homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Interesting London Churches

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Interesting London Churches
simwel

praying fool
# 12214

- Posted      Profile for simwel   Email simwel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Due to a number of meetings in London I have some afternoons free in London over the next few weeks. I do not know London very well and would welcome suggestions as to churches that have interesting aspects such as pastoral activity such as St Martin's in the fields or political such as St James Piccadilly,or liturgical such as St Silas Holborn, or architectural such as St Paul's.Naturally the churches need to be opened in central London
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about looking in on a church I visited when in London, the St. Ethelburga Centre. I was expecting a 'normal' London city church but was surprised to find a centre for conflict resolution.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It became a centre for reconciliation after being badly damaged by an IRA bomb in 1993.

I lived several miles away at the time, but I heard it go off!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
It became a centre for reconciliation after being badly damaged by an IRA bomb in 1993.

I lived several miles away at the time, but I heard it go off!

Yes, I heard it go off too, I was living near Old Street station and it shook the windows of the nurses' home. The bomb also caused further damage to St Helen's Bishopsgate opposite, which had already been badly damaged by the Baltic Exchange bomb the year before (and which the rector was lucky to survive).

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jenkins' Thousand Best Churches gives four stars for architectural, artistic, and historical interest to:
St Mary Woolnoth (City)
St Stephen Walbrook (City)
All Saints Margaret Street (West End)
St Augustine Kilburn (Westminster)
St Mary-le-Strand (West End)
Christ Church Spitalfields
St Mary Sloane Street

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If cathedrals count, then Westminster Cathedral (RC) for the stunning (and very sparkly) mosaics.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still with cathedrals, if you want to do Westminster Abbey or St. Paul's and you're free at the right time of day, Choral Evensong is very uplifting, and if you're going in for a service you don't have to pay the (rather exorbitant) entrance fee. Both have excellent choirs.

[ 17. February 2014, 01:51: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oddly, I was in two of the kirks mentioned in the OP just this week. I wandered round the little craft market outside St James - but didn't realise it was the one with the Grinling Gibbons carvings until I went in as much for a chance of a sit-down as anything.

As Chorister says, the entrance fee for St Paul's (even with Old Dear discount) is steep. But I'll concede the audio guide is good quality, and there is certainly enough to occupy a couple of hours.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St Stephen Walbrook, definitely. A Wren church, a Moore marble altar, birthplace of the Samaritans and parish church of The Lord Mayor of London.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
St Augustine Kilburn (Westminster)
St Augustine is in the borough of Westminster but it's a heck of a long way from central London (it's in Travelcard Zone 2). I agree it's a spectacular church but a) being a parish church rather than a "tourist" church it's not likely to be open, and b) it's quite difficult to find and it's in a not particularly salubrious area.

If you're anywhere near Kilburn in mid-August St Augustine's does a spectacular, completely over-the-top-and-out-of-sight Assumption of the Virgin Mary (aka Lady Day in Harvest).

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends on how much time you've got

• St Paul's Knightsbridge has a low mass on weekday evenings (6pm) and a Wednesday Evening Service (6:45pm)
  • The Royal Naval Chapel at Greenwich has a choral evensong on Monday evenings and a Wednesday afternoon Eucharist;
  • St Peter's Barge in Docklands
  • There are a number of city churches with lunchtime or early evening services - I did bother to put a list together a while ago, but I'd need to recheck which services are still running

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sometimes go to All Souls, Langham Place for their Thursday lunchtime services. It's at the top of Regent Street, nearest tube stop is Oxford Circus.

If you're a bit further over in the West End, there's a Swiss church at the top of Endell Street.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
St Paul's Knightsbridge has a low mass on weekday evenings (6pm) and a Wednesday Evening Service (6:45pm)

This site was blocked by my firewall as "malicious" (and I was unable to access it) so please go carefully if you access this link. It may be a false alarm, but better safe than sorry.
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Temple
One of the most unusual church visits (tour not service) of my LIFE

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
St Paul's Knightsbridge has a low mass on weekday evenings (6pm) and a Wednesday Evening Service (6:45pm)

This site was blocked by my firewall as "malicious" (and I was unable to access it) so please go carefully if you access this link. It may be a false alarm, but better safe than sorry.
It may be a false alarm. I was able to access it and had no malware, etc... loaded.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are a number of City Churches, and those along Fleet Street, which do lunchtime concerts. And sometimes lunchtime Eucharists. That way you get to look around beautiful churches and also hear some beautiful music / see the church in action as a living church, not just the building.

I agree that Temple church is well worth visiting (you can see the Knight's Tombs if you arrive in plenty of time for an organ recital; otherwise the church is often locked). Another interesting church is St. Bride's - which has the 'wedding cake' tower.

Details of the many concerts, services and times of opening, in the city churches can be found here.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
London is full of churches, some well known, some not, some visible, some well hidden. Notre Dame de France, Leicester Place, off Leicester Square, is one such that's easy to pass by. Built for the French Catholic community in London and as soon as you walk in, you feel you're somewhere else.

If you want old-fashioned grandeur, the Brompton Oratory (South Kensington: it's where Diana used to go) and St James in Spanish Place (Westminster) are places you should visit.

Not central, but further out east, I second the recommendation for St Bride's in Fleet St. This is the journalists' church and has a very long and ancient history. There are many tributes to journalists who've been killed in the course of their job, and the display of lighted candles and current prayers is quite moving. The crypt has part of a Roman wall in it, and they hold services there. There's an extremely tiny Lady Chapel in the crypt, which seats two people. There's a holy well, left over from pagan days, which you can't access, but you'll hear the running water.

Also in the same area and one you shouldn't miss is the Temple Church that someone mentioned earlier. It's restricted access so you may not be able to get in during the week, but it's one of the very few remaining round churches and has Templar graves, with effigies.

St Dunstan's in the East isn't central, being in the City (and City churches are worth a thread in their own right), but worth a look: bombed during the war, it was never rebuilt but turned into a verdant garden with seats among the remains of the walls and gothic arches, and is a beautiful oasis amid the tall City buildings.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.stjohns-hydepark.com/

That is the church near me where I always belong and attend. It's quite a good one and has all sorts of people there. We have both women and men priests. Also there is much done to teach children and always they come and explain what they have learned and painted and we clap at them every day at towards the end of the service.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crown Court has a mid week service on a Thursday Lunch time. It has an interesting history.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Crown Court Church as I've gone there quite often on the Thursday as well as the Sundays, usually on the evening. They have what I believe, is the best one who preaches and talks about what comes from the Bible, as well as good music and singing and prayers. My parents belonged in it when they came to London.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
http://www.stjohns-hydepark.com/

That is the church near me where I always belong and attend. It's quite a good one and has all sorts of people there. We have both women and men priests. Also there is much done to teach children and always they come and explain what they have learned and painted and we clap at them every day at towards the end of the service.

I second that. One of our former ordinands is now curate there. Good music, sensible catholic tradition and intelligent preaching.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's the RAF church on the Strand and the actor's church (St Paul's?) in Covent Garden as well if you're after churches with interesting connections/activities.

And St Anne's in Soho I think has a particular community.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

St Anne's Soho is one of the tiniest churches in London. I was amazed at how small it was.

Yes, it is St Paul's in Covent Garden that's the actors' church. With garden attached, but with the whole of Covent Garden and the street performers just outside, it's hard to remain focused in this church. Though YMMV.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
There's the RAF church on the Strand and the actor's church (St Paul's?) in Covent Garden as well if you're after churches with interesting connections/activities.

And St Anne's in Soho I think has a particular community.

The actor's church links with this month's book!
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The RAF Church is St Clement Danes.

The 'Danes' in the title refers to the original church having been founded by Danes who converted to Christianity in the time of King Alfred because they wished to remain in London, which was on the border between the lands held by Alfred and those under Danelaw. The choice of St Clement is obvious since he is the patron saint of sailors.

Although people assume this is the church referred to in the nursery rhyme 'Oranges and Lemons' this isn't so.

The church was designed by Sir Christopher Wren, who built St Paul's Cathedral.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

The church was designed by Sir Christopher Wren, who built St Paul's Cathedral.

I had an idea that he was more design-side on St P's as well.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry Firenze - I used 'built' as a general term: of course Wren was an architect.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll second St Pauls in Covent Garden. Fascinating benches outside as well.

And will highlight St Martin in the Fields for another reason entirely: if caught in a downpour, one's trousers can be dried in less than an hour with their fabulous heating. Just remember to sit on the side facing benches for maximum effect.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
And will highlight St Martin in the Fields for another reason entirely: if caught in a downpour, one's trousers can be dried in less than an hour with their fabulous heating. Just remember to sit on the side facing benches for maximum effect.

Last time I was in there, the side-facing benches were occupied by homeless men, mostly crashed out and snoring. Things may have changed, of course, but I wasn't inclined to linger.
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are now guidelines, very politely enforced as well. These stipulate that one is not allowed to sleep or smell when in church. I kid you not, up there on the board by the door.

So on that basis I was quite happy to slowly steam dry while a few interesting people sat in the next alcoves along. Everyone was very well behaved, happily watching what looked like preparations for a service.

It's a great place to sit and contemplate......which means that I am always even more likely to leave a generous offering when I finally slope off and/or visit their café/ bookshop.

[tangent: certainly they were more welcoming than the Portrait Gallery nearby]

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Crypt at St Martins in the Fields is one of the better places to stop and eat in Central London

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

St Katharine Cree is a most amazing church building. Well worth going to their midweek communion service (Thurs) and as there's a sandwich lunch afterwards, maybe no one will mind you mooching round with a camera?
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All Saints Margaret Street. Well worth seeking out whether you are a card-carrying Anglo-catholic, an aficionado of Victorian architecture, or just in search of a haven from the bustle of Oxford Street. It is always open (during the day at least); there is often a Mass at lunchtime or early evening; and it's good just to sit down and marvel at just how much William Butterfield (the architect) crammed into such a tiny site.

Southwark Cathedral is my favourite C of E cathedral. It's fairly central, being adjacent to the south end of London Bridge, and both the building and the personnel are warm and welcoming. Again, the contrast between the bustle of London (trains grind past the windows on the high level viaduct every few seconds) and the peace of the interior is striking. A similar contrast is the case with St Mary-le-Strand, on a traffic island in one of the busiest streets of London. A baroque gem which could have been flown in from Rome.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

The Queen's Chapel of the Savoy: the only surviving remnant of the great hospital for the 'poor and needy' built by Henry VII on the site of John of Gaunt's old Savoy Palace.

Open (I think) Monday to Thursday c10-4 plus on Sundays - service at 11am.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like All Hallows by the Tower , particularly the cafe. I often stop for lunch there if I've been to a meeting over that way.

Has anyone mentioned St Barts? which is pre-Reformation and has a little garden in front and is just in an interesting area - St Barts hospital, the King's Wardrobe.

And St Lawrence Jewry , the guild church, is also interesting and right next to the Guildhall.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know very little about it but for unusual pastoral practice St Marylebone parish church has a significant emphasis on health and healing ministry, with an NHS health centre located within the church.

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're prepared to take the Clipper to Greenwich visit St Alphage's. Designed by Hawksmore it is the burial place of Thomas Tallis. Henry VIII and Elizabeth I were baptised on the church which preceded the present one and St Alphage himself an early ABC was boned to death by Vikings. There are stained glass windows commemorating all the great and good who had connections to the church. A short stroll away is the Royal Naval College Chapel which is lovely. The music in both places is excellent.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I second St Alphage's. It's also where General Wolfe is buried (if you're into Canadian history). Can't believe he was only 32.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
I second St Alphage's. It's also where General Wolfe is buried (if you're into Canadian history). Can't believe he was only 32.

And for other sorts of North Americans, its only a short train journey from Gravesend, where Pocahontas is buried.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

St Pancras Old Church

Not to be confused with the neo-classical porticoed pile on Euston Road, this is much older.

Mary Woolstonecraft and Sr John Soane are buried there, and Thomas Hardy used to be its surveyor.

AC worship.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone mentioned St Vedast Foster Lane, just opposite the East End of St Paul's? A Wren church reordered rather nicely by Stephen Dykes Bowers after gutting in the Blitz with collegiate seating.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Edith:
St Alphage himself an early ABC was boned to death by Vikings.

All I will say is that I'm very glad I looked him up! [Snigger]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016