homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Safe from Kidnapping (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Safe from Kidnapping
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stress of moving is over, I'm officially in my new home. It's time to get serious. I'm thinking of jumping on the 5:2 bandwagon, a little nervous about it.

But... i'm already eating better, lowered stress means I'm not even craving bad stuff. I'm immersed in the allergy attack from hell, but hopefully in the next few days I'll be able to put together a plan.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lily pad:
quote:
...You really need to compare over weeks not days.
I do - that is, I don't weigh myself every day, usually once a week or once a fortnight and always at the same time of day. However I've found if I don't weigh myself regularly the bad eating habits start creeping back and before I know it I need to lose the same stone or half-stone all over again.

Your point about salt and potassium suggests that extra water really is the key to these sudden fluctuations in weight.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes Water is the key, is that surprising, we are 53% water (according to Wikipedia (preview so you can see actual link). We are also recommended to drink around 3 litres a day which is 3kg in weight. So it is hardly surprising.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
lily pad:
quote:
...You really need to compare over weeks not days.
I do - that is, I don't weigh myself every day, usually once a week or once a fortnight and always at the same time of day. However I've found if I don't weigh myself regularly the bad eating habits start creeping back and before I know it I need to lose the same stone or half-stone all over again.

Your point about salt and potassium suggests that extra water really is the key to these sudden fluctuations in weight.

Yes, I am with you, if I get out of the habit of weighing myself, I don't feel very accountable and get a little silly. "We deceive ourselves and there is no health in us" as they say!

The key isn't extra water, it is extra salt. If you are part of a diet club, a high salt meal the day before weigh-in could make you much higher than you expect whereas a low salt diet 24 hours before a weigh-in could make you weigh less than on an average day.

There are so many myths around how much water you need but having good habits around keeping water at hand are probably enough.

[ 07. June 2013, 09:54: Message edited by: lily pad ]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I'd check in since it's been a while.

I've been doing 5:2 since November and lost 43lbs as of this morning. That's 15% of my original weight. Some of you might remember that I started try to lose weight back in 2008 and I'm about 77lbs down from my highest weight back then.

Which I mention because I've had a few goes at this now and I've always ended up putting most (not all) of the weight back on. 5:2 has been slower but I feel like it's more sustainable. I can imagine doing it indefinitely if I needed to.

I use MFP to log my calories and I find their app really useful. I've also started doing C25K which is a challenge at the moment as I'm still big.

One thing that's bugging me is that my measurements haven't changed for quite a while. Me and a friend are always talking about how often you get a loss in inches but not lbs or vice-versa. I've been at the same waist measurement for the last 10+lbs at least. Weird.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
...There are so many myths around how much water you need but having good habits around keeping water at hand are probably enough.

In a hot climate like here it is really important to keep hydrated, weight-gain or no. The thing here is to drink BEFORE you are thirsty - anhydrotic heat exhausting is no fun and can be really dangerous. Water or coconut water are the best things.

eta: this is not medical advice, just plain common sense. If in doubt about the amount of fluid you are taking in always check with a medical professional.

[ 07. June 2013, 10:59: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
Stress of moving is over, I'm officially in my new home. It's time to get serious. I'm thinking of jumping on the 5:2 bandwagon, a little nervous about it.

I've decided to go with IF (16:8 in hours) while also cutting out the foods that make my ill - namely, gluten and dairy. I'm missing the dairy already. otherwise, the fasting times aren't really that challenging, since I am not too far off eating that way anyway - I just need to be more mindful.

cutting the dairy has already relieved the allergy symptoms so I'm hoping to be strong enough to get back into my weight training soon.

I'm really hoping this system works for me, very tired of the seesaw approach.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doing really badly at the moment.

Younger Son's wedding is just 3 weeks away and I am really stressing over the two things Mr RoS and I have been asked to do.
Mr RoS has already failed to sort out his one and only responsibility, to renovate his old Jag to use as the bridal car. He would not own up to being behind schedule until after the third deadline was passed. No time to finish it now so YS will have to find something else.
My main contribution is a home-made wedding cake (three cakes, 7", 9" and 12" diameter).
I'm hopeless at icing. They were told that from the start, and said they were happy with a 'home-made' look but I'm afraid that they might have lost sight of that. I've all but finished the smallest cake, and it does look very home-made.

That preamble is to offer excuses for the amount of sugar I've shoved into my system in the last couple of weeks. I have a couple of good days; long early morning walks and keeping strictly to the DASH diet, then something triggers the anxiety about the cake (mainly) or the anger at Mr RoS, and I start stuffing myself.
I know I bought at least 1/2lb marzipan more than went on the cakes and I bought two jars of jam at a plant sale - they've gone.
I don't even like bread & jam!

[Help]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I've given myself a horrible shock. I have a wardrobe stuffed full of clothes which, I thought, fell into three categories:
a) clothes which fit.
b) clothes which are just a smidgen too small, but which a few pounds off would be enough to get back into.
c) clothes which are far too small but which I particularly loved, and which, if by some miracle I ever lost stones of weight, I would regret throwing out.

I knew that b) was the largest category.

Well, in front of my daughter and husband I tried on every pair of trousers and skirt in my wardrobe. And most of the b) category are not just a tad too small, they're far, far, too small. I'd obviously lost all track of just how long some of them have been hanging there unworn.

The whole thing was a nasty dose of cold, hard reality.

I've packed all the ones that don't fit into a suitcase and I'll try the lot on again after I've lost a stone in weight. I reckon a stone off should be enough for me to get back into one pair of trousers and three skirts. Then I'll try the lot on again after I've lost 2 stone. And again after three....

I could have wept.

On the other hand, I've obviously been wearing a smaller range of clothes than I'd realised for - how long? So getting back into some things and having more choice will be a huge boost.

The first stone is OFF! Tried on all my packed away trousers, and I'm back into two pairs, but the rest have been re-packed and I'll try again once I've lost the second stone. Though I think I'll then be repacking some pending the third stone.

I'm still not sure how I managed to become quite so disengaged with reality regarding my weight / clothes.

I've been working my way through other categories of clothes, (T-shirts, nightwear etc) and it's been appalling each time but has definitely helped keep me focussed.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is a great achievement, NEQ. You should be proud!

I think being a student - especially a doctoral student - must be one of the unhealthiest lifestyles out there. I put on 4 stone over my years of study: sitting for 14 hour days at a computer screen, reaching for the chocolate and the cola to keep the brain stimulated and awake. One guy I know lived for months on pot noodles and snickers bars! Well, now I am doing a proper job (TM), I am working on getting rid of the excess. A stone-and-a-half so far.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done, Cottontail!

I'm see-sawing between being pleased about the stone off and bemused and shamed I had it to lose. I need to lose another 2 stone 4lbs to move down from being classified as "obese" to merely being "very overweight" [Eek!]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done on loosing the first stone, NEQ! Keep going and you will be able to enjoy wearing your clothes again.

11/2 lbs off for me this week, and I can wear my old clothes again, and boy does it feel like an achievement!

Only 1/2 lb to get to my "goal" and another 6 lbs to get to my "old" goal weight...and I don't know which to aim for...

Well done, Cottontail!

[ 10. June 2013, 20:52: Message edited by: St Everild ]

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done everyone but me, I think. A week of ice-cream and beer has worked its wicked way with my waistline (sorry about that [Hot and Hormonal] ) and it's back to the long walks and salad AGAIN.

RoS - don't worry about the cake. They will love it because you made it. Don't sabotage your own success with marzipan, when you've achieved so much!

It's such a fragile truce all the time, isn't it? [brick wall]

The Resigned Mrs. S, girding her (ample) loins for the battle one more time

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:

RoS - don't worry about the cake. They will love it because you made it. Don't sabotage your own success with marzipan, when you've achieved so much!

Thanks Mrs S.
Cake icing now completed, to my (fairly limited) satisfaction - each cake was a little better than the previous one, and I'm very happy at the way The Big 'Un turned out (I did get some help with the lettering). [Yipee]
Hoping to take control of the eating now that's out of the way - just need to stop being so angry with Mr RoS. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done on getting the cake iced RoS.

At the moment I appear to be able to exercise, or watch what I eat, but not both! Anyone any ideas how to stop myself craving sugar, and generally being very hungry after exercise?

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

SM- I'm no expert, but I can share my experience.

I have a sugar problem, too. Big time. I've been trying to observe what's happening the past few years.

First off, I crave sugar when I'm tired. If I can just go to sleep and quit trying to stay awake, it fixes it. I often crave in the evenings, so this sometimes works well. Othertimes it's not possible to sleep, i'll try coffee or even get up and move around to stimulate the blood flow.

I also crave sugar when I'm legit hungry. When I'm out of fuel, the body asks for the fast acting stuff. So I might have some fruit, but ALSO have some protien and fat at the same time, to avoid craving again in 20 minutes.

And a whole other note: I'm a true believer that HFCS is addictive. There's plenty of research; but my own experience says so loud and clear. I went "cold turkey" off the stuff two months ago, while allowing real sugar and honey. The cravings are minimal now in comparison.

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've finally bought some scales. And stood on them. I've lost about 20 lbs which is less than I'd hoped, considering how long I've been doing this. I'm going to soldier on and check progress each week. I'd like to lose another 20 lb. I haven't kept strictly to the 5:2 regime, some weeks I haven't had any fast day and sometimes I've eaten more than the 500 cals allowed. So I'll try and stick to the regime and hope it speeds up weight loss.

I've meandered into a low carb diet and it seems to be a good thing from what I've read, especially for people with joint and muscular pain.

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Not

Ship's Quack
# 2166

- Posted      Profile for Not   Email Not   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi, have been flitting in and out of reading this thread for ages in line with not being quite ready to do something about my weight.

Can I join in?

I've gained weight gradually ever since my early 20s (now late 30s) and am now overweight enough that it has a persistent negative impact on my life in lots of small ways: aching joints, buying clothes, self consciousness, anxiety about airline seats and flimsy chairs...

I am now very overweight and unfit [Frown]

Like lots of people, it's all mixed up with complicated emotional and psychological stuff, but I've got a much better understanding of that and have largely made my peace with it. So feeling as ready as I ever have to start addressing things and, having been (quietly) on the Ship for ages, this seemed a good place to seek support.

This is my second week of 5:2 except I've ended up doing 4:3 to give it a bit of a kick start. Also beginning to do dome regular exercise, mainly swimming. Finding it surprisingly ok so far - I've felt really alert and 'up' on fast days generally. Today was harder though - I've been experimenting with how to split up meals on fast days and tried nothing till the evening and got really ratty and tired. How do other people split it? I've tried small lunch and slightly bigger supper and 2 small snacks and supper and just one meal.

It's been good reading over the last few pages of the thread, thanks.

C

--------------------
Was CJ; now Not

Posts: 600 | From: the far, far West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the thread [Smile]
I eat 2 meals on fast days, usually soup or egg/fish with salad for lunch. In the evening I have a casserole or Japanese style soup.
Today I had salmon trout fillet and small bean salad for lunch and this evening I had a Japanese style veg and fish soup (I add noodles or rice to my family's soups). This comes in at well under 400 calories for the day so I could afford to have a small amount of starch in my evening meal too but I'm training myself out.
Exercisewise, I have a genetic osteoarthritis so everything has to be low impact. I do an active standing aerobics routine for 20 mins a couple of days a week, lots of walking and today I took delivery of a hula hoop [Smile]
I've lost a stone and a half since January, despite a period in between where I fell away (a change in routine always throws me). I do enjoy the 5:2 though, as it is achievable - you aren't constantly depriving yourself.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been about a month since I posted here and I see I'm 8lbs down on where I was then, so that's not bad.

I seem to have plateau-ed for the last week though which I'm slightly concerned about as I'm a long way from my target weight still. Having said I do seem to have lost inches if not pounds - the old belt is a couple of notches up! [Smile]

In related news I'm back on the C25K bandwagon after taking a rest due to minor health issue. Back up to week 4 (re-started at W2). This is as far as I've ever gotten and contains 5min running intervals - which are tough.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back on the straight and narrow after my 2 week holiday...weigh in tomorrow and then more work to shift the final few lbs...hope I haven't done too much damage....
Not

Ship's Quack
# 2166

- Posted      Profile for Not   Email Not   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Increasingly convinced by the intermittent fasting thing. Have lost 5 1/2 lb in 2 weeks of 4:3 and feel generally better overall. Too my surprise, haven't found it too difficult to do - it makes it much easier to handle cravings if you can dismiss them with, "well, I can have that tomorrow if I want". Have to split the calories over 2 meals though on the fast days. On the one where I didn't I got really grumpy!

Away on holiday in a week and not sure if I can/will keep it up while away - has anyone tried to while on holiday?

C

--------------------
Was CJ; now Not

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK. Help folks.

Since last time I posted, life has been what you might call... difficult and/or stressful. I've had a family bereavement which came after what seemed like an age of waiting for the death.

I've been emotionally and physically exhausted, less so now, but it's still there. What I've been eating generally has been pretty lousy and there's been a fair amount of alcohol consumed too. And inevitably there has been weight gain and I'm beginning to feel a bit like a relative of the Michelin man.

But whilst I hate being so blobby, at the moment, making choices about food is a problem. I don't know what I want to eat, except I don't seem to want anything I've got, and I do feel hungry. All I really seem to want is crisps and biscuits or takeaway, or something else that isn't good for me.

How do I handle this? Accept that it will pass and not give myself grief if I do eat the wrong stuff for a while? Try and push myself back into eating more healthily? Something else? I'm finding that if I do eat decent meals, I still then feel the need to go pig out on biscuits/crisps/chocolate/alcohol.

I'm really not happy being blobby but I can't find the will to want to do anything about it at the moment. And that also makes me unhappy...

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bereavement, whether before or after the death, is exhausting. It's it's natural to lack energy and crave comfort. When I had two significant losses within a few months, my eating went to hell; I remember a lot of frozen meals and bags of cookies.

I found it easiest to inject good foods into our diet when they required little preparation - bagged salads, pre-chopped fruit trays, - that sort of thing, and if I wanted cinnamon toast I'd make it with wholemeal bread.

As your energy allows, try to put a little healthful food on your plate, and if someone offers you help ask them to make you a pot of soup or bowl of salad.

Above all, be easy on yourself. Some days all you can do is breathe in and out, and that's just fine. [Votive]

[ 08. July 2013, 21:30: Message edited by: Meg the Red ]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kingsfold, it sounds like life is tough at the moment. Don't be too hard on yourself. Make sure that you are getting all the vitamins etc that you need, and therefore eating healthy foods. If you eat rubbish as well, at least you know you are getting the stuff that you need.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try not to beat yourself up about it. We're evolutionarily programmed to want certain foods - for energy, for comfort, for gratification. A fact not unknown to the manufacturers of crisps and confectionary.

So I would accept that you need treats. But can you move sideways a little? When I crave crisps, I have a couple of savoury crackers with cheese instead. The calorific difference may not be all that great, but I feel better about the snack.

I buy luxury items and use them in dishes with very strong flavours -eg fresh prawns, flash-fried with chilli and lime juice - and try to eat slowly, savouring it (remember, 20 mins until the stomach feels full).

You are suffering from an emptiness that food cannot fill (doesn't stop us trying though). Supply it if you can acts of self-kindness. Baths. Scents. Going somewhere or doing something you've always fancied.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good thoughts here for you, Kingsfold, in what has been said.
I'll just add that there will be times when the grief comes again in waves. This is normal and a part of the process.

As Firenze said, be kind to yourself at this time.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You guys rock. Thanks for the thoughts and encouragement. I particularly like the idea of moving sideways as Firenze puts it, and having two or three crackers & cheese rather than a tube of pringles. (Though I can foresee a temptation to substitute cheese biscuits [Hot and Hormonal] ).
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi All,

I'm back to being less kidnappable than I was, or than I would like to be. A combination of moving closer to work (40 minutes less walking per day), buying a car, bereavements left right and centre (two grandparents, a great aunt and a member of my church smallgroup in just over a year) and a flatmate who thinks that chocolate brownie pudding is the answer to all woe (which it sometimes is) have lead to too much eating, too little moving and re-gaining 10 of the 20 kilos I lost a few years ago.

So it's time to keep a closer eye on what I am up to. I've picked up my fitday.com use and moved to fruit+yogurt breakfasts and salad+tuna/egg lunches. I remember now what it feels like to be just a little bit hungry and that is a good thing. Flatmate has (to me) the amazing ability to stop eating when she has had enough - which probably explains her ability to use chocolate brownie pudding and remain sylph-like - and I'm trying to follow her example.

Of course I also plan to have cheese for dinner tonight, but I will feed flatmate two portions where I only have one and will fill up on tasty summer salad. Then I shall go and dance.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

You are suffering from an emptiness that food cannot fill (doesn't stop us trying though). Supply it if you can acts of self-kindness. Baths. Scents. Going somewhere or doing something you've always fancied.

You are very wise, Firenze [Smile]

I am back on here due to lack of weight loss. I eventually gave up on the 2:5 - it became too
hard for me.

So I am back on healthy eating.

My lovely new labrador puppy can only have 15 minutes walk twice a day (they are allowed an extra five minutes per month of age due to big and growing bones) so my exercise regime has gone to pot.

So - from now on I'm back to the swimming baths every day I can.

I will report back next week.

[Smile]

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

This weight loss thing is a lifetime's activity. We try. We fail we try again we fail again. So never give up....fingers pointing to self here!

Well done to everyone who is still managing to keep on losing lbs, and well done to everyone who, recognising that they need to, or who have fallen off the wagon and need to get back on it again, have done something constructive instead of reaching for the chocolate biscuits/crisps/gin.

I am almost at my 4 stone gone mark. Only another 3 1/2 lbs to go, and they are the most difficult to shift. Going in 1/2 lbs increments when they leave at all...

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Firenze, thanks for that.

As for treats, a specialist tea shop has opened in the mall where I shop. Not only do they stock a wide variety of tea to be sampled, they don't sell munchies to go with it, so no sugary temptations.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia, that's ace! Assiciating munchies with tea or coffee is always dangerous for me. I have replaced my morning cup of tea with no-added-sugar squash due to the heat, but I do like an interesting cuppa.

Fortunately some of my wake-up call at the weekend seems to have been water weight - I weighed myself when I came out of the shower last night (so there was some literal water weight involved) and had lost 1.5 kilos. It's always nice to have a bit of a boost at the re-beginning of one of these journeys.

Keep on keeping on, All.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Climbing back on the wagon with grim determination after a horrible couple of months (too much work, friend died, mother ill...). Weighed myself this morning and discovered that six of the pounds I lost earlier this year have found me again. [Disappointed]

May have to work up to the 5:2 thing though. Will try cutting down on unhealthy snacks and limiting portion size first and see how that goes.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Went to the free opera in the park last night. Really hoping that cycling 6 miles there and back will have counteracted the tiny sausages that my friend had brought along. And the wine, also the wine.

Now trying to decide whether to go out dancing tonight, as I seem to be brewing a cold and it might be kill-or-cure. Then if I'm really brave and time allows, there's always the 90-minute cycle out to a dance practice on Sunday. That would do me some good.

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm. Great thread, time to join.

I've always struggled with weight fluctuations up to 15 pounds over Weight Watchers highest recommended weight for my age and size. May not sound like much to some, but when you are only 5 ft and a bit, every ounce makes a difference, especially if you have rheumatic troubles...

Now I have really got to take healthy eating seriously because of health/digestive problems.

I don't want to try 5:2 or anything like that, but just to focus on low fat foods and--my real problem--portion control.
(AKA greed.)

I approve the weight watchers approach of a healthy and varied diet with care in portions, but don't want to get back into the counting points etc. I want to just make it an automatic part of my life to eat mindfully and healthily.

My problem is not sugar, but salty/fatty snacks like crisps. Also cheese; and bread; and butter. And carbs (especially if salty/buttery!). And...stopping when I ought to stop.
And eating more slowly.

Great to know this thread is here for support.
THIS time I really want to make a serious lifestyle change that isn't temporary (as previous successful ones have been). I need to get serious, now, and do it for real.

--------------------
Pondering.

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

The final 3 1/2 lbs has left and I am at my goal weight! From 15 st 7 lbs to 11st 7 lbs.

Now I am officially Easier to Kidnap...and I suspect another lot of hard work begins as I learn to eat sensibly for the rest of my life again.

But for today.... [Big Grin]

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good job, St Everild! [Yipee]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yippee! Congratulations St Everild!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh jolly good job, St. E, that's magnificent! In fact, it's a new you, isn't it? Now to maintain that newness!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

The Envious Mrs. S

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need to loose the 2 stone.

My daughter has persuaded me to try the 5:2 diet. I did my first fast day yesterday. Had to do some nifty calorie juggling to get the 500 calories into meals that I could take to work.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Excellent St Everild!

Best wishes for your efforts to maintain - I always get a bit demotivated when it comes to that phase, somehow it's easier to feel an achievement when your good choices lead to measurable differences in the numbers. But you will have picked up strategies for making those good choices, now you need to calibrate them for maintaining rather than losing.

I have managed, in a week of making good choices and removing water weight, to lose 3.3kilos. I'm pretty happy if this means that the situation wasn't really as dire as I thought it might be - seeing such a large number on the scale as a number of items of clothing got uncomfortably tight was good motivation though. So a few more weeks or a couple of months and I should be back to where I like to be. Next part of the challenge is, like St Everild, to maintain. Which probably means weighing in regularly and address the odd kilo that creeps on when it does so rather than waiting until I have a bunch to shift.

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

Lovely evening with new friends and their friends last night involving food. And drink. And chocolate cake...

(Just what do you say when someone asks how you know the people you have in common? "We are axe murderers off the Internet doesn't seem quite...right, somehow!)

Back to the straight and narrow today....

Preview Post is also a friend. Allegedly...

[ 27. July 2013, 10:38: Message edited by: St Everild ]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I often refer to folks as axe-murderers from the internet and get a polite if slightly befuddled smile in return.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow - I'm impressed, St Everid. Congratulations. I fell off my diet last December & haven't got back on it since, although it's now the time of year to start again, with salads being slightly more tempting plus lots of work to do on the allotment to burn up calories.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Not

Ship's Quack
# 2166

Slightly stunned: just back from holiday and stopped fasting during the holiday and ate what I wanted, did walk and swim a lot, but ate and drank 'generously' - and have lost another 0.8 kg over the holiday! Really expected to have put weight back on. I also, bizarrely, found I missed fasting and am looking forward to getting back in that routine again.

Wow, maybe this is real change...

--------------------
Was CJ; now Not

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Indeed, many congratulations St Everild.

Well, the urge to eat Pringles and crisps seems to be subsiding. The biscuit urge also seems to be on the wane and I'm contemplating meals rather than random shit again. Not that I'm any much better at the decision making on what meals to have, but this has to be an improvement, right?

I know I'm still going to have to be gentle with myself, but hopefully I can eat a bit better and at least try to lose some of the spare spare tyre...

Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just managed (I think ) to get through an evening without giving way. The theory is that I drink but don't eat after 7.00, but it doesn't often work out. Praying helps but I find it extremely difficult to pray about my eating - which is presumably why it's got so out of control. Do other shipmates find the same?
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been working at a summer school where 3 meals a day plus snacks are provided...despite good intentions to eat salad once a day I have been seduced into bacon butties, battered squid, onion rings and fries. I have eaten salad too, but with extra yummies. I fear my hard won weight loss will be long gone and departed before I get home! The need for large glasses of wine + crisps and/ or nuts hasn't helped either. Sigh.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

quote:
posted by Dormouse:
The need for large glasses of wine ...

Ah, now, sadly that urge hasn't subsided. [Frown]

[ 30. July 2013, 21:38: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016