homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Why did I do that?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Why did I do that?
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This afternoon I was cooking a loaf of bread and a fruit crumble. I'm very partial to fruit crumbles and cook a lot of them, so I KNOW that once the fruit starts to cook and releases its juice they have a tendency to overflow.

So WHY did I put the crumble on the top oven shelf, above the bread? I've now got a loaf of bread marinated in gooseberry syrup.

Why oh why did I do that?

What silly things have other shipmates done?

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my very early posts was on the "Offended Thread" in the circus.
This it turns out is not a good place to post if your still finding your feet.

It took me minutes of hurt shock before I realised I shouldn't be taking the reply (I think it was by Sir Kevin) personally and hours before I stopped thinking (what if?).

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Opened a new pack of tea bags and put them all in the teapot instead of the tea caddy. Old age and a hangover to blame.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Counting up the money from a charity sale I dutifully made a note of how many coins of each denomination there were and put them in bags. I then put the coins away, and started to add up the sums on the list. All was fine until I came to:

"20p x 7 = £10."

[ 02. March 2014, 15:59: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Opened a new pack of tea bags and put them all in the teapot instead of the tea caddy. Old age and a hangover to blame.

You think that's bad? Opening a new packet of (ground) coffee and pouring it all into the coffee-maker or (heaven help us!) the kettle is worse.

And that's without the consumption of any alcoholic beverage whatsoever.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Putting all the ingredients in the breadmaker except for the liquid. Then, 4 hours later, tipping a load of hot, burnt flour into a biodegradable rubbish bag. Which duly biodegraded on the way to the food bin at the other end of the hall. At this point the doorbell rang.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chamois:
I've now got a loaf of bread marinated in gooseberry syrup.

You say that as if it is a bad thing...
Not

Ship's Quack
# 2166

- Posted      Profile for Not   Email Not   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Several years ago) simmering a chicken carcass for stock all afternoon, then carefully straining the stock... down the plug hole.

--------------------
Was CJ; now Not

Posts: 600 | From: the far, far West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Putting all the ingredients in the breadmaker except for the liquid. Then, 4 hours later, tipping a load of hot, burnt flour into a biodegradable rubbish bag. Which duly biodegraded on the way to the food bin at the other end of the hall. At this point the doorbell rang.

As a corollary to this, more than once I have tipped water into the breadmaker, directly into the device itself, rather than placing the baking pan in there first. Each time I think I have ruined it by getting water into the 'works' but it has survived.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once froze a Christmas pudding, only for other half to dislodge labels.

Come Easter day, took out of freezer, out of bag (already foiled) so just tied around cloth and proceeded to steam ready for afters.

Took off cloth, then foil - it had been lentil soup.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chamois:
quote:
I've now got a loaf of bread marinated in gooseberry syrup.
You say that as if it is a bad thing...
Good point. I had the most marinated end of the loaf for breakfast this morning and actually it wasn't bad. Sort of pre-jammed.

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs Sioni had prepared baked apples for pud, leaving instructions for me to put them on a low/middle shelf at gas mark-something.

It wasn't my fault she didn't tell me to take the clingfilm off the top.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a student, renting my first house with a few friends and one random acquaintance, we had an enclosed porch, effectively needing to get through two front doors to get in or out. The outer door has a normal mechanism that you needed a key in order to both lock and unlock. The inner door, though, had a Yale lock, so it locked automatically when it was closed, but needed a key to open.

One day I went to pick up the post and the inner door shut behind me. I didn't have my keys on me, so had to wait in the porch for 2 hours before one of my housemates got back and could let me in.
[brick wall]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have done the bread without water thing. It does smell quite burnt. I have also gone out in my pyjamas with waterproofs on over the top without my house key, only to see Mr C wave at me as he left to go and get a hair cut an hour's drive away.

Cattyish, grateful for helpful neighbours.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
... "20p x 7 = £10."

If only ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last month I decided to have a treat of fried egg on toast for my lunch. I heated the grill and the frying pan then proceeded to put the bread in the frying pan and crack the egg into the grill.

I ended up grilling the egg just to make it easier to clean the grill. And it was my last egg.

This is why I rarely cook.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once wrapped some dinner rolls, which I intended to serve in a straw basket, in aluminum foil and put them in the oven to warm up. A few minutes later I noticed a warm, earthy aroma, sort of like newly mown hay. Checking my oven, I saw that I had put the straw basket in there along with the rolls.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I identify strongly with a number of these posts.
The topic reminds me of Miss Prism (in The Importance of Being Earnest) who confesses in the last act of the play ...

quote:
In a moment of mental abstraction, for which I never can forgive myself, I deposited the manuscript in the bassinette, and placed the baby in the hand-bag.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
When I was a student, renting my first house with a few friends and one random acquaintance, we had an enclosed porch, effectively needing to get through two front doors to get in or out. The outer door has a normal mechanism that you needed a key in order to both lock and unlock. The inner door, though, had a Yale lock, so it locked automatically when it was closed, but needed a key to open.

One day I went to pick up the post and the inner door shut behind me. I didn't have my keys on me, so had to wait in the porch for 2 hours before one of my housemates got back and could let me in.
[brick wall]

Yep I know that one! That's why whenver I go out the front door even to the bin I put the snip (or what ever your local name is for it) on the door so that it can't catch shut
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a time, I worked in a building which was not very secure, so each time you left your office, you had to lock the door. So, when at home, I decided to nip to the shops, the keys I put in my pocket were the ones I used most frequently....

And unfortunately the other set of house keys were bowling along an autostrada in Italy at the time.

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once rolled my 4-wheeler over on top of me into the same ditch twice in one day. Cause the first time was so much fun, you see... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
something I've done a number of times. Because learning from your mistakes would be no fun at all...

I drive a very small sedan, but he has the heart of a lion. either that or his owner has the brain of a nudibranch. We get a lot of snow here. a LOT. When faced with a giant snowberm across my driveway, the smart thing to do would be to park and shovel it out. The stupid thing to do is reverse so you can get a good run at it...

So anyway, one morning I was running my son to the bus and we had not gotten out in time. If the snow had just fallen, we'd be okay (it was something like a foot, but dry and fluffy) however I turned around to see an enormous berm at the end of the drive. The plows had actually gone by much earlier than usual. Well, I didn't have time to shovel, so I pulled all the way back, revved the engine, and floored it, shooting down my 50 yard-or-so driveway. Only to slam into the berm full force and get wedged. The snow came halfway up the windows of the car and the doors would not be opening any time soon. So I practically shoved my son out of the hatchback window and made him run the mile to the bus. (he made it!)

Eventually i gave up trying to move it and climbed out of the hatchback myself to go find a shovel.

This wasn't even the LAST time I tried this. There's always the time I had to hand the enormously entertained 140lb dog to a neighbor through the sunroof...

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

My version of this is to put all the ingredients in the breadmaker, but forget to first put in the little paddle that stirs everything. It smells just like you're baking bread, but when you open the lid, all the ingredients are exactly where you put them, yeast on top and everything. It's especially disappointing when you've used the delay timer overnight in hopes of waking up to freshly baked bread.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Not:
(Several years ago) simmering a chicken carcass for stock all afternoon, then carefully straining the stock... down the plug hole.

Yes, I have done this. I hate it when circumstances, spoilage or plain idiocy contrive to waste food. Especially food I've been looking forward to.

I've also set the bread maker up to have the loaf ready at the end of the day, but not clicked the pan firmly in. So nothing is mixed, resulting in a layered creation that is, on average, a loaf but in each part is inedible.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, if we're telling doofus in the snow stories--

I moved with my new husband to a large Midwestern city that shall be nameless, to take up a position as grad student/teaching fellow. Naturally my first class was at eight o'clock.
Naturally this Southern California girl had no experience with frozen locks or snow or freakin' anything.

Which was why I set off to teach my eight o'clock class wearing a long skirt and heels. In the passenger side of my husband's truck (he's from Vietnam, yes? not exactly known for snow experience either). With a freakin' huge load of lumber in the camper shell on the back of the truck.

Duh, the doors froze shut right outside of Nameless Hall. We looked at each other. We looked at the clock. What the hell was I going to do, trapped in a truck?

We looked at the back panel window. Oh no, I said. Oh yes, he said. And so I slid open the freaking panel, shucked my heels, and began slithering over the splintery lumber in the tiny space between it and the camper shell ceiling--made it to the tailgate, opened it, and promptly fell out, only to start dancing in a foot of snow, trying to keep my bare feet from freezing.

In full view of about eight students.

Meanwhile, Mr. Lamb had managed to get his door open, and came around to offer me my heels. So as far as the students were concerned, the doors were never frozen at all, and I chose that exit of my own free will.

Die, memory! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet - sorry, but what's a 'berm'? To me, a 'berm' is what Inspector Clouseau calls a bomb!

(I guess it's what we call a snow drift?)

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a berm made by a snow plow. Comet's may have been larger than this.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is one of those "I'm so glad it's not just me" threads, isn't it? For those of us who, having lost our keys, need to check in the fridge, just in case. Or who sometimes need reminding that clothes come out of the washing machine cleaner if you remember to put powder/liquid in.

As some of you know, I paint. A typical painting afternoon involves me sitting at my table with all the kit everywhere. Somewhere on the table there will be a jar of water for my brushes, and also a nice cup of tea. Guess where the brushes invariably end up?

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Better than what I've done, which is to take a big swig of the paint water.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

My current favourite is: WHERE did I put that sewing needle? It can be quite some time before I notice I'm holding it between my lips or, in the recent case of a paintbrush, in my other hand).
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I once, very publicly, hugged the wrong person (condolence style, "I'm so sorry") at a funeral. And had no excuse for it, as I had been working with the man daily for three years. [Hot and Hormonal]

It wasn't until ten years later that I discovered I was faceblind. [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:

Thanks, Monkeylizard. about that size, actually. and very wet and clumpy. when the plows go by, these leave big old things like this blocking out driveways.

Sorry Rev, I'm never sure what translates and what doesn't.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I misplace things all the time. I'm actually famous for it (locally anyway). My best trick is to put everything I need to take with me when I leave the house in a very obvious place. Look at said things a couple of times, grab a soda out of the fridge and leave the house. I'll usually get about halfway to town before I remember all the stuff I needed. Then, about 30% of the time, I will have remembered to bring all my stuff, but won't remember that I remembered so I end up tearing the house apart, only to find whatever it was in my pocket all along.

This is why I really do need adult supervision [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:

Haven't seen one that small for two months. Not only that, our snowblower has sold its soul to the devil, and now we get stiff notes from the mail lady telling us to dig out the mailbox. It's still snowing.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was surprised this morning, on emptying my washing machine, to find myself taking out twice as many clothes as I'd put in. This wasn't magic, just that I'd forgotten to take out yesterday's load. They were "blacks" which I'd washed separately to prevent the colour running ... fortunately it didn't bleed onto today's lighter shades.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah washing.
The storage of spare toilet paper rolls in the cupboard above the washing machine can be dangerous. Tissues in pocket is annoying, a whole roll of loo paper more so.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Alban:
Tissues in pocket is annoying.

My wife leaves tissues in her pockets, but I never use them. I ask her to check before her clothes go into the washing basket, as I sort them the night before and blearily scoop them up to put into the machine in the morning! But she sometimes forgets ...
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When teaching my son to use the washing machine, I put the washing tablet in last, on top of the clothes, then rotated the drum 180 degrees. Why? He asks. Because the tablet has to be at the bottom, I said. Why don't you put it in before the clothes? He asks. Because then I won't know if it's in there, I reply...
Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016