homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Safe from Kidnapping (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Safe from Kidnapping
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know what you mean St Everild it's ok when you can plan out at home what you are having, but not so easy for going out. Try to think about what you are having over the week as a whole, then you can balance pudding out against less treats as other points in the week. Also I've got a lot better about saying no to "treats" unless I really like them, and not just coz they're there.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could say that they are all so wonderful and you don't want to offend anyone, so please can you just have a teaspoon, and I mean a teaspoon, of all of them to try? And hopefully end up with a small portion and no-one offended.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
Well, yesterday was Day One...and I managed to keep on target. But tonight is our Harvest Supper, and I have got to attend seeing as how I'm the Vicar. I'm planning to take a big green salad, some tomatoes and cucumber with me, and use them to fill out the jacket potato and cold meat that will be served. Haven't thought how to manage the pudding...

Will there be just one on offer or is this a potluck where lots of people will have brought things?

If there is just one, if it's something you really enjoy and you have points for it, have a small portion -- three bites are enough to get the enjoyment, seriously! If there are multiple choices and someone is liable to be offended if you don't choose theirs, have none of them, and if someone inquires, just say you're trying to lose weight. Do it with a smile and then change the subject.

And good luck with Weight Watchers! I lost a LOT of weight with them. As long you as you stick with the plan, don't try to fudge it, and get right back on when you do fall off, it really works.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went back to Tai Chi this morning, so was able to virtuously clock 90 minutes of continuous movement on my tracking app. Calorie spend pretty well cancelled by lunch though.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After a week's holiday on Menorca, doing a LOT of walking over rough ground with a high proportion of up and down - I have still managed to regain 2 lbs that took so much work to lose *sigh*. And before you kindly tell me that muscle weighs more than fat, I can feel it's gone back on round my middle [Waterworks]

I think it goes to show how finely balanced things are - a bit more bread, a bit more in the way of beer or other fizzy drinks, and the scales start to swing the other way. A salutary lesson! but it was worth it for the sunshine and the scenery ...

The Rueful Mrs S, no more bread and jam for you!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Harvest Supper was guesstimate for the first course, really. Plates were pre-prepared with a slice of ham, half a mini pork pie and three halves of an egg, hard-boiled. There was also a baked potato, I didn't have butter on the potato, and I took a mixed salad of tomatoes and cucumber to fill me up. There was a fresh fruit salad done in orange juice, and I had that with not much juice and no cream for pud.

Today has been another difficult day - a working lunch and a very nice soup, the recipe for which which I have had to look up when I got home and work out an approximate points value.

Tonight we are having Balsamic Roasted Chicken and Potatoes.

I really hope this works...I guess it is just a case of getting used to it, really, and I was very familiar with the "old" Weight Watchers Points system. My meeting isn't until Monday, so we shall see then. And I do need to take more exercise...

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slimming World is now launching in the States, so if anyone is interested the link is :
http://www.slimmingworldusa.com/

They have a joining offer on at the moment.

I don't know if anyone would be interested, but its always worth knowing whats out there, so if ever want to tell friends etc.

I joined SW because a friend told me about it. And it seems to work for me, so far. Ive gained some pounds the last few weeks because I have not followed the plan. When I do, I seem to lose weight.

The SW way seems to be by 'optimising' the food groups. So you can eat no end of stuff, so long as its the right combinations.

Anyway, hope no one is offended by me posting the link, but thought it worth mentioning its now in the USA

Hope your all having amazing weeks.

I weighed in on Thursday and have gained again, third week in a row, but I was expecting it. Back on track today tho and hoping for a 3lb loss this week, but time will tell!

HH xx

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I have worked out why I want to loose the weight I gained after I lost it all before...being a bit of a hoarder I still have a wardrobe full of classic clothes which I'd love to be able to wear again, which I felt good wearing and which were of good quality.

I went out today in a pair of nice trousers and a pretty sweater, and felt really good. Now I'm home I have changed back into my default wear of fleece (because I'm cold) and jeans (because they are resistant to cats claws).

Weigh in on Monday...I expect I'll find it hard because I am of a certain age...but it will come off, of that I am determined.

Now, what shall I plan to wear for Christmas?

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

4lbs off...
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
wahoo, well done! [Smile] thats brill.

are you following a plan as such?

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
4lbs off...

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

Aw, thanks! [Hot and Hormonal]

I have rejoined Weight Watchers.

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just over 2 years in, and 30kg off.
Onward and downward!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another 12 ounces [Yipee]

I know it doesn't sound much, but as long as it's in the right direction that's all that matters. After all it took over 60 years to get here and while I haven't got 60 years to get down to where I would like to be, I do have a year to get right for Miss S's wedding [Yipee] . Those photos are going to be around for a long time, I hope [Yipee]

As well, it is good that I have managed to get rid of the additional couple of pounds I put back on while on holiday!

So ... onwards and downwards as someone else said!

Mrs. S, counting those packets of butter

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done all!

[Yipee]

I have lost another pound - so onwards and downwards it is!

Every time I feel the 'addictive desire' for sugary and/or fatty foods I read a few pages of the Eating less book.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Frown] I've lost 4 lbs but when I went to buy new trousers today I have gone UP a dress size. I'm stupidly upset about this. Maybe I have just not bought trousers for a couple of years, but this is depressing. Back on the exercise bike tonight.
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:
[Frown] I've lost 4 lbs but when I went to buy new trousers today I have gone UP a dress size. I'm stupidly upset about this. Maybe I have just not bought trousers for a couple of years, but this is depressing. Back on the exercise bike tonight.

Don't let that put you off, dress sizes vary from shop to shop and even in good ol' M&S are definitely not an adequate benchmark. You can try on 3 pairs of the same trousers in the same size, one will be too big, one too small, the third will fit perfectly. (been there, done that, got the trousers in 3 different sizes to show for it) [Confused]

You have lost 4 lbs or 8 packets of butter - think of trying to pack those into your trousers with you and it may help! [Smile]

That's one of the hard parts of trying to get thinner - not only must you NOT celebrate losing weight by eating something fattening, if you put weight on or just plan feel fat you must think, well, tomorrow is a whole new day and I can start again. Come to think of it that's not unlike Christianity ...

Mrs. S, awed at her own perceptiveness [Overused]

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Just had my Gym induction, and first gym session. It went ok. Now to keep up the enthusiasm for going, and see if I can still wall in the morning!

--------------------

Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just had my monthly weigh-in and have only lost 500 grammes or so, which I'm very disappointed with! I'm sure some of it's muscle, and I've definitely lost inches as even my new trousers are getting loose, but they do have an elastic waist so maybe I've just stretched them putting them on and taking them off...

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
500g is GREAT Freelance Monotheist. Really!!! That's TWO whole packets of butter that are no longer slathered over your hips, or clogging up your arteries. That's a lot of butter. And it's nearly half a bag of sugar, and those things are heavy. You're no longer carrying that weight.

I bet if you carried half a bag of flour round with you all day, you'd soon notice that it was, if nothing else, uncomfortable. You've just shed that half bag of sugar. Me, I'm celebrating every 500g I lose because it's 500g nearer to my target. Yes, I'd rather it was a kilo, but it's half a kilo - and that's not bad!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Mrs. S, awed at her own perceptiveness [Overused]

I love your little end-notes, Mrs S. [Big Grin]

I recently read "Fat is a Feminist Issue" (yes, I know it's an oldie, I'm usually late to the party on these things [Roll Eyes] ) and had several lightbulb moments about why I'm overweight. Unfortunately they haven't stopped me stuffing biscuits and chocolate. [Roll Eyes]

Nen - wishing she could emulate Mrs S's posting style and also lose 3 stone. [Biased]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
I love your little end-notes, Mrs S.
Why thank you, Nenya! [Hot and Hormonal] I have to confess I stole the idea from Cattyish, I used to love those.

I love this thread, as I think it offers wonderful support to everyone trying to lose weight, or more accurately control their eating. I remember reading about Flausa, and Rose of Sharon, and thinking 'well, they did it, why can't I?'.

My lightbulb moment for today is also related to 'Fat is a feminist issue'. Because this is a virtual support network, we aren't in competition. We can all celebrate Freelance Monotheist's 500 grammes, or Jenn's 4 lbs, because we aren't looking at each other and so aren't trying to hold each other back. You know how it is - 'if you won't make me thin, Lord, at least make my friends fatter than me'?

Now we just have to learn not to sabotage our own successes!

Mrs. S, now completely flummoxed for suitable tail-piece! [Smile]

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

quote:
Originally posted by Freelance Monotheist:
I've just had my monthly weigh-in and have only lost 500 grammes or so, which I'm very disappointed with! I'm sure some of it's muscle, and I've definitely lost inches as even my new trousers are getting loose, but they do have an elastic waist so maybe I've just stretched them putting them on and taking them off...

500g OFF is a thing to celebrate, Freelance Monotheist! However small a weight may seem, if its come off it is a good thing. It all adds up.
Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's actually 800 g, as I weighed XX.3 kg last month, and now it's XX(-1).5, which makes me feel slightly better about myself! I also tried on a couple of pairs of jeans I haven't fitted into in ages, and I could do them both up, but, alas, not move/sit down/breathe in them comfortably, but by next month I think I will!

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
just a little thing, but I found out tonight that my 17 year old son now weighs more than me for the first time ever. it's silly but that makes me feel great. especially since he's growing into one big muscular fella.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet - that's fab!

Freelance Monotheist - I love the feeling when I can fit into a pair of jeans [Smile] Keep going!

The combination of a really crappy few days and the appearance of a tuck shop in the room I chill in has been pretty bad. Today is a new day (and I have no small change so I can't buy stuff). So want to binge of sugar though [Frown]

Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn that wine for tasting so good! And those nibbly bits! And why did I then have cheese on toast when I got home. D'oh! Hits head in frustration. [brick wall]

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Just checking in to say, keep going people we can do this. (This is as much to myself as others.) It's good to know there are other people who are doing this journey to.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do NOT recommend this but I have just had a few days of tummy bug - and I've lost 3 kilos!! It is the only bonus from a fairly uncomfortable time but I hope I can avoid putting it all back on immediately.

eta: now I'm feeling better, and actually had a bowl of porage this morning, I am trolling the internet for recipes! [Roll Eyes]

[ 19. October 2012, 09:27: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another bag of sugar lost, so 6 bags lost so far. Not sure where it's going from because although some clothes are looser, most are just as tight. Maybe it's going from my teeth or earlobes.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

Seriously, DaisyDaisy, it could be going from around your heart, your liver and your other internal organs. Which may not be obvious to look at, but which MUST be good for you.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah yes - thanks Dormouse - I hadn't thought of that.
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
5kg down, 10 to go.

Progress, at last.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I love this thread, as I think it offers wonderful support to everyone trying to lose weight, or more accurately control their eating. I remember reading about Flausa, and Rose of Sharon, and thinking 'well, they did it, why can't I?'.

Yay! You can do it! I found online support (through this thread and through MFP) to be absolutely vital to my weight loss. I needed to know that it could be done and that I wasn't trying to do it alone. I'm really grateful to all the people who helped me along the way (and a fabulous group of women who are now helping me maintain the weight loss). I still dip into this thread from time to time to silently cheer for all of you.

It can be difficult when you've spent a lifetime of allowing food to control to train yourself to control the food. I learned a great deal over the last couple of years about nutrition/calories/exercise/fitness, but I think some of the most important things I learned were about my actual attitudes and relationship with food. I'm still not completely in the "food is only fuel" camp, but I do now recognize that "food does not equal love" (if that makes any sense).

Anywho, just want to say, "Go Team!" [Yipee] [Overused] [Yipee]

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done to everyone with the successes. [Big Grin] And you're right, Mrs S - we are not in competition with weights and figures. [Smile]

I know I'm not in a great place with food at the moment and am comfort eating like mad... that's just an acknowledgement of where I am and it's not to say I don't aspire to lose some weight again when my head can get round it. [Smile]

Nen - reaching for another caramel shortbread. [Biased]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Dormouse

# 5954

Mr D is a big man, but he is fit. He goes for long cycle rides maybe once or twice a week, when he will burn over 2500 calories...but he is looking porky (so am I, I know - but I'm trying to do something about it!) He has a fairly physical job - he works in a supermarket, standing at the till, restocking shelves etc - but when he's not cycling or working he is slumped in front of the TV.

He eats my low cal dinners that I cook, but lunch is more "free for all" - that is we have bread, toppings, soup, and each makes their own sandwich. He'll also supplement this with a yoghurt/a couple of biscuits/ a banana (or all three!)

I'm worried that, even though he is burning off the cals when he rides, other days maybe he's not. Today I watched what he prepared for lunch and logged it into MFP. It came out as about 1,200 calories - just for lunch!!!!!!!! I told him this - I started by saying I was concerned, but he just got really cranky and said he objected to being told what he could and couldn't eat and could I please mind my own business, especially as he was actually losing weight (I have to say I'm not convinced by that, but there you go)

Do you think I did the right thing? Is there anything else I could do? I don't stock many biscuits and stuff, and what I do is low calorie - but that just means he eats more of them! Or do I just hope that what I said has planted a seed and keep on feeding him Hairy Dieters recipes for dinner?

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Today I watched what he prepared for lunch and logged it into MFP. It came out as about 1,200 calories - just for lunch!!!!!!!! I told him this - I started by saying I was concerned, but he just got really cranky and said he objected to being told what he could and couldn't eat and could I please mind my own business,

Been in that man's shoes - many times over the years, and there's nothing more likely to send me to the biscuit barrel, sweet shop or burger bar than someone (however caring) commenting on what I am eating.
If he's anything like me, step back!
When he sees that you are eating more healthily and benefiting from it, and when he decides that he needs to change to a more healthy diet, then you can advise - when he asks.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's the hardest thing in the world to do, but I think it's right. I'm another one who has an absolute meltdown (complete with trip to cookie jar) when I perceive that someone else is judging my eating habits (caring and correct though they may be!).

It's not right, but it's human.

What you might possibly try (if you can do it sincerely) is to keep on with your own personal self-care, and ask his advice (sincerely!) in ways of improving. Perhaps with regards to exercise, since he seems to be good at that. Hopefully, over a long period of time, that could move the situation from "you vs. me" to "the two of us together as a team."

But when in doubt, best not to speak. (How hard is that? [Waterworks] )

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

I have had a bad week. I have been comfort eating. I knew I would have put on weight. But 6lbs???!!!!!!! I need more sweets now [Frown]
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

No weight loss this week...no gain either. But I have been out to dinner twice. I thought I had been careful, but obviously not.
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

*sigh* 2 lbs back on when I thought I had shifted them *sigh* but then again, two large cooked breakfasts over the weekend probably did the damage. This even though we then had no lunch, and walked and geocached ALL day.

Sad to say I don't find exercise helps with weight loss. It's good in and of itself and we should all do it, but exercise bulimia is not the answer.

quote:
but he just got really cranky and said he objected to being told what he could and couldn't eat and could I please mind my own business, especially as he was actually losing weight
Two things here, Dormouse. I don't think men (by which of course I mean Mr. S) have any concept of the calorific value of food, or of how many calories they need to not eat (???) to lose a pound. That was where the first Hairy Dieters programme was so good, because of course you believe what someone on the telly tells you! And also it helped with the second point (below), because we could all see that these men needed to lose weight and by extension SO DID WE.

The second point I think - how can we help convince someone they really do need to eat less/ stop smoking/ give up alcohol - is worthy of its own thread but I need more time to grapple with phraseology before I do that. It's SO HARD - for instance, the Dowager Mrs. S wouldn't go to the doctor for ages as she knew that he'd tell her she should stop smoking. Naturally he had to say that, but she didn't want to hear it, and until she wanted to hear it - until she'd made her own mind up that she needed to stop - nothing anyone else could say would make any difference, and indeed might make it worse as the 'sod it' factor comes into play. We get all defiant, which is why losing weight or stopping any other addiction can only be done for our own sake, not for anyone else's. We get stroppy with them and we sneak a chocolate bar or a fag or a drink. But here's the killer - when we cheat we are only cheating ourselves.

I really wish I knew what the answer to that particular conundrum might be (I could make a fortune [Devil] )

Anyhoo, here's today's good news story. I met a former manager, who looked like a new woman - she had lost four-and-a-half stone over the year since I'd seen her. She looked fantastic and I told her so. So, again, if J. can do it, so can we all [Yipee]
(here endeth the lesson [Hot and Hormonal] )

Mrs. S, evangelist of encouragement

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Mrs. S, evangelist of encouragement

[Overused]

Thank you Mrs. S, I needed some encouragement today!

I think exercise helps in the sense that it makes you feel good and energised - so more likely to 'keep with it' food wise. Half term here, so I won't be swimming. but I'm visiting my Mum later, so I'll take my wellies to the farm and go for a brisk walk.

Onwards and downwards!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have lost 9 lbs twice this year. I'm really hoping I don't have to lose it a third time. My goal at the start of the year was to lose 15 lbs. The next 10 weeks may be a tough time in which to try to shed those last few pounds.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plus and minus day. On the plus side, I shed the last of the holiday gain and am within a lb of my lowest of the last year or so. On the minus, the scales in the hypertension clinic showed an increase for the same period.

I'm inclined to trust my own scales - certainly the differential they show. But now I wish there was a way of checking the calibration. But only if it would show they were a) accurate or b) overweighing.

I think I will start entering measurements as well as weight in MFP, as confirmatory data.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Well, back to where we were a week ago, so no harm done really *phew*.

A combination of busy lunchtimes, dank weather and a twisted foot from two weeks ago has really put the kibosh on my lunchtime walks, which is bad news [Frown] There's no Pilates this week or next (half-term). And between going wedding-dress shopping with Miss S. tomorrow (YAY!), and being committed to being in church at least twice on Sunday, there isn't much leeway there either to go for a long walk. I shall have to lock myself in the bathroom and do some tai chi!

Mrs. S, bum gradually welding itself to the chair [Eek!]

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

A whole stone lost now [Yipee] so just another 2 to go to my target. I'm a bit apprehensive about a curry tonight to celebrate a friend's birthday, but will stick to tandoori & a naan, hoping I can bring half of it home with me. Mind you, if I follow this diet plan rule 3 should cover me.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
daisydaisy, I love that diet!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

This week is a bit disastrous - Wednesday was my birthday, so Mr D insisted I drank most of the half bottle of champagne that he'd bought, and he fed me Vienetta for pudding. (Note: I didn't argue!)

On Thursday we had a Thermomix demonstration chez Dormouse, making fish in a creamy sauce and Iles Flottante, which were then eaten with a bottle and a half of wine.

And there's a joint birthday party for me and a friend on Saturday with all my favourite nibbly foodie things. And wine. I shall try to do some dancing but it will need to be long and energetic to get rid of that lot! Still, next week is another week!

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been following this fasting two days a week regime ever since the TV programme about the benefits of fasting. I've lost 3 inches from my waist and 2 inches from bust and hips. I don't know what I've lost in weight since I don't have any scales but I'm estimating at least a stone.

The biggest difference is the reduction of arthritic pain and stiffness and I'm sure this isn't accounted for only by weight loss. I felt it after just two weeks. I still carry a fold-up walking stick in my bag but haven't used it since then. My muscle tone has improved and this isn't due to any increased exercise. From what I've read arthritis is one of the conditions improved by regular fasting. I don't know how it works but apparently fasting improves circulation and strengthens muscles.

Compared to other diets I've tried this is easy. It's a regime for life but it doesn't feel restrictive at all. I fast two days eat what I like on two days and keep to about 1500 calories for 3 days. I can recommend it.

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TME and I are doing the fasting thing too - I can't speak for him but I must admit I'm not very good at sticking to 500 calories on the two fast days (I reckon I'm eating more like 900-1000 cals those days) but I am generally trying hard to just eat one meal on fast days, usually lunch, and combined with the gym 2-3 times a week I am finding I am pretty consistently losing around a lb a week. Today though I completely forgot that today was a fast day till TME came home and reminded me that we wouldn't actually be eating tea tonight - so I will probably skip breakfast tomorrow (which isn't a fast day) and have just the two meals then, and then one meal on Thursday.

The rest of the week I try to be healthy and keep to near my MFP daily goal of around 1600 calories, I don't always manage it but I am noticing a difference. My trousers keep falling down!

I can't say I feel tons better generally, but I do feel much better for having slightly less lard about my person.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016