homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » You are a self-righteous hypocrite, pisstakebare (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: You are a self-righteous hypocrite, pisstakebare
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Naked capitalism leads to people chained to sewing machines and not given potty breaks, or (say) factories with suicide nets so the workers who aren't chained down can't escape that way.

Or is that failed capitalism? (Or untried capitalism?) If there was truly free global movement of labour, the workers would have as much power as any other supplier.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want to earn more, learn more. Stop fucking about in school and get some decent qualifications. Then you will get a better job.

The statistics prove that over a working lifetime a graduate will earn more than a non-graduate, and even more than someone who has no qualifications.

That applies to the west of course. Not to the truly poor of Africa. I don't class any westener as poor, just lazy or thick. They have their uses however don't you EE?

But true poverty - Afican style - is a tragedy and more importantly an embarassment. It needs fixing.

All this bollocks about we need to get everyone to a middle level which is richer than the poorest and poorer than the richest is economic illiteracy. We need to get eveyone up to the richest - up to western levels.

And that is best done with free, honest trade, no corrupt governments and bureaucracies stealing from the people, and no wars.

The levelling up will take care of itself under those conditions.

Oh, and a Christian is everyone, regardless of your politics or personal wealth. Sorry, God has already taken care of that for you.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
All those who believe in justice, love, reason and sanity.

I am an evangelical and a Charismatic. I believe in Justice, love, reason and sanity. I

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry I messed up somewhere.
I do not hold any of those opinions that you spouted EE. I want to see hurting people helped. Don't tar us all with the same brush.

As to the poverty issue. The love of money is the root of all evil not money its self. You don't have to be poor to be Christian but you do have to have a right attitude towards your wealth. God amazingly uses those Christians who have money (and I include those who live in the West and are not living on the street or sheltered housing) to help those in countries that are in serious trouble or there governments are crap. In an unfair but free society God use the haves to help the have nots.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Calm down, Hugal.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Naked capitalism leads to people chained to sewing machines and not given potty breaks, or (say) factories with suicide nets so the workers who aren't chained down can't escape that way.

Or is that failed capitalism? (Or untried capitalism?) If there was truly free global movement of labour, the workers would have as much power as any other supplier.
The workers are not a supplier. The workers are a billion independent suppliers, and the powerful can play divide-and-conquer at will, driving wages and conditions into the ground. What can stop them? In an unregulated capitalism, nothing. Save, maybe, armed revolution. Which looks better every day.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016