homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Not Baby's Name (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Not Baby's Name
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As we have a thread on crowd-sourcing baby names, we should have another thread on names not (!) to give a baby, all in good fun.

Following Wodehouse, I nominate Gwladys.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I mentioned on the baby name thread, our dog is named Gladys. And no, we would never give that name to a child, although I have been stopped by at least one person who thought it was funny because his mother was also named Gladys.

Some of our friends were crowd-sourcing names, and wanted something to reflect the mother's Egyptian heritage. I helpfully suggested Boutros Boutros.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a TV Series - on restoring worthy but derelict buildings - presented by someone whose parents had gifted him the name Ptolemy.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to guess that the Old Testament books of history or the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle would be the best places to look for bad names—so Rehoboam, Jotham, and Jehoahaz on the one hand, Aethefrith, Aethelweard, and Frideswide on the other.

Aethelweird: Old Saxon for "kick me."

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
There was a TV Series - on restoring worthy but derelict buildings - presented by someone whose parents had gifted him the name Ptolemy.

I remember him! He had the erudition and no doubt the background to carry it off. In a similar vein, I'm reminded of an American academic who's written about Christianity in modernist literature, a man called Pericles Lewis. Again, it doesn't seem so bad for an academic, but for a middle manager it might be a bit painful.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about Lo-Ruhamah, which means 'not loved'. Also, Lo-Ammi, which means 'not my people'.

Both of these are from the first chapter of Hosea.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kunigunde. No girl should ever be named Kunigunde. Ever.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Horntip and Hangrod. A brother and sister in South America in the 1970s. Please avoid these names.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
I'm reminded of an American academic who's written about Christianity in modernist literature, a man called Pericles Lewis. Again, it doesn't seem so bad for an academic, but for a middle manager it might be a bit painful.

I came across someone once whose first name was Guthlac. Not surprisingly he used his middle name instead. He also was in academia.

[ 26. February 2014, 04:53: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And then there's the well-known translator and Aristotle scholar, Hippocrates Apostle. If that's not a name that destines you to study ancient philosophy, I don't know what is.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Knew a [B]Keturah]/B] once - cleric father was only too happy to explain she was named after Abraham's concubine...!

Other names I'd avoid:
Peterkin
Blanche - just asking to be dark-haired
Nudd - Welsh for fog
Wmffre - Welsh version of Humphrey, and I'd avoid that too!
Blodwen - often shortened to Blod
Samson - destined to be a short weed

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suggest you look at this site for some Puritan ideas. Though I actually feel that the parents of Kill-Sin Pimple did the best they could, given their unfortunate surname.

Kill-Sin was also suggested for a ministerial friend of mine, who ran a facebook thread on what he should call his new son. The consensus was that if used as a middle name, John Kill-Sin Smith worked rather well.

I feel that Placidia should be avoided at all costs, however.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
True story: my Auntie G. was in the hairdresser’s (FWIW in rural North Wales, not known for being the most cosmopolitan and adventurous place in the world) and overheard some other customers talking about a new baby.

Customer 1: What its name?
Customer 2: Cleopatra Tallulah.
Auntie G: (assuming they’re talking about some friends) Oh the poor little bugger.
Then watch Auntie G. backpedal furiously as she realises she is addressing the child’s mother [Snigger]

As for Gladys, it’s not particularly uncommon in France. Most of the Gladyses of my acquaintance are black.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:

Galla Placidia, daughter of Theodosius the Great, was one of the very few women, perhaps the only one, ever to be Emperor of the Western Roman Empire in her own person (Wikipedia, following most but not all textbooks, claims that it was as consort of her second husband and later regent for her son, but they are wrong). She was also previously Queen of the Goths, being married to Alaric's brother-in-law.

Amazing woman. I've long had a fantasy of writing a Vast Historical Novel based on her life. Except these days they'd think you were ripping of Game of Thrones. Massacres! Battles! Barcelona! Incest! Intrigue! Pirates! Ecumenical Councils! Divine Wind! Heretics! Goths! Huns! And even an honest-guv-really ring that allows its possessor to rule the world.

And she got a magnificent tomb, or mausoleum. Much magnificenter than any of the men in her family. (Except for Alaric's barrow built in a diverted river bed, so that it. His body, and all the treasure was washed away when the dams were broken)

Though if I had to name a girl after her I'd think seriously about "Galla".

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is quite clever, but definitely not kind.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything too similar to the surname - William Williams, David Davies, Conor O'Connor etc should probably be avoided (any how unimaginative!)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:

Galla Placidia, daughter of Theodosius the Great, was one of the very few women, perhaps the only one, ever to be Emperor of the Western Roman Empire in her own person (Wikipedia, following most but not all textbooks, claims that it was as consort of her second husband and later regent for her son, but they are wrong). She was also previously Queen of the Goths, being married to Alaric's brother-in-law.

Amazing woman. I've long had a fantasy of writing a Vast Historical Novel based on her life. Except these days they'd think you were ripping of Game of Thrones. Massacres! Battles! Barcelona! Incest! Intrigue! Pirates! Ecumenical Councils! Divine Wind! Heretics! Goths! Huns! And even an honest-guv-really ring that allows its possessor to rule the world.

And she got a magnificent tomb, or mausoleum. Much magnificenter than any of the men in her family. (Except for Alaric's barrow built in a diverted river bed, so that it. His body, and all the treasure was washed away when the dams were broken)

Though if I had to name a girl after her I'd think seriously about "Galla".

Write it! You must! I would read it. And if anyone tries a Game of Thrones comparison, you can pull the 'true story' trump card. Anyway, the publishing time will never be riper.

Barcelona! [Paranoid]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know of a :
Purification
Chlorine
Wild (who married a Mr Bull).
None of these should be permitted to be inflicted on innocent children.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
we have a rash of Gladys in church - all white working class ladies in their 80's...
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to know a Bright - ber sisters were Bonny and Gaye.

I leave you to guess which one married a Mr Green [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have cousins named Thorin and Frodo, both of them have to stoop to go through a doorway. Before I started to use my middle name to avoid beatings I was called Clarence, an old family name but unfortunate on someone with bottle bottom glasses and unruly blonde hair in the 1970s.
hanginginthere
Shipmate
# 17541

- Posted      Profile for hanginginthere   Email hanginginthere   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sexburga, Warburga - both Anglo-Saxon saints (female)

--------------------
'Safe?' said Mr Beaver. 'Who said anything about safe? But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.'

Posts: 72 | From: Eboracum | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheesymarzipan:
Anything too similar to the surname - William Williams, David Davies, Conor O'Connor etc should probably be avoided (any how unimaginative!)

Unless actually Welsh. Or just possibly old-fashioned Scottish or Irish aristocracy.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
hanginginthere
Shipmate
# 17541

- Posted      Profile for hanginginthere   Email hanginginthere   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, that should be Walburga.
In fact any name ending in -burga is to be avoided (Edburga, Ethelburga ...)
And boys' names beginning with Ethel-(-bert, -red, -wold etc)

--------------------
'Safe?' said Mr Beaver. 'Who said anything about safe? But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.'

Posts: 72 | From: Eboracum | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think my favorite name that I wouldn't give someone is Hugo, for Huguenot. Particularly since my husband's name begins with H. Picture something like Huguenot Hopkins. (That's not actually the last name, but it is close enough sound-wise.)

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should point out that I specified "Gwladys", including the 'w', not "Gladys". (I did not make it up.)

A Biblical name I would never give a boy is Onan. I also have doubts about Bildad, Jeroboam and Rheoboam.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Like my home state's governor, Chris Christie. I always found that weird.
Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only person I can think of who managed to pull that off was the poet William Carlos Williams, and of course the fact that he went by all three names is definitely no coincidence.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
quote:

Like my home state's governor, Chris Christie. I always found that weird.
I once knew a Raymond Raymond... his parents thought it amusing....
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
I should point out that I specified "Gwladys", including the 'w', not "Gladys". (I did not make it up.)

A Biblical name I would never give a boy is Onan. I also have doubts about Bildad, Jeroboam and Rheoboam.

one of the Gwladys/Gladys's I have known, a lovely lady, was known as 'our Glad' which I thought rather nice
Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or as commemorated on a tablet in Exeter cathedral, Nutcombe Nutcombe.

Wrong on all counts, unless you are a squirrel.

[ 26. February 2014, 16:53: Message edited by: Signaller ]

Posts: 113 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our local saint is St. Gwladys, one of the daughters of Brychan, king of Brycheiniog, and sister to Tydfil, who was martyred at Merthyr.

One of my ancestors was named Aquilla - Lord P is heartily grateful that he didn't end up with that family name.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A 'Kilmeny' of my close acquaintance was not a good idea on the part of the parents (she has since changed her name). When 'Theodore' was a possibility for a grandson, I offered Theopompus - a splendid name without the Roosevelt connotations. Vetoed. I've had no luck helping our daughters name their children.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When we had out first child, and any and everyone wanted to know what we would name him or her, I said Herman Sinbad if a boy and Hermana Sinbadia if a girl.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If your surname is Clark, do NOT call your daughter Kimberly! (a well-known brand of sanitary care)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife vetoed Angharad for either of our daughters, on the (to me) unreasonable assumption that no-one would be able to spell it.

Slightly off topic, my mother was named Frances - all right in itself, except for the fact she was named after her uncle Frank who had been killed in the North Atlantic a couple of years before she was born. Even now that still annoys her.

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
How about Lo-Ruhamah, which means 'not loved'. Also, Lo-Ammi, which means 'not my people'.

Both of these are from the first chapter of Hosea.

Some other biblical names that don't seem to be used very often are Jezebel and Mahershalalhashbaz. Also, there are plenty of Peters, Matthews, Johns etc but not many Judases. I don't think many people would be persuaded by the explanation 'I'm called after the other one'.

I also wouldn't recommend my sig as a real name. I chose it because 'he was not', but it sounds too like another word for it to be anything other than a curse to go through life with.

Or how about this well known Puritan. According to Wikipaedia, he also had a brother called Fear-God.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
If your surname is Clark, do NOT call your daughter Kimberly! (a well-known brand of sanitary care)

According to 192.com there are 40 people called Kimberly Clark and 75 people called Kimberley Clark in the UK - and that doesn't include the ones that have listed themselves as Kim. [Eek!]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
I'm going to guess that the Old Testament books of history or the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle would be the best places to look for bad names—so Rehoboam, Jotham, and Jehoahaz on the one hand, Aethefrith, Aethelweard, and Frideswide on the other.

Aethelweird: Old Saxon for "kick me."

My grandfather was named Ethelbert--I have no idea what his parents were thinking (though I understand his relationships with them were a bit tense later on). Everybody called him Bill.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
My wife vetoed Angharad for either of our daughters, on the (to me) unreasonable assumption that no-one would be able to spell it. ...

While not wishing to foment domestic disharmony, I'm with you on this one, particularly as I think it means 'much loved'.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The name Minnie used to be quite common, but you'd be pretty cruel to call a child that now. Although the youngest person I know to be called that is about 25, it's a nickname not a given name. But, for a boy, I really can't understand anyone choosing the name Miles. Why???

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I Knew a child called Jezebel - I think she'd be thirteen or fourteen now. None of the other kids thought it was strange. She went by Jez for short.
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
quote:
Slightly off topic, my mother was named Frances - all right in itself, except for the fact she was named after her uncle Frank who had been killed in the North Atlantic a couple of years before she was born.
A distant relative was named Marshall Merson. He went to University to study Divinity and was the pride and joy of his family. He was killed in the First World War and two subsequent girls in the family were named Marshallina in his honour.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the oddest name I've ever come across was Buffalo Head. A friend of mine, in a community where I used to live, was a mom-volunteer at her kids' elementary school, where she made the acquaintance of Buffalo Head. His parents weren't Native American; just late-onset hippies in the 1980's.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that had my parents named me Blodwen I would have changed my name.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

One is reminded of the immortal Major Major Major in Catch 22, who was quickly promoted because when he first joined the army his superiors found it troubling to have Private Major Major on the books.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandparents had a Lebanese friend named Safer Safer. Or at least that's how they pronounced it. (Safir, maybe?)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
my best friend in kindergarten was named Robin Hood. And I always called her that-- Robin Hood, never just Robin.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
I think that had my parents named me Blodwen I would have changed my name.

and my parents, I think!

PS North East Quine - you win with Marshallina! [Eek!]

[ 27. February 2014, 10:29: Message edited by: Rev per Minute ]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother would rather have liked to call me Agnes. I am more than grateful for the paternal veto. (I actually think with the French pronunciation - roughly Annyes - it can be alright, but not the English one, and it really wouldn’t have gone with our surname.)

Unfortunate names can also be context-specific. My middle name is Margaret. I was born in 1979. It’s actually a family name, nothing to do with the politics of the time, but nonetheless I think my Dad regrets it a bit now.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016