homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Secret Of The Universe (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Secret Of The Universe
Frank Mitchell
planked
# 17946

- Posted      Profile for Frank Mitchell   Email Frank Mitchell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Awhile ago I discovered the Secret Of The Universe. Admittedly it's been discovered at least twice before, but people decided they weren't interested and forgot what it was. Simply, to paraphrase Galileo: "The Book Of Nature is written in the Language Of Mathematics." Hey, it worked for Newton, Maxwell, Einstein...

Originally it was thought of by Pythagoras around 500 BC. This meant Galileo had a problem: In his time he seemed to be saying the Physical Universe was controlled by abstract Mathematical Ideas, and this was regarded as a form of Magic. People like Francis Bacon and Isaac Newton actually believed they themselves were practising a form of Magic.

Nowadays a more likely view is that Mathematics is a form of Logic, so the Physical Universe must follow some kind of mathematical pattern, because it can't do much else.

--------------------
Faictz Ce Que Vouldras

Posts: 72 | From: Cheshire, England | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You do know it's very gauche to post while drunk, don't you?

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Frank Mitchell
planked
# 17946

- Posted      Profile for Frank Mitchell   Email Frank Mitchell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a Karate Expert, and I used to be a member of Mensa. So I don't care what you say.

--------------------
Faictz Ce Que Vouldras

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frank Mitchell
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve here with this thread.
As regards the OP are you suggesting that all aspects of the universe can be expressed in terms of mathematics and are you asking us to debate this?
As regards your second post are you spoiling for a fight or are you perhaps unaware of how you are coming across?

Either way, I'm not sure hell is going to be good for you.....(says she running away quickly!)

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He has been asked to be more definitive in his OPs, but does not seem to agree. He is either experimenting to determine how to do what he wants or taking the piss.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Snore]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck, Frank. You're going to need it. Karate skills and Mensa qualifications don't do anyone a lot of good here. Low cunning, a thick skin and a general ability to ignore WTFAYO scorn are probably more use. This is a place of heat, not light. Deliberately. You might learn some skills in how to survive here. But not a hell of a lot else. Trust me.

[ 11. January 2014, 16:27: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frank, it's a few months since we had a truly weird poster on board and I'm afraid I have to tell you that you don't have any of the charm that particular Shipmate had (tho' she could be a right PITA).

Anyway, if you want to post in Hell I can't stop you (it's an open house), but do take notice of the guidelines for it, because posting here invites offensive replies and as far as I can tell "LOSER" is tattooed in big letters across your forehead. That's just a warning, in Christian love you understand.

With the benefit of my experience (not that of being a Host, 'cos that has no perceptible benefit) the possible outcomes are:

Lots of offensive replies: your cravings for attention have been satisfied.

Few if any offensive replies: your status as a boring bastard has been truly rumbled.

[edit: grammer]

[ 11. January 2014, 16:59: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Frank, it's a few months since we had a truly weird poster on board and I'm afraid I have to tell you that you don't have any of the charm that particular Shipmate had (tho' she could be a right PITA).

Ah, they have to come from Northern California to exude that charm...it's in the terrior. [Tear]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What the Hell is the terrior. Is that an iPad 'improvement' on the original or something?

[my iPad corrects it to 'terroir'. Now that's weird. Is it a message about the secret of the universe? i before o except after double r? Neat).

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Mitchell:
I used to be a member of Mensa.

I'm not surprised they rescinded your membership.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

WHAT?! Had a truly weird poster? You are relegating Me to NORMAL?!
How dare you impugn my character so! If you do not apologise I shall be forced to extreme measures.
You have until dawn. If, by then, there has been no retraction of this heinous slur, I shall tilt your bowler hat askew!

Fair warning has been given.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm a Karate Expert,

Reminds me of that after-shave called hi-karate . Alleged to be a fragrance so irresistible to females that you needed to be a Karate expert to fight off their attentions.

Ahh the 70s , I miss them so .

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
What the Hell is the terrior. Is that an iPad 'improvement' on the original or something?

[my iPad corrects it to 'terroir'. Now that's weird. Is it a message about the secret of the universe? i before o except after double r? Neat).

No, no. She means terrier. Even the dogs are weird there.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

WHAT?! Had a truly weird poster? You are relegating Me to NORMAL?!
How dare you impugn my character so! If you do not apologise I shall be forced to extreme measures.
You have until dawn. If, by then, there has been no retraction of this heinous slur, I shall tilt your bowler hat askew!

Fair warning has been given.

lB, my apologies, I meant a new weird poster. We have any number of eccentrics and oddballs, some of whom are members of the Crew. We haven't many recent ones with redeeming features though.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

OMG. My iPad is right! Terroir is a genuine word and what is more, the right one!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Even the dogs are weird there.

1. Insulting.
2. True.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What the ever lovin' fuck?

Sioni, did you leave the freak door unlocked again? We talked about this!

It is entirely too early for this. The secret to the universe is simple: if someone gets me good coffee immediately, I won't destroy it.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
OMG. My iPad is right! Terroir is a genuine word and what is more, the right one!

..and life goes on in typical fashion. It will be a freezing cold day-- here before anyone thinks to put one of the many, many brilliant things I say in the Quotes File, but make one typo or run one stats rebuild unannounced and I Am Legend.

Seriously, if I ever get hit by a bus, y'all will be scrambling to share memories,and all you'll come up with is," Remember the time we all gang-banged her over that misplaced i?"

You think YOU got it bad, Frank...

--------------------

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I used to be a member of Mensa.

A great demonstration of how intelligence and common sense don't always go together
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

picks imaginary speck off Sioni's bowler, checks its alignment

Spoken like a gentleman. Many thanks, kind sir.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
What the ever lovin' fuck?

Sioni, did you leave the freak door unlocked again? We talked about this!

If the SOF freak door is left unlocked, it would result in a net loss of posters. The host lounge would be empty.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Is that your answer to everything?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Kelly Alves: Is that your answer to everything?
And life. And the Universe.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're ALL clever here. Even me at the wee-wee end of the pool. The trick is to be kind and encouraging. Ha!

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Yep - and I'm wearing my dressing gown [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

HEY, GUYS! YOU SEE THAT??? HE GOT THE JOKE!!!

(sorry, that was to LeRoc.)

[ 11. January 2014, 17:53: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Awhile ago I discovered the Secret Of The Universe. Admittedly it's been discovered at least twice before, but people decided they weren't interested and forgot what it was. Simply, to paraphrase Galileo: "The Book Of Nature is written in the Language Of Mathematics." Hey, it worked for Newton, Maxwell, Einstein...

Originally it was thought of by Pythagoras around 500 BC. This meant Galileo had a problem: In his time he seemed to be saying the Physical Universe was controlled by abstract Mathematical Ideas, and this was regarded as a form of Magic. People like Francis Bacon and Isaac Newton actually believed they themselves were practising a form of Magic.

Nowadays a more likely view is that Mathematics is a form of Logic, so the Physical Universe must follow some kind of mathematical pattern, because it can't do much else.

Since you are taking this view down to Hell, I assume you hold a different theory?
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm a Karate Expert, and I used to be a member of Mensa. So I don't care what you say.

I bet you are 14, can't hit the floor when you drop a hat and have trouble because your smart phone is smarter than you.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frank Mitchell
planked
# 17946

Actually Mensa didn't rescind my membership. I got disillusioned with them because they wouldn't support my Secret Society Dedicated To All Kinds Of Perversion.

--------------------
Faictz Ce Que Vouldras

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if that's a joke or true, also not sure which is more scary
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

(Web crash)
The fact he has a society or that he's making a joke

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Oh, bother. It is supposed to be more fun when the toys interact, but I'm not sure this one can keep up. Don't get your hopes up, Chocoholic.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For your amusement and amazement, I will now proceed to dismember your stupid little claim to a thesis:
Being transcends any description we might formulate of its nature. There are always aspects that will elude the limited capacity of our language, certain things that our finite intellects will never understand, that, try as we might to approximate it by language, mathematics, drawings, etc., we will never actually capture the thing itself. Reality is infinite in its complexity; our language and intellect, finite. As Pascal, Wittgenstein, Kuhn, Locke, Kant, etc. realized, there are, to put it bluntly, very important truths about the universe—yes, scientific truths—that can never be adequately expressed through any description, even (or especially!) mathematical ones. A photograph of a thing does not capture all the nature of the thing itself.

And just so you know, any public domain freely available translations of any of these philosophers are going to be absolute shit, except, perhaps, for Locke—there have been new critical editions and important scholarship about all of them in the last 50 years, so if it's available for free on the Internet, it's not worth a pail of piss in an argument.

Any questions before you try to change the subject on to some tangent you hope the rest of us don't know as much about so you can try to save face? Not that I'd recommend that, of course; you may have gathered that I'm not the only person around here with multiple degrees in philosophy, or history, or theology, or physics, or pretty much anything else you might try to argue. Hell, if I hadn't had the dumb luck to notice that City of God thread you tried to derail into Plato, and then into that weird Zoroastrianism thesis that was getting demolished on its own thread, I'm sure IngoB would have stopped by to give you a truly right and proper Augustine lesson. Frankly, I'm a little sorry he didn't, if only to point out things I'd missed. Of course, if he hadn't done it, I can name a half dozen people, some of whom are regulars in Eccles, Kyrig, and DH, who also could have done it.

The fact is, simply asserting things without serious support to your argument ain't gonna fly here. I felt bad when you had to be standing in front of the "there are several legitimate scholars of the history of philosophy on this board" wrecking ball a few times in your first week here, but, after you got smacked by it a few times, we'd have thought you'd have learned.

So learn from your fuckups, schmott guy.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, now that I think about it some more, an addendum, especially about "learning:"

Yes, there are people with more degrees than grains of sands on the beach here. There are people who got thrown out of school for being too hard to work with. There are also people who never finished school, or who did, but didn't care. You know what? They all have valuable things to say, because they know what it is they know, and are aware of what its value is.

Just as an example, I'm not going to ask Kelly about editions of Aquinas's De Potentia, about which version I should use for which question, and when I should use an English translation because the translator was given access to an approved but unpublished critical edition of the Latin text. Okay, I might, just because her answer telling me to get over myself would be worth it, but that's beside the point. However, I would want to know whether she thought Aquinas was justified in making some of his statements, or what she thought of Thomas's concept of God.

So maybe that's what I'm getting at here: you don't have to be a know-it-all to discuss a topic. I mean, it's nice to have one handy to clarify technical points, but you don't have to be one. What you do need is to know what you're talking about, to pull your head out of your ass and get over yourself (seriously, don't go recommending public domain editions of Plato or Augustine or whomever when someone's questioned your textual scholarship), to engage honestly, and, above all, realize what it is about your own experience that gives you an insight into the topic at hand. Don't try to be the guru speaking from on high; it never ends well.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Ah, the Dunning-Kruger Effect strikes again.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

..and life goes on in typical fashion. It will be a freezing cold day-- here before anyone thinks to put one of the many, many brilliant things I say in the Quotes File, but make one typo or run one stats rebuild unannounced and I Am Legend.

Seriously, if I ever get hit by a bus, y'all will be scrambling to share memories,and all you'll come up with is," Remember the time we all gang-banged her over that misplaced i?"

You think YOU got it bad, Frank...

West Coast self-pity always comes out the same. Chill, Kelly. I learned a new word today that wasn't an anagram of chihuahua. (And my iPad completed the spelling of that for me. Ain't technology wonderful.)

Thanks Frank, this is going real well.

[ 11. January 2014, 19:34: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Actually Mensa didn't rescind my membership. I got disillusioned with them because they wouldn't support my Secret Society Dedicated To All Kinds Of Perversion.

If you were too perverted for Mensa, you must really be a tin-foiled freak!

...I speak as a member, of course. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
quote:

Ah, the Dunning-Kruger Effect strikes again.
For some reason I read that as the Kadir-Buxton method. Some sort of vaguely hononymic/word association aberration in my head related to genius-nutters who bash people. I think I must be tired.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, Mr. Kadir-Buxton would be an awesome Shipmate.

But this one will do for now.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Homonymic Jack.

[ 11. January 2014, 21:19: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:

I bet you are 14, can't hit the floor when you drop a hat and have trouble because your smart phone is smarter than you.
[Killing me]

Memo to Barnabas-- no thanks, you can keep your weather.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Memo to Barnabas-- no thanks, you can keep your weather.

Nice! Most attractive thing about California would be leaving that behind. Plus the baseball of course. And the 49ers. And the surfing. And ... and

Too old, Kelly. Don't much like chihuahuas either. Or terriers.

[See! i comes before e and after the double r. But it comes after o which comes after the double r. Simples .. Just practising an unlikely funeral address is all]

[ 11. January 2014, 22:24: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:

In the game of Hell, you're pretty lucky so far. Getting off lightly with the odd accurate denigration thrown in for balance.

But here is a good lesson for visits to Hell

Do.Not,Paint.A.Bullseye.On.Your.Ass.

One is bad enough; two is just plain silly.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frank Mitchell
planked
# 17946

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Being transcends any description we might formulate of its nature. There are always aspects that will elude the limited capacity of our language, certain things that our finite intellects will never understand, that, try as we might to approximate it by language, mathematics, drawings, etc., we will never actually capture the thing itself. Woffle woffle woffle...

You're just envious because I'm not as tedious as you.

--------------------
Faictz Ce Que Vouldras

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Being transcends any description we might formulate of its nature. There are always aspects that will elude the limited capacity of our language, certain things that our finite intellects will never understand, that, try as we might to approximate it by language, mathematics, drawings, etc., we will never actually capture the thing itself. Woffle woffle woffle...

You're just envious because I'm not as tedious as you.
au contraire.

you're far more tedious even than Ariston.

you're being a complete waste of all of our time and energy. Why are you here? What is your point?

It's like you're a 3 year old who walked into a houseful of grown-ups having cocktails, screaming that it's fingerpainting time.

you're lost, you're outgunned, and you obviously escaped your legal handlers.

Now, get with the program and read up on the Ship - why we're here, what we talk about, and what each board is for - and then step the fuck up. Or, go find where all the other 3-year-olds are fingerpainting.

Your noise is putting me off my scotch.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frank, what do you consider to be the secret of the universe? For me, I would argue that it is that all of creation is in relationship. Not that that is a particularly secret secret. (I quite like that last sentence).

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016