homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Safe from Kidnapping (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Safe from Kidnapping
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy New Year, weight-losing people. I'm still working on gaining weight myself--pregnant--but I'll certainly be working on losing it in a few months.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hennah:
[Tentative de-lurk]

Hello, All. I've been hovering around this thread for a bit, picking up tips, but I think it's high time I contributed... following a viewing of Christmas photos with me thinking "who's that lard-arse?" and having a moment of horrible realisation, I am officially On A Diet. Yikes.

SO, (deep breath), I am currently 14 stone. To put this in context, the maximum upper limit for my height (5'7") is 11st 6. I did Weight Watchers a few years ago and went from 12st5 to 11st3ish, so I know it works, but it's flippin' expensive and a faff to fit in meetings, so I've recruited my mother (used to teach teenage boys, can be exceedingly strict when required) to be my accountable-to person, weigh-in every week, and rather than paying for ww meetings I'm going to put the money in a pot and when we reach a target, Mum and me are going to do something nice with it. Wish me luck!

And by way of contribution (rather than just me pouring out woes), here is a fab recipe that was pretty healthy to start with but has tonight been adapted into even healthier and still yumptious version:

(I am a lazy cook so generally measure in mugfuls rather than weights, it's less bother...)

Broccoli and Oatmeal Soup
Original Version/Super-healthy Version (WW Points)
2 tbsp olive oil (8)/squirts of no-cal cooking spray (0)
One normal onion or six spring onions (0)
One head of broccoli (0)
One mug of porridge oats/oatmeal (3.5)
Three mugs semi-skimmed milk (6)/Three mugs skimmed milk (3)
Three mugs vegetable stock (0)
Salt and Pepper (0)

Chop the onions and soften in the oil. Add the oats, stir and cook for a few minutes. Chop the broccoli into bite-sized florets, slice the stems and chop into similar-sized bits. Add to the pan and cook for a few minutes, keep stirring. Add the milk and stock, bring to boil, cover and simmer for 10 mins, season to taste.

If you divide it into five portions it's 3.5 points per helping for the original recipe, 1.5 points per helping for the positively-angelic one.

It's a bit like a savoury porridge - that sound really odd but it's delicious, I promise! It thickens as it cools so if you're saving some, don't worry if it sets solid - once heated again it'll runny up.

Hen [/Re-lurks]

Resurrected as the last post on the old thread - I am clearly a thread-killer.

Also currently wanting to positively hurl myself off the wagon and into a vat of Ben&Jerry's. But hey, The Will Is Strong. So far.

Happy New Year All!

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, this year

• Drink less beer
  • Get more excercise
  • Try to eat sensibly
Would be nice to get my waist to match my inside leg measurement. If I can get it less, even better.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spike, we have a walk on 2nd January and a fitness thread in the Circus - really trying to help (me as much as anyone)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2011 saw me drop ten Kilos, from 97 to 87Kg. My goal this year is to lose at least another 5 to 10.

There, I said it.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm trying to get my head around a broccoli porridge... I might adapt that with whole barley.

December 2011 has been a really nasty month for me, weight-wise. I haven't gained a ton -- but I've gained 9 pounds since I last saw my cardiologist, late last Spring I guess it was?

I doubt I gained all nine in just this month -- but it wasn't apparent to me until I temporarily dropped gym in the mornings when I got sick. Taking antibiotics, swigging Nyquil like there was no tomorrow, missed work... at first I was afraid it would kill me, then I wished it would hurry up and kill me. Only just now perking up a bit.

Monday, Lord willing, it's back to the gym!

And, by Monday, a re-direction of attention to portion control. My love affair with food has got to slack off.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear - the weight has been creeping up this year and I'm starting the new year needing to lose 10lbs or so. Trouble is there is still Christmas Cake to finish....

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a lapsed poster on here -very keen to join in again if there's room for me! [Biased]

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just weighed myself for the first time in a couple of weeks and am very surprised that I have not gained at all in that time. [Smile]
So there are just 4 lbs to come off for me to get back down to my goal weight, I have changed my WW status back to losing and will be rigorous in recording what I eat again.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm determinedly going to try and lose some more this year. Having put yet more weight on in the summer, am pleased to say that I have been gradually losing since September. Have had a blip over Christmas. But now I WILL get back in to good food and exercise habits. Am aiming to drop at least another dress size. (I don't own scales, so have a belt that is giving me an idea of what I've lost.)

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christmas cake to finish, and enough chocolate in the house to last until Easter. Can I through it all out?

Back walking. Need to drop 8 kg.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a stone to lose. [Waterworks]

May I join the thread?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello 2012! I lost 3 stone between babies and managed to lose baby weight after last pregnancy which is all good...

... but I still have 2 stone to go to be a normal bmi and would like to lose 2 and a half ideally.

I'm still recovering post baby/operation and am still quite anemic so I think exercise will take a while to start but I want to get on top of food now.

Here's to a much healthier 2012 [Smile]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First weigh-in since 28th Dec starting point... 6lb gone! [Yipee] I know it's just the Christmas extras going, but it feels like a good start. Downhill from here...

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go Hennah! [Overused]

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done Hennah!

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy belated New Year (don't get to the Ship very often, on MyFitnessPal *all* the time!)

I've been on MFP for 120ish days now, managed to lose a bit over 7kg (14ish pounds). Aiming to lose 10 kg (20ish pounds). Christmas took a bit of a toll on me, but I seem to have just stalled for the past two-three weeks instead of gaining a lot.

I'm back on the wagon and hoping to lose at least another kilo or so before we emigrate to the UK in late Jan. [Ultra confused] [Yipee] (Excited and scared)

Good luck to all in our post-Christmas/ New Year's endeavours!

Cheers,
EJ

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm considering going back to MFP, but I needed to quit for awhile, I was being obsessive and neurotic. I dont think I'm really cut out for the numbers game. I started weighing myself 6+times a day, weighing every crumb of food, and guilting myself into bad behavior (i.e. skipping whole meals, etc) over minor infractions. it happened the last time I did the counting game, too. I invariably do well at first, then slow, then get anal, then start the starve-then-binge game, cheat on the numbers, stall all weight loss, and function miserably.

I decided a few months ago to just quit caring for awhile and focus my energy elsewhere, after I started counseling to deal with the neurosis part. what's funny is it wasn't the counseling that shook me out of it, it was the fact that I needed counseling!

I've done great, actually - not losing but not gaining... until the holidays. I let myself go back to eating gluten, and it kicked my ass. basically six weeks worth of tummy trouble and almost 20 lbs gained. since US thanksgiving! not okay.

I'm back off the gluten and already feeling better as far as the GI issues go. we'll see if the weight loss can follow along. (sugars are my really killer, need to quit those. scary. I'm so addicted.)

if not, maybe I'll tiptoe back into the counting thing. I'm wary of it - it makes me really lose sight of the important bits and become this obsessive accountant.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I kind of use MFP to keep up with other people, but as I am actually doing Slimming World and nothing is forbidden I kind of ignore the numbers. I know what classes as my 'free' food, even if MFP doesn't agree.

If I calorie count obsessively I get very psychologically unhealthy very quickly.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet (et al.) Weighing in frequently doesn't help me. I make a practice of only weighing in first thing in the morning one day a week. (Sunday, for me) and keeping track on an Excel spreadsheet (I can be obsessive about the formulas instead of the pounds/kgs.)

Portion control: Limit eating out, and use smaller plates. It really works for me. A small but filled plate feels more satisfying than a half empty large plate.

Limit carbs, esp. complex carbs/sugars: Mercifully I don't have (never really did) a sweet tooth. I do on rare occasion splurge on a small bowl of no-sugar-added ice cream.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Luckily I'm a very loose type - couldn't be obsessive about something if I tried (much to some of my bosses' frustration!) so I'm fine estimating calories. Being in New Zealand, most of our food isn't listed so I have to guess that the thing from Asda or Tescos etc. is a similar thing. And I don't weigh anything (I use exact portions if the thing comes already weighed i.e. meat or if I use half a cup of rice etc).

I would probably lose more quickly if I were more pedantic, but I'm trying to live like I could live for the rest of my life... and I've got a lot of other things to do with myself right now!

Also, I'm determined not to turn into one of those crazy running coves. (Bless them and all, I just have other hobbies that I'd rather spend my time on!) so moderate exercise does well for me.

Anyhoo, each to their own! I think a large part of the battle is learning what works for you.

Cheers,
EJ

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in. The husband is away for 2 months with work, so I figured this would be a good time to start some healthier routines without his love of carbs and ice cream to distract me. (His love of exercise counteracts them for him, but not me).

Now he's actually got on the plane and left me with only a cranky turtle for company, I am doubting my own ability for self-control, and the motivation actually get some fresh air and exercise.

I'm trying MFP but don't want to get too calorie/number obsessed. We'll see...

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in, too. Having carb-loaded my way to 10 extra pounds during a very stressful fall, I'm determined to stop gaining before it's totally out of control. You'd think the fact that my diabetic brother recently had a gangrenous toe amputated would have given me pause before I stuffed another fistful of caramel corn into my mouth, but nooooooooooo [Disappointed]

Having recently read Sugar Nation, I'm really trying to focus on eating in a way that will help me not to crash during the afternoon, which is when I'm most susceptible to the call of the cookie.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
dropping again - down four from whenever that last post was. makes me wonder if the cat was standing on my head and I didn't know it. [Biased] good to be moving in the right direction, anyway. makes it worth it.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any advice on how to avoid bread? I don't eat that much, it's just so bad when I do.

I'm thinking that while my own personal chef is away, and I actually have to buy my own groceries (oh, the horror!), I should just not keep any in the house.

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

that was my rule - no grain-based anything in the house. now that I've adjusted the boys get to have bread for PB&J and cheerios. doesnt bother me anymore. purge the pantry!

my buggabo is sugar. I have about 48 hours, then it's all out.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

came across this and wanted to share. making it my desktop photo for awhile.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...it's the more that I worry about!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liberty:
Any advice on how to avoid bread? I don't eat that much, it's just so bad when I do.

I'm thinking that while my own personal chef is away, and I actually have to buy my own groceries (oh, the horror!), I should just not keep any in the house.

What kind of bread do you usually eat? For example if you get the hefty German wholegrain sort, it's much kinder to your body and fills you up better than softer white bread.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Great Stuff Comet! [Smile]

Down another 3lbs here - now Week 2 of my post-Xmas campaign and I seem to remember that Week 2 is often really hard for me (and grumpy children this morning doesn't help!)...any tips for that Week 2 feeling? [Big Grin]

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi All!

Just popping in because over Christmas I used up all the 'breathing space' that I left myself when I set the weight goal I reached about 18 months ago. But that was the point of building in breathing space! So I have 4 kilos to lose and have given myself a couple of months to do it, which should be fine. I just need to work out the strategies to employ when both my flatmates are slender things who can not only stop eating when they stop feeling hungry but also walk past open packets of biscuits and chocolate leaving them entirely unscathed!

I think I'll grab my lunch then go for a little walk. At least the new flat is a little further from work than the old one - that automatically builds in 15-20 minutes of extra walking on work days.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by harmony hope:
Great Stuff Comet! [Smile]

Down another 3lbs here - now Week 2 of my post-Xmas campaign and I seem to remember that Week 2 is often really hard for me (and grumpy children this morning doesn't help!)...any tips for that Week 2 feeling? [Big Grin]

might be worth talking to the kids about how this is the wrong week to cross you. also - explain to them why this is important, so asking for junk food will just tempt you. get them on your "team". it helps. (though, when I am being weak, I sometimes want to growl at my well-meaning children who refuse me access to the cheese. dangit.)

no more sugary stuff after midnight tonight. I have a bunch of ice cream to get rid of. I'm tempted to "accidentally" leave it out on the counter and let the dogs take care of the temptation for me. [Biased]

alternately - hey boys! Ice cream for dinner!

I need to declare the quitting-sugar thing here publicly in hopes it will challenge me into sticking to it. sugar is worse than crack for me.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I need to declare the quitting-sugar thing here publicly in hopes it will challenge me into sticking to it. sugar is worse than crack for me.

missed edit window. further - I'm "quitting" things with added sugar, not fruits, etc. (but no dried fruits and they seem to all be sugared up) and I'm allowing myself honey, for now, in hopes that that will be my methadone as I ease off the stuff. I happen to know that if I get desperate I can make a (really kind of disgusting) slurry of almond butter, honey, and cocoa powder to feed any bad chocolate urges. it works, but it's not exactly Godiva so hopefully I wont just become hooked on that.

kitchen purge today. cooking up the last of the chocolate chips into cookies for the guys who plowed me out Friday, and either pawning off the last of the candy canes on the boys or dropping them off at work.

I WILL beat this.

(warning: especially crabby comet alert for next week or so.)

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet

Have you looked at any of those "No Sugar" books? If not then try getting hold of one. Not just for the bad things it will do but because it will give you a bit of biochemistry that might mean that you are better able to beat the craving. My understanding is that sugar is a stable door keeper for allowing pleasure hormones out of the stable and into your brain. It basically hold the door open rather than gives pleasure itself.

Yes I have to keep that addiction under control as well, why do you think I was reading the book in the first place. Oh that and mum is diabetic.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
quote:
Originally posted by Liberty:
Any advice on how to avoid bread?

What kind of bread do you usually eat?
That's right, all breads are not created equal. I've become fond of spelt bread, which is hard to find but there's a farmers-market chain around these parts called Sprouts that carries it. Only 10 grams of carbohydrates per slice, and one of those is fiber.

Look for high-fiber bread and note carefully the carbohydrate count on the label.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Thanks Comet - I think the "team" thing is great and usually the girls are very good at it but today has been a total write-off I'm afraid on the healthy eating front...

However "tomorrow is another day!" and I will pick up the baton tomorrow and launch once more into the breech (mixing my metaphors as I go!) [Smile]

--------------------

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just joined a workplace weight loss challenge. Everybody contributes $20.00 and competes to see who loses the greatest percentage of body weight during the next three months. One of our staff doctors will do weigh-ins and keep track, and the winner gets all the money.

Just the incentive I need to move my (sizeable) butt! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

....and the dirty tricks have already started. Someone placed Lindor chocolates in the mailboxes of everyone participating.

Must. Resist. [Help]

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

That's quite funny about the sneaky chocolates in the mail box. Why don't you just put them in the box of the person you want to sabotage (and start a chocolate swapping war!)

In my weight-loss news, I'm buggered. I only went and broke my damn toe in the weekend so pretty much all kinds of exercise are ruled out (not even stationary bike!).

I had lost the Christmas pound but I just cannot stay under 1200 calories with no exercise! And we've had lovely family dinners out the last two nights, and another birthday next week and then we're on a plane for 27 hours and staying with family 'till we find jobs and a flat! (Throws up hands).

I'm thinking if I manage to maintain over the next few weeks I'll be doing pretty well.

claudine
Shipmate
# 12441

- Posted      Profile for claudine   Email claudine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not trying to lose weight but I do need to cut down on sugar, so I'll tag along here if that's OK. First I need to do something about what's left of the Christmas chocolate [Frown]
Posts: 355 | From: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh EJ, that's annoying! I hope the toe isn't too painful, but I don't have any helpful suggestions for exercise. Just moving around will be more of an effort, but I guess you'll want to do as little as possible of that. It might be worth trying to do some arm or upper body strength stuff - I know I totally ignore my upper body with most of the exercise I do.

I am doing a small happy dance as a few days of paying attention to how much I eat/do has lead to a kilo disappearing over the last few days. Of course, I set myself up for a good start by doing my first weigh-in when I was probably retaining a bit of water and by fudging the needle on the scale up to a whole kilo when it was really just below that, but it's good for confidence! Keep on keeping on everyone.

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I discovered this morning that my favourite trouser suit has mysteriously shrunk in the wardrobe over Christmas, so I think it's time to be a good girl again for a while.

Last year, lured by Auntie Doris' enthusiasm, I joined Slimming World, found it great and lost a stone and a half (21lbs) and successfully kept it off. Until now. So will go back on the SW plan for a few weeks.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So just wondering how everyone's doing. I went on maintenance for a month and am now cutting down again for a month just to see what I can get this body to do. I've been weightlifting, power walking, and running and have been thrilled with the way I'm getting stronger, faster, and leaner.

So how are you doing with your goals?

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

Sounds like you're really doing well, Flausa - good for you.

It's the final weigh-in tomorrow for my workplace Biggest Loser competition. I haven't had the energy to do much besides regular walking, but I've managed to lose about 12 pounds in the last three months; it won't put me in the money, but I at least I haven't embarrassed myself. Hopefully now that I'm moving on to a job that won't eat my evenings and weekends, I can actually muster enough oomph to up the ol' exercise and get rid of the last 15 pounds.

[ 11. April 2012, 17:53: Message edited by: Meg the Red ]

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I'm back on monitoring and watching my intake. I've been pretty good the last few months as far as eating right, but after an epic eating binge on easter I decided it was time to walk the straight-and-narrow for awhile. plus, it's time to shed the extra winter weight.

things have changed also, in that I've developed a pretty dramatic gluten sensitivity. I knew I was prone to gut problems before with it, and gave it up after christmas. but now, I can't "cheat" anymore - even the littlest bit makes me really sick. like, miss-work-sick. so I'm having to change habits which is an interesting learning curve, but in the long run it's all for the good.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been careless for a few months and have gained a few pounds as a result. I've gone out a notch on most of my belts, and most of my jeans have become snug. But I'm back on my regimen (Atkins Diet) and am confident I'll lose the pounds again -- and hopefully some more!

This time of the year in Arizona, the "snowbirds" (temporary residents who have fled harsh winter climates) are starting to pack up and return home, so the swimming pool will be relatively empty once again, and I can resume my swimming regimen. The pool is too crowded with the snowbirds all here. I live in an over-55 community, and the "old people" as I call them don't swim -- they walk back and forth in the water, and always at 90 degree angles to the lap lanes. So it's very difficult to swim laps with so many snowbirds in the pool.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Flausa's amazing - she's turned into an ironwoman!

Good luck to Comet, Amanda B and Meg.

I've been doing poorly on weight loss for the last three months. Moving country is unexpectedly disturbing to all sorts of things (much more expensive, takes much longer to get set up, more admin than expected).

We left New Zealand at the end of January and we've only just gotten a flat a few weeks ago. I start my job next week. So I've been in limbo and waiting about for a long time.

I've been logging on and off on My Fitness Pal but haven't actually lost any weight since I left NZ (well, I've fluctuated by about a kilo but haven't gotten lower overall). Last year I lost about 7-8 from my initial goal of 10 kilos. (15- 17 pounds from a goal of 20ish).

In the plus side, I haven't gotten a lot fitter and more toned from walking hours most days.

I need to go food shopping now and fill the house with fruit n veg!

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi folks,

Is there anyone on MFP who would would like to friend me (pretty pliease *bats eyelashes*)? I've signed (back) on to do some food tracking, after I noticed that I'll go days where I just have tea & toast for dinner and then wonder why I have no energy to do anything...

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's your MFP name?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

ecu - I'm tkacomet on MFP. not the most regular of posters but I'd happily add you!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016