homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Safe from Kidnapping (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Safe from Kidnapping
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Found you [Smile]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Progress report:
Weight is unchanged since January, still at +/- 87 Kg, but I was forced, kicking and screaming the whole way, to buy a new belt, two sizes smaller! Down from a 40 to a 38. w00t! [Big Grin]

[ 20. April 2012, 16:57: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
Progress report:
Weight is unchanged since January, still at +/- 87 Kg, but I was forced, kicking and screaming the whole way, to buy a new belt, two sizes smaller! Down from a 40 to a 38. w00t! [Big Grin]

Great work! [Smile]
Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hi Folks -

Mind if I drop in? I struggle to keep weight off, though these days I'm at the bottom end of my swing (top end a few years back was three stone up). I don't know much about dieting, apart from a simple Joules in - Joules out thing.

I'm a bugger for sugar - it takes me about 3 weeks of total cold turkey to lose 'the taste' (as my alcoholic friends call it), and about 1-2 days lapse to be right back at the start of another 3 week slog.

Is this common?

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes, I recognise that pattern all too well! You are not alone.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sugar is my bad one too. I can pretty much give up anything else. sugar owns me.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ecu- I'm NorthEastQuine on MFP.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking about my sugar comment today and have to say that I am pretty much the same with cheese. Why can't I have just one piece of cheese?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I was thinking about my sugar comment today and have to say that I am pretty much the same with cheese. Why can't I have just one piece of cheese?

You can't because it tastes so good.

Re sugar: If you know too much sugar will kill you, or make you very ill, at least, you will find it easy to give it up. This makes my very occasional small sugar treat a pleasure.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, cheese.

I think of it as the mousetrap syndrome.

If it's there, I eat it. Especially late at night with rye bread or crackers or just on its own.

Brie, Camembert, Gorgonzola, Roquefort, Bel Paese, Fontina, Mascarpone, Pecorino sardo, Provolone, Taleggi.

In my next life I am coming back as a chocoholic. Much nicer sweet-toothed people.

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheese is actually a very useful diet food, being that most cheeses have next to no carbohydrate content.

My favorite salad dressing is mayonnaise into which I have crumbled some Stilton. (Stilton is not easy to find over here, and rather expensive, but worth every penny!)

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Resists temptation to write a paean of praise for Stilton and blue cheeses in general.

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Mark, some suggestions re: sugar (do ignore if they don't fit you)...

What about trying to increase the amount of lean protein and complex carbs you're eating? i.e. a boiled egg or porridge for breakfast instead of toast n jam or cereal. The aim is to stay fuller for longer and avoid sugar rushes then slumps.

Even fruit can be very sugary - try carrot sticks n hummus or light yoghurt instead as a snack (or a few nuts - they're high in calories but filling). Other thoughts are: Wholemeal bread (and not much of it), brown rice, potatoes, cottage cheese, eggs, lean meats etc etc. And lots and lots of veges, of course.

Also, I find tiredness directly leads to sugar/ fat cravings. Don't know if it works like that for you?

Good luck!

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi guys!

Please can you throw some inspiration my way? Struggling with weight-loss for all sorts of reasons (should read 'excuses'!) and finding it hard to pull the magic bunny out of the hat!

Managed 50lb loss a few years ago but put lots back on and struggled nearly every month to put that right - managed 12 lbs off since this time last year but can't get beyond that: HELP [Frown]

Thanks guys!

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by harmony hope:
Please can you throw some inspiration my way?

The thing that did it for me was a health scare from my doctor. He told me I was pre-diabetic. I'll be damned if I'm going to come down with diabetes. I've been on the Atkins Diet ever since. My weight has dropped and my cholesterol and blood sugar counts are normal. Aside from the inevitable little bit of see-sawing, I'm determined to keep it that way.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Eleanor Jane - I can keep sugar cravings way down by eating a high protein diet with healthy fats. it helps me keep stabilized so I don't get in that desperate "feed me!" zone where I'm likely to inhale something sugary that then leads to the rollercoaster ride. And the tired part is also big - I crave sugars the most when I'm exhausted but not ready to sleep for whatever reason - I try to make myself go to sleep earlier. (the biggest problem being the "good part of the book" conundrum, alas)

I'm a total impulse monkey where junk food is concerned, so the only way I'm successful is too keep the sugars out of the house, period. no stashes.

Miss Amanda - I've been eating similar to Atkins - following the Primal Blueprint more or less - but I'm really concerned about the impact on cholesterol. Honestly, I've been putting off my bloodwork! so you really found it improved? I just need some encouragement, I think!

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
Miss Amanda - I've been eating similar to Atkins - following the Primal Blueprint more or less - but I'm really concerned about the impact on cholesterol. Honestly, I've been putting off my bloodwork! so you really found it improved? I just need some encouragement, I think!

Yes. I can't quote the actual figures right now, but my cholesterol and triglycerides have historically been high. I used to take megadoses of niacin, which helped considerably, and was taking Tricor for some time also. But I haven't taken either medicine (or any other) for several years, and since I've been on Atkins the cholesterol and triglyceride counts have been way down. Again, I can't quote actual figures, but my doctor is pleased.

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

quote:
Originally posted by harmony hope:
Hi guys!

Please can you throw some inspiration my way? Struggling with weight-loss for all sorts of reasons (should read 'excuses'!) and finding it hard to pull the magic bunny out of the hat!

Managed 50lb loss a few years ago but put lots back on and struggled nearly every month to put that right - managed 12 lbs off since this time last year but can't get beyond that: HELP [Frown]

Thanks guys!

Hi Harmony Hope,

Great work on the 50 lb! (and the 12 re-lost...) Both substantial victories.

Motivation is a tricky thing and I think it varies quite a lot from person to person. Vanity if my overiding motivation (a little bit of wanting to avoid a strong family history of colon cancer, but mostly pure wanting to look better).

I find things that slow me down/ stop me are:

* Massive life changes like moving country, new job etc.
* Not taking time to be honest and pay attention to my feelings. I can comfort eat because I'm not paying attention to and dealing more healthily with my feelings.
* Being over-tired/ frantically busy.

Things that help are:

* Small goals
* Taking it day by day and not giving up at hurdles
* Support from others (something like Weight Watches or the MyFitnessPal website)
* Seeing some progress
* My husband being on board with me
* Plenty of reasonably gentle exercise so I have extra calories to eat and feel virtuous.

Good luck!!

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the tips - Amanda and Eleanor Jane! I am determined this is the first step towards my transformation...

Will keep this thread visible on my PC to remind me! [Smile]

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm back on MFP! And Eleanor Jane I've just said Hello as your friend...I wonder when you sent the Friend request?!
Porky Dormouse has to lose some weight!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I'm back on MFP! And Eleanor Jane I've just said Hello as your friend...I wonder when you sent the Friend request?!
Porky Dormouse has to lose some weight!

Hello back at ya! No idea when I requested, must've been ages ago.

My weightloss has completely stalled what with a very demanding new job involving hours (often up to four hours) commuting. I'm still logging though and hoping to settle down a bit and do better.

Cheers,
EJ

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Hi there Dormouse and Eleanor Jane! Am at home convolescing after op and have just signed onto MFP again...but with new persona for new start...

If you can find me under 'campervangirl' and be my friend then that would be great! Think I'm going to follow the Gi way of eating and exercise more and having buddies along the way will sure help! [Smile]

--------------------

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Just wondering if the June fitness race is going to take place this year? I love taking part! [Smile]

--------------------

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Just wondering if the June fitness race is going to take place this year? I love taking part! [Smile]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Fitness Race is usually January and July - although we did August one year. Hadn't thought that far ahead, currently have a few other details to sort out before I can think about it.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Yes of course - sorry thought it was June instead of July! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Hmm... some encouragement to exercise would be helpful.

I'm working on bringing sanity back to my lifestyle so I can re-focus on healthy eating and eventually some more weightloss.

I think I've put on a couple of kilos that I lost (about 4 pounds) so I need to get those off again and keep going down. I'm feeling a bit heffalumpy at the moment- hot weather means my knees venture forth...

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be having my quarterly bloodwork at the end of the month. If I do get to go to the OKC/Santa Fe Shipmeet, I'll be getting the bloodwork done after wandering around being tempted by some of the world's best beefsteak... and frybread! Or, if I don't get to go this year, I'll be eating like a frustrated and depressed Cajun for the month of June, before the tests. Either way, we'll see what effect that has on the results.

I usually have really decent "numbers" -- all the lipds are great and the A1C is good. That's the meds doing it, I guess.

I do better in my eating (re: both quantity and "good" versus "bad" food) if I eat a lot of protein and if I don't cut the fats down.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I lost 23 pounds since Christmas, just by using MFP, making sure I only ate the allotted calories, and exercised if I ate more. I'm happy, especially as I worked 70 hour weeks and had a difficult boss.

But my sugar addiction is worse than ever. (See difficult boss!)

I am now on summer break from school for 2 months and hope to lose another 15 pounds. Any advice?

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm cautiously joining this thread as I have rather a lot to lose and the past six months have been hopeless on that front, for various reasons. I find it's all to do with getting your head in the right place. Mine's been in the wrong one for quite a while - that's led to tiredness, sugar cravings, stuffing in the carbs because they're easy to eat and give a quick burst of energy. [Roll Eyes]

But my head-place seems better at the moment. Not much weight is coming off, though. [Roll Eyes] I've lost half a stone from my heaviest weight. I'd like to lose two and a half more... [Eek!]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

There's lots of advice on the Web for overcoming sugar cravings. This one seems typical.

But I'm one to talk. I've been succumbing to weakness lately myself, and have gone out a notch on my belt once again. I've also noticed that I strain a little more than I used to when bending over to tie my shoes. This despite swimming vigorously for one-half hour each day.

I've fallen into the trap of thinking that sugar substitutes are better than sugar. Thus, I've been eating a lot of "no sugar added" ice cream, for example. Such foods are sweetened with so-called "alcohol sugars" (sorbitol, maltitol, etc.), which actually are neither sugar nor alcohol and are supposedly metabolized more slowly than sugar itself. The idea is that the body eliminates them before they can be digested. The jury is out on whether or not this is actually true.

Bottom line, though, I've finally been able to go cold turkey on no-sugar-added ice cream; I haven't had any for two weeks now. I have to start eating more fruit. I'm fond of strawberries, which are relatively low in carbs compared to other fruits. They're readily available now at reasonable prices, and I'm hoping that they will help satisfy my sweet tooth.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I've started back in with MFP after my long hiatus. It's a tough one for me because its so easy for me to go towards the obsession point. with me, this doesn't lead to much loss but it does lead to lots of self-hatred which I really need to avoid. So I'm avoiding my scale and my body fat percentage measurer thingie; trying to keep track of carbs more than cals, and keeping tabs more on how I feel per day, etc. It's not a perfect system butI have to be careful as I suspect I'm a pretty good candidate for eating disorder issues if I let myself get all demented again - last year I started the binge-purge thing and kind of scared myself.

I did put on weight this spring - don't know about scale pounds but everything has been tight and uncomfortable. just the last few days I've noticed some of that pressure letting up and I can fit one of my stage costumes again that fit last year and hasn't fit comfortably so far this year. so yay for that.

my biggest problems revolve around "reward" eating - basically, feeding my stress with sweets. my kids (meaning well!) like to give me gifts of chocolate if they can see I'm stressed so I need to work that out somehow. I also go into a feeding frenzy when I'm feeling very tired, which is a lot.

I'm trying, folks. it's hard stuff. I don't want to be all obsessive and hating myself but I can't deny that those are the times I get the leanest. frustrating.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although my original intention was to improve my shocking bp & cholesterol levels I was really pleased with the effect of the DASH diet on my weight in the first months, but have been stuck on a plateau for about a year now. I fell off the wagon over Christmas which resulted in a substantial gain, and threats of more medication from my GP. That has been dealt with, but I am now stuck back at the same point on the plateau - and with my son's wedding planned for next spring I need to drop a couple more sizes so that I can wear a dress [Eek!]

So I've joined mfp - and discovered something interesting; I'm not eating enough!

My calorie, and probably more significantly my protein, intake has been too low on most days, and my metabolism has probably been in starvation mode. I must admit that I have been below the DASH targets for 'meat' and 'fat' much of the time, so it's all my own fault.
I'm having to make a few adjustments.

It took me a few days to suss out the unreliability of the mfp food database, and now I avoid, as far as possible, the 'starred' information (added by members) - having discovered that the bread I was eating supposedly had no carbs! Nor anything else, other than calories. Presumably the person who added it to the database was only interested in counting calories not in nutrition.

I'm not particularly interested in the social side of mfp (and find the obsessive nature of the forum posts I've read quite scary) but the record-keeping is useful. How effective it is remains to be seen.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Hi All,

So generally things are going better than last time I posted (although somewhat ironically I'm eating the head of an Easter Bunny made of sugar as I write... it fits into my daily calories).

I've lost some more weight, taking me down about 20 pounds in the last 10 months or so (several months off due to moving countries). I'm now the smallest I've been for years and years but I'm still a size 14(UK)and I'd really like to be a size 12 (UK). On we go...

Good luck all! Comet, nice to see you back and I do hope you can find a healthy balance.

Liberty - 15 pounds in two months is a lot! Good luck, but I'd say 8 pounds in two months would be a very good result too!

Rose of Sharon, I'm 'Eleanorjanethinner' if you want to 'friend' me.

Nenya, I totally agree about needing to get your head right. I find it takes a lot of mental energy to diet - it's like a daily hobby.

Amanda, I find the worst sugar thing is that I've been trained to think that I *should* eat some thing sweet after dinner and I usually feel like something sweet after a savoury lunch too. For after dinner I try and make sure I've got enough calories for a Cadbury's light choc mousse (about 50ish) or a Muller mini corner yoghurt (about 110), or some defrosted frozen berries (or strawberries) and a spoonful of greek yoghurt and honey. During the day I eat fruit, muesli (granola) bars, the occasional yoghurt, the ocassional bit of cake or pastry (I do love cakes and pastries!)

I also drink lots of decaf coffee cos I find hot drinks help pad out a snack.

Right, that's my essay over.

cheers,
EJ

Hebdom
Shipmate
# 14685

- Posted      Profile for Hebdom   Email Hebdom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm back!
Long silence because of lost password when I upgraded my system.

Have just installed My Fitness Pal and it's inspired me to lose 1.6 kg this week. That won't last, of course, but it's a great start. Thanks to all those who've discussed MFP while I've been lurking.

Does the fascination with it last long enough to lose a decent amount of weight? I'm in for the long haul.

Posts: 163 | From: Terra australis | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think MFP can become a habit, so once formed it is part of normal routine.

However, as comet suggests, whether it's a good habit or a bad one is more specific to each person.

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did the Santa Fe Meet, wandered over several states eating my way through any foods I wanted in whatever quantity I wanted, for a bit over two weeks. If I wasn't dining out and getting ridiculous with a menu, I was cooking massive crockpots of stuff myself. And there was minimal exercise for this Meet, no horses or whitewater, only some light hiking. Came home, went to do my quarterly testing.

Waiting for more test results, maybe Monday; so far, A1C was (high by the standard I set myself, but still quite) acceptable to the doctor, at 6.6. Since I take only 500 mg of Metformin, doctor suggested I could go up to 1000 mg if I wanted to. I may do so; we'll see, after all the tests are reported.

And I lost 10 pounds.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well done, Janine!

And I can now be all boastful and say I now weigh a fraction less than I did when I went to UK at the beginning of May.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

T'ain't braggin' iffen hit's true, WW. [Biased]

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Hi Hebdom,

I'd say it's entirely up to you as to whether the facination lasts... I've been on MFP on and off for almost a year - I've seen plenty come and go but I've also seen plenty lose heaps of weight and stick it out for the long haul.

I do think MFP combines most of the psychological and practical things you need to lose weight, but the motivation comes from within and I find it does take daily effort to keep focused and make good choices.

I've managed to pretty much kick comfort eating, but I still do 'celebration eating/drinking' and go over my calories that way. Still, I'm generally on the right track these days...

Cheers,
EJ

PS - well done all on the weight loss! [Smile]

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Total cholesterol was 168; LDL "Bad" was 93; doctor considers those very nice numbers.

HDL "Good" was only 42, which is the very lowest end of OK, depending upon your chart. [Smile] But, then, I've always had an insufficient amount of "Good". [Big Grin]

Triglicerides were not nice -- I scored 163, when 150 is the highest normal score. Doctor suggests alcohol as a possible culrpit. I am not the big drinker -- one stiff Margarita & I'm cross-eyed -- but there was more than my usual imbibing going on through June. Some of that there celebration stuff mentioned above, I think.

The same vacation that gave me the 10-pound weight loss gave me extra trigycerides. Ah, well.

--------------------

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
I've managed to pretty much kick comfort eating, but I still do 'celebration eating/drinking' and go over my calories that way. Still, I'm generally on the right track these days...

Cheers,
EJ

PS - well done all on the weight loss! [Smile]

EJ - I feel I'm the same. Are we sisters? This has been a celebration week so must get back to my new normal in the next couple of days.

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:

So I've joined mfp - and discovered something interesting; I'm not eating enough!

My calorie, and probably more significantly my protein, intake has been too low on most days,

The increased calorie/protein intake seems to be working, I've lost 2kg in the first fortnight and finally crossed that 20kg barrier.
I am finding mfp useful for keeping an eye on my sodium, potassium and cholesterol intake as well as calories & protein, but have removed the record of carbohydrates consumed as I find my gut likes a wholegrain rich diet in order to work comfortably (TMI, I know [Biased] )

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

No, no, not TMI! I remain convinced that a portion of our weight loss woes would disappear if we could just fine-tune our digestions. Seriously! We know we simply feel better when... things... are ticking along correctly. We know we feel less bloaty, actually a bit physically smaller in the abdomen. And we make full use of the nutrition if things are working well. There's even a chart/scale thingy that will show you a picture of what proper stools look like.

Maybe all that was TMI. [Eek!]

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In an attempt to stop buying chocolate bars from the friendly tea trolley ladies at work, I've subscribed to receive weekly Graze boxes. You can choose which snacks to recieve. Here's the address if anyone else is interested: www.graze.com

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Due to upcoming changes in income -- the FG is taking a break, maybe for months, from his work as a shipyard welder, for some retraining -- call it a preview of retirement, I guess --

I have killed my gym membership. At his request. because we'll have less discretionary income to pay for it, and especially because we're going to have time now to exercise together. Mmm-hmmm. We'll see how that works out. [Roll Eyes]

So -- after something over a year in the gym, using a fancy eliptical ski-like machine with variable settings, I had lost little/no weight, but my stamina was nice, things had, um, shifted a bit... I think the gym was worthwhile. I'd set that machine for hill-walking and I'd set the resistance higher and higher, so it got to be weight-bearing as well as aerobic. I shall miss it.

We plan to walk uphill and down over the Intercoastal Waterway bridge for our exercise regimen. Hopefully the change will kickstart some new weight loss.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

consider setting goals and making a (flexible) schedule with your walks and other activities. perhaps with non-edible rewards for meeting benchmarks. it will help keep you from slacking off away from the gym.

I have no gym available. but I've found when I don't have workout buddies I'm a horrible slacker. so I make schedules with goals and put them on the fridge so my kids nag me about them. it works for me.

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

In terms of exercise, I just walk these days. I generally quite enjoy/ don't mind walking and I walk about 25 min each way to work most day so it fits into my daily routine. In the weekends I usually try and walk for several hours (like around the shops or a park or whatever) to offset some indulgent eating or drinks.
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I've been back on MFP for a couple of weeks now. trying to use it more as an analysis tool rather than a way to lie to myself or make myself suffer. no judgements, right? no judgements.

so what I'm finding is a pattern I need to figure out how to fix. I'll eat great for one day - sometimes two - and the next day I'll gorge on crap. What I don't understand is that the days I'm eating well I'm not left feeling hungry or "deprived" - I actually enjoy it, feel good, etc - so it's not about deprivation/reward.

The things that lead me to eat the wrong stuff tend to be busy-ness and availability. The reality I'm trying to embrace rather than beat myself up about is that I don't cook much in the summers - I'm all grab-and-go. But when I try to stock up with freshies and such, I just dont eat them. After a long performance day in hot temperatures and hotter temperments, all I want is something sugary. or something made by someone else - i.e. restaurant food. I'm getting pretty good at ordering the PITA style - "burger, no bun, salad instead of fries... etc" but it's still not the answer.

carrying my camelbak bottle with me everywhere is definitely helping - just keeping drinking metric buttloads of water or unsweetened ice tea and it really does a lot of good. but it's not all of the answer.

ideas?

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Have you tried checking your blood glucose levels when you get the urge to eat badly?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016