homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Safe from Kidnapping (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Safe from Kidnapping
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Boogie - did you make it?

No - I lost 4 pounds
[Waterworks]

Never mind - onwards and downwards!

But Boogie..That's eight blocks of butter! That's great!!! Or two blummin great bags of flour.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Watching the last HB episode, I was concerned to hear them talking about "the end of the diet" - I do think that you can't think like that - it has to be a change in lifestyle which affects your eaing from then on. Although they were genuinely shocked by seeing the amount of weight that they had lost measured in lard, and then trying to lift it, and struggling!! I think that is a great way of showing yourself what you have lost: a block of butter is 250g - half a pound - but it's a good demonstration to look at and think about what you have succeeded in doing when you have "only" lost half a pound one week. That's a block of butter! That's bloody good going!

[Overused] to all of that, Dormouse!

I refuse to talk about a 'diet' - a 'regime' is just about acceptable, but it has to be sustainable indefinitely. I do think that's why people have such issues with putting the weight back on once they reach their target weight, because they go back to the old ways of eating and guess what? they get fat again.

The other thing - as Dormouse alludes to above - is that it is HARD HARD HARD to lose fat - if it were easy, everyone would do it and we would all be slender. But it AIN'T. It's amazingly hard to lose even half a pound, but when you see that slab of fat you can understand why. But it's difficult to stay motivated if you think you *ought* to be losing it faster.

Finally (!) I think there's a sort of inertia or delay when people come to the end of a diet - they stay the same weight or even lose a bit more and they think, 'oh, I've got this licked' but in fact it's just their body taking time to adjust before it sighs with relief and starts building up the fat reserves again.

Sorry to go on so!

Mrs. S, visualising the packets of lard [Snigger]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Dormouse for that reminder of what 2lbs looks like - it really does help me realise that actually 2lbs is significant.

My Hairy Dieter book arrived on Saturday morning, so I've been going through it to see how I can adapt those recipes that use dairy products and how the calories change (Soya products are lower so downwards in every case!). I'll probably use soya meat replacements a lot too, which again brings the calories down. At the moment I'm having quick & easy meals because I'm working on the vegetable patch from when I finish work until dark most evenings, leaving little time to cook "properly" but I'm looking forward to the time when I can try the recipes out.

With the help of some ideas taken from the HB series I had already started about 2 weeks ago, logging my food & exercise on MFP - so far I've lost 4lbs, so it's downwards but not as dramatically as the HB saw, but I think they reduced their calories rather dramatically which I'm not sure is a good idea - isn't there something where the body panics and starts to reduce the muscles rather than the fat? I've been eating most of the extra calories that I earn through exercise (amusingly, even flute practice gains me calories to eat!) and 2lb a week is, ISTM, a reasonable and steady loss - as long as it keeps coming off! I'll need to find another exercise for the winter though.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My conclusion in weight battle which I accept as being part of me is that .......................................wait for it!!!
Keep in your clothes!! I dropped a fair bit, now I fit my clothes and haven't had to buy any more since the new wardrobe size. Never a super model though!!

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
Thank you Dormouse for that reminder of what 2lbs looks like - it really does help me realise that actually 2lbs is significant.

2lbs a week is brilliant - well done!

I will get that Hairy Dieters cookbook, sounds great.

I'm still on 1300 calories a day - and, as Mrs S says, it's a regime not a diet. I really could keep this way of eating up ad infinitum. (and it looks like I'll have to at half a pound a week!!)

Onwards and downwards!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done all - 1 to 2 lb a week in the down direction all reckon is the way to go for health purposes. That's only a couple of cream cakes ans a portion of chips isn't it??
Salad and veg rule!!! (and a couple of chips too).

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My campaign, which hadn't really started, ground to a halt when I started getting really painful sciatica last Thursday. I've been laid fairly low ever since...certainly doing no exercise!

Still, we are eating more fruit and vegetables, and less other stuff. I still like my carbs too much though!

When my Hairy book arrives I'm going to start properly with relogging onto MFP and trying to exercise a bit. Swimming and walking are my exercises of (not really) choice.

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While resting after some cardiac issues that will drive me to be (finally) serious about my weight (lost 4 kg already, 8 to go), I watched the Hairy Bikers Tour of Britain from 2009 which was repeated on a digital channel here. I do love them but I dubbed it the Cardiac Tour due to the mountains of butter they used in everything.

Still, I've seen how much they lost in recent effort - good on them. Will keep an eye out for the book.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have lost 4 and 1/2 pounds in the last 4 weeks. Trying to keep the motivation going now I'm back at Uni, and won't have the same time to make things from scratch.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi All,

Some fantastic progress - well done guys!

Husband and I are back on the band wagon after an indulgent holiday in Krakow (the duck with beetroot and the plummy bread were particularly good. Plus the vodka!). I'm aiming to lose around 3kg (6ish pounds) by my birthday in early Nov.

Good luck to one and all...

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are not a family that throws things away, so over the years many of my "outgrown" clothes have been shoved up in the loft on the basis that I might be able to wear them again "one day".

At the weekend I got it all down and had a sort-out. It seems that "one day" has arrived, and has almost gone again, as I now have a mountain of summer dresses that are on the verge of being too big - just as the autumn arrives here.

It all has the smell of old stored clothes, so I am in the midst of washing it - can't say I'm looking forward to the ironing - and then I'll see if there's anything I want to keep before spreading the rest around the town's charity shops.
I'll have to concentrate on the ones that specialize in "vintage" clothes, as these are outfits from the eighties. Some with matching hats [Big Grin]

And there are some even older (and smaller) clothes that will go back into the loft, because you never know...

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
At the weekend I got it all down and had a sort-out. It seems that "one day" has arrived, and has almost gone again, as I now have a mountain of summer dresses that are on the verge of being too big - just as the autumn arrives here.

It all has the smell of old stored clothes, so I am in the midst of washing it - can't say I'm looking forward to the ironing - and then I'll see if there's anything I want to keep before spreading the rest around the town's charity shops.

That's deserving of another round of appplause, RoS - clear it all out, you'll feel So Much Better [Overused]

Mrs. S, currently reviewing handbags - you don't grow too fat for those!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's true, but it's the wear inside I look for. Unless the bag is extremely beautiful I don't keep bags with threadbare linings, stains, etc.

Then again, I have only one bag which cost a large amount of money, and one other which was also expensive although not so much. The really dear one has been used only a few times. I bought it with an ulterior motive - to show to ex- Mr L and his supporters that I was perfectly capable of looking after myself and was doing a good job of it. It shrieked quality. I bought it for ex-MIL's funeral and enjoyed wearing it. OK, not a good motive but it worked for me at the time.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:
That's true, but it's the wear inside I look for. Unless the bag is extremely beautiful I don't keep bags with threadbare linings, stains, etc.

Then again, I have only one bag which cost a large amount of money, and one other which was also expensive although not so much. The really dear one has been used only a few times. I bought it with an ulterior motive - to show to ex- Mr L and his supporters that I was perfectly capable of looking after myself and was doing a good job of it. It shrieked quality. I bought it for ex-MIL's funeral and enjoyed wearing it. OK, not a good motive but it worked for me at the time.

[Overused] DEEPLY IMPRESSED [Overused]

I don't like to keep them when they show too many signs of wear but when they've been given to me, I have a hard time ditching them [Roll Eyes]

Mrs. S, owner of a whole range of bags

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We are not a family that throws things away, so over the years many of my "outgrown" clothes have been shoved up in the loft on the basis that I might be able to wear them again "one day".

I'll have to concentrate on the ones that specialize in "vintage" clothes, as these are outfits from the eighties. Some with matching hats [Big Grin]

And there are some even older (and smaller) clothes that will go back into the loft, because you never know...

The hats sound cool! But I'd be very much on the throwing away side of things. Maybe see the decluttering thread for inspiration!
Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
The hats sound cool! But I'd be very much on the throwing away side of things. Maybe see the decluttering thread for inspiration!

Oh, I've had my turn on the decluttering thread.

Most of this stuff will be donated to charity but at the moment I'm still washing and ironing. There's far too much to dump on one charity shop all in one go, so I'm currently packing up the winter-weight clothing for the next couple of trips into town. The rest will follow in installments according to seasonality - and size.

I wore one of my old dresses for choir practice this week, which caused some comment as they are not used to seeing me in a dress, other than my concert black. I am thinking of having "one last wear" of each of my favourite eighties dresses whenever I go out, just for the fun of it, but I won't be keeping them. Apart from any other reason, I intend them to be too big in a few weeks. [Biased]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Rose of Sharon said
quote:
Oh, I've had my turn on the decluttering thread.
I had a lightbulb moment [Big Grin] just then, seeing how many of us frequent both threads. What we are all striving for is to declutter our bodies of fat, as well as our living spaces of STUFF! (though we needn't go as far as HWMBO and have our appendices out also!)

Mrs. S, wondering exactly how this helps?

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

Goodness me! I had to check the title of this thread when I read the last couple of posts. I wish it was as easy to declutter my waistline as it is to declutter my study (and as I'm not having much success with either at the moment, I'm not sure quite what that says about me...!)

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
Hi All,

Some fantastic progress - well done guys!

Husband and I are back on the band wagon after an indulgent holiday in Krakow (the duck with beetroot and the plummy bread were particularly good. Plus the vodka!). I'm aiming to lose around 3kg (6ish pounds) by my birthday in early Nov.

Good luck to one and all...

Hope you enjoyed Krakow and its wonderful food.

We went there 5 years ago and still remember it with great affection - and the salt mines nearby - and, though not fun, the concentration camp and Schlinder's factory.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I have just had a very nasty shock. Having weighed myself I find I'm into triple figures (kilos not stones, I hasten to add...but still far too weighty!) I should not be anywhere near this weight and so SERIOUS measures need to be put in place.

I have sciatica fairly badly at the moment, so exercise is a none starter, but the eating side needs to be watched more closely.

I must try to be positive and see this as an "opportunity". I just feel really rather overwhelmed at how much I need (and I think that is the word -"need" not "want" any longer) to lose.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Courage, mon Dormouse! (to be read in a French accent!)

It can be done. It MUST be done! And YOU are the Dormouse to do it.

Full of encouragement this morning as I have dropped below 10 stone for the first time in YEARS (only by a few ounces but the excitement is intense). Also, as reported on the decluttering thread, I now fit into several pairs of trousers (not all at once) that have been completely out of the realms of the possible. So, if I can do it so can you.

(Here endeth the first lesson - sorry none of that was at all meant to sound patronising, but I have lost a stone and a half by cutting out most sticky things and just eating more sensibly! and wanted to share this...)

Mrs. S, full of the joys of spring (in September??)

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
I find I'm into triple figures (kilos not stones,

Two years ago I was into triple kilos, and to my amazement find that I have lost very nearly a third of that amount.
So, take heart, it can be done - with sufficient motivation and determination. Looming health problems and the threat of yet more medication gave me the motive, and I'm sure you'd find the sciatica easier to manage if you could shed a few kilos.

Mrs S - I don't remember ever weighing below 10stone. Once upon a time Mr RoS and I were both aiming to hit that weight, but from opposite sides. Despite all efforts he remains steadily stuck half a stone below the target and I've been up and down the scales many times and never got down anywhere near it.
So well done you.

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheering you on Dormouse. You can do it!

The need for job hunting yet again has made me try on my suit.

This nearly ended with actual tears- and has finally given me the push I needed to tackle things seriously. (I hope).

I am thoroughly fed up with being too big for all my clothes, and want to be fitter and healthier if I can.

I am determined to fit that suit again. Intermediate goal-fit into my jeans by Christmas

[ 17. September 2012, 14:04: Message edited by: Mrs Shrew ]

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Mrs S - I don't remember ever weighing below 10stone. Once upon a time Mr RoS and I were both aiming to hit that weight, but from opposite sides. Despite all efforts he remains steadily stuck half a stone below the target and I've been up and down the scales many times and never got down anywhere near it. So well done you.
Thank you so much. For quite a lot of my life hitting 10 stone was a trigger to get to grips with my weight, but last time for some reason I just sailed past *sigh* and it has been hard, slow going to get back there. But it's all about motivation, isn't it? And also, doing it for your own benefit and no-one else's (otherwise if you have the hump with them you get that 'sod it' feeling and stray back into too much of the bad stuff.

So, be encouraged everyone - I find this thread great for that!

Mrs. S, giving three loud cheers for all of us

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

Thank you for your support (and no, it didn't sound patronising) I'm back on My Fitness Pal (Dormouse85 - maybe I should make that my first goal - to ACTUALLY be Dormouse85kilos!) so if you're on there too, please give me a wave.

My Hairy Bikers book should be arriving next week and I'm feeling ken!!!! Of course, that may not last.

RoS did you have any tricks to help you with your BRILLIANT weightloss or was it just sheer bloody hard work, sweat and tears?

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can do it Doormouse.

Just stopping by to say I've lost half a stone since starting the new healthy regime. [Yipee]

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:

My Hairy Bikers book should be arriving next week and I'm feeling ken!!!! Of course, that may not last.

RoS did you have any tricks to help you with your BRILLIANT weightloss or was it just sheer bloody hard work, sweat and tears?

Lucky Ken!

My first aim was to get the blood pressure down to safer levels, so I stuck pretty rigorously to the DASH guidelines (Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension), but on the lower calorie allowance, as lowering that 3 figure kilogram weight was going to help with other health problems. Once the first few Ks went fairly painlessly I was pretty keen to continue.
It hasn't been a constant loss - I backslid badly at Christmas, and took three months to get back on the wagon - and then plateaued for a while in the summer.
I got the ball rolling again by joining MFP a couple of months ago, and am currently losing a fairly steady 1 kg a fortnight. MFP suits me more than DASH (although I still stick to DASH guidelines) because it allows me to measure and work out the calories on individual ingredients, rather than measuring everything by the cup.
I am enjoying working out low fat versions of recipes, and luckily I enjoy fruit and vegetables so am happy to fill up on those and rarely eat meat.

I am contemplating trying the 2:5 diet, as I was very impressed by the health benefits described in the Horizon programme "Eat, Fast and Live Longer;" last month.

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TME and I are doing the 2:5 diet, well I am doing it in a modified way as there's no way I can manage just 500 calories on fast days! I am basically just eating one meal (lunch) on the two fast days and trying not to go too mad on the non-fast days. It's early days, the first 2 or 3 weeks I lost a pound or so a week, but the last 2 I've put on 200-300g per week so I need to be a bit stricter with myself, and have gone back to MFP to at least vaguely monitor what I'm eating and holding myself a bit more accountable. I have also just joined the university gym (went for the first time today after work) - despite being unfit I do like the gym, but hate the hassle that goes with it (getting changed, queueing for equipment etc). This one seems very well equipped and despite the fact that there were lots of people there there were plenty of machines available for everyone. So I'm aiming for 2-3 times a week (ideally 3, on my non-fast work days, but I have to travel a bit with work so am not always around).

I have to be honest, the only time I have really been successful at losing weight was when I was signed up to a Rosemary Conley club. I had a calorie limit of around 1700 cals per day, all food had to be 4% fat or less, apart from a 150 calorie treat (so I allowed myself either a Galaxy Ripple or a pack of Buttons each day, as they are around 180 - I figured giving up chocolate entirely would make me miserable and less likely to follow through). In all honesty, I think my main downfall is eating between meals and portion size, and if I just wasn't so piggy I'd lose the blubber again. But going to the gym is a good start too.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
(so I allowed myself either a Galaxy Ripple or a pack of Buttons each day, as they are around 180 - I figured giving up chocolate entirely would make me miserable and less likely to follow through).

It's that feeling of being deprived that has finished off most diets for me over the years, and that's why I try to keep focussed on the blood-pressure & cholesterol lowering targets to the forefront of my mind. If I start thinking of weight-loss as the reason I am eating this way I will start feeling resentful and want to 'treat myself' to things that are not doing me any good.
That being said there is no food that I forbid myself, but do I try to indulge only infrequently and in small quantities.
quote:
I think my main downfall is eating between meals and portion size, and if I just wasn't so piggy I'd lose the blubber again.
It's so easy to let portion size expand over time - just heap that spoon a little bit higher, just cut that slice a smidgeon thicker. That's why I'm finding MFP, and my digital scales, so helpful in keeping an accurate track of what goes into my mouth.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
quote:
(so I allowed myself either a Galaxy Ripple or a pack of Buttons each day, as they are around 180 - I figured giving up chocolate entirely would make me miserable and less likely to follow through).

It's that feeling of being deprived that has finished off most diets for me over the years, and that's why I try to keep focussed on the blood-pressure & cholesterol lowering targets to the forefront of my mind. If I start thinking of weight-loss as the reason I am eating this way I will start feeling resentful and want to 'treat myself' to things that are not doing me any good.
That being said there is no food that I forbid myself, but do I try to indulge only infrequently and in small quantities.
quote:
I think my main downfall is eating between meals and portion size, and if I just wasn't so piggy I'd lose the blubber again.
It's so easy to let portion size expand over time - just heap that spoon a little bit higher, just cut that slice a smidgeon thicker. That's why I'm finding MFP, and my digital scales, so helpful in keeping an accurate track of what goes into my mouth.

Have you guys read
'Eating Less' by Gillian Riley?
A lot of what RoS says above echoes that book, and I found it useful. YMMV, but worth a look.

Mrs. S, weighing that muesli

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Have you guys read
A lot of what RoS says above echoes that book, and I found it useful. YMMV, but worth a look.

You have caused my first impulse buy of the month - it is now on my Kindle awaiting me.

[Big Grin]

[ 18. September 2012, 07:59: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*sigh* There is nothing like the lights in a boutique changing room to bring home the awful truth - that and the fact that my arms wouldn't fit into certain jackets I tried on...oh yes, I am very safe from kidnapping right now, fellow shippies.

On the positive side, I read an ancient Indian love poem yesterday that lauded maidens with "the three fair folds splendidly circling their bellies." I may have to move to the sub-continent...

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
I think my main downfall is eating between meals and portion size,

I never ever used to feel full, unless I'd really pigged out, but I have come to recognise that most of my 'hungry' feelings were actually located in my mouth and throat, not my stomach, and they can be assuaged with a hot drink* - or by finding something absorbing to do.

A hot drink after my meal also gives my brain time to register that I have eaten enough and curbs the impulse to have seconds. Nowadays, if I pay attention to my stomach, I can tell when I've had enough

* A hot drink in my case is either fennel tea or elderflower tea (I find other infusions promise in aroma far more than they deliver in taste), or black coffee.

My 'danger time' is during meal preparation - twice a day, as Mr RoS needs lots of calories - and especially if it's a dish that has several stages that involve cooking something for a few minutes before adding the next ingredient. That's not long enough to leave the kitchen, but long enough to nibble quite a lot of the tasty things that live there and are not meant for me. I haven't found any sure-fire distractions for then, so have to try using willpower. [Frown]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Have you guys read

You have caused my first impulse buy of the month - it is now on my Kindle awaiting me.

[Big Grin]

[Devil] [Killing me]

Mrs. S, always adept at spending other people's money!

In fact, following on from the lightbulb moment above - It's All About Control! Isn't it? We want to feel in control of our lives and so we attack that problem from which ever angle we feel we need the most help with - eating too much, sinking under the weight of our possessions, Telepath attacking the Finance Monster with a big stick - whatever...

(not sure how much that helps, tbh!)

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sneaky mid-week weigh-in shows I've lost another 2 pounds, making it 8 so far since I started using ideas from Hairy Bikers and logging food on MFP. I am very happy with this rate of loss, and if it continues like this I should hit my target early next year. I am already noticing I don't have to squeeze into clothes and some things are much looser. I have found that when I get a snack attack I have a drink or think "that's not what I do now". Next week will be a challenge because I have a week in Spain, but hopefully there will be a lot of salad & fruit and other low calorie/fat options. I'll still be able to use MFP so that should help a bit.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One great thing about living here is sarees for the ladies and lunghis [sarongs] for the men so one size fits most!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I downloaded an app for the iPad last week - TapTrack - which aims to be a combo calorie-counter/ exercise log. It gives you a target for the day, consistent with your level of activity + weekly target weight loss.

Unfortunately my loggable activity is quite low (it doesn't seem to have a score for Mooching), so I appear on most days to have eaten 300 % more than requirement. OTOH yesterday, when I spent a couple of hours walking round shops, I could have wound up eating the dinner party I did on Thursday and still been under.

However, it does give you lots of pretty displays, and some illuminating statistics. The food finder is comprehensive and easy to use, and makes possible a pretty accurate record. I learn that on average I eat 2000 calories a day, which is fine for maintenance, but not loss. The other pluses are that it gives you something concrete to attempt, and the knowledge that you are going to record it can stay your hand from the biscuit tin.

How it will keep up when I go to Portugal for a fortnight is another matter.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

I've got MFP on iPad (how did I exist without this!!) and am delighted to find that I can include flute playing as an exercise. Even walking downhill is an option (can't find cycling downhill though).
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After several years of being unhappy about my steady expansion, I've finally found the self-discipline to do something about it. So far I've lost just over a stone, and have around another 1 1/2 stone to go... I've also joined MFP, after having it recommended by a friend, and find it very useful for keeping an eye on how much I'm eating (although I only track calories, not everything else).

After a quick start, I've slowed to losing around a pound a week, but with having started doing some exercise too, the inches are still disappearing even when the weight doesn't seem to be doing much. I'm thrilled to have gone down a whole clothes size so that I can put away some things that are now too loose, and can finaly get back into some favourites that have been a bit too snug for public viewing for a few years now...! It's a small excitement every morning at the moment, as I wonder what to wear and idly try something on, only to discover it's back in the 'wearables' [Big Grin]

Another 4lb and I'll be halfway to my 'most I'll settle for' target. In a dream world there's another half stone to go beyond that, but I'll see how things are going when I get close. For now, I'm taking it a week at a time, and focussing on the small targets.

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Beethoven wrote
quote:
so that I can put away some things that are now too loose,
Are you sure that's the best thing to do? I would very strongly advise you to get rid of them, rather than put them away! My view would be that if you have larger-size clothes available, then in effect you have given yourself 'permission' to put that weight back on again one day.

There's nothing like having to go out and buy new clothes a size bigger for bringing you to the point where you think 'hold on, I should be doing something about this'. I can think of at least two occasions when that has triggered in me a determined effort to get thinner. Which is why what Wodders said about 'one size fits all' is actually not a good thing (a bit like elasticated waists!).

YMMV, of course, but that's my opinion.

Mrs. S, shooting her mouth off again [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi daisy daisy and Beethoven - I'm on MFP too...would you like to be friends? The more support the better I think! [Big Grin]

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been on a diet free of cow's milk & cow's milk-based products, which the doctor recommended I follow to help my asthma, which has worked really well for that, but after the 2 month trial, I weighed myself and was shocked to find out I was not far under the 3-figure kilo weight, but weighed myself last week and have lost 3 kilos in a month, and that was with hardly any exercise regime!
Seeing as milk powder is in everything, it's cut out a lot of my favourite snacks (milk choc, crisps, cakes/biscuits), which I've replaced with fruit and other healthier alternatives. Now I've started swimming (going to get myself a semester/yearly pass when I get paid) and hope to go twice a week, plus have a fun swimming session with the little girl I look after on Weds who is moving to a house with an indoor pool! I'm also walking to work from the station as the buses are expensive and I only take about 10-15 minutes more to walk it than the bus, so it's healthier too!
If I keep up my weight-loss, by the Summer I'll be under my target weight and my mum's promised me a whole new wardrobe if I do!

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by harmony hope:
Hi daisy daisy and Beethoven - I'm on MFP too...would you like to be friends? The more support the better I think! [Big Grin]

Good idea - I've sent you a PM.
Any othe MFPers want or join us?

Dormouse

# 5954

I'm Dormouse85 on MFP. Feel free to send me a friend request.

I'm doing quite well in the eating dept, staying under 1500 cals (or just over) a day. On MFP, when you log your foods for the day it says "if every day were like this, you'd weight --- in 5 weeks" When it told me a weight 2.5 kg less than now, I was disappointed, thinking "that's not much..."

Until I took my own advice, thought about it in butter terms, and realised that's 10 packs of butter. Oh, well. That's not bad then!!!

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

My friend had a baby yesterday, which weighted the same as I had lost in the last five weeks (7lb) this made me feel good about my weight loss!!

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

Oh yes, Surfing Madness, what a great way to think of it!! That is brilliant

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

Sorry, a double post (but with quite a lot of time between them!) I've just received my Hairy Dieters book from Amazon [Yipee]

Lots of interesting-but-cookable recipes. [Yipee]

--------------------

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just joined My Fitness Pal, mostly to support my husband although I'd like to lose a couple of pounds (or maintain current weight). I'm trying to get fit more than lose weight, so I'm enjoying the exercise log. I think I'll also eat less junk if I have to write it down. I have a bit of a problem when I start college - I'll be eating in at least 8 times a week, and I'm told the food is great but fattening. I'll probably have to guess at calories so it won't be accurate, but hopefully it'll help me to make better choices.
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

Today, despite other problems, is officially a [Yipee] day.

I've lost 2 kg in a week! That's 8 packets of butter! Woo-hoo!

I know it's my body getting used to fewer calories, I know that it will slow down, but I have lost 2kg this week!!!

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

quote:

OOOps! I've just read this post back (from a long time ago!) and realised that I was feeling Ken! He's not complained though...

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016