homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » One year to live (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: One year to live
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What would you do if you have a year to live?

Just for clarity, lets assume you have an illness that doesn't really have significant impact, as long as you continue to live you current life.

If you decide to climb Kilimanjaro, for example, that is fine, unless it will take 9 months to organise, in which case you will probably not live to see the top.

Lets also assume that you condition is incurable, but there are meds to help the symptoms, so you should be pretty well asymptomatic, but there is no hope or chance of a cure, or even remission.

OK, so pretty much everything else is up for grabs. How would you spend your last year, give or take a few months?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't there a 1960s TV series where this happened? The guy got to travel all over the world having all sorts of adventures.

I would just travel. Maybe ending up with a round the world cruise when my illness got to the stage where I couldn't travel under my own steam.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would at least try to resist the endless badgering to travel.

Perhaps I'd be able to do what I ought to be doing anyway - and perhaps I'd be able to work out what that is.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finish writing my will.

I would visit all the native forested areas of NZ that I haven't yet been to especially Kapiti (wildlife sanctuary) and Codfish (Kakapo breeding) Islands.

Also Id need to find a loving home for Georgie-Porgy fat'n'fluffy my cat.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We should probably be living like that ALL the time actually.

After 2 rounds with The Oncologists and a near fatal tractor accident I find it hard to imagine the next week, let alone next year...

If I really had a year though...I think I'd spend it doing what might be regarded as unremarkable things - with friends and family watching waves and other water movements like rivers, creeks, waterfalls, drains and plug 'oles, lighting fires and watching the flames, baking bread, making yoghurt, eating fresh fruit and veg.
I would also travel back to Aotearoa/NZ to some of the places Huia mentioned and I would visit the Starlight Reserves

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would buy a lot of wine, and drink a great deal.

I would also get to see the Northern lights, if possible, and also spend the summer months somewhere I could experience the midnight sun.

These latter ones are things I will try and do before I am in my last year.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:

I don't know- it is sometimes the more mundane moments of my life that end up being the most satisfying. And I think that is the tough part of the "one year to live" question. There would be so much pressure to go out and LIVE damn it that I don't know how enjoyable it would be. You might miss out on the authentic pleasure of coming home on a Monday night, fixing something easy for dinner, and sitting back for some bad television.

Would it be selfish to keep it a secret from all but the closest people? I'd have to tell my wife, as she would have to start preparing for life without me. But I can't think of anything that would make me more miserable than being the center of attention for a full year.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With a year to live suddenly looming, I'd take my partner and two closest friends and we'd see the places which together we want to see - kinda using what I'd leave them to spend time with them in places we all wanted to see. Now whether those places were near or far, seeing them together and seeing them through each o09thers eyes, THAT would be something that would stay with me for - well, eternity!

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

Yes, I'd just carry on as normal as well.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't visited all the British Cathedrals yet, so that would be no. 1 on my list. Then I'd continue with my other great work of 'Island Bagging', which should keep me busy during the summer months. Finally, my quest to visit as many up high (towers) and underground (caves) places in the country, would be completed. At least I'd feel at home 6 feet under if I'd spent time acclimatising myself first!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Schrodinger's cat:
quote:
Just for clarity, lets assume you have an illness that doesn't really have significant impact, as long as you continue to live you current life.
In other words, a "brain cloud". [Biased]

Well, if I had a bit more money, I'd come to the UK and hit all the shipmeets that would put up with me plus go to lots and lots of Evensongs and other musical events.

I'd also book an eleven day cruise from San Francisco to Alaska and back.

And after doing all that for myself I'd stop being a selfish schlub and pay attention to my friends and the state of my soul. [Angel]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would just. write.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I were given one year to live by my local hospital I'd move very swiftly to ensure my affairs were in order because they tend to be over-optimistic (or crap at their job, take your pick): generally they over-state by about 4 to 5 times... [Eek!]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:

I don't know- it is sometimes the more mundane moments of my life that end up being the most satisfying.

It is possible that I am actually in this situation. Been thinking about it for some months. To my surprise I find I want to carry on as normally as possible. Even going to work.

There are of course those unwritten books howling to be born...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I might travel a bit but basically I'd want to stay most round here and be with the people I love.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would want to put my affairs in order, so that my family encounter as little stress as possible after I am gone. This would include decluttering my stuff so as not to leave that chore to anyone else. I would also try to sort out some practical things towards my family being less reliant on me to organise them.
But after that is all sorted I would like to spend time with my family and nature, walking in Scotland, exploring the Cornish coast, that sort of thing.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I might travel a bit but basically I'd want to stay most round here and be with the people I love.

Indeed, if I had a year to live, I would wish the last 4 months to be in India.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd spend as much time as possible with my grandchildren, taking them to places I've loved and trying to give them happy memories.

When my Father knew he was dying he did something similar, he spent the whole summer and much of the autumn taking my brother and myself out nearly every day until he got too ill to drive. At the time I found it frustrating and longed to spend a quiet day in the garden occasionally but I didn't realise he was dying, I was only 15 and he had had health problems for as long as I could remember so I assumed he would come through this as well. Looking back I am grateful to him for that summer of memories. He also had many deep conversations with me, the significance of which did not occur to me until afterwards.

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After the practical stuff which Heavenly Anarchist mentions I would set out on a tour of The World's Best Restaurants (not excluding Deli's, coffee shops, street food stalls; heck, how much can one man eat in twelve months?)

I wouldn't use guidebooks much, but get some local knowledge.

It could even, in some way, turn into a serial shipmeet, so people could find out what I'm really like before the bowdlerised version is presented at my funeral!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm already acting on the assumption that life is short, so am making an effort to get off the fence and try a variety of new things, or old things in a new way, and savouring the moment. It's all any of us can do really. The Eurostar trip will hopefully come later.
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would give up my job but stay in touch to write the software that we so desperately need. That way I will be at home with my family all the time. I may or may not finish the job.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As has been pointed out elsewhere, your in tray is never empty when you die, but I would keep working and try to get my students through their exams before shoving off this mortal coil. Then I would have a round of farewell visits, sit in my garden and watch the birds squabbling for precedence at the seed feeder, and drink.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spend all my savings on foreign holidays.

But people have done that and then found out that their diagnosis was wrong and they continue to live in penury.

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not All Saints but ...ken [Votive] .

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for ken.

Basically, what Og said. I would also waste less time on the Internet so I could play more boardgames and go on outings with Daughter and Other Half.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly one year ago I was told I had an incurable cancer. At first I thought it meant I'd bought the ticket and the train was leaving. Mostly it meant confusion, but reason kicked in, and as Schroedinger's Cat recommended, we made sure there was a good supply of wine at all times.

In the event, the medics never gave me any time to think about it, and they rushed me off my feet for six months while they messed with my body. I still had a major project to finish, so when I got back on my feet I had to finish that, and before it was over I had two more to do. I did a fair amount of writing too, but mostly unpublishable. Right now, I haven't got time to think about dying, and probably won't get around to it for quite a long time.

My response to the OP is: carry on doing what you need to do and like to do. Don't pay more attention to death than is necessary until it's staring you in the face, and even then, get a second opinion. And keep a good stock of wine.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Find a way to live very close to the coast for the whole year
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unless your plan is to max out your credit card limits in exactly one year, the best plan is to do what you want to do, simplify your estate and cherish your family and friends.

The annoying follow up question is: What would you do if you only had two years to live, or ten, or fifty? I can see not doing long range projects like having children or planting topiary but the harder part of the question is; if you know how you want to live if you only have one year, why don't you live that way even if you would live longer.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
Find a way to live very close to the coast for the whole year

[Smile]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
It's not All Saints but ...ken [Votive] .

Amen

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First I would buy a carton of cigarettes, then I would do the usual; read books, watch TV, read the paper, then talk about it all on the internet -- and Ken would always be here to disagree with me. Always.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That occurred to me; whatever else I did, parking it on the Ship would definitely be on the agenda,

[ 27. February 2014, 00:03: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a very difficult question. I've done most of the things I have ever wanted to. It's the things I might want others others to do. After a day and night of thinking, I think I would tell my children that they get extra money, early, from my estate for having babies. Perhaps $100,000 per. Because I want grandchildren. (Am I allowed to be outrageously manipulative and selfish in this thread?)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
...if you know how you want to live if you only have one year, why don't you live that way even if you would live longer.

I think you have it absolutely right.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...if you know how you want to live if you only have one year, why don't you live that way even if you would live longer.

My answer to this would be: Because, if you are the one who only has one year to go, and the rest of your family, as far as they know, have plenty of time, then they can be expected, to some degree, to arrange their lives around you for that year. Which is not a workable plan for an indefinite period of time.

I think what I would most likely do, if I only had a year, is yes - travel, to the extent permitted by having small children. Drink - most certainly. Also, I would start saying the stuff that I mostly don't say because it's too out there or too smooshy or might make someone uncomfortable or embarrassed. Because I think sometimes that stuff can have a lasting positive effect on people, and if it backfires - hey - what have I lost?

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keep on as I am. Avoid being the centre of attention. Carpe diem and live in it whatever it brings. Trust God more. Sit with my cat and my wife. Talk to my children and grandchildren. Wonder at beauty. Receive and give amazing grace.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
quote:

I think you have it absolutely right.
I think there is a point there, and I did say that I would try to do the visiting things. The drinking thing would just become a self-fullfiller. That is something I would only do to numb the pain.

Most other things I do try to live like that anyway. But this really is about focusing on the special stuff - selfish or otherwise.

And Ken - really sorry to hear this. Prayers with you.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be unlikely to tell anybody until it became unavoidable. I wouldn't want a fuss and I'd want people to behave just as normally: all the joys and woes and petty squabbles that make up what real life is.

There's always going to be something that you leave unfinished. Nobody, anywhere, ever lives life perfectly. I'd aim, though, not to be on bad terms with anyone before I left; even if we're no longer in touch I'd like that to be without rancour, just a sense of having moved on and accepted that we don't agree on some issues, and that nobody ever agrees perfectly with everyone on everything anyway.

And I know this isn't particularly Heavenly, but two years ago after having visited a friend in a hospice I came away feeling a bit shocked, but deeply grateful for being able to get out of bed unaided on a cold, dark, rainy winter morning and just go to work. Have a normal, ordinary day, with all the little niggles and tiny pleasures, look forward to doing things I'd put off for years, while I still had the chance.

So if the weather ever improves, that Eurostar trip will have to happen, and meanwhile, trying to find something good in each day.

But as per the OP, let's try to keep the tone light and let's hear your "bucket lists".

Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken... [Votive]

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ken [Votive]

I'm completely in agreement with carrying on pretty much as I am. I love my job and it is part time, so I have regular slots in the week for coffees and lunches with people I care about and love spending time with.

I don't enjoy travelling and am particularly phobic about going abroad, but there are places here I'd like to visit with Mr Nen. Some for sentimental reasons - I'd like to go to Chichester where my mum grew up and I haven't visited there for years. I'd like to go to Norfolk which was a special place for my brother and his partner (my brother died two years ago) and I'd like to revisit the Fort William area of Scotland where Mr Nen and I fell in love. I'd like to go to York and Ely and Wells. There are some friends I'd like to visit and a few people I know online that I'd like to meet in real life - so there'd be a bit of private-messaging and arrangement-making.

In writing this I realise that most of these things are eminently doable... not sure why I'm not making plans already...

Nen - thoughtful after reading this thread. [Smile]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would write a long series of letters and stories for my three year-old son, and probably film some videos. I would leave the letters for him to read when he is older.

I would declutter the house and make every possible arrangement for my son and husband's futures to be as stress-free as possible under the circumstances.

And then I would stop being sensible and blow some of the money we are saving for a house on a big trip to South Africa to a really swanky game reserve, and go on Safari. I've been dreaming about something like this for when the famous pre-schooler is older, and three may not be the right age, but if it were now or never, I'd go now!

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
First I would buy a carton of cigarettes

Same here.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree, Ken, in that sitution I just wanted to to do simple things and keep on fighting till the Very End...and here I am

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
(Am I allowed to be outrageously manipulative and selfish in this thread?)

For some folks, that's the entire point of estate planning. (I took Trusts and Estates law from a professor who took over her legendary father's position at the law school. After teaching that subject for 60 or so years, her father died intestate (without a will). 60 years taught him that the statute dealing with the division of property in the absence of a will would be sufficient to take care of his family, and any other planning was just needless meddling which was bound to cause resentment and family fights.)

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're doing a couple of things on our "bucket list" this year - not necessarily because of health constraints but morer because of potential financial constraints.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

Yes, I'd just carry on as normal as well.
I'd definitely up the quality.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would give up work - that's the first thing I would do, and then I'd go travelling and see all the places I've always wanted to see, and try to pack in the lot if my health and finances allowed:
1) Santiago de Compostela and I'd like to walk the Camino
2) Asturias, Basque Country and Rioja in Northern Spain
3) Rome and the Vatican
4) The Amalfi coast of Italy
5) California
6) south-east Asia
7) Moscow
I would also eat and drink what I wanted to.

--------------------
“I see his blood upon the rose
And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.”
(Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find this question to be rather insensitive given that I have a close friend who is in such a situation. It is impossible for us to walk in her shoes and to imagine ourselves in her situation is IMO quite wrong. Her battles and options are changing daily and even her personality has changed. Although she would like life to continue as normal, it doesn't work like that, particularly as time passes and she approaches the end. I pray that her final days are filled with peace and love. [Votive]

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But we're not asking or talking about her and are therefore not being insensitive to her. We are discussing ourselves in what are for most of us hypothetical situations, and hoping to learn from the discussion. On your principle we would have to give up discussing parenthood, for the sake of the infertile among us; old age; cancer; job problems; and so forth.

[ 28. February 2014, 14:21: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

The OP was posed as it was not with the intention of getting people to focus on their own mortality (I hope SC will confirm that), but with the intention of defining a set of parameters to form the framework for a discussion. It could for that matter have been posed as “you only have one year left on Earth before you’re sent to Mars on a one-way ticket to help build a new colony” or “incarcerated for a very long time”.

If we can, let’s keep this thread to a reasonably lighthearted sort of discussion about what you would do under those circumstances. The “bucket list” is a widespread concept across the internet, and very likely the first that came to mind, but the principle we’re considering for the purposes of this thread isn’t actually mortality so much as those as-yet-to-be-actualized dreams when you know time is limited – for whatever reason – and want to fill it in your own way. Let’s go with that.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016