homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » You are a self-righteous hypocrite, pisstakebare (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: You are a self-righteous hypocrite, pisstakebare
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As you say, how you help the poor is none of my business.

Correct.

So SHUT THE FUCK UP, and stop trying to make everyone else feel guilty, then.

Or perhaps "do to others as you would want them to do to you" hasn't quite made it to your little brain, yet?

Pathetic.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We read the bible differently, EE.

Your views are as offensive to me as mine are (apparently) to you.

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny thing is that I have never seen the following verse in the Bible:

"Do to others as you don't want them to do to you."

Which version of the Bible are you using?

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In mine, there are two types of gospels: one for the rich and another for the poor.

It is up to the reader - under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit - to decide which gospel is for them.

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

[Confused]

--------------------

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

Well there you go, you don't believe it. That's fine. I do. Hence, y'know, bringing it up in conversation on the topic of blessing.

I don't care if you like it. I don't like your disgusting Evangelical nonsense. Live with it.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

I am not surprised you couldn't answer my question that exposed your flagrant hypocrisy. You rail against my 'evangelicalism' (whatever you mean by that), but you are the one who is self-righteously preaching at others, and yet get all offended when you are personally challenged. You can't take your own disgusting little medicine. Wimp.

The fact that you have evaded my challenge suggests to me that you almost certainly don't actually give a fuck about the poor, and you are just here to troll.

--------------------

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

Who's offended? It is a matter of conscience for me to not discuss how I give my time or money. You can ask, but I won't tell you.

If giving an opinion on a theological discussion board is 'preaching' then, yeah, I'm guilty.

But then so are you.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pydseybare:
In mine, there are two types of gospels: one for the rich and another for the poor.

I am very rich (by world standards) but I do try to follow Christ.

Impossible?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

Impossible without personal sacrifice, in my view, Boogie. Whilst one might be able to be rich and Christian, I don't think one can continue being rich and Christian.

Hence, the majority of us are not actually Christian. Scary, eh?

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Impossible without personal sacrifice, in my view, Boogie. Whilst one might be able to be rich and Christian, I don't think one can continue being rich and Christian.

Rude eh?

You have no idea how much personal sacrifice any one of us makes in our Christian walk.

Personal sacrifice can involve many things. Including building up wealth in order to give, and in giving of ourselves and our time.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by pydseybare
If giving an opinion on a theological discussion board is 'preaching' then, yeah, I'm guilty.

This was your opinion:

quote:
I'm not sure the correct response to the fact that we are in a minority of the world population that has proper sanitation is gratitude. Shame is far more appropriate.
Yeah, of course, you have every right to express your (in this case ridiculous) opinion, but the implication is obvious: we in the 'rich' west should feel shame that we have decent sanitation.

For many years I worked for a charity and was personally involved in developing various projects in Africa, South Asia and Eastern Europe. The only person I ever met, who expressed the kind of sentiment you have expressed, was a vicar who went to Africa on what could only be described as an "ego trip" with very little to do with alleviating any kind of need. Oh yes, he claimed to be all weepy about the fact that he had electric lights in his house and the poor buggers in Africa didn't.

Yeah. A fake if ever I saw one.

You don't fool me, pydseybare. Crap on as much as you like...

[ 01. January 2014, 12:31: Message edited by: EtymologicalEvangelical ]

--------------------

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

Make of it whatever you like. I don't think one can continue to be rich and Christian. You don't have to agree, you don't have to believe you are rich, you don't have to agree as to what a Christian is.

It is impossible for me to say about anyone's personal condition given that I know nothing about you, even if I wanted to.

--------------------

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

Yeah, whatever you like EE. Can I get back to discussing theological issues now?

I'll just have to remember to avoid reading your contributions in future.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Yep, let's get back to discussing theology* so we can avoid reality.

It's fun to see someone on the run...

*(I'm going for 263,657 angels on the pinhead. Any further bids....?)

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Scary? Only in the sense that it's a perfect explanation of why Christianity declines the richer a society gets. If you tell people there's a straight choice between being rich or being Christian they will choose to be rich. And who can blame them?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

That's an interesting point, Marvin, but I doubt there is much British teaching that a choice needs to be made between being a Christian and being rich.

If there was, I can't see that EE would be getting so cross about it.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Make of it whatever you like. I don't think one can continue to be rich and Christian. You don't have to agree, you don't have to believe you are rich, you don't have to agree as to what a Christian is.

I'm willing to bet that you have a considerably better standard of living than someone in the Third World. For a start, you have access to a computer, which you probably own. You probably do this from your own home, which you have bought or rented without the aid of social security and welfare handouts. You might even have a job which enables you not only to meet that rent or mortgage, but also to have money over, and possibly to go on holiday or run a car. You probably own CDs, DVDs and devices to play them on and I bet you've had at least one mobile phone. And so on. This is affluence in the eyes of a fair proportion of the world.

On your own scale you would then rank considerably lower therefore than a Filipino Christian, who, having been deprived of almost everything in the recent typhoon, is therefore a truer Christian than you. The same might also be said of a Syrian Christian struggling to stay alive in a tent in winter in the snowy mountains of Lebanon, both of whom would trump you any day.

I take it that by your reckoning, any Christian philanthropist wouldn't count as a Christian either, no matter how much good they did, simply because they weren't living in extremely reduced circumstances on the edge of subsistence.

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

That's a good question, Ariel.

It seems to me that we live in a world of extremes. Somewhere in the middle is a lifestyle that all people should be able to live at - which, I believe, is above the bare subsistence level, but far below the level most Western Christians live at.

The demands of Christ seem to both require a reduction of the wealthy towards that level together with increased sensitivity to those who live below it. In my view.

If we can't or won't do that, then we're probably better off not describing ourselves as Christian.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
The demands of Christ seem to both require a reduction of the wealthy towards that level together with increased sensitivity to those who live below it. In my view.

The Samaritan was not required to injure, deprive or neglect himself as a precondition for helping the victim of violence. I mean this is pretty obvious, really.

quote:
If we can't or won't do that, then we're probably better off not describing ourselves as Christian.
You speak only for yourself, of course. I doubt any well-informed genuine Christian will pay any attention to your 'opinions', which clearly have no basis in reality (and are the result of a total misreading of the Bible - a book that you have admitted elsewhere you don't fully believe in anyway. So more deceit and hypocrisy).

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, the absolute moral certainty of idealistic youth.

You are young, aren't you pydseybare?

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

Not as young as my teenage daughter.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

It seems to me that we live in a world of extremes. Somewhere in the middle is a lifestyle that all people should be able to live at - which, I believe, is above the bare subsistence level, but far below the level most Western Christians live at.

My son lives that lifestyle - by choice.

He's an atheist.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How can one who implies they've sacrificed so much to help the poor and follow Jesus have all this time to post on message boards that require a computer and access to the internet that the "poor" don't have?

[Confused]

Jesus told the rich young ruler to sell everything he owned and give it to the poor. Those wanting to go on and on about following Jesus and serving the poor should sell all that they own and give it to the poor. That includes electronics. I have a hard time being told via the internet that Christianity is all about helping the poor. Only a hypocrite can do that.

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pardon this untutored oik, but I thought Christianity was about our relationship with Jesus, not what we do or what we do with what we've got. OK, stewardship and good works are not to be disregarded but come from the relationship, rather than our faith consisting of deeds and, it has to be said, pious pronunciamentos.

I'm sure pydseybare will be back to refute that, but it'll take a lot of backtracking on his previous posts.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Pardon this untutored oik, but I thought Christianity was about our relationship with Jesus, not what we do or what we do with what we've got. OK, stewardship and good works are not to be disregarded but come from the relationship, rather than our faith consisting of deeds and, it has to be said, pious pronunciamentos.

I'm sure pydseybare will be back to refute that, but it'll take a lot of backtracking on his previous posts.

I'm not backtracking on anything I've said. I don't believe in relational Christianity as you've described it above.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I'm not backtracking on anything I've said. I don't believe in relational Christianity as you've described it above.
That seems very, very sad.

If you are a Christian (and I'm asking because I'm genuinely confused now) how did you become one? Did you pass an exam or join a club?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:
That seems very, very sad.

If you are a Christian (and I'm asking because I'm genuinely confused now) how did you become one? Did you pass an exam or join a club?

Inspiration from God the Holy Spirit. I thought all Christians believed that.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Inspiration from God the Holy Spirit.

Ah, so it's not about self-flagellation and asceticism after all!

You were getting me worried earlier.

Backpedalling is great exercise. I am happy to see you're keeping fit...

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well there you go, you don't believe it. That's fine. I do. Hence, y'know, bringing it up in conversation on the topic of blessing.

I don't care if you like it. I don't like your disgusting Evangelical nonsense. Live with it.

EE isn't Evangelical.
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway
EE isn't Evangelical.

Actually he is, but only in the sane etymological sense.

The kind of dystopian "good news" that is advocated by the minions of the fake sadistic bastard 'god' - properly known as "kakangelicalism" (and incorrectly known as "evangelicalism") - is of course not advocated by EE, because he is a lover of truth, not lies.

Kakangelicalism covers a multitude of delusions, including hyper-Calvinism and lottery Arminianism. It's generally favoured by people who have a deep love of hating the human race, and relish the thought of the great barbecue at the end of days, when they can salivate over the screams of those whom their Christianised version of Molech (aka Satan) has decided to fry in hot oil (just for the hell of it, you understand).

I am therefore pleased to say that I am a *true* evangelical, not a fake one, like certain people, who shall remain nameless.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How many people are part of your denomination, EE?
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

All those who believe in justice, love, reason and sanity.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Would that be according to your personally sanctioned definitions, your Holiness?
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Generally speaking, sane people do not just make up their own meaning of the ideas of justice and love etc. (as some Christian cults do, such as the delusions I mentioned in my last but one post), because society wouldn't really function on that basis.

I am sure you know that. If you don't, then I imagine you must find basic functioning in the real world quite a challenge. Fake 'evangelicals' tend to cope with basic functioning as members of the human race, by leaving their religious fantasy at the church door, as it clearly doesn't work in real life.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, EE, but from where I'm sitting you and Pydseybare look like book-ends.

You're mirror images of one another.

You both make pietistic pronouncements and chunter on like self-righteous prigs.

Pydseybare is Pharisaical about everyone else who doesn't share his apparently altruistic concern for the poor.

You can be Pharisaical about Calvinists and others who disagree with you.

I can be Pharisaical about just about anything that takes my fancy too.

We can all be prats.

It's always easier, though, to see the prattishness in others than it is to see the prattish telegraph pole stuck in our own eye.

Just sayin'.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

I've tried my utmost not to fall out with you, Gammy, but you're sorely provoking me.

If pydseybare is self-righteous, then I don't where that leaves you. You are someone who just sits on the touchline criticising those who play the game, and yet never join in. At least pydsey has an opinion, even though it's pathetic.

Where does that leave someone who can't even be arsed to have a point of view at all?

You think your ambiguity trip protects you from any criticism. But all it makes you look is insufferably smug and condescending.

Who do you think you are, a fucking umpire? Piss off, go and get your kit on, and then come back and play the fucking game. Twit.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

Lighten up.

I have plenty of opinions. I express them here.

I'm not ambiguous on all points. I think that both you and Pydseybare talk sense at times and at other times you are both pains in the arse.

On this occasion you are both pains in the arse.

Happy now?

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

I notice that you haven't given any opinion on the content of the dispute between pydsey and myself. In other words, Gamaliel, you're just being a pompous prat.

What do you think about how Christians should deal with poverty? Do you have a view on this?

Nah, didn't think so.

Troll.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Bollocks.

I've got plenty of views on how Christians should deal with poverty.

That's not the issue here.

The issue here is that both you are Pydseybare are being pompous, self-righteous prats.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Great non-answer.

Now why does this evasion not surprise me?

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

It's not an evasion.

I don't see what I'm trying to evade.

I've said that I believe that there are lots of ways that Christians can tackle poverty. There are plenty of initiatives they can support in this regard. Some may even find themselves called to live an alternative lifestyle.

I know a bloke who does this. A kind of Christian urban eco-warrior. I admire his stance and his way of life.

He doesn't come on here boasting about it.

Meanwhile, Pydseybare comes on here and pisses everyone else off by acting like some kind of prissy know-it-all. So I can understand your calling him to Hell.

However, as I've found myself, when we call people to Hell we often risk a roasting ourselves.

I'm simply suggesting that you are just as prissy and self-righteous as he is, as I am, as anyone else is.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC, there is this beardy bloke has said it is difficult to be rich and Christian. He gets a fair bit of mention around here, he does. Some people here swear by his words.

The questions, then, are what constitutes wealth and what constitutes one's duty to the less fortunate.
That would make an interesting discussion.
But have fun pissing on each other, I suppose that is fun too? [Confused]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

This is Hell. Interesting discussions belong in Purgatory. I'm happy to have a discussion there about this issue if anyone cares to join me.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The difference between Purg and Hell is civility, IMO, not content. Though, given the content of this thread, I can see the mistake.

I considered starting such a thread in Purg, but given the acrimony of the topic caused on a thread of a different topic, I think it would wind up down here regardless.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Fair points. However, I'm not sure that a Purgatory thread on this topic would necessarily end up here. The only reason this one has is because Pydseybare has hacked people off by coming over as a prissy and self-righteous hypocrite on other boards here on Ship.

The comments that others have made shows that EE isn't alone in being antagonised by this. Beeswax Altar and others have found Pydseybare to be a pain in the arse on this particular issue too.

I've found him to be so myself.

I'm sure he'd find me a pain in the arse on other issues.

We can all appear pains in the arse to one another at times. We are all pains in the arse. It's part of the human condition.

EE wouldn't have started this thread in the first place if Pydseybare had simply been stating his views. It's the WAY that Pydseybare has been stating his views that has caused the aggro.

I'll start a new Purgatory thread on the poverty topic before I go to bed.

Partly because it's an interesting topic and I'd be interested to hear what Shipmates have to say - including Pydseybare if he doesn't fart about and act in a holier than thou kind of way, and partly to piss EE off as he thinks I'm avoiding his question.

No, EE, I'm not avoiding your question. Loosen up.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Plenty of threads in Hell are offshoots of Purg threads, like this one.

Like its Purgatorial parent, this thread has developed and there's nothing wrong in that. Why bother with yet another thread?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Hosting

Gamaliel, you have created the new thread* in Purgatory but not put a link to it, so I'll do that here: Tackling Poverty (in Purgatory)

*nb: they are called threads for a reason.

Hosting

Sioni Sais
Hellhost

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remember the time Jesus pointed out a women who gave 2 mite (farthings) while others tossed in much more ? Then Jesus said they gave from their abundance but she gave all she had . Mk.12:41-44 and Lk.21:1-4 the point Jesus was making is that it is the attitude of how we give not the amount. Are we trusting that God will provide or so sure of ourselves that we just nod towards God ? It's not the amount that matters it is how it the attitude of ones heart.
blessings all and a Happy New Year

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Make of it whatever you like. I don't think one can continue to be rich and Christian.

Can one continue to be a judgmental prick and be a Christian?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016