homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Happy New Year: or, Fuck Off 2013 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Happy New Year: or, Fuck Off 2013
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it's just a lot to handle, orfeo, instead of something you need to take personally.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I'm sure it is a lot to handle.

I'm not taking it personally, as I'm not trans. What little insight I have into being trans mostly stems from a period of my career some years ago where I was working on trans human rights issues. I'm also not going to pretend that the gay community doesn't have its own massive issues with accepting trans people.

It just doesn't seem to me like a good thing to list this in 'disasters that have befallen our family this year'. I see nothing disastrous about one of your children finally having the courage to tell you how they've been feeling for most of their life.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He didn't say it was a disaster, just as he didn't say she "would become a gay man" -- those were your words.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't invent the phrase 'gay man'. If you want to split hairs between 'living as a gay man' and 'become a gay man' then knock yourself out. Right after you tell me how many angels are dancing on this pin.

As for the rest, I am simply saying how it came across. We're on a thread about how awful 2013 was for people. The other entries for his children are about bad things. It was extremely jarring, for me, to read those entries about bad things and then read an entry about what is not, in my view a bad thing. A tough thing, yes, but it was jarring to have it tossed into the mix with major surgery.

[ 06. January 2014, 23:35: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

It just doesn't seem to me like a good thing to list this in 'disasters that have befallen our family this year'. I see nothing disastrous about one of your children finally having the courage to tell you how they've been feeling for most of their life.

What the FUCK do you know about the situation? "Most of their life"? How the fucking hell do you know that? Anything you have to say on the subject is utterly worthless, because you know absolutely nothing, so you and everyone else would be better off if you simply shut up.
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by David:
How the fucking hell do you know that?

Probability. I don't 'know' it.

--------------------

David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As for the rest, I am simply saying how it came across. We're on a thread about how awful 2013 was for people. The other entries for his children are about bad things. It was extremely jarring, for me, to read those entries about bad things and then read an entry about what is not, in my view a bad thing. A tough thing, yes, but it was jarring to have it tossed into the mix with major surgery.

Maybe some post-menopausal women will shriek at me for mentioning the Change of Life in the same post as major surgery.
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

Maybe some post-menopausal women will shriek at me for mentioning the Change of Life in the same post as major surgery.
Maybe. Depends if they think going through the change was a bad experience.

PS Fascinating verb choice, 'shriek'.

[ 07. January 2014, 01:13: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have to go easy on ol' David. Being the original Hellhost messed him up. Also, he's old and senile. Apparently.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
You have to go easy on ol' David. Being the original Hellhost messed him up. Also, he's old and senile. Apparently.

Go easy on me? I thought that was already happening.

Anyway, I'm not that old.

orfeo

# 13878

It's okay, I've put the cocoa on.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Anyway, I'm not that old.

of course you're not, dear.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Menopause? Fucking brilliant. You have no idea how good it is to be over All That.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that what Hellhosting does to people?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, the natural progression is as follows:

1) Rough-tongued eager nOOb.
2) Charming quick-witted razor-tongued Shipmate.
3) Embittered misanthropic but hard-working Hellhost.
4) Broken soulless husk Administrator.
5) Raving loon typing with their toes because of the straightjacket while staring at their spittle-flecked monitor.

David is phase 5.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

quote:
Yes, the natural progression is as follows:

1) Rough-tongued eager nOOb.
2) Charming quick-witted razor-tongued Shipmate.
3) Embittered misanthropic but hard-working Hellhost.
4) Broken soulless husk Administrator.
5) Raving loon typing with their toes because of the straightjacket while staring at their spittle-flecked monitor.

David is phase 5.

Yes, but I did the first 4 stages at the same time. Except the "hardworking" bit. And "charming"? There's no call for that sort of language around here.

ETA: Phase 5 isn't inevitable. Some Hell Hosts die before they get there.

[ 07. January 2014, 20:40: Message edited by: David ]

orfeo

# 13878

Is it possible to just skip past phase 4? That one sounds less fun.

--------------------

David
Complete Bastard
# 3

quote:
Is it possible to just skip past phase 4? That one sounds less fun.

I don't think you'll have any choice but to skip it.
orfeo

# 13878

ZING!

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
some of us follow the sequence 1-2-3-5-3.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Phase 5 isn't inevitable. Some Hell Hosts die before they get there.

I just realized that this is a threat. You complete bastard.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Phase 5 isn't inevitable. Some Hell Hosts die before they get there.

I just realized that this is a threat. You complete bastard.
I'd be happier if someone had nominated me in the 2014 Death Pool [Frown]
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
some of us follow the sequence 1-2-3-5-3.

*writes down comet's PIN*

EDIT: You realise, don't you, that all the regular Shipmates have completely abandoned this thread now, and it's become the plaything of current and former Hosts and Admins.

[ 08. January 2014, 06:26: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's like an episode of celebrity Big Brother.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who's going to do the nude shower scene?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

RooK and David together!

I knew santa was just late this year!

[Yipee]

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are limits you know.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Party pooper.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The shite is the limit?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
It's like an episode of celebrity Big Brother.

That is likely the worst insult I've heard in quite a while. Not saying your wrong, mind, but still....

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tear] lil b, you get me.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016