homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Perfect Pizza (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Perfect Pizza
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely, it's 'authentic' pizza that's posh. Its poshness is avowed by the theological fervour with which its authenticity is credalized by its adherents.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't agree that authenticity == posh. Posh is so often artificial, overblown and created to impress through looks. Pizza Fundamentalists wouldn't describe themselves as posh, though their detractors might describe them as snobs.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
French bread or English muffin pizzas are great.

Thank you, dear. They are. It is best, in my experience, to toast the bread/ muffin slightly before applying the sauce, so as to prevent sogginess.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I can't agree that authenticity == posh. Posh is so often artificial, overblown and created to impress through looks. Pizza Fundamentalists wouldn't describe themselves as posh, though their detractors might describe them as snobs.

I have consulted my colleagues in the Conciliar Movement for Pizza Liberalization (CMPL), and they are happy to accept your formulation. However, this should not be taken as carte blanche - on no account should shredded lettuce be placed upon or adjacent to Liberal Pizzas. This goes beyond liberalization, and threatens anarchy.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thick slice of white bread, butter both sides. Smear one side with tomato purée straight from the tube. Top with slices of cheddar and fresh tomato. Bake til crispy. I lived on that when I was a student.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Necessity is the mother of invention. We used Prego in a jar, though.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
But, but but..

Pizza must have tomato.

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Right, but the olives that go into the olive oil are also technically fruit.

While both olives and tomatoes meet the botanical definition of fruit, neither meet the more intuitive and sensible definition. Namely that if you eat it with main course, it's a vegetable (especially if cooked), and if you eat it raw for desert, it's a fruit.

So olives and tomatoes are vegetables.

Grilled pineapple is the mark of a truly authentic pastor taco, which throws a bit of a wrench in your sensible definition.

While looking into this, I discovered that the Arkansas state legislature had wisely sidestepped the whole debate by naming the same heirloom tomato the state culinary vegetable and state botanical fruit. That seems to be a fine way to settle things.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Surely, it's 'authentic' pizza that's posh. Its poshness is avowed by the theological fervour with which its authenticity is credalized by its adherents.

Apparently Mario Batali has a reverse osmosis system in his New York pizza restaurant, so that he can remove all of the minerals from the water and add the appropriate salts to mimic Neapolitan water. While I appreciate that the minerals in the water actually do make a difference, I think we can all point to this as the level of authenticity that makes Pizza a bit too posh for its own good.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
But, but but..

Pizza must have tomato.

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Right, but the olives that go into the olive oil are also technically fruit.

While both olives and tomatoes meet the botanical definition of fruit, neither meet the more intuitive and sensible definition. Namely that if you eat it with main course, it's a vegetable (especially if cooked), and if you eat it raw for desert, it's a fruit.

So olives and tomatoes are vegetables.

Oh and by the way Mrs Beaky, on the availability of good pizza in Kenya.... combine the availability of fresh sea food and a large Italian community in Malindi and what do you have?

I think South Africans with their bobotie and Moroccans and Tunisians with their dried-fruit-rich tagines would disagree heartily with you. As would anyone who enjoys apple sauce with roast pork. People eat fruit as part of a main course all the time.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That bit is true, but they very rarely eat raw vegetables for desert.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

There are no pizza fundamentalists more fervent or devoted than New York Pizza adherents. New York pizza is not posh. Not even on the same planet as posh.

[ 12. March 2014, 18:30: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pizza is certainly not "posh" here (we don't use the word but I know what you mean). It's fast food. It also seemed to be the national food of Norway or at least students in Norway when my daughter was there. Frozen, put in your oven variety.

Upthread, it was stated that your oven can't go hot enough. Not sure what you think is hot enough. I make bread, pitas, pretzels and other similar products. My convection oven goes to 650°F (we use F for baking, as well as cups and ounces).

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well that was an interesting deviance from First Evening Pizza Syndrome (strictly, it's our second, but we arrived c 11 pm yesterday) so we were in that slightly disorientated and not hugely hungry state in which a smallish pizza seems like the answer. We even got the length of being seated in a pizzeria - when I looked at the large, and rather doughy items on the plates of the people at the next table and decided it was all too much. We actually ended up at the (Holy Hand Grenade of) Antioch restaurant, having a simple kebab and a perfectly splendid Coteaux d'Aix.

I'm slightly sorry not to have the chance to sample the local variant, because this far south in France the cuisine is beginning to creep towards Italy, and, as I remember from Nice and Genoa, there are some interesting pizzaoid fusions.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh! I think I'll go make some Marmite on toast....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Pizza is certainly not "posh" here (we don't use the word but I know what you mean). It's fast food. It also seemed to be the national food of Norway or at least students in Norway when my daughter was there. Frozen, put in your oven variety.

Upthread, it was stated that your oven can't go hot enough. Not sure what you think is hot enough. I make bread, pitas, pretzels and other similar products. My convection oven goes to 650°F (we use F for baking, as well as cups and ounces).

Yep, nowhere near hot enough for pizza. Pizza ovens are as hot as or hotter than commercial bread ovens.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Wow, I never knew that. I thought pizza ovens were just designed differently to allow more even baking, or something.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Preschool teacher special-- half a (forgive me) English muffin (sort of crumpety) dollop of prepared marinara sauce, shredded mozzarella-- mini pizzas!
Don't knock them till you've tried them.

This is true, although I go for the usual cheese-onion-tomato combo.

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't started this thread. I spent an hour this evening walking round Oxford trying to find somewhere that sold pizza by the slice. There was only one place, and their pizza slices all had salami on, which I didn't want.

I might have to get a packet of muffins tomorrow and make that my treat for the weekend.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One can make pizza in a lower temp oven, but the result is not the same. 750F to 800F (400C to 425C) is the typical wood-fired pizza oven range.
More than you wanted to know.

BTW, anyone who equates pizza with "cheese on toast" does not deserve to eat either.* [Disappointed]

*for the benefit of the hosts and humour impaired, this is cheek, not an insult.

[ 13. March 2014, 20:18: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
This is true, although I go for the usual cheese-onion-tomato combo...

I might have to get a packet of muffins tomorrow and make that my treat for the weekend.

That sounds yummy!

I like "stuff" on my pizza, but sometimes you just yearn for something simple. right?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep. Sometimes <purists should look away now> it just needs to be a toasted muffin with spreadable cheese.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

..or toast.

Especially sourdough toast.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Serious Eats has a comprehensive pizza section. Lots of recipes and pizza geekery as well as reviews (of both serious and mass-produced pizza).

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Serious Eats has a comprehensive pizza section. Lots of recipes and pizza geekery as well as reviews (of both serious and mass-produced pizza).

Nice!

I particularly liked this. The New England Greek style looks to die for.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

Marmite in pizza? [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some random observations:

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I had to look up arugula. The internet says we know it as rocket. In case anyone on this side of the Atlantic is wondering.

They are two different plants here. Rocket (Eruca Sativa), with rounded, slightly cressy-looking leaves - which I hate. Arugula, (Diplotaxis tenuifolia), also called wild rocket by some people, with more toothy mizuna-looking leaves, which I love. Both peppery but qualitatively different.

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:

The perfect pizza (for me) hasn't quite happened yet in my oven.

No, it wouldn't. Your oven isn't hot enough, and whilst pizza stones help, they're not perfect.

If you have a pizza stone and a gas barbecue with a hood you can do a pretty decent pizza on the bbq. Set the pizza stone over the grate part and let everything get stupid-hot. Make your pizza on a piece of tinfoil on a chopping board, then slide it off the chopping board onto the pizza stone, put hte hood down, and apply aloe vera to the burnt-feeling places on your forearms and face... pizza takes only a few minutes and produces a nice result.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Actually, the soapy taste (or not) is genetic. I'm guessing your Dad also didn't taste soap.

I've heard that too—but also that you can acquire the taste for the stuff.
I am one who has gone from loathing coriander/cilantro and being able to detect the tiniest hint of it in a meal to one who loves it and can eat handfuls of the stuff. And yes, it tastes a lot less soapy than it did. Hasn't happened with mushrooms, unfortunately. Nor guavas. As I sit writing this, my [diary-allergic] son is working his way through a bowl of guava and coconut milk sorbet and even though I'm in a different room the smell is making me gaggy...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
I'm in a different room the smell is making me gaggy...

Egg, boiled, fried or baked does this to me. My father would tell me that it was all in my head. My reply was "Yes, as that is where my taste-buds are."

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah but guava has a very strong smell. It is capable of stopping me in my tracks when passing a market where there is guava among the other fruit on a stall.

No I do not hate it, quite the opposite. However if you hate it I can well believe you can smell it at a distance you would not expect to smell other foods.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

Marmite in pizza? [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile]
Doesn't sound that bad to me! But SE isn't endorsing it anyway, it's just in the pizza news section.

--------------------

Mechtilde
Shipmate
# 12563

- Posted      Profile for Mechtilde   Email Mechtilde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best pizza ever was the pizza cappriciosa at Est! Est! Est! in Rome, which I used to get growing up. The usual single serving size, tomato sauce, prosciutto & mozzarella. Then a ring of mussels (in the shells) surrounding an egg. Purest pizza heaven.

--------------------
"Once one has seen God, what is the remedy?"
Sylvia Plath, "Mystic"

Posts: 517 | From: The cloud of unknowing | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016