley driving I have a classic red MG Midget (rubber bumper) - I try to keep the roof down all year but this year conceded to putting it up so I can drive it in the current conditions - at the moment I avoid roads with lots of old trees with branches dangling over the road, which restricts it to around one route, but there's a nice cafe (or three) along it. Roll on summer for open-top days!

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently had to let the old Mazda MPV go (when the gas tank fell off, and revealed the state of the framing)

Moved up (literally) to a GMC Sierra - not boastable for gas mileage, but great for moving stuff, and for comfort, and for visibility in traffic.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meerkat:
... with Kia you get a lot of car for your money, in the way of 'features'.

You do? When we moved here we bought a year-old, low-mileage Kia Rio that IIRC had no features whatsoever. About 7 years later it died, fairly spectacularly. There wasn't much in the way of mourning.

We now have a (very) late 2010 Hyundai Elantra, also with very few features, but it gets us from A to B.

[ 17. February 2014, 14:43: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
When we moved here we bought a year-old, low-mileage Kia Rio that IIRC had no features whatsoever.

Wheels? Doors? Engine?
[Devil]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Did not the ads say that seats were an option?

--------------------

Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Piglet... we have had many Kias and nary a problem. How many now (thinking cap on)... Six in all. Hyundai, btw, are from the same stable, being 'sister' companies. With so many being produced, you'll always find one or two vehicles which are a 'PITA' .

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of options. Electric windows are no options, they put them in all cars it seems. So $700 later, the driver controls now lower and raise the passenger side windows again. What exactly was wrong with crank windows anyway?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know, but I'd spec them in a heartbeat if they were available. Unfortunately the only car we could find them on was the Jeep, which is about as no-frills as you can go before you hit go-carts. [Devil]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can you still lock crank windows from the front seat? I'm not above revoking window privileges for 13 year olds or drunk people who have proven themselves incapable of not yelling at people as we drive by.

(I personally like being able to roll down the back seat windows for my dog while I am driving, rather than pulling over, turning off the car, stepping outside, and cranking them open. But that may just be me.)

(Edited to add a key "not" to the top paragraph.)

[ 18. February 2014, 17:51: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Before my eyesight got fubar-ed I had a lovely Ford Anglia 105E in bright yellow with flames from the wheel arches.
You da man, Bob!

We pootle on this , from time to time, though these days it looks a little healthier, or sometimes on this.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and for kid moving purposes, we are moving towards the 'renovation' (ahem) of one of these.

--------------------
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
(I personally like being able to roll down the back seat windows for my dog while I am driving, rather than pulling over, turning off the car, stepping outside, and cranking them open. But that may just be me.)

Agreed, but I would stop to roll them down if it left 700 clams in my pocket, or rather off the credit card bill. They have you right where they want you with these special repairs, can't do it yourself, can't get the part because you don't know what's electrically wrong etc*

*etc = whining, crying, weeping, and gnashing of teeth

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:

We pootle on this , from time to time, though these days it looks a little healthier, or sometimes on this.

Is that a watercooled triple with a two-stroke like the unmissed Suzuki 750-3 "Water Buffalo"? How many cylinders in what configuration?

I recognize the first bike as a postwar BMW in horrible cosmetic condition. Does it actually start, run and drive?

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
...and for kid moving purposes, we are moving towards the 'renovation' (ahem) of one of these.

My dream vehicle, among others, but of a three-wheeled variant, would be a bright red Ducati Monster or a 1970s Honda CBX which has six cylindres and sounds like a Porsche 911 under hard acceleration. I actually saw some half-wit pull a wheelie on a two-wheeled CBX when I was a young newlywed working for a builder down by the sea near where we lived in the late 70s.

My 'daily driver' at the time was a jet-black Suzuki 550-4. It ate sparkplugs, but it was v. smooth and comfortable two-up with the Mrs. on day-trips up the coast. If you PM me, I'll ship you an excerpt from my book which details one of these day-trips. V. exciting!

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

Oh - thanks for being interested. The story is here. The bikes look like 1950s BMWs, but started out as early 70s Urals - a Russian derivative.

Blue one is MOTd now, but there was much I couldn't save. Snails living in the tank - had lived in a hedge for 20 years.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I drive a little POS sedan with over 250K miles on it and fantastic milage. it's named Elmo, because it's the little red monster.

it has an engine. it runs. four studded tires. heater works. trunk held closed with a bungee. two bumper stickers: one from the Denali Dames Burlesque Troupe and has a picture of all of our butts on it, and my favorite, that reads "Books not Bombs" and got me heckled in Wasilla.

'cause, you know, reading books is how the commies get you.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

- Posted      Profile for Photo Geek   Email Photo Geek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I currently drive a Red 2002 Toyota Celica. I'd like something a bit newer, I but haven't seen anything in my price range, that I would like to drive.

--------------------
"Liberal Christian" is not an oxymoron.

Posts: 242 | From: Southern Ohio, US | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
my favorite, that reads "Books not Bombs" and got me heckled in Wasilla.

To be fair, their former mayor may have something to do with this - not exactly the top of the intellectual food chain, that...

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
my favorite, that reads "Books not Bombs" and got me heckled in Wasilla.

To be fair, their former mayor may have something to do with this - not exactly the top of the intellectual food chain, that...
she is a product of her community, believe me.

they have a bumper sticker there that reads "proud to be Valley Trash"

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chorister wrote
quote:
And, of course, silver, like almost every other car on the road, so that I spend hours looking for it in car parks. Doh!
Mrs BA has just solved that problem by buying her third consecutive Hyundai sedan - this time in sunflower yellow. No chance of missing that one in the carpark!

We do a lot of long distance country driving so our other vehicle is a Nissan X-Trail SUV. Not the most stylish vehicle but incredibly reliable, comfortable and with lots of carrying space.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:
2002 Chevrolet Malibu. I call her "Stacy", that's a Simpson's reference.

Another 2002 Malibu owner here (do love the Stacey reference, wish I'd thought of it!). I inherited it from my dad, who didn't drive it much, and it has just under 60,000 miles on it. It's beginning to rust out and the "check engine" readout told my mechanic that the transmission is ultimately going to fail, but not for a while yet. My other car is a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager with 158,000 miles on it and in pretty bad shape. It served us well through lots of long-driving vacations and the semi-annual college pickup-and-delivery trips for two kids. It has a wheel that is so rusted out that the tire keeps losing air and going flat.

I'm getting rid of both of them in a few months. I'm thinking of a Ford Focus (noting a fair number of Focus owners on this thread) or a Subaru.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Please, go with the Focus: there are three 2012-14s on my block!

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love my mazda 3. Whole extended family has always driven Japanese cars, so just went with what I knew. 2nd choice would've been a Honda civic, but I found a mazda first in the right age/price/mileage range.

I would've preferred a more boring colour but at least it's not bright purple, like the other car at the dealership that day!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Hondas are jalopies: they are mostly slow and they don't last. At least Mazda were part-owned by FORD who controlled their board. My dream car would be an MX-5 convertible hardtop ( American racing blue plus white stripes ) with the flat-crank V8 and six-speed gearbox from the 2015 Shelby (Mustang) GT 350 with a custom nose and front clip. I would call it ( with permission ) the Masserini-Ford. It would sound like a Ferrari and give Maranello a run for its money!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016