homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Best SoF features

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Best SoF features
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's looking rather dated now, but here are a couple of images of an old Ship of Fools flyer. When the site was fairly new, it was a good way of getting the message out that here was a site worth visiting, so I ordered some for people to pick up off the information table at church. I expect several shipmates did the same. Maybe you started visiting and posting on the Ship because someone handed you one of these leaflets.

A lot of things have happened on the Ship since those leaflets were produced. What would you pick as the main highlights of recent years, if you were trying to encourage new people to visit the site today?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the best SOF feature is the discussion. The other features are lures, the discussion is the hook.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to looooooove the caption contest but it tired me out. Too many references to things I didn't understand (pond differences) and the same captions would stay up for months until it just wasn't fun anymore.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
I think the best SOF feature is the discussion. The other features are lures, the discussion is the hook.

On that note-- the sidebar added to the front page that lures people into the discussion page with thread titles was a fantastic idea.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mystery Worship is one of the main enduring features. I think I'd highlight the enthronement of Welby as ABC as one of the most interesting, to show that MWers can get right to the heart of important events in the church today.

--------------------

Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I particularly like the option to upgrade to a premium account. Once you've done that, you never look back!

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Perhaps the advertisement could advertise the new Ship of Fools novel, hot off the press.... soon.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps because my chief haunt is All Saints, I enjoy the camaraderie, the mutual support and being able to share a laugh and a virtual GIN with people I've never met.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I think I'd highlight the enthronement of Welby as ABC as one of the most interesting, to show that MWers can get right to the heart of important events in the church today.

"You shall have the best, and you shall have it first." -- Thornton Wilder, The Bridge of San Luis Rey

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I first arrived here via a link from Sojourners Magazine to the Fruitcake Zone. Then I dipped a toe in and started posting on the Caption Contest. Eventually, I joined the site. Now, I often forget that there's a webzine attached to the forums!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rather like many of the above posters, I hardly ever go beyond the forums, well, I do follow MW as well.

And, probably like everyone else, I think to check the other bits when the flashing sign is lit - that is, when someone mentions them in the course of a thread.

But the forums keep my ADD in check - interesting, lively and easy to read. Hardly any little blinking things, and the order makes sense to me - no embedding , so one doesn't have to go back and read the whole works over to find out what is going on. Best of all, good humoured - having Hell is an absolute marvel, even if I don't go there much.

Manny, many thanks to those who keep order. Have all the (virtual) chocolate you can handle!

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016