homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Safe from Kidnapping (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Safe from Kidnapping
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:

but I have lost 2kg this week!!!

Yay,
[Yipee] Every achievement deserves to be celebrated.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Are you sure that's the best thing to do? I would very strongly advise you to get rid of them, rather than put them away! My view would be that if you have larger-size clothes available, then in effect you have given yourself 'permission' to put that weight back on again one day.

I will get rid of them eventually - but I'd like them to be two sizes too big first! Not sure why - I have absolutely no intention of going back up to that size, even if Mr B reckons I will at some point...! [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
My friend had a baby yesterday, which weighted the same as I had lost in the last five weeks (7lb) this made me feel good about my weight loss!!

Ooh, I like this! [Smile] I have a friend who's just had a 9lb-er, which means I've lost just over two of him since early July!

I'm feeling good today. I've made it to 1 1/2 stone total loss so far, which is about half-way
[Yipee] It also means that the trousers that I only got back into a couple of weeks ago are already feeling rather loose. Not too big yet - but on the way. And I'm following the NHS Couch to 5K plan, and completed Week 2 yesterday despite the pouring rain. This week looks set to be HARD, but I'll give it my best shot - and if it's too much, I'll just repeat Week 2...

I'll try and work out how to do friend things on MFP for those who've said! [Smile]

{Perview psot would love to be my friend!}

[ 24. September 2012, 10:10: Message edited by: Beethoven ]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:
quote:
Are you sure that's the best thing to do? I would very strongly advise you to get rid of them, rather than put them away! My view would be that if you have larger-size clothes available, then in effect you have given yourself 'permission' to put that weight back on again one day.

I will get rid of them eventually - but I'd like them to be two sizes too big first! Not sure why - I have absolutely no intention of going back up to that size, even if Mr B reckons I will at some point...! [Roll Eyes]

quote:
My friend had a baby yesterday, which weighted the same as I had lost in the last five weeks (7lb) this made me feel good about my weight loss!!

Ooh, I like this! [Smile] I have a friend who's just had a 9lb-er, which means I've lost just over two of him since early July!

I'm feeling good today. I've made it to 1 1/2 stone total loss so far, which is about half-way
[Yipee] It also means that the trousers that I only got back into a couple of weeks ago are already feeling rather loose. Not too big yet - but on the way. And I'm following the NHS Couch to 5K plan, and completed Week 2 yesterday despite the pouring rain. This week looks set to be HARD, but I'll give it my best shot - and if it's too much, I'll just repeat Week 2...

I'll try and work out how to do friend things on MFP for those who've said! [Smile]

{Perview psot would love to be my friend!}

Aren't husbands just wonderful, supportive, encouraging human beings?

[Overused] That is really terrific news, many congratulations to you and everyone else whose weight is moving in a downwards direction!

Mrs. S, beatifically counting packets of butter

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done to all of you - sounds like MFP might be a good thing. I did ok saturday, too many snacks yesterday, loved the moment this morning when my calorie total for the day was negative [Smile] Might have to exercise in the morning more often!
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no idea what I did last week that was different from the previous three weeks but my weight has finally shifted from the plateau and in the right direction! I have lost 2lb [Yipee]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello again,

Sorry I've been lost in the wilderness... I have been logging as Eleanorjanethinner on MFP so any friend requests are welcome! I'm usually pretty active about commenting (nicely) when I'm there. I'm friends with Dormouse if you can't find me by searching.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more excellent results from you all! [Smile]

Cheers,
Eleanorjane

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fab work everyone - love the support on here and on MFP!

Jenn - can I add you as a friend on MFP and anyone else would be more than welcome! [Smile]

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
I have no idea what I did last week that was different from the previous three weeks but my weight has finally shifted from the plateau and in the right direction! I have lost 2lb [Yipee]

Yay! for JoannaP's disappearing packets of butter!

I think that's one of the reasons people lose heart - they work hard at keeping to a regime, exercising and so on, and NOTHING HAPPENS! but if you just keep b*ggering on, as Winston Churchill put it, the weight does eventually begin to move. That and the 'cycling' element, where you lose some, put most of it back on, then lose it again with maybe a bit more - they all sap my motivation, I know. [Roll Eyes]

Mrs. S, b*ggering on

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
harmony hope, feel free to add me (and anyone else!) I'm dentedloris on MFP
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Aren't husbands just wonderful, supportive, encouraging human beings?

I can't complain really - so far he's been great - and despite me saying that I wasn't putting him on a diet; anything he wanted to lose was entirely up to him, he's really got into it and has so far lost more than I have! [Smile] (Tis a bit galling when he gets more comments and compliments, but hey-ho! I keep reminding myself I'm doing this for me, not for other people's opinions...) And he didn't even snigger when I told him I was starting running! [Hot and Hormonal]

I'm wearing another new-old outfit today! It's amazing how good this feels. [Yipee]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone got any ideas for non chocolate/ biscuit based snacks/ motivation for when I'm studying.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I munch on raw carrots! Yummy!

[ 25. September 2012, 14:10: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Welease Woderick, I like raw carrots.

Sweet peppers in sticks, or cucumber, or apple pieces.

Cherry tomatoes are also tasty.

Slightly less low calorie are raisins/sultanas and dried apricots.

I also like popcorn (if you pop it yourself, in the microwave for preference) then you don't need to add any oil or butter. While it is still hot then it is yummy without any salt or sugar or anything added.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anyone got any ideas for non chocolate/ biscuit based snacks/ motivation for when I'm studying.

Depends whether you're actually hungry or just bored or wanting a reward to motivate you.

If you're actually hungry, I suggest hot drinks (I find a hot drink bulks out any snack and finishes off a meal instead of dessert) and things with protein like hummus, light cheese, cottage cheese, yoghurt... apples and crunchy veg are good too.

For the other two, you know better than us what little treats would motivate you. For boredom, take regular short breaks and mix up what you're doing and study as actively as you can (not just reading and highlighting).

Good luck!
Eleanorjane

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Failing that for small treats - stashed in my drawer at the office I have a bag of those individually wrapped dark chocolate squares that you put in the saucer with a cup of coffee.

One of those gives me a lovely cocoa hit but the individual wrappers make it much easier to eat just one then stop.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Have you guys read
'Eating Less' by Gillian Riley?
A lot of what RoS says above echoes that book, and I found it useful. YMMV, but worth a look.

Mrs. S, weighing that muesli

I took the book away with me to Germany and have returned inspired - it teaches you how to eat less - yes really! I found myself able to resist all sorts of gorgeous Kuchen.

I will keep dipping in to it to keep an track. One thing recommended is to only weigh yourself once or twice a year. Hmmmm that will be difficult!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Have you guys read
'Eating Less' by Gillian Riley?
A lot of what RoS says above echoes that book, and I found it useful. YMMV, but worth a look.

Mrs. S, weighing that muesli

I took the book away with me to Germany and have returned inspired - it teaches you how to eat less - yes really! I found myself able to resist all sorts of gorgeous Kuchen.

I will keep dipping in to it to keep an track. One thing recommended is to only weigh yourself once or twice a year. Hmmmm that will be difficult!

So pleased you thought it worthwhile! *mops brow* but there's no way I could stick to that recommendation. I found 'planning' what you are going to eat a really useful way to avoid snacks during the afternoon - at work, if you're bored, it's socially acceptable to spend 5 minutes walking to the vending machine, buying bar of chocolate and eating it, but not to spend the same amount of time playing Arachnid. So, I have had to convince myself that I just don't buy stuff from the machines, and put up with being bored!

Mrs. S, cooking Hairy Dieters' recipes!

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
checking in for accountability purposes.

I've spent the last week working incident command for the flooding, and all our food was random donated crap. all my healthy choices went to hell. hello, cake!

So starting this morning I'm going on a 7 day "cleanse" - not a crazy liquid diet, just going pure paleo, no cheats. no sugar, no grains, no dairy, no processed food for 7 days to try and flush the grunge out of my system. meat (non-preprocessed. any sausages will be homemade), fresh or frozen veg, dark-colored fruits only, coconut oil and milk (without additives) for cooking. must be strict!

here comes the sugar withdrawl. AGAIN!

also sticking to 1 hour workouts of my choice - yoga, dance, weights, whatever floats my boat - per day.

I'll check in on the 4th to let you all know how I did. I need the accountability, so hold my feet to the fire!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is some (probably not very useful) support:
Go, Comet! Go, Comet!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

Comet, that sounds like a tough week. I have considered cutting out sugar in the past, but not grains too! Good luck.
I'm doing MFP and it's definitely making me think twice about my snacks - I am making better choices which has got to be good. It's also helping me with portion control. It won't happen so well next week as I'll be eating in college most of the week. I'll do guess work on the calories so inaccurate but hoping that tracking will mean I choose better foods.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I've discovered cracked pepper ryvitas - they have ancient tangy punch that I seem to need.

Currently the calorie watching is on hold while I am sampling local Cataln goodies, mostly shellfish. 2 days before I weight myself and I'm just hoping that the 8lbs that I lost before coming away hasn't rushed back on.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Have you considered sex instead of snacks - with or without the involvement of another person - very motivating & burns calories.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Have you considered sex instead of snacks - with or without the involvement of another person - very motivating & burns calories.

Hehe - I agree, but I have to say that instead of smoking (which I don't) I always fancy a huge bar of chilli chocolate!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm, good news and bad news here. The good news is that since reaching my heaviest point ever at the start of this year, I have shed 9lbs and in the last month have joined the gym and been better at getting close to my MFP limits (most days anyway [Smile] ).

However, the bad news - today I had my blood pressure rechecked after a high reading a couple of weeks ago, and it is still high (I'm going to have to have some more investigations, bloods and 24hr monitoring etc, sigh). I don't know if the blubber I'm carrying around is causing it, but it's certainly not helping, and so I'm going to have to get really serious about shifting the weight and doing more exercise and eating more healthily. Which is probably the wake-up call I need, but I am a bit fed up today [Frown]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Jack, did you see the Hairy Dieters? It is inspiring on the blood pressure front, because they both got their blood pressure back to where it should be.

Well done for how well you are doing so well, keep going you can get there.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
quote:

way more calories with a partner, I'd wager. It's pretty easy to be lazy when flying solo.

or, so I've heard.....

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Jack, did you see the Hairy Dieters? It is inspiring on the blood pressure front, because they both got their blood pressure back to where it should be.

Well done for how well you are doing so well, keep going you can get there.

Thanks. I'll see if I can find any of the recipes online, as I really don't think I can justify buying another cookbook when we don't use most of the millions we already have!

Actually it occurred to me that my BP has only been high the last couple of times it was measured; in July it was fine despite me being quite unwell. And lo and behold I realised that in August I started some medication (luckily only for a brief time period, not full-time) and checked the side effects, and it turns out that increased BP is one of them. The course is due to end at the start of next week so I think I will arrange for another reading in a couple of weeks and hopefully that will sort it out.

Though I will still work on shifting the blubber as well [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like I said on MFP, the Hairy Dieters are great for carnivores, but virtually useless if you are a vegetarian. Practically every recipe has meat/fish in some form or other. Having said that, I am using my book almost every day and really enjoying the recipes.
If anyone is interested, I blog about my food, link to recipes, show my menu plans and other such stuff on my blog, Fat Dormouse Getting Thinner. That is Blog 2 on the links in my signature. Go on! Pop over and comment! You know you want to. [Biased]

[ 30. September 2012, 11:43: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Comet, How's the "cleanse" going?

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

My career as a glamour model is over before it even began [Devil]

Thrilled to be able to tell y'all that I decluttered two bras from my pudgiest days - whisper it - 38DD! I was horrified to be measured at that, so I confided in The Intrepid Miss S, who tried to console me with the prospect of a new career.

Probably still wearing the same size *sigh* but from manufacturers stingier with the lace and elastic ...

Mrs. S, smug

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

Lost another (nearly) 500g. That means I've lost (almost) 2.5 kg in two weeks. That's fine for me!

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:

mostly good except for an epic sugar breakdown two days ago. I wonder if rehab would take sugar junkies?

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:

mostly good except for an epic sugar breakdown two days ago. I wonder if rehab would take sugar junkies?
If they did I'm sure they would have plenty of takers!

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

one thing I've learned over the last few months (and is helping... ish... right now) is that the more of "quota" you give yourself for good food, the less space you have for crappy food, but also it's a psychological boost.

here's the deal - I've been trying to stick with the Dr. Terry Wahls protocol (google. there's a good TEDX talk on youtube) for treating autoimmune disorders through diet. some of it I can't hack - for instance, I detest seaweed, so I take kelp pills. I also hate liver. I don't take extra vitamin A, I just take other supplements and forgive myself. The thing is, while she says to stick to a strict paleo diet, which eliminates many things, she goes on to recommend 9 whopping cups of 3 different kind of produce as well as lots of clean meat, fish, and the organ meats and seaweed (blech).

again, it's a psychological thing. Instead of focusing on all those foods I CAN'T eat (and therefore being tempted by the forbidden fruit) I'm focusing on getting 3 cups of greens, 3 cups of sulphurous veg, and 3 cups of dark colored fruits and veg, as well as a buttload of protein and good fats. when I meet those quotas at the end of the day, I get to feel all positive and pat myself on the back. and really, if I do meet all of those requirements, by default I don't fill up on junk because there's just no room.

(think about it. 9 cups. and that's just the veggies. it takes work.)

I give myself other points of leeway - the "oily fish" requirement should be easy - salmon is po'folk food here, and I have enough in my freezer to probably eat it straight for a month. but I get sick of it. so I have it maybe weekly (okay, every other week...?) and take daily fish oil pills instead.

and for the record - my 3 cups of greens most days is a giant smoothie with 3 cups of fresh spinach, 1-2 cups blueberries (meets the color requirement) and things like fresh ginger and macha for flavor. no yogurt or banana to thicken it - I'm over that need anymore. The others are a bit harder, and I often end up eating an obscene amount of broccoli or cauliflower for dinner to catch myself up on the sulphurs.

Anyway, thought I'd share this strategy with you. it's no magic pill but it helps me mentally.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love cauliflower and broccoli. I am also quite fond of salmon, and do eat oily fishes because it sure beats taking supplements. Not keen on smoothies and such. Eat lots of salad greens with no disgusting lettuce, but with cooked cold lentils and an oil dressing I make myself. No added sugar or salt. It is really important (and difficult) for me to keep my weight down living a sedentary lifestyle.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

I know what you mean Comet, my flatmate has introduced me to the world of slimming world, as there are loads of fab recipes, we get excited about food that is good for us, that there really isn't much room for the crap that we would usually eat.

--------------------

Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the fruit and veg front, I try and get more than 5-a-day, and I probably have about 7-a-day on average! I've discovered nectarines, spinach leaves, mango and pineapple pieces and loads more!
I'm not sure how much weight I've lost this month, but I was able to get into trousers 2 sizes smaller than I was wearing a month ago. They have an elasticated waist, but it means I'm going towards the smaller sizes in the plus-size clothing range I buy!

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Tried on my favourite long winter skirt, it now fits on top of my jeans! [Yipee]
My friend is excited because she has also lost weight,(she started off bigger than me) so it is now the right size for her.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Freelance Monotheist:
I've discovered nectarines, spinach leaves, mango and pineapple pieces and loads more!

Spinach leaves are great as a 'bed' for any kind of saucy meal.

[Smile]

I have lost another 3lb, which makes my total half a stone. Slow, but in the right direction.

[Big Grin]

I am finding the book 'Eating Less' by Gillian Riley a real help in changing my thoughts about food.

(Thanks for the recommendation Mrs S)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Dormouse

# 5954

Aren't we all doing very well. I am only weighing myself once a week, but I'm itching to climb aboard again to see if I've lost any more!

Tonight will be a bit tricky. It's our (used to be) weekly girly get together which involves a bottle of wine and nibbles. I'm making a rule for myself that I must have a cup of fruit tea BEFORE I have any wine. And if I want a 2nd glass of wine I must have a 2nd cup of fruit tea first! And I'm going to dust off (and give a good wash to) our popcorn maker and make some popcorn as a snack - a whizz of salt and a grind of blackpepper, but no oil or butter. Let's see how it goes.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm already really missing the longer daylight hours because now by the time I finish work it's just about too dark to work on the allotment, which was earning me extra calories. I absolutely detest the gym and swimming, but am just about to dig out my old
XBX book and charts - I've been doing them on & off (mostly the latter) since I was a teen, and it's a great way to exercise while dinner is cooking.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Another 2lbs down [Smile]
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey
I'm delving into this thread, and will try and skim read through the last 4 pages ...
was just looking at the topics of discussion and saw this. Love the thread name [Smile]
I was at a conference recently, and was doing the 'being nosey' thing during the worship, and having a look round. Right behind me stood a very large guy, with a t-shirt with 'fat people are harder to kidnap'. I did LOL. In the middle of the meeting.

Anyway, its great to see this thread ... and well done everyone who is attempting to lose weight.

Its so damn hard isnt it!

I joined Slimming World last year, and ended up a stone heavier by the time I quit.

I'm now back on it, and trying to balance being hungry all the time because of steroids with losing much needed to lose weight.

So far, since the beginning of July, I have lost 10 pounds back on Slimming World.

I have about 8 stone to lose tho!

The last couple of weeks have been tough, gaining 1 and a 1/2 pounds so I'm desperate to get back on track.

So, thats me, I look forwards to sharing some of this journey with you guys

HH xx

(edited for spelling)

[ 07. October 2012, 13:51: Message edited by: Horatio Harumph ]

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:

late to check in. didn't work due to the sugar meltdown that just continued and even got worse. I wish I could figure out whatever fix there is for the sugar binging.

trying to start "clean" today. the reality is, getting the rest out of my system is fairly easy. cutting the sweets is so huge I'm overwhelmed. trying to take it one day at a time right now (12 step program for chocolate!)

wish me luck, it's a mess. I'm pretty sure I GAINED weight over the last week.

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

Hard luck, Comet. Try to be kind to yourself - beating yourself up over it probably won't help...but what do I know? Maybe you're the kind of person who responds well to a tough talking to from yourself. I'm not. Hugs, if hugs are required. Beatings with a huge stick, if beatings are required!!

But can I whisper (with a grin) [Big Grin] I've lost another 500g (1lb) which means I've reached my self imposed target of losing 3kg in five weeks a week early (well, give or take 100g) I'm happy.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful country Portugal, but the standard food portion measure seems to be the Cartload, and the standard brandy measure the Bucketful. I am only surprised that I didn't gain more than 3lbs. However, that was on a base that had been slipping upwards, so I need to get a grip.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Checking in again. Now at my heaviest ever. Joined Weight Watchers this morning...things can only get better from here on in, right?
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
Checking in again. Now at my heaviest ever. Joined Weight Watchers this morning...things can only get better from here on in, right?

Welcome back St Everild, yes you can do it, and on this thread is a good place to be for motivation.

Had a good week this week, and lost 3lb, so feeling motivated to keep going.

--------------------

Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Had a good week this week, and lost 3lb, so feeling motivated to keep going.

thats brill, well done [Smile]

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, yesterday was Day One...and I managed to keep on target. But tonight is our Harvest Supper, and I have got to attend seeing as how I'm the Vicar. I'm planning to take a big green salad, some tomatoes and cucumber with me, and use them to fill out the jacket potato and cold meat that will be served. Haven't thought how to manage the pudding...
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016