homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Safe from Kidnapping (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Safe from Kidnapping
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stayed the same (again) but as I've lost almost 6 kg so far, (that's 12lb, give or take) I'm reasonably happy! However, the motivation is going, and I fear that at Christmas I may not care as much as I should what I'm eating. I will have to try to go out for walks...

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
I just want comfort food, coz it's cold outside.

I'm having the same desires for the same reasons - I know that the hungry feeling isn't coming from my stomach, but it's really nagging! I try to subdue it with hot non-calorific drinks, or low-cal instant soup if I'm really cold.
Then I try to find something that occupies my mind and hands. Luckily I've still got Christmas presents to knit for the grandchildren, and can't eat and knit at the same time.

I'm still on this plateau - think I'll drop the 2:5 regime after tomorrow's blood test, and maybe take it up again in the spring.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Stayed the same (again) but as I've lost almost 6 kg so far, (that's 12lb, give or take) I'm reasonably happy!...

6 kgs is OVER 13 lbs! A tiny smidgin [smidgen?] off a stone.

That is really good!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Stayed the same (again) but as I've lost almost 6 kg so far, (that's 12lb, give or take) I'm reasonably happy! However, the motivation is going, and I fear that at Christmas I may not care as much as I should what I'm eating. I will have to try to go out for walks...

Dormouse, remember - it isn't what you eat between Christmas and New Year that's the problem - it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas! In other words, even if you put some on again, don't give up, just sigh and get back to it. You've done it once - you can do it again, and as Wodders said, that's jolly nearly a stone, well done. [Angel]

More difficult here at the moment with Advent calendars and Christmas chocolates around, but the thing I have to do so as not to eat in the afternoons is drink 750 ml of water. I get back to my desk after my lunchtime walk - and that is a bad time for me, I start to think of all the goodies in the vending machines and coffee bars - and I think 'No, we don't do that sort of thing these days, we drink water' and it is amazingly (!) helpful. [Smile]

Mrs. S, swigging from that bottle as if her life depended on it [Smile]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes - every 'avoiding overeating over Christmas' tip is gratefully received by me!

I don't want to undo the progress made so far.

My first stop is psychological.

NO excuses!!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Yes - every 'avoiding overeating over Christmas' tip is gratefully received by me!

I don't want to undo the progress made so far.

My first stop is psychological.

NO excuses!!

[Smile]

Was it St. Everild who mentioned 'snug' trousers? I find they are a great aid to appetite control! which is why elasticated waists are such a BAD idea.

I remember reading somewhere about using a piece of string cut to length, to go round someone's waist - but can't for the life of me remember what they used it for? Like a tight waistband to remind you not to overeat - cut-rate gastric band perhaps? Or was it when people had lost weight they got a new, shorter, piece of string (my that's motivational...)

But anyway - well-fitting trousers is my Helpful Hint of the Day
[Big Grin]

Mrs. S, firmly repressing thoughts of chocolate

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid to weigh myself at the moment - I haven't been to the gym for nearly a month due to pressure of work.

However, I once managed to LOSE weight over Christmas by the following method:

1. Eat at least 3 pieces of fruit a day.
2. Have a snack of fruit mid-morning and mid-afternoon.
3. Restrict yourself to ONE Christmassy treat (small piece of cake, mince pie, couple of chocolates or similar) per day.
4. Only buy high-quality chocolate (2 very good chocolates are less fattening than a whole boxful of poorer quality and just as emotionally satisfying, IMNSHO)
5. Don't worry about calories on Christmas Day and Boxing Day; it's just two days out of the whole year. But remember that wine and beer are loaded with calories too; don't go overboard on the booze on any other days.

The fruit is the key - if you eat enough of it you will be too full to eat anything else. And provided you stay off the avocados and bananas you have to eat an awful lot of it before you've consumed the equivalent of a box of chocolates...

I found this plan very easy to stick to, but I don't usually drink much at Christmas (except for mulled wine - you know, the stuff with extra sugar) so more or less giving up drinking wasn't a big hardship for me.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
(2 very good chocolates are less fattening than a whole boxful of poorer quality and just as emotionally satisfying, IMNSHO)
Seconded, Jane R!

I buy very expensive Hotel Chocolat goodies and we are allowed two chocolates each on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays (Mr. S eats other cheaper stuff in between but I try not to). The days are non-transferable as well, so if you are out on Sunday night you don't get chocolate on Monday, frinstance. [Devil]

I find routine helpful like that, but YMMV - I think it may be an age thing, too.

Mrs. S, eagerly contemplating Friday night [Yipee]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm back, chagrined, and one seriously chubby chick. The last few months have been CRAZY with a play and our annual auction- where my co-organizer is a professional chef and always kept our wrksessions in snacks. Lovely bastard. The last few days I've seen publicity photos of myself and holy crap my face looks like a beach ball!

I was going to do a Whole30 (google, linking is a hassle on my phone) but with Christmas coming, i'm calling it a Whole 17- through Cmas Eve.

And... *sigh* back to MFP to keep track. Dammit.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I've come up with a bunch of rules for myself, but I find I'm only successful when I follow all of them:

Instead of telling myself "no," I tell myself "yes, but you have to wait an hour (or half an hour)."

Before I have something sweet, I have to have a drink of water (Mrs. S is right - it's amazingly helpful!). I also have to have something solidly nutritious (to keep my blood sugar from dropping too quickly after the sugar rush and just making me even more hungry).

I serve myself a small portion, even if I know I'm going to end up having more later (back to step #1). My particular weakness is soft drinks and when I open a new can, I will decide first how much I want and pour the rest of it down the drain before I start drinking it.

I remind myself that the first couple of bites / gulps taste the best - every extra bite tastes every so slightly less yummy.

I consume slowly and take the time to enjoy each bite / swallow as much as I can. I totally agree about the good chocolate vs. the poor chocolate!

I try to keep from ever getting really hungry and at the same time, try to eat only enough to keep me from getting hungry again for three hours or so.

When I know I'm going to be in a situation where I usually lose my self-control, I prepare by mentally rehearsing what I'm going to do (or not do) - I liken this to military preparedness.

Try hard to get as much sleep as you can - every rule is much easier to follow when you're well-rested!

I once managed to lose 10 pounds between Thanksgiving and Christmas one year with these rules, although I've not yet been successful in repeating that.

I hope something here helps, but I'm posting mainly as a way to recommit myself to following my own rules! (Thanks for listening. [Smile] )

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Husband asked what I weighed and was [Eek!] when I told him. Apparently he had no idea I was that huge [Paranoid] However, he is now actively encouraging me to lose weight, which can only be a good thing.

And now I've told my best friend what I weigh and she was visibly shocked, too. Perhaps I should tell more people!

Does anyone else find clothes sizing odd? Given my weight (currently 15 stone 7lbs, there, I've said it) I ought to be in outsize clothes, but I'm not. When I was speaking to my friend I was wearing an elastic-waist skirt and a size 16 Marks and Spencer top. Today I'm wearing size 16 trousers and an XL top, both from M & Co. If I say "I'm wearing size 16" I don't actually sound as big as saying "I weigh 15 1/2 stone." So I focus on that. I think that's why neither my husband nor my best friend realised just how heavy I was; they've got an idea of me being size 16/18.

Or am I kidding myself?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ I know what you mean, having not been the near the scales for years, I could tell myself it was fine, coz I was a size 16/18. When i actually weighed myself it prompted me to action. (I was 15 stone 1)
Telling people your weight does help with the losing weight. Every Monday I text a friend what I weigh, and also my flatmate and I, both write down our weight, it's amazingly motivating.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
I hope something here helps, but I'm posting mainly as a way to recommit myself to following my own rules! (Thanks for listening. [Smile] )
That's what we're here for, WH! All hints and tips gracefully accepted [Smile] because we all need all the help we can get - and we know it, too.

NEQ - are you tall? cos obviously that makes a lot of difference to how you are perceived. I've had to buy size 16 trousers - the black ones I gave away with much rejoicing - when I was 11 stone 6, at 5' 4" that's a BMI in trouble. I find a BMI is a good way of assessing your weight, less emotive (IMHO) that the actual figure in stone and pounds.

Anyway - whatever motivates you, I think? and at least you aren't trying to convince yourself that you are 'big-boned'! [Two face]

(x-posted with Surfing Madness)

Mrs. S, Evangelist of Encouragement

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not tall, Mrs S; I'm 5ft 5in.

I've currently also got size 20 trousers; the size 18 were too tight around the bum, but I have to wear a belt with the size 20s because they're too big round the waist.

What motivates me?
1) the fear that it's only a matter of time before my health suffers. I'd feel really, really stupid if I sabotaged my life with an obesity-related condition.

2) I might have a longevity gene, and if I do I don't want to waste it.

3) My 75 year old father recently raced my 18 year old up one of those "spider-web" climbing frames. I'm embarrassed that Dad is fitter than I am.

4) I'd like to have more choice of clothes.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Oh, and, Mrs S, my mother always told me I was "big-boned"! So that pre-disposes me NOT to use that excuse! Also, Mum claims that all the women in our family are fat, so I'm bound to be fat, too. Thems the rules!
(The good genes are all on my Dad's side.)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Does anyone else find clothes sizing odd?

Interesting. We are not that far apart in weight, but I would go for clothes three to four sizes larger. That may be because my preference is for loose fit and long length. Though it's also influenced by where you buy - there is not that much choice in bigger sizes, and very little actually on the High Street - shops like Ann Harvey and Elvi are now only available online. So if you are shopping remotely, you're more apt to go for the for-sure-this-will-fit size. Not that there is much uniformity in sizing between retailers in any case - or even within them. I would find that a 22 in M&S 'Women' or 'Classic' (you get to recognise the code) would fit but the same size in their trendier ranges wouldn't.

Though I think they have, as other outlets have, dropped the separate ranges and just do larger sizes in some - but, irritatingly, not all - items.

I'm driven more and more to dusting off the dressmaking skills - in which connection I notice Vogue patterns offer a surprisingly large proportion going into large sizes, so that says something. Probably, if you want clothes of decent cut and fabric, rather than cheap and skimpy and polyester, make 'em yourself.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

My sister-in-law and I wear the same size of clothes, but she's a lot lighter. We've taken it in turns to stand on the scales, so we both know each other's weight. She's more of an "apple" shape though and I'm more of a "pear." And my cousin and I are about the same weight, but she wears a size bigger.

I like long length and loose skirts, but long-sleeved T-shirt type tops.

[ 06. December 2012, 08:50: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
My sister-in-law and I wear the same size of clothes, but she's a lot lighter. We've taken it in turns to stand on the scales, so we both know each other's weight. She's more of an "apple" shape though and I'm more of a "pear." And my cousin and I are about the same weight, but she wears a size bigger.

I like long length and loose skirts, but long-sleeved T-shirt type tops.

You must be all muscle, then!

Mrs. S, looking on the bright side

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I do a little dance of showy of joy (even if you say no i will!)
This week for the first time ever i bought an item of clothes (fitted leggings) in Top Shop, I have never been a small enough size to do this before. [Yipee]

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I find a BMI is a good way of assessing your weight, less emotive (IMHO) that the actual figure in stone and pounds.
I don't. It makes no distinction between muscle and fat, so unless you're a couch potato it can be misleading. It also doesn't make any allowance for those of us of the female persuasion with, er, an abundance of bosom.

quote:
Anyway - whatever motivates you, I think? and at least you aren't trying to convince yourself that you are 'big-boned'!
I AM big-boned. I once got down to 10 stone 1 (BMI of 22.8) and my mother kept telling me I looked ill. I have very big shoulders (for a woman) and very wide hips. However hard I diet, I am not going to be able to change that. Yet according to the BMI I could go down to 8 stone 3 before starting to worry about being underweight.

'Big bones' may be used as an excuse for being fat, but some people really do have big bones. There's no need to sneer at us; some of us are fat as well and we're not all in denial.

On the upside, I am the right build for singing Wagner.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
'Big bones' may be used as an excuse for being fat, but some people really do have big bones. There's no need to sneer at us; some of us are fat as well and we're not all in denial.
My apologies, I had no intention of 'sneering' at anyone.

The Contrite Mrs. S

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Apology accepted - thanks, Mrs S.

Anybody got a horned helmet?

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Living in an upside down sort of world where tailored clothes are generally cheaper than ready to wear means that sizing as a means of whatever can be difficult - and most of my trousers have a drawstring waist.

...but they are all comfortable.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Living in an upside down sort of world where tailored clothes are generally cheaper than ready to wear means that sizing as a means of whatever can be difficult - and most of my trousers have a drawstring waist.

...but they are all comfortable.

but Wodders - have you got a horned helmet???

Mrs. S, rather hoping you can say 'yes' to that!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'll scour the attic for one in the morning.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never tell people what I weigh. the few times I've allowed guessing people tend to guess about 40-50 lbs lighter. yes, really.

And I'm not big boned, I'm actually fairly tiny. but I'm very muscular. according to the BMI I'm obese, but to look at me I'm plump and curvaceous.

Don't trust the BMI, it lies. and it will make you feel like shit when there is no reason to. I need to lose, but I'm not unhealthy (Doc says!) an when I've been in the "healthy" zone of BMI I looked too skinny and it didn't last. I'm 5'2" and look my healthiest around 150 lbs. According to the BMI, that still makes me "overweight".

the BMI lies.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
comet, you live in a seriously cold climate. Don't you need some subcutaneous to handle that? How lean is everything else in your latitudes?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

absolutely the extra layer helps. AND it's hard not to have it. even the really skinny folks put on weight in the fall whether they like it or not. And I'm happy with some - I've just put on more than my comfort level lately.

My rule of thumb is that so long as everything is in the right places, I'm good. when I start to get tummy pooch or more than normal chinnage, it's time to be a little strict with myself.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having upped the calorie intake by 10-50Cs I detect some downward movement, and have finally made the "35Kg off" mark.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another 2 lbs off this week...making a total of 13 1/2 lbs since the middle of October. Just another 1/2 lb to make it
1 stone...

Yay me!!

The shrinking St Everild!

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Yay you indeed, St. E - and RoS too. Whoopee for all of us!

(though with two lunches out this week I may need be back on the Lettuce Pretend diet) [Ultra confused]

Mrs. S, pretending she has some lettuce to go with her bottle of water

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Well done Rose of S, and St E.

I am pleased to say that I have made my Christmas target, meaning I have now lost a stone and a half since August.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Not a good day.
I marzipanned my Christmas cake - and ate the trimmings [Hot and Hormonal]

Happily it only took about 50g to make me feel sick; I use to be able to eat most of a 250g block before that happened [Eek!]

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to all of us who are less than we were...
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
Not a good day.

Happily it only took about 50g to make me feel sick; I use to be able to eat most of a 250g block before that happened [Eek!]

In that case, don't you think that makes it a good day? I notice this a lot now - I just can't eat the quantities I used to - which of course is rather the point! [Killing me]

Anyway well done to RoS, Surfing Madness, St. E, Dormouse - to all of us grappling with the issue of weight. Just think of all the improvements to our health - NEQ summed them up really well higher up the page, I thought.

Mrs. S, beset by chocolate Advent calendars

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Being a good Presbyterian, Mrs S, I have eschewed chocolate advent calendars in favour of the Church of Scotland AIDS / HIV project one. (Today's box reads "HIV+ women in Pune make Christmas cards to earn money. Give 5p for every Christmas card you receive today.)

I am baking a birthday cake today, and have planned a design in Smarties for the top. However, I don't need all the colours. There will be left-over Smarties!

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not a good day.

Yes - like Mrs S says, this is a positive.

I have a positive marzipan note too. I decided to pinch a little marzipan from the box last night and forgot!!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Being a good Presbyterian, Mrs S, I have eschewed chocolate advent calendars in favour of the Church of Scotland AIDS / HIV project one. (Today's box reads "HIV+ women in Pune make Christmas cards to earn money. Give 5p for every Christmas card you receive today.)

Make me feel guilty, NEQ, why don't you! I wouldn't have bought myself a chocolate one, but a friend at work bought it for me 'for being nice to her' (she recently lost her parents in fairly rapid succession).

However, as my positive for the day, I don't even LIKE marzipan, so am saved from that at least [Big Grin]

Mrs. S, salad for lunch again [Angel]

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

I adore marzipan...and have been known to eat the whole block before it got anywhere near the cake....Bad St E. We don't make a cake anymore...
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

It must be a hangover from years of fundraising, but as I was walking into w*rk today I was idly wondering how much weight we had lost between us, IN TOTAL? Seems to me it must be a stupendous - or maybe staggering! - amount. So, not for fundraising at all, but in gratitude for all that podge we aren't having to carry around any more, and possibly just in solidarity, is anyone else up for posting a Total Loss Figure on or about December 31st? Then we can tot them all up and be AMAZED [Big Grin]

It's only a thought - anyone else up for it? or isn't it a helpful idea at all?

Mrs. S, looking at those packets of lard

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Good Idea Mrs S.

I have lost 11 pounds [Angel]

I'm now having a boiled egg for breakfast which is really helping to stave off the addictive need for carbs. I still have the occasional binge, but have noticed that these blips always occur after a couple of glasses of RW. So I'm trying to think of strategies to prevent this without cutting the RW as I only drink it once a week.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

In that case I need to put my money where my mouth is! (rather than ch*c*l*te, frinstance). I have lost 24 lbs. [Yipee]

WOW - I HAVE LOST 24 LBS! [Angel]

So that makes 35 lbs already ...

Mrs. S, counting on her fingers

[ 12. December 2012, 09:04: Message edited by: The Intrepid Mrs S ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogie, I often have one of those tiny tins of tuna for breakfast, as another protein option for breakfast.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Boogie, I often have one of those tiny tins of tuna for breakfast, as another protein option for breakfast.

Huia

Good idea - I will get some, for lunch.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

Huia

Good idea - I will get some, for lunch.

[Smile]

I discovered the other day that Oliver Sacks (of 'Awakenings' and 'The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat' fame) eats tinned fish for lunch and dinner every day . It saves him time!

Mrs. S, wedded to a litre of salad for lunch

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

RoseofSharon:
quote:
and have finally made the "35Kg off" mark.
[Overused] Never mind packets of lard... 35 kilos is about what my 9-year-old daughter weighs. Congratulations!

I decided I had better brave the scales and see just how badly I have been overindulging, and was pleasantly surprised - despite not going to the gym and not counting the calories (and comfort eating too, mea maxima culpa) I have only put on about 4lb since I last weighed myself two months ago.

That's the good news. The bad news is that I need to lose about 28lb to get down to my healthiest weight. But I've done it before - I can do it again. I am aiming to lose it by next summer.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Originally posted by Jane R
quote:
But I've done it before - I can do it again.
Exactly so, Jane! [Overused]

I wondered whether to mention this in re Christmas - that we may all put weight back on over those few days, hopefully not too much, but it isn't the end - it just means we sigh, pull up our big girl panties*, and Get Back Down To It. Good luck, shippies all!

* or gird our loins, depending on gender preference

Mrs. S, definitely going for girding her lions!

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
is anyone else up for posting a Total Loss Figure on or about December 31st? Then we can tot them all up and be AMAZED [Big Grin]

What! Straight after Christmas? [Eek!]
I suppose it could be an additional incentive not to overindulge.
Trouble is, I don't know when I'd start totting it up.

This particular downward trend started in the spring, when I stopped eating last Christmas's leftovers and got back on the wagon with several kilos more to lose than pre-Christmas. However the original plan to eat more healthily started in August 2010, and that's where I've been taking my start weight from.

Of course, if I went back to when I went on my first 'diet', and was able to remember all my losses over the intervening fifty odd years, the total loss would probably be something like three times my current weight [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
is anyone else up for posting a Total Loss Figure on or about December 31st? Then we can tot them all up and be AMAZED [Big Grin]

What! Straight after Christmas? [Eek!]
I suppose it could be an additional incentive not to overindulge.
Trouble is, I don't know when I'd start totting it up.

This particular downward trend started in the spring, when I stopped eating last Christmas's leftovers and got back on the wagon with several kilos more to lose than pre-Christmas. However the original plan to eat more healthily started in August 2010, and that's where I've been taking my start weight from.

Of course, if I went back to when I went on my first 'diet', and was able to remember all my losses over the intervening fifty odd years, the total loss would probably be something like three times my current weight [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

I was planning on using the figures from the last 'regime', if I can phrase it like that. I can't tell you exactly when mine began, but I could tell you exactly what I weighed then and what I weigh now - that was the figure I was thinking of. And RoS, you've lost such a lot that whatever you were to regain over Christmas would be only a drop in the ocean! [Angel]

Post the overall loss now if you prefer, it's really only so we can all go 'Wow! look how much we've lost between us' (reflected glory if you like!) Isn't going to MEAN anything [Big Grin]

Mrs. S, always ready for some basking time

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me, December & dieting don't go together, - the month starts with my birthday and tends to get more & more foodie. Added to that the "I've got a lurgy" eating that usually happens (like it is now) then I try to just be careful when I can, not worry too much, and get back into the swing of weight loss in January.

Thankfully this week's weigh-in has shown I've neither gained nor lost anything over the last 3 weeks, but I wonder if all this festivity will begin to show itself in January. Ho Ho Ho.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016