homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Not Baby's Name (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Not Baby's Name
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
My wife vetoed Angharad for either of our daughters, on the (to me) unreasonable assumption that no-one would be able to spell it.

I vetoed Eugenie for the same reason - I have a middle name that I always have to spell for people and it's annoying. Having said that, Eugenie's very pretty and while I can't imagine our daughter called anything else than her given name now I sometimes wonder whether we deprived her of a pretty and rather unusual name - although I guess everyone would assume that we had copied the Duke and Duchess of York. [Roll Eyes]

I do know of a Bonnie Heather - both pretty names but rather odd to put them together I feel... [Ultra confused]

If I'd been a boy I was going to be Alistair. No offence to any Alistairs here but I feel I had a lucky escape. And my mum's first choice for me was Jessica which I think is a lovely name if that's what it stays but I'd have gone through life as Jessie or Jess no doubt.

Nen - went off topic a bit, sorry. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Angharad seems easier to spell than Eugenie to me. Follows all the normal rules of both English and Welsh spelling.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My father taught a young lad known by the entrancing (not!) name of Hugh Eustace Hughes, who was called "Hey You" by just about everyone.

The worst I have encountered was Holly Berry.

Fortunately none of the Hoar girls had first names that made things worse.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I encounter a fair few Irish names which are fine in the local context but would be asking for trouble if the child ended up in any other part of the world. Grainne, Feidhlim, Aoilbhe, Eanna...

The one I would never use is probably Caoimhe (pronounced 'Kweever'). It just sounds... odd!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The one I'd never use would be Gobnait. If anyone is even called that these days.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:

quote:
My mother would rather have liked to call me Agnes. I am more than grateful for the paternal veto. (I actually think with the French pronunciation - roughly Annyes - it can be alright, but not the English one, and it really wouldn’t have gone with our surname.)
I love the name Agnes! However, I'd already named my cat Agnes before my daughter came along, so it wasn't an option.

Agnes (the cat) was black and so partially named after Black Agnes . Like Black Agnes, Agnes the cat was intelligent, regal, disdainful, and beautiful.

My daughter is relieved the cat got the name first.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother shuddered in horror when he realised one of the names he would have been given, if a girl, was Damaris. Shortened to Dam by all his mates in no time, no doubt!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad had a schoolfriend called Ferdinand Flowerdew. I went to school with Marietta Grubb.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew a Penny Farthing.
Remember being fascinated by the writings of the American historian Preserved Smith solely on account of the name.

I've never understood why parents give their child a name and promptly call them something else. I had a major crisis on starting school and finding out I wasn't a Lizzie.

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some Irish names are impossible to pronounce unless you know - Aoife looks quite odd at first (Eeeffa is approximately phonetic).
My driving instructor is called Caoimhghin (Quiveen - it's the equivalent of Kevin)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a line in C. S. Lewis's The Voyage of the Dawn Treader which goes roughly, "There was a boy named Eustace Clarence Scrubbs, and he almost deserved it."

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's hard to beat the names of Job's daughters -- Keziah, Jemimah, and (wait for it) Karen-happuch. (spelling not guaranteed!). My OT prof said that the last mentioned translated as 'horns of paint.'

Here in the 'Old South' we tend to use family names almost exclusively, which can be pretty confusing.

You get things like Rhett Wilkes Ravenal, Ravenal Butler Wilkes, Wilkes Wilkes Butler, and on and on. (And any of these combinations can be disposed upon either male or female children.
(Of course, they tend to get called Sissy or Puss if female, or Bubba, Buddy or Sonny if male.)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I love the name Agnes! However, I'd already named my cat Agnes before my daughter came along, so it wasn't an option.

I had a character in a story I was working on who I originally named "Annie." I decided that was to sweet and pure, so I decided to give her a name that was a bit of an albatross. She is now Agnes ("Aggie.")
I smiled at your post because one of the characters-- a nice Catholic boy-- pounces all over her when she gripes about her name, and says just what you did.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:

The one I would never use is probably Caoimhe (pronounced 'Kweever'). It just sounds... odd!

Just say it. It sounds like "Queef."

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the cable news networks has a female announcer/pundit named Krystal Ball. Supposedly her father is a physicist who had done extensive research on crystals. Krystal is a very nice name, but you have to wonder if her parents didn't notice the surname they were pairing it with.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know of an Experience.
Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Unfortunate names can also be context-specific. My middle name is Margaret. I was born in 1979. It’s actually a family name, nothing to do with the politics of the time, but nonetheless I think my Dad regrets it a bit now.

My sister is called Margaret. Until reading this, I had never thought of her as having any link with the late Baroness T. I suppose it's quite a common name in her generation (early 60s) and there are plenty of other well-known Margarets.

Now if I had been called Adolf...

[ 27. February 2014, 19:54: Message edited by: Signaller ]

Posts: 113 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
It's hard to beat the names of Job's daughters -- Keziah, Jemimah, and (wait for it) Karen-happuch. (spelling not guaranteed!). My OT prof said that the last mentioned translated as 'horns of paint.'

One of Darllenwr's cousins has a daughter called Keziah

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
One of the cable news networks has a female announcer/pundit named Krystal Ball. Supposedly her father is a physicist who had done extensive research on crystals. Krystal is a very nice name, but you have to wonder if her parents didn't notice the surname they were pairing it with.

Guy I fenced with called himself "Rick." I finally asked him what his last name was one day and he swallowed, said "Nixon," and then glowered at me in a way that told me I needed to keep my mouth shut.

--------------------

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think someone mentioned the name Blodduedd. I suggest also not using the names Bodb and Anu. (On the other hand, Cerridwen might be a nice name.)

In one of Madeleine L'Engle's novels, there is a character named Polyhymnia.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know some very nice and beautiful young ladies named Agnes and Kerenhappuch.
It's not so much the name itself that's good or bad, I think, as whether it combines well with your surname.
Preserved Fish is the famous one referred to above, but there are plenty of young men named Ewan Kerr who wish their parents had thought it through.

I think it's always a good thing to avoid naming a child after what you were drinking when s/he was conceived (Brandy, Merlot, Margaux, Chardonnay, Tia Maria) or what you were wearing (Jersey, Ellesse), and to imagine that s/he might grow up to be a high court judge. Though if your surname is Fudge, there will always be problems--yes, there is a Deputy District Judge Fudge in the UK, and she's been quoted in the papers recently.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:

It's not so much the name itself that's good or bad, I think, as whether it combines well with your surname.

A friend of my mother's rejected her very plummy sounding birth name and instead renamed herself 'Dick' for the rest of her life (as it was her favourite name). Only trouble was, her surname when she got married was 'Head'. It didn't stop her, though.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or even seemingly innocent ones like Jenny Taylor (say it aloud) or, of course, Michael Hunt.

We have a friend who insists he knew a man called Urek Hans Unt, who was always referred to by all three names. Not sure I believe him though!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a lawyer in Hong Kong called Chlorophyll Yip. Allegedly she has a sister called Photosynthesis, but I don't know if that's true or not. I do have a colleague who has met Chlorophyll, though, so I know she exists.

Tangent/ When my colleague told me excitedly that he had finally met her, I asked what she was like. He replied "Well, she was wearing green, for a start"./ End tangent

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At a school in rural Oxfordshire in the 1970s I encountered a little tearaway - and thought his problems might have something to do with the fact that his parents, Mr & Mrs King, had decided to call him Lee.

His older brother suffered a worse fate - Wayne.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
My brother shuddered in horror when he realised one of the names he would have been given, if a girl, was Damaris. Shortened to Dam by all his mates in no time, no doubt!

There was/is a singer from Newfoundland who had a brief spell of popularity about a decade ago, who rejoiced in the name of Damhnait Doyle

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A local tradesman, with the first name Robert, was known as "Head first" because his parents, a Mr and Mrs Slater, hadn't thought long enough. Robert Slater sounds fine, R. Slater, less so.

(Head first, arse later)

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Family names can be odd things. My grandfather's middle name was the maiden name of his maternal grandmother or great-grandmother (although I'm not sure HE knew the origin of it, we found out through family history work).

My grandmother has related the story of how, just before their wedding, he came to her and said "I've got a confession to make".

Inevitably her mind raced, wondering what it could be. Had he been seeing another girl? Was there some secret in his past that meant they couldn't marry?

No. What he actually said, having realised that he had to sign the marriage certificate and register, was: "My middle name isn't Adrian".

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think it's always a good thing to avoid naming a child after what you were drinking when s/he was conceived (Brandy, Merlot, Margaux, Chardonnay, Tia Maria) ...

So true. Forgive me for posting something I've told multiple times already, but I had a co-worker whose baby was conceived on a September vacation to the Napa Valley ("wine country") in California. They named the baby Autumn Chardonnay.

The mother, being a creative person employed in marketing, came up with a birth announcement that was shaped like a wine bottle and had all sorts of wine-related puns like the baby being "decanted." (Ewwww.) The best part is that the day the birth announcements arrived in the mail, I got a phone call from a mutual colleague who said, "This is so strange. Diane's birth announcement doesn't have the baby's name on it. Just something about a bottle of Chardonnay."

The girl is in her 20s now, and I hope she hasn't suffered too much embarrassment over it.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's to be hoped the idea doesn't catch on in Scotland. Weans running around - depending on where they are in the social scale - called Laphroig, Cardhu, Eightyshilling, Buckie or just Bevvied.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How odd. Because that middle name of my grandfather that I didn't actually reveal? Allport.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always thought Fanny Ruffle to sound like an illustration in a gynaecology textbook. For US shipmates, a British fanny is less unisex and further forwards than a US one...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently encountered a young male supermarket cashier whose name tag read Beethova.

This led me to ponder whether there are any Shoobutts, Moesars, Verdees or Bairlyosses out there.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think it's always a good thing to avoid naming a child after what you were drinking when s/he was conceived (Brandy, Merlot, Margaux, Chardonnay, Tia Maria) or what you were wearing (Jersey, Ellesse), and to imagine that s/he might grow up to be a high court judge. Though if your surname is Fudge, there will always be problems--yes, there is a Deputy District Judge Fudge in the UK, and she's been quoted in the papers recently.

That can work the other way - until recently, the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales was Lord Justice Judge, previously Mr Justice Judge (probably known to friends as Judge Judge).

A nearly churchyard has a memorial to a Keren-Happuch from the late 19th century, a name shared by a shipmate (IRL AFAIK!)

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On our school war memorial was the name James Parrot Seed. All new boys were solemnly taken to observe it.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by cheesymarzipan:
Anything too similar to the surname - William Williams, David Davies, Conor O'Connor etc should probably be avoided (any how unimaginative!)

Unless actually Welsh. Or just possibly old-fashioned Scottish or Irish aristocracy.
My college roommate was named Robert Roberts. We variously called him "Bob Bob" or B^2. (He was a math major.)

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sisters went to a school (grammar, too) where there were a Pearl Button and a Cherry Orchard.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I associate "Chardonnay" with the television series Footballers' Wives, where I assumed it was a piss-take; I don't suppose that's going to stop some people thinking "what a good idea". [Big Grin]

It may be worth avoiding full-on household names - I went to school with a Richard Burton and an Elizabeth Taylor. They would both have been born in 1962/63; whether they were named after film stars or their own grandparents/aunties/uncles I have no idea.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
On our school war memorial was the name James Parrot Seed. All new boys were solemnly taken to observe it.

Quetzalcoatl isn't kidding! OK, I'm a tragic, not only could I not resist looking it up, I knew where... [Help]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
My sisters went to a school (grammar, too) where there were a Pearl Button and a Cherry Orchard.

And I taught, in a grammar school, someone names Charmaigne Belch.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

I remember a Letter to the Editor of The Times, about a fellow-worker whose name was Guy Chapman.

This obviously meant that he was actually (male) Person Person Person.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are two very elderly gentlemen in our small town who were classmates at school about eight decades ago. Their names - Cecil Rhodes and William Shakespeare.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife taught a girl who had been christened Margaret Nelson Trafalgar Day. Needless to add that her father (Mr Day) served in the Royal Navy and she was born on the anniversary of the battle. She was lucky to escape being called Horatia, I think.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
quote:

A nearly churchyard has a memorial to a Keren-Happuch from the late 19th century, a name shared by a shipmate (IRL AFAIK!)

Not IRL.

KGlet1 goes to school with a Cain - not the most encouraging of Biblical names. The current fashion for hyphenated names in our neck of the woods has resulted in some pretty odd combinations...

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yes around here to hyphenating surnames has become the way of showing committment rather than marriage.

linked with the fashion for hyphenating christian names...

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LATRINA!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sola gratia
Apprentice
# 14065

- Posted      Profile for Sola gratia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've met a cockney Keziah. Works surprisingly well.

My old Science teacher, a definite evangelical, has a brood of little ones, one of whom must be about 4 now and is reputedly called Hephzibah. [Eek!]

A family friend goes by Jo King. What's always foxed me, is that King is her married surname, and I don't think Jo is her real first name... [Confused]

My favourite name anecdote is that I know of an Austin Kettle. Sounds like a nickname for a terrible make of car.

--------------------
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment - Bill Bailey

Posts: 20 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crystal Claire Waters is funny but not for poor Crystal. The same for Rusty Fawcett. And Trevor Pott is OK until you get people asking for "T. Pott" or "Pott, T."

Then there is the girl called Krystl, because "the second vowel isn't really needed."

And then the boy called Philips, for a first name, which is his mother's maiden name, without the parents thinking that the poor kid will go through life having to correct everyone who thinks his name is Philip. He uses his middle name.

And finally Professor Randy Katz' name always causes British students to do a double-take, much to the bemusement of his fellow Americans.

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many moons ago, an ex-colleague and her double barrelled husband took to naming their children from the fund of Anglo-Danish names which have not, generally, made it through to the late 20th century, much to the bemusement of her ex-colleagues.
It can't have done much harm, as at least three of them have serious careers, and at least two are involved in churches and music. Which is why I do not feel free to give their names here.

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a patient called Chlorine and another called Purification. Then there was the chap from many years ago when I first started work : his name was Royal North Shore Sydney Harbour Bridge (he was known as Syd).

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016