homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Offenderati (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Offenderati
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am disgusted that there are new stamps being released with children's television characters on them. Do the royal mail not know how offensive these are?

Firstly some religious groups like the exclusive brethren don't watch television. How are they meant to be part of UK society when even stamps discriminate against them?

Secondly, isn't Peppa Pig a...pig? Our Muslim and Jewish friends (don't we all worship the same God after all) will be unable to use these stamps.

Thirdly, Postman Pat is being represented. As the Royal Mail is being privatised, isn't this just an attempt to get around public discontent with this right wing decision by using a well loved children's character on a stamp?

Fourthly, Windy Millar is from Camberwick Green. I don't recall any ethnic minorities on this programme. Tis outrage.

Fifthly, Dougal, Bagpuss and Shaun the Sheep are all animals, what about those people with allergies?

Sixthly, is Uncle Bulgaria just being included to welcome those arriving from Romania and Bulgaria. It's political correctness gone mad I tell you.

Alternatively we could all grow up and realise that there are actually important things do get upset about - Syria, South Sudan, the government's abuse of the poor and disabled etc etc and stop giving a fuck about things that are not give a fuckable.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Penny for your thoughts. Got change for 2 pound?

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Andy Pandy and Teddy sharing a basket? Well, I think we can all see the 'lifestyle' agenda being pushed there, can't we?

[ 05. January 2014, 10:32: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Captain pugwash and crew left out again!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am shocked, saddened but unsurprised that there are twelve male characters and only two female (Peppa Pig and Jess the Cat).

The significant figure of Emily has been entirely air-brushed out of the representation of Bagpuss. Madam Cholet would have been as better choice than Great Uncle Bulgaria, but possibly the designers shunned this competent, managing female Womble out of a fear of strong females. Why was Windy Miller chosen in preference to Mrs Honeyman and her baby? I think we all know; the fecund woman represents a powerful symbol of not-male.

One of the characters, Postman Pat, represents an unhealthy representation of hetero-normativity, as every child in Greendale looks like him, sharing a clearly identifiable genetic trait (abnormally large nose.)

Rarely has the patriarchy been more oppressive than in the subliminal message passed onto our toddlers by these characters.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chive:
Alternatively we could all grow up and realise that there are actually important things do get upset about - Syria, South Sudan, the government's abuse of the poor and disabled etc etc and stop giving a fuck about things that are not give a fuckable.

No. These are not important issues at all. What is important is that I can show off how much more intellectual and "right on" I am than you are

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And that's the last thing I have to say on the matter because I don't post in Hell as it's below my dignity

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I notice a complete absence of anthropmorphic cows. This is clearly a calculated outrage against the Hindu community. Where's Keith Vaz when you need him?

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

In fact I don't even read Hell as I am so much more clever than the rest of you

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spike, don't you have a really important meeting you should be hurrying to?
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

I'm not reading this thread because it's anti-Semitic, but I'm the only person who realises this because I'm much cleverer than you.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not reading this thread because I don't have time.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got to pretend to read some worthy books so I can review them from the blurb and show how academic I am.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

And I'm not reading it because it has outlandish foreign words like 'Madam Cholet' in it which someone like me can't be expected to have encountered before.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't be silly, Firenze. "Madam Cholet" is one of Flaubert's greatest novels. I wrote a review of this when it first came out.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I never read fiction.
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget, though, Genesis is fiction, and I read the Bible because I'm Christian (I think), when I am not living in a pluralistic society.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Waitaminute.

Wait.

Jess is FEMALE???

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Waitaminute.

Wait.

Jess is FEMALE???

Would U make it male?
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is an outrage.

All of them are first class stamps. What about the poor people who can't afford the postal rates? This elitism has got to stop. Now!!!!!!11!!!!!11!one!!1!!

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Waitaminute.

Wait.

Jess is FEMALE???

[Eek!] Wikipedia says Jess is male!! Surely Jess is short for Jessica, or Jessie? [Eek!]
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesse like my grandfather and Wod of Jesse's stem or something that has always sounded vaguely smutty.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it is OK for any religious group to use the pig stamps as long as they use a sponge instead of licking.

As to the rest of it, I am offended because they only use children's cartoon figures instead of adult cartoon characters.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Pooks:
quote:
Waitaminute.

Wait.

Jess is FEMALE???

Would U make it male?
No it would make it 'Juss'. Which is what toddlers scream before flinging their Tiny Tots Training Beaker at you.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chive:

I do hope this was intentionally ironic.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
quote:
Waitaminute.

Wait.

Jess is FEMALE???

[Eek!] Wikipedia says Jess is male!! Surely Jess is short for Jessica, or Jessie? [Eek!]
But the Wikipedia article has multiple issues, it says; so feel free to continue believing whatever you like.

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@ Spike: [Overused]

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

I'm not reading this thread because it's making my brain hurt.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Pooks:
quote:
Waitaminute.

Wait.

Jess is FEMALE???

Would U make it male?
No it would make it 'Juss'. Which is what toddlers scream before flinging their Tiny Tots Training Beaker at you.
Ah! A voice of experience I take it? I am firmly of the opinion that tiny tots are really little demons in disguise. I am shocked that the OP has neglected to mention that those odd ball characters on the new stamps are in fact portraits of real heroes. It was they who managed to keep those little beaker-tossing-demon-tots from killing the rest of humanity.
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Captain pugwash and crew left out again!

That's because it doesn't really include Roger the Cabin boy.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The now-evil Royal Mail (which was our property, given away to their mates by the current government, bunch of... [cont. p94]) is simply following on from its stamps last year which featured the different faces of an alien time traveller. Everyone who understands the Bible knows that only God can control time and of course that He only created life on Earth, so these so-called stamps were in fact an attempt to indoctrinate our children in anti-Christian beliefs.

(Any resemblance between myself and a person of the same name who posts on the Doctor Who thread is entirely coincidental... [Paranoid] )

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A stamp with Dougal?

Why do you guys get all the goodies? NZ Post has never been so imaginative as to feature my hero.

It's not fair!

Huia - flouncing off to find what else she can be offended by.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only understand who these characters are because I studied Greek at uni, which I went to even though I as raised by a one-armed piano tuner and am therefore lower-class, and despite the fact that my biological family was all killed by a tragic misunderstanding at the Soylent Green factory. How I can be bothered to worry about such outrages when I'm obviously a miserable 70-year-old virgin with acute tendonitis is a testament to how clever I am.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RooK, we've seen your tendonitis and it's anything but cute.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will not contribute to this thread because, despite my advanced knowledge of Hebrew and Ancient Greek, I do not understand most of the basic English words you hoi polloi are using.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a bit of a non sequitur, innit?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

I'm not reading this thread because it's making my brain hurt.
I'm reading this thread because I bloody well have to. In terms of reasons to be offended, I'd say I win.

Also, you're all damn lucky I happen to know what this thread is about without a link.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Andy Pandy and Teddy sharing a basket? ...

Nothing wrong with that - we share our sofa (and indeed the rest of our house) with numerous teddy-bears of varying proportions.

What does bother me is the omission of the Clangers.

[Disappointed]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
That's a bit of a non sequitur, innit?

Translation please!

I'm not familiar with 'innit'.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Such a display of ignorance shows that it is fortunate you were never in a position to teach others.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am glad Windy Miller has been included. The incontinent of flatus are so often overlooked.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope Mr Benn is on them. I always liked the shopkeeper as I do like to highlight successful small businesses.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Though I do wonder how successful he was, given that he never had any other customers and never charged Mr Benn for anything.
I'm sure you're pleased, though, by the programme's satirical depiction of the many transformations of your sometime MP: every week a different costume - Viscount's robes, 60s technocrat's white coat, C17 Leveller's sea-green ribbon and buff jerkin...

[ 06. January 2014, 14:28: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not offended. I am entertained by the fact that you think I have character flaws but the reality is that you don't understand my INTJ ways and that misunderstanding leads you to think that I'm not perfect.

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I only understand who these characters are because I studied Greek at uni, which I went to even though I as raised by a one-armed piano tuner and am therefore lower-class, and despite the fact that my biological family was all killed by a tragic misunderstanding at the Soylent Green factory. How I can be bothered to worry about such outrages when I'm obviously a miserable 70-year-old virgin with acute tendonitis is a testament to how clever I am.

Really enjoying this thread for it's light-heated banter.

Until you waded in insensitively.

Guess we need to toughen up and ignore you.

Meanwhile, everyone else, take the piss because it saves stains on the sheets.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh - and yes, I am only(?) 62 and haven't been a virgin since age 13. Maybe too young but i certainly enjoyed it. Didn't you?

Maybe you should try.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A sock don't count Leo.

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do you think the banter is lighthearted, leo?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I resent the fact that you think there isn't a line of women outside the sacristy every Sunday just waiting to join me for sherry to discuss how wonderful my sermon slagging off Christianity was, before joining me in a discussion of the only three things I like to talk about—thick books I'll tell you I've read, my hard theological positions I tell you are correct, and sex.

Ladies, I say it's the biggest ever, and I'm never wrong. It'll be over quickly, because I'm confident.

[ 07. January 2014, 04:33: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
It'll be over quickly, because I'm confident.

if I had a dime for every time I heard that...

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016