homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Little Miss Know-It All, the Reformedstress (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Little Miss Know-It All, the Reformedstress
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What, no two-faced apology about how much better you've been these days? You do tend to get vicious when people see through your "clever little wind-up pixie" routine.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Anoesis, this is Hell, not Purgatory. Quit your self-righteous lecture and sod off.

You've posted at far greater length to less purpose, yet you're accusing Anoesis of delivering a lecture? You have some fucking cheek, I'll grant you that.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anoesis, this is Hell, not Purgatory. Quit your self-righteous lecture and sod off.

Actually self-righteous lectures are proscribed in Purgatory. This is the place.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forget shooting yourself in the foot. This is beginning to feel like watching as someone lodges their own axe in their skull.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll take the hatchet out of my own skull if you take the plank from your own eye ...

Or something like that.

As for cheek, it's my middle name.

As for everything else that's been said - guilty as charged.

But I still think Jengie Jon deserves a [Razz] for being right all the time.

And I know I'm not alone in that opinion ... [Two face]

[Devil]

But I'm the only one, as far as I know, who has started a Hellthread over it and taken the rap and the roasting that this entails. Not that I mind too much, I'm thick-skinned and I brought in on myself.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Passive-aggressive. [Disappointed] So where are they, then? The Ship is not exactly a place where shy little wallflowers hold back with their opinions. I don't see a queue of people lining up to give Jengie Jon a hard time. That's because she's a dignified poster who doesn't say things to deliberately wind other people up. I'm no expert on Reformed theology and I don't take offence at people like her who are.

If you're spoiling for a fight then I can't help wondering why, of all people, you picked on JJ.

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spot on Laurelin.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:
quote:

Passive-aggressive. [Disappointed] So where are they, then? The Ship is not exactly a place where shy little wallflowers hold back with their opinions. I don't see a queue of people lining up to give Jengie Jon a hard time. That's because she's a dignified poster who doesn't say things to deliberately wind other people up. I'm no expert on Reformed theology and I don't take offence at people like her who are.

If you're spoiling for a fight then I can't help wondering why, of all people, you picked on JJ.

Because sometimes she can be so bloody smug. I'm thinking of a discussion some time ago on preparations for reading lessons in worship, when she strongly implied, pretty much, that if you didn't take three hours (I think literally) to prepare a reading, you are not taking it seriously.
I don't think I'd have started a Hell call for her because like most people I recognise the quality and frequent very good sense of most of what she posts, and respect her for it, and as with any of us you have to take the rough with the smooth. But while I think that Gamaliel has over-reacted a bit, I can see where he's coming from.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have over-reacted and I know I'm not alone because people have told me ... but 'that would be telling' (as we used to say at school) if I were to 'out' them.

I'm actually quite sorry that I started this Hellthread - as I am whenever I start one. I keep resolving not to, but 'I can resist anything except temptation.'

Just because I call people to Hell occasionally doesn't mean I loathe them nor that I don't respect them either. I respect Jengie enormously and have learned a huge amount both from her posts and her demeanour and Shipboard behaviour.

Shame I haven't put it into practice ... [Hot and Hormonal]

It's not so much what she says, but the way that she says it sometimes.

I'm not unduly bothered about her intervention on the thread that triggered the Hellish OP but it just happened to wind me up ... 'If you'd read the original text' - which I bloody well had (or at least, one of them).

The implication was that Chris Stiles and myself were complete ignoramuses and that only she, the great and wise Jengie was qualified to comment.

I remember the incident Albertus was referring to and my reaction was the same. How bloody smug.

Sure, I annoy people. We can all annoy people. I probably deserve more Hell calls than I receive.

I dunno, it's just this bloody know-it-all impression she conveys sometimes, that and her Dad being the best and most knowledgeable person in the entire history of mankind ...

Hang around. You'll notice it.

[Biased] [Razz]

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I probably deserve more Hell calls than I receive.

True story.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have over-reacted and I know I'm not alone because people have told me ... but 'that would be telling' (as we used to say at school) if I were to 'out' them.

Yeah, yeah. Heard it before.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gamaliel is just having a go at Jengie 'cos she's on the "wrong" side of the Pennines......

In other news, some people's communication styles are different from others'. It is a truth universally acknowledged by me that this forum contains among its posting members a wider range of styles than I might have expected within a group of disparate entities sharing a common passion, so I'm not surprised to find that style over substance is known to raise its head.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Indeed.

No, not the lurkers ... the neighbours. But that's not the issue.

In fact, I've forgotten what the issue was ...

Oh yes ... Jengie knowing everything. Well, I do find that annoying at times. She's like a prefect.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Evensnot ought to a have permanent roost here.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Indeed.

No, not the lurkers ... the neighbours. But that's not the issue.

In fact, I've forgotten what the issue was ...

Oh yes ... Jengie knowing everything. Well, I do find that annoying at times. She's like a prefect.

Sure I am like a prefect (actually it means I am feeling threatened for some reason so go and think), but I tend only to post when I think I have something to contribute and read far more. I know I drop in and drop out, so try to even limit that posting.

I also do not take kindly to being told what I believe, everytime you say "Reformed are ..." you are doing that.

As to me being right, in this case it is simply I read the book. Something anyone can do from any tradition. Nothing Reformed in it.

Jengie

[ 12. December 2013, 17:49: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

What profiteth it thee to kick against the goads?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Fair enough, Jengie. But I'd read the book - or at least one of them, not the one you had in mind ... [Biased] ... and yes, I'd forgetten the details. When I looked them up, I found that you were right.

In fact you're always right.

Which is why I'm annoyed at you ...

Nothing Reformed about that.

[Biased]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For fuck's sake, would you stop with the sodding emoticons.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Don't look at them, then.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here just for you, Lamb Chopped calling me for being wrong as far as I can check correctly.

I will notice next time I get to read through the relevant pages if they are different, but Lamb Chops reference is the closest that I could find with a brief search.

If I am wrong I tend to shut up because otherwise I tend to argue. That does not mean I do not read and inwardly digest.

Jengie

[ 12. December 2013, 19:03: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Aaarrgghhh!!!

She's right again!

[Help]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
If I am wrong I tend to shut up because otherwise I tend to argue.

There's a lesson in there for us all. Isn't there, Gamaliel?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:

He's never learnt how to press 'quote' instead of 'reply', but by golly he's found the instant smilies and he's going to use them!

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Is this how you use the quotes function?

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:

He's never learnt how to press 'quote' instead of 'reply', but by golly he's found the instant smilies and he's going to use them!
If so, I'm learning and not before time. If not, forgive my ignorance.

As for the point about learning from Jengie Jon's point about not arguing and so on. Absolutely. She is right again.

'She has a daily beauty in her life which makes me ugly ...'

quote:
quote:

Indeed.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Indeed.
So fucking learn it already. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

How do you know I haven't?

Time will tell.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
How do you know I haven't?

You're still wittering on about it.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Is this how you use the quotes function?

Yes. Yes it is. Welcome to adulthood.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

What profiteth it thee to kick against the goads?
I merely agreed with the man.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

At least I've learned how to use the quotes function now, Marvin and the links function.

I'm cooking on gas. After 8,000 odd posts. Surely that's some progress, if not a cause for celebration as such?

I'm grateful to Orfeo, Boogie and other Shipmates for the directions.

You may live to regret showing me the ropes, but that's par for the course.

I'll stop mixing metaphors and leave you all in peace for a while.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey ho, she's at it again. Discussion of ecclesiastical biographies over in Heaven, she mentions forthcoming biography of pioneering woman Congregationalist minister, I say- with a [Smile] attached- that now we know what she's doing her PhD on. Intended in a friendly way and at any rate harmless enough, you'd have thought?

Reply:
quote:
No, I am doing my PhD on what I say I am.
with last five words hyperlinked to her homepage explaining her PhD. In other words, take the trouble to look me up, you Anglican slacker, before you dare say anything at all about or to me.

And a Merry bloody Christmas to you too, Jengie.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Make that a very touchy Anglican.

She's a bit of literalist our Jengie. Doesn't crack jokes that often yet (IMO) does not mean to cause offense. Might be her depression. *shrug*

[ 20. December 2013, 12:50: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

It could also be that she's well-meaning unlike you, EvenShite ...

Humourless? Perhaps. Overly literal at times. Certainly. Bit of a know-it-all? Yes, at times.

Malicious? Certainly not.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Ah well.

At least my shite is even. Lumpy shit does no one any good.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Albertus

You chose to try and basically claim I was advertising a book I was writing, which is against ship rules and you wonder why I answered as I did.

I think you could do with some self examination as well.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's got you twerps in such a tither? Jengie is writing a thesis. People who write theses live and breathe it. Constantly preoccupied, can't get it out of their heads, and constantly filter everything through the lens the topic provides. I see her as being no more guilty than anyone else of dissertationitis or thesism or whatever the condition may be. You pretty well have to be insufferable about your topic and chain of arguments to get the 'pass with minor revisions' which everyone wants (or whatever they call it in your universe-ity). The cure is finishing the damn project. So when's the thing going to be delivered to the committee?, that's the really good question.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Albertus

You chose to try and basically claim I was advertising a book I was writing, which is against ship rules and you wonder why I answered as I did.

I think you could do with some self examination as well.

Jengie

I can assure you, Jengie, that no such thought crosssed my mind. Whatever I may think of your manner, I know that you would not break the Ship's rules and I apologise unreservedly for the offence which I have evidently caused by appearing to suggest that I thought you might.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Thanks for that, I will take it that the implication was inadvertent and forget about it.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Thank you. I now understand why you responded as you did and I will forget about that too.

[ 20. December 2013, 19:48: Message edited by: Albertus ]

orfeo

# 13878

I''m thinking of renaming this thread "Place for people who've got the wrong end of the stick with Jengie to hug and make up".

Not especially catchy, I know, but informative.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I''m thinking of renaming this thread "Place for people who've got the wrong end of the stick with Jengie to hug and make up".

Not especially catchy, I know, but informative.

How about getaroom.com?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Let's start a 'We love Jengie Jon' thread in Heaven.

I'd be up for it.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Let's start a 'We love Jengie Jon' thread in Heaven.

How about you don't do that. Such threads have a habit if being closed very quickly.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

It's the thought that counts ...

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016