homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Perfect Pizza (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Perfect Pizza
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... does not resemble a lukewarm, soggy pancake smeared with tomato puree and covered in stale cheese that slides off when you try to put a fork into it. It does not have stuffed crust, nor a whole bunch of fusion toppings like wasabi chicken with curried pistachio, spinach and fried egg.

The Perfect Pizza is a deep pan Margherita served straight from the oven, with a base sauce made of onions and lots of tomato, maybe a pinch of herbs, and on top, a good supply of extra-mature cheddar (still bubbling slightly from the heat) and some mushrooms.

What's your Perfect Pizza?

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perfect pizza is a real pizza margherita - thin crust, good sauce, mozzarella, basil, and that's it.

Like this... Perfect Pizza

[ 07. March 2014, 17:57: Message edited by: Kyzyl ]

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I happen to like spinach and a baked egg on my pizza [Smile]

But my favourite would be based on a lovely Stilton and pear one that Waitrose used to sell. Thin crust with fresh basil and olive oil.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The perfect pizza has lots of vegetables, including mushrooms, onions and peppers, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, and absolutely no sweetcorn or pineapple

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is not a dumping ground for leftovers.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Egg and spinach are very nice (and very authentically Italian) pizza toppings.

My perfect pizza has a thin base made with olive oil, topped with mascarpone, proscuitto cotto, garlic roasted mushrooms and olives. Or goats' cheese, roasted veg (courgette, aubergine, mushrooms, asparagus which is surprisingly good roasted) and spinach. Neither has tomato sauce - not all pizzas in Italy do.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My current favourite is one peddled by an Italian chain restaurant - a white pizza with walnut pesto and baby onions.

By and large Pizza Cipolla is the one I'd go for on a menu - unless of course there's a Pizza which promises to be smothered in chilli.

If I could wind back time, it would be to a pizzeria in Tuscany 30 years ago: we would go every evening and have a pizza - and then feel we could manage just a little more, to round off the bottle of Vino Nobile - so would order a Cipolla.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose I ought to state first that for me PP is American--provincial as that may be. I like thin crust, but I also like Chicago style. Anything on earth that resembles a cheese pie is going to turn my head, whether it's a pizza or something else.

Regardless, I like good crust--crisp or chewy, but not soggy. Wood or coal burning ovens make a better pie. Don't be stingy with the cheese, and if I add toppings it is likely to be Pepperoni and green olives (which is probably a little odd, but seems to fill some chemical need for my taste buds).

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only like the ones I make myself, wholemeal base, chopped tomatoes, lots of cheddar, anchovies, tuna and pepperoni. If no fish available then I like a peshwari pizza with sliced tomatoes, wensleydale, dried fruit, almonds, coconut and honey.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pizza Gyros. It was somewhere just over the German border, not far from Aachen - and it did what it said on the label; a sea of melted cheese with bits of grilled lamb.

Also: in Florence, near the Arno, these little streets named for Dante's famous opus. We're staying in Pensione Esperanza in Via del Inferno (lit. The Hope in Hell) and just over the bridge there's a pizzeria - nobody in but us and a big TV showing a World Cup match between Italy and South Korea. Gorgonzola pizzas - thin crust barely containing a lake of cheese. Italy win and all night the Vespas scoot under the windows with people shouting.

Ah memories.

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Organ Builder: I also love green olives on pizza! I hate "frou frou" toppings such as artichoke hearts and shrimp. Pesto pizza is great. Eggs on pizza?! To each their own, I guess but....blecch!

Onions, pepperoni, green peppers, green olives. Sauce that is slightly sweet. Thick or thin crust as long as it's not greasy or soggy. I actually really like the pizza sauce that comes in the Chef Boyardee Pizza kit that is sold in grocery stores. That was what our family had for pizza night because we lived out in the country and this was before pizza delivery was even a notion. [Smile]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hand tossed crust, double mushroom with tangy marinara sauce (I hate wimpy sauce) and lots of cheese.
And sometimes, just cheese. But lots of it.

And the first time I tried real Chicago Style, it blew my mind.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wood-fired, crisp crust, irregularly shaped (Lazian/Roman style), with some burn at the bottom. Better still if they bring it out on two plates. Usually cappriciosa, especially if it has anchovies in addition to the usual olives, spicy salami, and artichokes—though I can be talked into a good pizza biancha on occasion.

I'll take a negroni before, lambrusco during, and Fernet Branca after. The first can be foregone, the last is for the sake of tasty Fernet, and the middle…well, okay, frizzante lambrusco benefits more from wood oven pizza than anything else, but I could go with one of about fifteen dozen beers instead.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

The Italians consider drinking wine with pizza a Bit Odd.

I think the reason I have so many pizza madeleine moments, so to speak, is that it's so often the first meal of the holiday. In a day or so you'll have sussed out the area, in a week you'll have a favourite restaurant - but just now, you're hungry and looking for something that doesn't involve too much riffling through the dictionary.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My understanding of it is that Italian pizza is a quick street snack which you buy by the slice. I'm physically incapable of eating an entire pizza, so a slice or two will do just fine.

My mother used to make a really tasty Margherita, base and all. She'd had an Italian boyfriend before she got married and learnt some recipes from him. I rarely have pizza these days but hers remains my benchmark.

[ 08. March 2014, 09:06: Message edited by: Ariel ]

EloiseA
Shipmate
# 18029

- Posted      Profile for EloiseA   Email EloiseA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing beats scrocchiarella (crispy thin crust) Roman-style pizza from a wood-burning oven, topped with a few anchovies, pecorino cheese, fennel seeds and a grinding of black pepper.

--------------------
“You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you odd.” Flannery O'Connnor

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Authentic pizza (as cooked by friend's Italian mother):
  • very think crust - as thin as you can make it
  • fresh passata with a little garlic, and fresh basil
  • roughly torn mozzarella
Make sure the mozzarella is really fresh and squeeze well before shredding: it tastes wonderful.

If making at home I still use a thin crust but like to top with wilted chopped spinach, mushrooms, garlic and smoked checken.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I think the reason I have so many pizza madeleine moments, so to speak, is that it's so often the first meal of the holiday. In a day or so you'll have sussed out the area, in a week you'll have a favourite restaurant - but just now, you're hungry and looking for something that doesn't involve too much riffling through the dictionary.

Exactly! I've eaten pizza all over the world. It seems to be the universal food, and if you know no words in the local language, you can always make yourself understood when ordering pizza. (And it's almost always yummy, and not very expensive.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Exactly! I've eaten pizza all over the world. It seems to be the universal food, and if you know no words in the local language, you can always make yourself understood when ordering pizza. (And it's almost always yummy, and not very expensive.)
Sadly, not in Japan or other countries where eating cheese is not the norm. Japan does not make good pizza.

5thMary, I think Italians might be a bit puzzled at artichokes being considered 'frou frou'! They are delicious on pizza anyway, though I'd never have shrimp.

I am not really a fan of American style pizza as I don't want all the sauce and cheese, but if I did have it then I would have Italian sausage and mushroom.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Wood-fired, crisp crust, irregularly shaped (Lazian/Roman style), with some burn at the bottom. Better still if they bring it out on two plates. Usually cappriciosa, especially if it has anchovies in addition to the usual olives, spicy salami, and artichokes—though I can be talked into a good pizza biancha on occasion.

I'll take a negroni before, lambrusco during, and Fernet Branca after. The first can be foregone, the last is for the sake of tasty Fernet, and the middle…well, okay, frizzante lambrusco benefits more from wood oven pizza than anything else, but I could go with one of about fifteen dozen beers instead.

Negronis are the best. I like sharp Italian-style soda with pizza best I think, though. Grapefruit or blood orange San Pellegrino or Chinotto, please.

--------------------

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found my perfect pizza (improbably) in a French restaurant in Vientiane when we were on holiday in Laos. It was a four-cheese pizza with the thinnest of crusts and four French cheeses; I can't remember them all but I think one was Brie, and it was dotted with great melting chunks of Roquefort. Ahhhhhhhhh...
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely with pineapple, also pickled walnuts, anchovies, prawns, cheddar cheese, preferably on a peshwari naan base. Of course, home-made, (except the naan). Authentic? Who the f cares.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thin crust with plenty of cheese and anchovies....I'm now craving one.
My U.S. family always drink beer with pizza and it does taste good even though I'm not a beer drinker.

(Pizza here is best avoided unless you are in Nairobi)

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The specifics of the making are only as important as the quality of ingredients.

Tomatoes shall be those oblong ones, as adopted by Italy, but grown in your own garden, lovingly tended for several months. Basil shall be a friend to the tomatoes, both in the garden and on the crust.

The crust shall be started in the morning, with a sniff of yeast, all of the water and only 1/3 of the flour, stirred some multiple of times, about 100, all in the same direction. Then once the sponge collapses, olive oil, more flour a touch of sea salt and it is time to roll it.

The cheese must have definite and at least moderately strong flavour or you will be tempted to use too much and create a heavy mudpie of fat and starch in your belly.

The oven shall be hot, hot, hot. Quick in, quick out. And pizza shall be eaten with wine, mostly. The beer is saved for the heavy store boughten or delivery kind, where sorrows must become soggy and heavy with the crust and terrible things like pineapple lie in wait like land mines of sweet death. If you want pineapple, what stops you from jelly beans?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

There are two orders of pizza: real - freshly made - and shop bought. I think you have to judge each in its category.

There's a local brand here which offers a Haggis Pizza.

Waitrose do a range of regional pizza, which are generally good.

M&S pizzas are disappointingly bland.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Tesco Finest pizzas are surprisingly good, they do a very tasty mushroom, ham and mascarpone version.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Sadly, not in Japan or other countries where eating cheese is not the norm. Japan does not make good pizza.

No cheese? No pizza? [Eek!] OK, I'm definitely not visiting Japan.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't believe in platonic perfection. There are many incomparably wonderful pizzas.
I grew up in New York, so I'm a thin crust believer, preferably from wood fired or coal oven. I've not tried charcoal, but I suspect it would be good as well. Chicago style or Sicilian thick crust can be good, but it's very easy for it to become terrible. I like the sauce not to be too sugary and generally the mozzarella in modest amounts and not a cauldron of glop.

A slice of cheese pizza from a New York street pizzeria is often great. For toppings on a pizza, SMOG is good; sausage, fresh mushroom and onion and if they are freshly made, roast peppers.
If fresh real tomatoes are available tomato and basil perhaps with prosciutto. One the East Coast, a clam and parsley pizza is a nice change.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:

No cheese? No pizza? [Eek!] OK, I'm definitely not visiting Japan.
They do have cheese (and pizza), it's just not very good. Japan and much of Asia are mostly lactose-intolerant, which is why there isn't a cheesemaking heritage. But please do visit Japan, they have such delicious food, even if it doesn't involve cheese or pizza.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
My understanding of it is that Italian pizza is a quick street snack which you buy by the slice. I'm physically incapable of eating an entire pizza, so a slice or two will do just fine.

There's (at least—I suspect there are more) two kinds of Italian pizza: pizza al taglio, which comes by the slice, and pizza al forno di legno, wood oven pizza, which is whole and unsliced. British pizza, I've noticed, tends more towards the latter (it's a whole, unsliced, knife-and-fork affair, with one pizza per person), with American pizzas tending to come sliced, and often shared.

I'm almost surprised nobody's mentioned St. Louis style pizza, which, the one time I had it, gave me inexplicable cravings for years afterwards—a cracker-like crust, basic tomato sauce, decent toppings, but a buttery cheese unique to the area, Provel. God knows if there's any actual cheese in it (I think there is) or if it's just the most weirdly delicious plastic ever invented, but there's nothing else like it.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want a street snack then Calzone is probably best. They are like a folded pizza, rather like our pasties. Utterly unsophisticated but easy to eat in the street.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My first shipmeet was for NoCal pizza (as Kelly always bills it).

I mentioned having eaten a pizza (Trentino, from a local chain called Amici's: Mozzarella, Parmesan, Crumbled Feta, Baby Spinach, Red Onions, Pancetta (Italian Bacon), Herbs, and Meyer Lemon Olive Oil (No Tomato Sauce)) They make theirs on a thin crust in a wood-fired oven.

Kelly asked "when's the meet?" and threw in a couple of [Eek!] for emphasis. The meet happened a couple of weeks later and I've never looked back.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Papa John's tried out a wheat berry crust several years ago but it didn't catch on, sadly. My wife and I loved that crust! It was nutty and a little bit chewy. I also love the pizza from the Seattle PCC markets. When I lived in Seattle in the 1990's, they didn't sell pizza by the slice but when I was visiting last July, some friends took me back there and I got some slices of freshly made organic pizza. Yet another reason why I'm planning on moving back to the Seattle area!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a student, we took an Italian friend out to an Oxford pizzeria. He was deeply appalled when one of our party ordered a deep pan pizza with mushrooms and pineapple: "You eat fat pizza with fruit on it??"

He spent the rest of the evening chewing through his thin crust margherita in grim silence.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anybody break it to him about Chicago Style?

And I hate pineapple on pizza. I hate pineapple in anything other than fruit salad and ambrosia.

[ 09. March 2014, 17:46: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A pizza I made myself that had a cream sauce topped with wild leeks, mushrooms and fiddleheads stands out as one of the best I've ever eaten.

On the other extreme, Mr Ferdzy and I ordered an 8-vegetable pizza in Spain once. I should mention that green vegetables are surprisingly hard to get at restaurants in Spain. Anyway, we were excited! 8 vegetables! However, it turned out that only one of them was green - the olives. I forget exactly what the other 7 vegetables were, except that one of them was canned beets. [Ultra confused]

Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a simple guy. I don't ask for much. I only ask for extra sauce, extra cheese, extra pepperoni, extra Canadian bacon, extra sausage, extra chorizo, extra mushrooms, extra olives; bell peppers, anchovies and who knows what else.

From "30 Rock":
quote:

Liz Lemon: Hey, Jack! What's up?

Jack Donaghy: That woman you met this morning in my office is not a colleague of mine. We are lovers.

Liz Lemon: Ohh… That word bums me out unless it’s between the words meat and pizza.

[ 09. March 2014, 19:25: Message edited by: Pancho ]

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Did anybody break it to him about Chicago Style?

And I hate pineapple on pizza. I hate pineapple in anything other than fruit salad and ambrosia.

I don't think Chicago-style had hit the UK high streets in 1989. [Big Grin]

But with you on the hating pineapple thing. A thoroughly disgusting fruit. Though banana is one of my favourite pizza toppings.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
...I also love the pizza from the Seattle PCC markets. When I lived in Seattle in the 1990's, they didn't sell pizza by the slice but when I was visiting last July, some friends took me back there and I got some slices of freshly made organic pizza. Yet another reason why I'm planning on moving back to the Seattle area!

Several restaurants in Seattle have imported Neapolitan wood fired ovens and are making thin crust pizza with it. There are now enough of them that the price has dropped from super expensive to moderate and they usually use very high quality toppings. I don't think there's a whole wheat one though, I am not sure the Italian Certification board would approve. [Smile]
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Round.

And I choose a different one every time - it would be boring to always have the same.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EloiseA:
Nothing beats scrocchiarella (crispy thin crust) Roman-style pizza from a wood-burning oven, topped with a few anchovies, pecorino cheese, fennel seeds and a grinding of black pepper.

Welcome to the Ship, EloiseA.

Please make me a pizza!

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Home made thin crust, covered with sliced roma tomatoes from the garden, small pieces of cheese and topped off with a few fresh basil leaves.
Best with a cold beer.

I did once taste a pizza with onion and potato on top and was surprised to find it quite good.
Fruit of any kind does not belong on a pizza.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
... I did once taste a pizza with onion and potato on top ...

The Chicago Pizza Pie Factory in Belfast once served cabbage-and-potato pizzas on St. Patrick's Day* and they were much less nasty than they sound.

There's a pizzeria here that does one with steak, red peppers and avocado, which I admit sounds rather odd but is, in fact, delicious.

* They also offered a cocktail that was meant to represent the Irish flag, which involved layers of crème de menthe, Bailey's and some kind of orange liqueur, which was exactly as nasty as it sounds. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

One of my favorite pizza places near my work does a pie with very finely mashed potatoes instead of sauce, along with sausage and black olives. Surprisingly (unless you know the place), it's pretty durn good.

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The perfect pizza stays in the packet. Most of them look like road accidents
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright you snobs, who don't like pineapple on your pizza, I'm willing to make a concession - chopped figs. But the pickled walnuts stay!

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Alright you snobs, who don't like pineapple on your pizza, I'm willing to make a concession - chopped figs. But the pickled walnuts stay!

I'm with you on the pineapple, Quetzalcoatl, down to the massively inauthentic naan pizza, although the Arachnid household does have a takeaway rule that pizza shall not be ordered from any establishment also providing kebabs and curries (nor curry from anyone providing pizza). No good will come from it.

The best proper pizza I ever had was in Italy, from a wood-fired oven, just tomato and mushroom, but from a motorway service station. How is that even possible? You wouldn't get that at Leicester Forest East.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first discovered pizzas in the early 1980s my default pizza of choice used to be with ham, mushrooms, sweetcorn and pineapple. Sorry about that.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Ararchnidin

Don't tell the others, but I'm working on a bubble gum and chocolate chip cookie pizza, but there have been a few errors in production, so back to the drawing board.

Incidentally, joking apart, I do recommend anchovy and dark chocolate risotto - delicious, but the choc must be very dark, and not too sweet.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Cheese and pineapple is a tasty combination so I don't mind it on pizza - not my favourite but I'll happily eat it. Would rather have pineapple than green peppers or uncooked onion, neither of which I can stand.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016