homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Not Baby's Name (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Not Baby's Name
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
On the other hand, I have heard of Wednesday Addams, Tuesday Weld, Billy Sunday, Joe Friday, Fredric March, June Allison, Dan August and January Jones. (Some of those are fictional characters.)

Tuesday Weld's birth name is actually something quite common (if I could be bothered to Google), she changed it. Interestingly though she played the unusually named Thalia (pronounced "THAY-lee-a") Menninger on "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis." I've never heard of anyone with that name and pronunciation - I know some Talias ("TAH-lee-a" or "tah-LEE-a"). I wonder if it was common in the 1950s or if it was made up for the character.
Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thalia was the Muse of Comedy (she and Melpomene are usually representedby the laughing/crying masks). So unusual, but not made up.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Phin Aaronson
Apprentice
# 16721

- Posted      Profile for Phin Aaronson         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my daughter was younger I threatened to change her name to that of her great-great-great grandmother: Boudica, who was then called Dicey. On the boys' side I would suggest Zelophehad (from Numbers 26-27) as a difficult mouthful. He had daughters too.
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Thalia was the Muse of Comedy (she and Melpomene are usually representedby the laughing/crying masks). So unusual, but not made up.

I was wondering if the pronunciation used for that character was made up, rather than the name.
Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know someone with the name Thekla - you don't find many of those in semi-rural England

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a Thekla von Somebody in the Chalet School books, one of the very few girls to be expelled from the Chalet School.

I loved all the European names of the Chalet girls - when I was about 12, I wanted to have as many children as Joey Bettany and name them with gorgeous Chalet School names; I was particularly taken with Simone.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have twins try to give them different names, unlike the babies Nathan and Nathaniel that I met. I heard later that their baby brother was called Jonathan.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just spent a week teaching twins - Easter and Esther. Lovely girls, but by 3 hours into the first day I wanted to Tatoo their names onto their foreheads.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have come across a few women called May or June as a middle mane, but only one with the middle name September.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been a while since I looked at this thread, but for some reason I awoke this morning with a name in my head that no-one should inflict on a helpless child: Ermengarde. I don't know, I'm sure someone will be along to tell me it's the name of a saint or something, but it sounds like the name for a piece of military or industrial equipment, like a fume hood or something, not a name for a person...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ermengarde sounds like a compilation name made from Ermintrude and Hildegard - neither of which I'd wish upon a child. Although, Magic Roundabout apart, neither of which are as awful as calling a child Brunhilde or Jezebel.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to have been big in Anjou in the 11th century.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
Ermengarde. I don't know, I'm sure someone will be along to tell me it's the name of a saint or something

There is a St Irmengard

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Coa Coa
Apprentice
# 15535

- Posted      Profile for Coa Coa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew a woman whose name was "Delight" but she disliked it so much she was always known as …Winnis
Posts: 13 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ermengarde sounds like a blending of Ermentrude and Hildegarde because all three are what is called dithematic names, cobbled together out of shorter words with, not always, any regard for the overall meaning.

Ermen - whole
garde - protection
trude - beloved
Hilde - battle

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The name Blodwyn was sneered at, earlier here. I liked it a lot, as she was the mother of a dear boyfrind of mine. There was Welsh on both sides of the family.

My high school class had a "Sandy Beach". It wasn't Sandra , it was really Sandy.

Also knew (of) a "Rose Bush". Don't know if was her maiden name, or married name.

Otherwise-educated persons often refer to "John Hopkins", which makes me wince. Even NPR people make this mistake. Being a Baltimoron, I've always known it is Johns Hopkins University, or hospital. Ive even seen it in print as John's Hopkins. [Eek!]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Georgia Boy,
quote:
(Of course, they tend to get called Sissy or Puss if female, or Bubba, Buddy or Sonny if male.)
My wife's mother was a bit of a bossy little thing when she was a kid growing up in North Georgia. All her cousins called her "John", which I don't get. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to call her "Butch"? Is that a Southern thing?

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016