homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » This is a Public Service Announcement from WW (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: This is a Public Service Announcement from WW
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christmas is coming!

Thanks to Zappa for reminding me that The Greatest Marketing Junket of the "Western" Year is only 6 months away.

Be a good scout and Be Prepared.

It's okay, don't thank me, I am just a naturally helpful sort of soul.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The nights are fair drawing in...*

*acceptable conversational opening in Scotland 22 June - 21 December. 22 December - 21 June, it's 'Where are you going for your summer holidays?'

[ 25. June 2013, 06:56: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandfather used to say "That's the nights drawing in now" on 22 June and it annoyed everyone, particularly my father (his son). Two nights ago, Dad announced "That's the nights drawing in now."

Please shoot me if I ever say that in June.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You'll be okay from next Monday then?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So why do some people in the southern hemisphere celebrate "Christmas in July" instead of "Christmas in June" (i.e. today)?

That puzzles me.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I remember, on the 24th or 25th of each month, I'll remind someone in my circle, "Only n shopping months until Christmas. Particularly annoying in January. Yeah, I'm that guy.

But I do so hate seeing the days get shorter after the summer solstice. It's like I told my wife, I could take the cold, I just don't like the dark. A body can't do anything much outside after work.

Anyway, thanks for the PSA, WW.

(ETA a space... [Hot and Hormonal] )

[ 25. June 2013, 11:36: Message edited by: TomOfTarsus ]

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MSHB:
So why do some people in the southern hemisphere celebrate "Christmas in July" instead of "Christmas in June" (i.e. today)?

That puzzles me.

Because that's what we do, it's not something serious.

Practically, the end of June is a very busy time for lots of people with businesses and governments scrambling to get stuff done before the end of the financial year on June 30. In the world of education the end of June and early July is filled with end of semester exams and reporting.

If there's to be a random party just for fun, it may as well be in July rather than June.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now every day is a shopping day before Christmas. My mother in law stocks on cards, wrapping paper etc in the Boxing Day Sales and keeps a mail merge data base for the card list. Your card will arrive on the 1st December with a printed address label.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Along the same lines as the "nights drawing in" stuff, my Scottish grandmother used to write to us when we were on holiday, usually a few days after we got there, and her letter always included the words "well, your holiday will soon be drawing to a close". I thought she just wanted to make us miserable, but my Mum (who was her daughter-in-law and not all that fond of her) charitably said "she's struggling for something to say".
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[warning, another seriously dippy post ahead] And my darling's birthday is right in the beginning of that month to kick it off. [/done with seriously dippy post.]

I want to get an Advent calendar this year and eat chocolate out of it.

Glad I am back in my old church where they are into liturgy. Yay. [Yipee]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And down here, the sun will rise a wee bit earlier each day and set a tiny bit later – and it will still be jolly cold.
To all those brave souls who like to take a midwinter swim in June: wait till September, when the water will be much, much colder.

All those on the upside: got your bathers/togs/swimsuits out?

CHeers

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, here on the Equator... things stay pretty much the same [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the update, I guess it is time for me to ask the question of my children, "what do our grandchildren need for Christmas?" Since it is usually mail order from a catalog that has learning toys for the little angels, it makes Nana and Grandpa's life so much easier. [Overused]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My littlest God son turned up to Church on Sunday in the muscled Spiderman out-fit I gave him for last Christmas. On mothers instructions, I had bought one which was a couple of sizes too large, so that it will last till this Christmas, when one of us will buy him a bigger one.

He spent all the time he was in the service doing Spidy leaps and charging around, saving people from danger.

Proud as I am of him, even I was rather pleased when he left for his group.

His little brother came as Batman- costume also supplied by me, last Christmas.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's Ok, I won't start the Secret Santa till September - hey, might feel early but most people got their presents by Easter this year!
(Confessions - I've already got a Christmas present for a friend and have an idea for something for my young godson and his family)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Only 4 months to go!

[Two face]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Groan.

I have to move country (again) in the interim.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Shipmate
# 15431

- Posted      Profile for Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only 100 days now...

--------------------
was phil2357

Posts: 76 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

3 months today!!

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
3 months today!!

As much as you are a good friend, weasel, you can be so annoying.

Yeah, I know. You like that about yourself, how is it a problem to me?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can this thread be moved to Hell? Surely, that's where it belongs!

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
3 months today!!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All my presents are bought and in the Christmas present drawer. I shall be starting to make the wrapping paper at the weekend.

[Big Grin] [Razz] [Angel]

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There must be some way of wiping that smug grin from Boogie's face, but at the moment I can't think what it is ... [Devil]

eta: It may involve violence. [Big Grin]

[ 26. September 2013, 02:59: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
There must be some way of wiping that smug grin from Boogie's face, but at the moment I can't think what it is ...

Oh, sure there is. In the intervening months, each recipient of the gifts Boogie has purchased will take great pleasure in showing her the completely identical cool new X that they have just bought themselves (on special offer, for 40% less than what Boogie paid).
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WW, you call this a public service announcement. It would seem that at least some members of the public don't find this a service they want.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Matthew ch13 v57

[Biased]

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
WW, you call this a public service announcement. It would seem that at least some members of the public don't find this a service they want.

quote:
Matthew ch13 v57 [Biased]

I'm sure WW had a smug grin on his face when he wrote that! If he didn't have a broken wrist so we have to be nice there would have to be violence. [Devil]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pssst. Yesterday marked the two-month-out countdown for Christmas! [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Hot and Hormonal]

I knew, I thought of posting several times but never when I was at the computer.

I will do a hundred lines later.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shaddup you!

I was watching with a beady eye yesterday, but it appears that old age and infirmity have caught up with our Dearest Host

[ 27. October 2013, 01:24: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My neighbor across the street put Christmas lights around her doorway four weeks ago. [Frown]

She will put lights all over her trees and shrubs in a few weeks.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are lights up on Oxford Street already. I'm not sure if they are the proper Christmas lights as they are very subtle compared with the Marmite versions from last year.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lights are also up in Huddersfield town centre. They haven't been turned on yet. But they will be. Soon.

[ 27. October 2013, 13:08: Message edited by: balaam ]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing to report here yet, but I suspect that as soon as Hallowe'en is over there will be. There's a house round the corner from us whose windows seem to host a never-ending stream of celebratory lights: as soon as Hallowe'en is over, the Christmas ones will go up, then red ones for St. Valentine's Day, then green for St. Patrick's Day ...

Honestly. [Help]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
There are lights up on Oxford Street already. I'm not sure if they are the proper Christmas lights as they are very subtle compared with the Marmite versions from last year.

Maybe in the London of today they are for Diwali, the Hindu festival of light, which is on this coming Sunday (Nov 3). In commercial terms it is the Hindu equivalent of Christmas, i.e a time fro family gatherings and exchange of presents. It is also a public holiday here in Fiji.
[Biased]

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These lights are cream globes, lots of them, not the normal gaudy delights we're used to. I wouldn't connect Diwali with subtle and the Diwali lights would have been around Trafalgar Square, where there was a big celebration on Saturday (No tube for me so I couldn't get in).

I'm in around that area later so I can check, if Oxford Street is safe again. Currently it's closed as one of the big cranes building one of the Crossrail sites is in danger of falling.

[ 28. October 2013, 07:46: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had my cards since last year: I go to Cards for Good Causes and buy sufficient for a couple of years - ditto wrapping paper and gift tags.

Shopping : I've got a few things that caught my eye on a sale. Otherwise, I'll adopt my usual approach: give family a deadline date for suggestions, then make a list - should have it all by 20th November.

Things that I make are largely done and ready for wrapping.

It means I can spend December concentrating on the tide of Advent & Carol services (4), Christingle, plus I've got 2 Christmas Oratorios and a Messiah to fit in.

No rest for the wicked!

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
... No rest for the wicked!

No rest for the organist (wicked or otherwise) over Christmas! My better half's a cathedral organist and he professes to hate Christmas ...

I must confess I love it, but I love Advent even more - the Advent Procession is my favourite service of the whole year.

[Yipee]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Thanks to God and to the High Commission of India in Canada who promptly issued my visa, I am now spending my Christmas in India.
Freeze you northern types. I don't care much

[Yipee]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Definitely putting the decorations up on Regent Street tonight - one up as I went past and a truck with cherry picker and team to put the rest up.

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I walked down Oxford St today and the Christmas display is in Selfridge's windows.

Thurible

[duplicate post deleted - Piglet, AS Host]

[ 29. October 2013, 00:46: Message edited by: piglet ]

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
All my presents are bought and in the Christmas present drawer. I shall be starting to make the wrapping paper at the weekend.

Just noticed this! How? Why? I am in awe. I have barely noted the nights are drawing , and we need to burn Guy Fawkes in the Church field before I can even think about Santa.

[ 02. November 2013, 20:04: Message edited by: The Weeder ]

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
...Freeze you northern types. I don't care much ...

[Big Grin]

I really can't imagine Christmas in a warm climate - to this self-confessed Northern Type™ it just wouldn't be Quite Right.

Glad you'll enjoy it though. [Smile]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Weeder:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Just noticed this! How? Why? I am in awe. I have barely noted the nights are drawing , and we need to burn Guy Fawkes in the Church field before I can even think about Santa.
I have been doing this for years - because I hate shopping and especially hate Christmas shopping when it's cold, wet and the shops are heaving with steamy wet bodies.

So I Christmas shop in Spring and Summer. I keep my ears open with family and friends and my eyes open when out and about. I have a 'Christmas drawer' which steadily fills up. My nieces are both over 30 but I still buy them lots of little fun presents. My aim is always to buy nothing after the middle of October.

The wrapping paper is just a recent thing in the last three or four years. I love faffing with watercolours and this is a useful excuse to do so.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by The Weeder:
I have barely noted the nights are drawing , and we need to burn Guy Fawkes in the Church field before I can even think about Santa.

It would work better if you thought about Guy Fawkes and burnt Santa instead. [Snigger]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Bah humbug! [Big Grin]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I ordered some lovely Christmassy cards with a candle design from a charity in India my daughter visited this summer. They have e-mailed me to say that they had a big order for Diwali, so used the cards I'd ordered for that, but will make more for me, provided I don't mind waiting.

I don't mind waiting. They'll do for next Christmas even if they arrive too late for this one.

But I'm now a bit confused. Are the cards I've ordered actually Christmas cards? Or will I be sending out Diwali cards this Christmas??

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Do you live in Ambridge? It seemed to be about the same thing there.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

[Big Grin]

Not Ambridge. Though we do appear to have Linda Snell living under a different name in our congregation.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016