homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Celebrity Welly Brigade (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Celebrity Welly Brigade
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See my sig, if the cognitive dissonance of ranting about donation without putting your hand in your wallet gets you.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's also unfair to just look at the cause that's in the news this minute and only count the contributions to that. They already keep a dozen things funded through "The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry." Who knows how much time and money they pour into that. They may feel that the starving children or the war veterans they support are as important as this flood.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I would prefer to work with these Links given by Arthur Rank Centre which does a lot of work with Rural Churches.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
Mine was entirely a joke. Bad I'll agree.

Unclench.

Oh sweetie, there was no enmity in my remark. I just wished you'd made an effort.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
It's also unfair to just look at the cause that's in the news this minute and only count the contributions to that. They already keep a dozen things funded through "The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry." Who knows how much time and money they pour into that. They may feel that the starving children or the war veterans they support are as important as this flood.

Also, notably, there is the Prince's Trust, and I quote from their website:

"The Prince's Trust was founded in 1976 by The Prince of Wales. Having completed his duty in the Royal Navy, His Royal Highness became dedicated to improving the lives of disadvantaged young people in the UK, and began The Trust to deliver on that commitment."

The Prince's Trust has helped many people since then and he hasn't lost interest in it over the years, either.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And Duchy sales in Waitrose, the profits from visitors to Highgrove house and various other incomes are donated to the Prince of Wales' Charitable Foundation.

(I so can't believe I'm doing this, I'm so not a royalist, but I got rubbed up the wrong way by the inverted snobbery and chip-on-their-shoulder nastiness of some people on this thread and bothered to look.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exclamation Mark:

The royals were in Datchet at 5.45am and were still there at 5.30pm.

There were portaloos for some of the people putting out sandbags, those nearest the only pub with functioning plumbing used the pub loos.

Guess what: princes eat and drink just like everyone else.

Do grow up - yes, we've all read about your own hands-on experience during the F&M outbreak. Just accept that the younger royals are prepared to do their bit, with or without cameras being present - although they'd far prefer no cameras.

And Harry has very nice manners and was very appreciative of my cousin's cake.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our beloved Prime Minister went on a tour of drought affected areas over the weekend, officially to "listen to the problems of the people ding it tough", but in reality to try to boost an insecure popularity rating by announcing some support plans. As his luck would have it, he could not drive to the town of Bourke because unexpected rain brought flooding on the road. Perhaps you can borrow him for a while and your rain will stop.

The UK PM and equivalent are in the position of all political leaders. If they go and visit, they get damned for just looking and not helping out. If they don't go, they get damned for indifference towards the people who are suffering, whether that be flood or drought.

As for the comments on the young royals. I am a republican and have been since I started to think of such things. But I see no need to be offensive, as offensive as Exclamation Mark, to them.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

And Harry has very nice manners and was very appreciative of my cousin's cake.

Ok, the guy was nice to a Shipmate. He is officially Our Guy.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Exclamation Mark:

There were portaloos for some of the people putting out sandbags, those nearest the only pub with functioning plumbing used the pub loos.

And presumably, shit.
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David:
quote:
Exclamation Mark:

And presumably, shit.
Somehow, I doubt they eat and drink shit.
Unless it's freshly harvested swan shit.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh lawks, the humour down here is wonderful, isn't it? Every day, as I wake up and remember I'm a Hellhost, I wonder what delightful jokes I'm going to get to read.

I mean, sometimes they're so good they even make grammatical sense!!

[ 18. February 2014, 12:56: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016