homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Safe from Kidnapping (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Safe from Kidnapping
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tuesday is one of my 500calorie days, as I am quite busy and don't generally miss eating - but Shrove Tuesday is not a good day to be fasting. [Frown]

I made a batch of pancakes, but even a one-egg batter makes 9 pancakes. Luckily Mr RoS likes pancakes, and has immense capacity.
He had 3 mushroom-stuffed pancakes for lunch, and this evening had six with an orange and cointreau sauce.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm visiting relatives in Edinburgh for a couple of days and cannot do my usual fast or manage my calories so I'm taking some days off and fasting on Friday when I'm back home. But it isn't so bad as you can't snack at someone else's house. I can't do my daily aerobics either but a 4 hour walk around town today made up for it - especially the 287 steps up Sir Walter Scott's monument.

[ 12. February 2013, 23:10: Message buggered about with by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found the 500 cal day on Sunday fine - and have had much less of the addictive 'hunger' since - hurrah! So goodbye Sunday lunch, hello veggie soup!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I found the 500 cal day on Sunday fine - and have had much less of the addictive 'hunger' since - hurrah! So goodbye Sunday lunch, hello veggie soup!

[Big Grin]

[Overused] great stuff Boogie!

Mrs. S - bewailing the fact that giving up coffee doesn't save me any calories [Eek!]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
I seem to be going through a bout of ill-health, both physical and mental, and am self-medicating with carbs. [Disappointed]

And I lost 3 lb . [Confused]

I do think I would find this weight loss thing easier if there was a clearer relationship between what I eat and what I weigh.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I seem to be going through a bout of ill-health, both physical and mental, and am self-medicating with carbs. [Disappointed]

And I lost 3 lb . [Confused]

I do think I would find this weight loss thing easier if there was a clearer relationship between what I eat and what I weigh.

Joanna, I do think there is a time lag between eating and its effect on your weight. I also think that is why so many people give up easily - they diet for three weeks, lose some weight, then they stop shedding pounds and get discouraged, whereas if they kept at it, in a week or so the weight would start to shift again.

I think that happens when people reach their target weight - for a while they can go back to eating the way they used to and it doesn't affect their weight, then suddenly - wham! and the weight piles back on again because they didn't adjust to their different food needs at a different weight.

That doesn't sound very encouraging but I think if you *know* that that's what happens, you have a better chance of keeping going.

YMMV, of course, but that seems to happen to me.

Mrs. S, wishing it was easier than it is!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been away this week so no fasting or aerobics but so far the damage doesn't look too bad, probably just a pound which I'm hoping to knock back off when I fast on Monday.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The latest research says there is a time lag. Basically you gain about half the amount you alter your eating by in the first little while but the rest takes up to two years to come through. So your weight fluctuation are partly a result of what you have eaten over the last two years as well as your current eating pattern.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tina
Shipmate
# 63

- Posted      Profile for Tina   Email Tina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I join you? I've recently started going to the gym 2 or 3 times a week, and am about to start on sorting out my eating (after next weekend is over).

I'm not really up for the 2-fast-days-per-week thing, as I tend to get headachy and nauseous when I get really hungry, and also if I get really hungry, once I start eating I can't stop.

My current plan is to join Slimming World, firstly so there'll be some filling foods I can eat plenty of, and secondly so I don't have to count Every.Blessed.Thing I eat.

--------------------
Kindness is mandatory. Anger is necessary. Despair is a terrible idea. Despair is how they win. They won't win forever.

Posts: 503 | From: South London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Tina, welcome to the madness. I'm also doing slimming world, not the while fast day thing.

I'm struggling to be motivated. I've lost a stone and a half since the summer, and while I could do with losing some more I've lost all motivation. I'm feeling and looking better than I did, and have to say didn't think I'd ever lose any, so am now lacking the motivation to keep going. Any ideas anybody? (Doesn't help that I am studying lots at the moment, and missing the chocolate motivation!)

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Welcome Tina [Smile]
Surfing Madness, you have done amazingly well to lose that much! What motivated you to start dieting before? Perhaps you need to re-evaluate your reasons then and why you want to lose more now. That might help you set a new target.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Re: studying, I'm the opposite. When I study (I'm currently on the last module of a history degree) I'm less likely to eat as I shut myself away with my books/computer and am not lingering in the kitchen. I sustain myself with regular cups of tea and this gives me my breaks. Similarly when I am marking my students' essays. I think not having access to anything to nibble helps me. Drinking plenty also helps, ime.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:

Surfing Madness, you have done amazingly well to lose that much! What motivated you to start dieting before? Perhaps you need to re-evaluate your reasons then and why you want to lose more now. That might help you set a new target.

That might be part of my problem. I started really because both my parents have high blood pressure, and mum has diabetes, so it was more preemptive as I don't want either of those things.
Also I want to be able to cycle further, but due to essay time pressure, am unlikely to get out for a long ride for a while.

--------------------

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last week I lost all will to diet (it was too cold and I was feeling fed up). I ate freely of various things I had been avoiding, yet somehow managed to end the week 0.8 lb lighter. [Confused]

The next week is going to involve a four day stay in a hotel with an all inclusive deal. And I know from previous experience that the food is pretty good there and that much of the bar list is also included in the price. [Smile] I only get to do this once a year so I think it might be "bye bye diet" for a few days! At least there is a swimming pool, perhaps I can undo a bit of the damage there?

[ 17. February 2013, 19:53: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And another 1lb off, which means I am headed in the right direction. But having decided I NEED a new pair of dark jeans, (because none of my other pairs fit, being either too big or too small) trying some on at New Look, Next and Matalan, I couldn't find a single pair that fit. In some stores I am apparently a UK18, while in others a UK16 is what I am. And don't even begin to think about length of leg....jeans come in 2 sorts, being too long and too short, irrespective of what it says on the label.

So I still feel obese, which I am no longer, being merely I weight. And I felt quite slender, until this morning.

Rant over, how's everyone else doing/feeling today?

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Pound off, have to remind myself slow and steady is the way to go, and just stick at it.

--------------------

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, here I am agai, after graduating from the thread 2 years ago.

Back on WW (though starting 14lb lighter than I did last time), wish me luck!

Goal is looking hot in beachwear by holiday in September.

jen

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Hi Jenny Ann [Smile]
Well, I've maintained my weight despite the trip away so that's good. Need to keep my motivation up though, as breaks from the diet always knock my good intentions.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Last night I met a friend who I've known over 15 years and in all that time he has been seriously overweight (obese is such a horrible word). He has lost 4 stone, since July 2012, and although he probably has the same again to lose it has made such a difference to him [Overused]

He's using a modified Atkins regime*, very low in carbs - I did wonder if the fact that he is gluten-intolerant might have an effect there? And while I am no apologist for Atkins it did strike me that there is indeed a regimen for everyone and we need to work out our food plans accordingly.

*He got a dog, too! That might have helped ...

HA -
quote:
Need to keep my motivation up though, as breaks from the diet always knock my good intentions.
From what Jengie says upthread, it does seem to be a long-term slog. I find it helps to remember how far you've come and tell yourself you really don't want to go back there!

Mrs. S, finally shifted another pound

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I'm a tad discouraged that after 1 week on the 5:2 regime I only lost 500g (and Mr D lost 3 kg!) I can see that it is a regime that - once we really get accustomed to it - will be feasible to become a lifestyle choice. The fact that one can say "Today I can't have that biscuit, but tomorrow I can have two biscuits should I choose to" is quite encouraging. I do get hungry at times, but I'm learning that a hot drink will often sort that out, but nothing helps the "I just want to eat!" pangs.
We've been fasting on the days when I am working at home. But next week this changes, as I'm out of the house working on Monday...I'm not sure if this will make a difference or not.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
We've been fasting on the days when I am working at home. But next week this changes, as I'm out of the house working on Monday...I'm not sure if this will make a difference or not.

I prefer to have my 'fasting' days when I am going to be out of the house. It's much easier to avoid temptation & postpone eating if I am busy, and out of reach of my kitchen for several hours at a stretch.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of people have said this, but I prefer the idea of being within reach of something healthy-ish if I get really wibbly from hunger...

I've been having three meals a day, on my fast days, but people seem to be saying two meals are better - with at least a 12 hour gap between eating. I'm not sure if I can do this but I thought I might give it a try on Fridays (when I'm home):
last meal on Thursday at 7.00 pm, breakfast at 8.00 am on Friday then nothing until dinner at 7.00 on Friday. Then back to normal on Saturday. We shall see. What do 5:2-ers here do?

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I eat lunch and dinner. It is supposed to aid fat burn off to have a longer gap between meals.
I think Mosley recommended breakfast and dinner as that was what he got along with.

[ 21. February 2013, 13:50: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

I have a late breakfast - as late as will fit into my schedule for that day. It is a 'downsized' version of my usual porridge & fruit. My next meal is dinner, at our normal time, usually 6.30.
If I'm feeling hungry when I get home, it's still a couple of hours to dinner and a hot drink doesn't fill the gap I have a small portion of the balsamic-baked mediterranean vegetables that I cook in bulk and keep handy in the fridge - that's about 50calories worth and I adjust the calorie content of dinner accordingly.
The gaps between meals are: From the evening meal prior to the 'fast' day to breakfast, roughly 17 hrs. From breakfast to dinner on my fast day is 7-8 hours, and from dinner to breakfast the following day is about 15 hours.

--------------------

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought about the fasting thing but as I suspect my migraines are at least partially triggered by blood sugar dips I don't think it's a good idea for me.

I'm on day 5 of Weight watchers, I have a set amount of points to spend and have found out this week that I'm really good at denying how calorie laden a lot of things are. My daily muffin and a coffee came to nearly two thirds of my daily points allowance, so that's a bit rubbish. I've treated myself to the coffee today and am going to look into some lower point muffins to make for weekends.

Breakfast on the whole is an issue. I don't like cereal and milk, not really into fruit but love cold buttered toast. I've been having porridge this week but as I've got to go for the 'express' stuff I think its empty calories and sugar (hungry again 2 hrs. later). I eat breakfast at work and facilities are limited. What does everyone else have for breakfast?

I'm struggling to use my whole point allowance (same thing happened last time as well) - my problem was never snacking or continually having 'bad' things, it was having splurge days, where I'd buy and eat huge amounts of food I just didn't need.

I cheated this morning and weighed myself, even though weigh in day is Monday. Reassuring to see a downward turn in my weight already - I'm on target even if I lose nothing else this week.

Jen

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Jen, I eat a fat-free yoghurt with 100 grams of nice muesli tipped into it bit by bit. And because it's Lent, and I'm not eating between meals, I eat my mid-morning apple then as well. Usually I'd have black coffee but as I'm off THAT for Lent as well *sigh* I'm drinking a lot of fruit tea. That lasts me till my salad at lunchtime.

I work well like that during the week - I bring all my food for the day with me, and eat it at pre-determined points of the day - but it is harder at weekends. Perpetual Lent would work well at helping with that!

Having said that - it's the church Ladies' Breakfast tomorrow morning and whether I opt for the Full English or the Continental, they will be equally bad for me! [Big Grin] Still, I won't want any lunch either way ...

Mrs. S, picking muesli out of her keyboard

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I seldom breakfast, just a semi skinny latte on ordinary days and black coffee on fast days. If I do breakfast it is often a small portion of proper porridge and a touch of honey which fills me up for hours. Total fat free yoghurt is great with a healthy muesli for breakfast or with berries as a snack or dessert - my kids also love it.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm very boring, as I have the same thing for breakfast every single day...porridge made with skimmed milk in the microwave, with a chopped up banana and either a chopped up apple or some blueberries.
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
I'm very boring, as I have the same thing for breakfast every single day...porridge made with skimmed milk in the microwave, with a chopped up banana and either a chopped up apple or some blueberries.

Me too, every day, although I find blueberries a bit bland so replace them if I can with some tart homegrown blackcurrants or blackberries, freshly picked or from the freezer.
Or strawberries, in season, which are wonderfully low in calories [Biased]

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find that having a boiled egg for breakfast lasts me through to lunch but I am not sure how feasible that is if you have breakfast at work. (The disadvantage is that I have to have dried fruit as well to compensate for the lack of fibre.)

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've now lost three inches from my bust, an amazing four and half inches from my waist and three and a bit inches from my hips. My waist is now into what the heart health people say is the 'safe' level for women - thirty one and a half inches or less.

Dress sizes have changed. When I was a girl a UK size 12 was 34" bust, 24" waist and 36" hips with a 2" increase for size 14, 16 etc. In my teens I was a size 12 and a 12-14 in my 20's and 30's. I'd gone up to a size 16-18 but I think this would be even bigger in 'old money'. I'm currently wearing my slimmer fitting size 16's and trying not to buy anything new until I can fit a size 14.

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
I've now lost three inches from my bust, an amazing four and half inches from my waist and three and a bit inches from my hips. My waist is now into what the heart health people say is the 'safe' level for women - thirty one and a half inches or less.

Excellent [Smile] <gets tape measure out>

It's my third Sunday fast day today and I find that I'm enjoying them! I put a lot of effort into making the vegetable soup for my evening meal - it's becoming a sort of ceremony :0)

Tomorrow I'm going for an early morning swim - I'll either love it or hate it, we'll see!

[ 24. February 2013, 08:33: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

I wish I had kept a record of my measurements when I began, but I couldn't face the shock of realising what I had allowed myself to become...

Another 2 1/2 lbs off this week, so at least I am becoming smaller by the week. My cassock looks as though it was made for someone else...

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Well done St. E - that's really great! You don't *have* to measure yourself - you can tell by your jeans size. Did you find some you were happy with, in the end?

I'm in the situation where I can now wear old clothes that were put away while I was too fat for them - which is lovely - but bras are the issue! I can't afford to keep buying a new set every time I drop a cup size, so I'm currently uncomfortable in ones that are too big. Never mind, it's a good problem to have.

Refusing to buy any new winter clothes, so am currently very bored and badly-fitted in my current wardrobe!

Mrs. S, hitching at her trousers [Smile]

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
I'm in the situation where I can now wear old clothes that were put away while I was too fat for them - which is lovely - but bras are the issue! I can't afford to keep buying a new set every time I drop a cup size, so I'm currently uncomfortable in ones that are too big.

Until I had to haul down the bags of old clothes from the loft to find things that fitted I put tucks in everything - including bras!
Not elegant, and really only to be worn under tops that have also become a bit baggy. Every time I went out I prayed that I didn't get run over & end up in hospital, but that kept me going for a while.
Plus-size bras are too costly to replace every few weeks.

Am trying to make the current ones do until I get new underpinnings for Younger Son's wedding in the summer.

[ 25. February 2013, 15:54: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

--------------------

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

Thanks for all the breakfast ideas! I'm on a nice muesli and yoghurt this week.

Weigh in day today, 3lbs gone (kinda - first weigh in was in jeans, this mornings in PJs, so probably more of a 2lb loss to be honest).

J

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

Still on a jeans quest, but I'll probably wait until I have lost another few lbs...I only have 1 bra that fits and supports, but it was bought in a sale! I'm looking forward to buying more bras when a bit more weight has gone from that area!
Never underestimate the power of a new, well fitted bra, ladies!

Dormouse

# 5954

I've lot just under 1 kg in the last fortnight: I'm a tad disappointed, as I imagine 2 days worth of fasting per week must (should!) mean I lose more than this...but I try to remind myself that we're also doing this for the health benefits, not just to lose weight.

Dormouse, still with at least 12kg to lose. Sigh.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:

Every time I went out I prayed that I didn't get run over & end up in hospital, but that kept me going for a while.

That thing about having your good undies on in case you get in an accident is a myth [Biased] Remember, if ever the worst does happen, the medics are not going to *take* your clothes off you, they are going to get a big pair of scissors and *cut* your clothes off you. You really want to be wearing some manky lingerie that you don't care about losing.

(That said, someone I know was in a nasty skiing accident, and she said the first thing that went through her mind after hearing her knee pop was "have I got my good underwear on?")

/end of tangent

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

My sister collapsed with a clot in her lung when she was 21 and the paramedics cut of her boyfriend's mother's silk kaftan!
I usually lose Kg a week on 5:2 but I combine it with 20 mins low impact aerobics every weekday.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<accidents tangent> I was kneecapped by a horse at the age of 15 and refused to allow the A&E nurse to cut my jodhpurs off. I wanted to use them again.

I did, too. <\accidents tangent>

Last time I checked in to this thread it was Hosts and Admins Day, so I was a bit wary of posting about my progress. Last week I didn't really do any dieting because we were on holiday, but I weighed myself yesterday and discovered I was exactly the same weight as I was last time... I'm back to the 5:2 thing now and hoping to lose another half-stone or so by the end of March.

I do breakfast and dinner on fast days and miss out lunch. This is going to sound weird, but I've found one of the best ways to deal with the hunger pangs is to go to the gym just before normal lunchtime and do a workout. Probably not a good idea if you get migraines or are diabetic, though.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I can see the workout helping, it would distract you from the hunger. Best time to exercise for weight loss too.
Most headaches whilst fasting are due to dehydration, it is easy to underestimate how much water is in our food. I always keep a glass of water nearby when fasting and sip regularly.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect what the workout actually does is convince my body that I'm being chased by a tiger (or similar) and that now is not the time to be parsimonious with the emergency supplies... and breaking out some emergency supplies (= burning some fat) makes the hunger pangs go away.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm doing the 2;5 thing and my fast days are Tuesdays & Thursdays. I started this week, so am a bit unsure if I'm eating 600 calories or if I'm consuming more. I have a late breakfast at about 11-12 of fruit juice (100 % fruit) and a medium bowl of porridge with raisins and brown sugar, then at about 4 (just before I start work) I have 2 small bananas, then, when I get in at 8.30/9 pm, I have a bowl of soup (Indian chicken with lentils and spinach, plus a handful of salad leaves plus chopped tomatoes with an olive oil, vinegar and mustard dressing, followed by a crispbread). It's way less than I usually eat, but just writing it down makes it seem like a lot!

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Freelance Monotheist:
I'm doing the 2;5 thing and my fast days are Tuesdays & Thursdays. I started this week, so am a bit unsure if I'm eating 600 calories or if I'm consuming more. I have a late breakfast at about 11-12 of fruit juice (100 % fruit) and a medium bowl of porridge with raisins and brown sugar, then at about 4 (just before I start work) I have 2 small bananas, then, when I get in at 8.30/9 pm, I have a bowl of soup (Indian chicken with lentils and spinach, plus a handful of salad leaves plus chopped tomatoes with an olive oil, vinegar and mustard dressing, followed by a crispbread). It's way less than I usually eat, but just writing it down makes it seem like a lot!

I'll try to estimate, though I don't know your amounts (and most people underestimate!)
Orange juice 200mls 88 cals
Porridge 50g 180 cals
Small handful raisins (mini box) 41 cals
Teaspoon brown sugar 11 cals
Small banana 90x 2 so 180 cals
Dressing 15 mls 53 cals
Crisp bread probably 37 cals
soup - my lentil soup is about 200 yours might be 50 more if lots of chicken
Total 800 plus
I would replace the juice with water and cut down on the bananas ( one of the most fattening fruits) and be careful with those dressings/extra raisins.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Dormouse

# 5954

I think it's actually quite enlightening how little 500 calories seem to us, but how it is probably a full blow-out to some people with little access to food.

As a guide, my fast day at home look like this:
breakfast (as late as I can - about 10.00) egg + biscotte = 120 cals
Tea/coffee/cup-a-soup through day = 100 cals (or maybe less)
Dinner = eg veggie & lentil stew made with 50g lentils (for 2 people) + low fat yoghurt = 250 cals

My at work fast day:
Breakfast (6.30) porridge made with 30g oats and a splash of milk + water + 1 tsp agave syrup = 130 cals
Lunch: Egg + biscotte + yoghurt = 170 calories
Dinner: Big green salad dressed with sweet chilli oil/balsamic dressing + some protein (200 cals)

I suggest My Fitness Pal as a useful resource for calcumating calories consumed.

[ 28. February 2013, 09:48: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Portion control here is really tough as Herself always prepares too much - that is a cultural thing that we will never alter and was reinforced this morning when we were eating breakfast and Himself's sister and brother in law turned up and joined us. All she/they cook is delicious so it is so easy to have 'just one more ....'

This morning I only had one dosa and then at lunchtime I didn't have any second helping after a fairly scant first helping - but can I keep this up?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm on a fast day today and was hoping to eat nothing at all but I have a ripe avocado which needs to be eaten today. That's about 300 calories plus 50 for a spoon of balsamic dressing and I'll probably have at least a half-pint of semi-skimmed milk in tea and coffee. So anything else and that's my fast day buggered.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I'm also fasting today, on 500 cals. I forgo my homemade latte on fast days and drink flavoured tea without milk ( twinings orange blossom earl grey today). I start the day with black coffee for breakfast.
I had a small piece of poached cod with poached egg on half a slice of bread with a little mustard dressing for lunch - 250 cals and delicious. Dinner is a homemade filo parcel of fish and peas and fat free yoghurt (I like fish!) served with salad leaves 270 cals. So only 20 cals over. I drinks lots of water throughout the day to fill my stomach and ward off headaches.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
I have a ripe avocado which needs to be eaten today..

No, it doesn't.

What do you want more? A guilty conscience for wasting an avocado, or a guilty conscience for being defeated by one?

Don't think you'll be wasting it if you don't eat it. It's just as much a waste if you put it in your stomach as it would be to put it in the bin.
(As I often tell myself, but not always successfully [Hot and Hormonal] )

And surely one day more won't hurt?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016