homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Homesickness support

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Homesickness support
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello folk,

As someone who is voluntarily and mostly happily a very long way away from home I nonetheless suffer from occasional and severe bouts of homesickness. I hate these and how crippling they can be. I also hate feeling that I can't talk about it as frankly as I'd like for fear of spoiling the 'wonderful new life' story that everyone back home keeps cooing over whenever I talk to them. I've tried with my parents a bit but they too are wonderful new lifers and I feel like I'm letting them down if I admit to struggling too much.

I started this thread in case anyone else needs it as much as I do right now.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have suffered from this, Macrina. It is awful. I'm afraid in my experience it gets worse, not better, with time. I'm suffering from it less now because I will soon be back home.

It's great that you've posted here--but you also need someone in Real Life you can talk to about it, who will understand.
Another person who is expat from the same original homeland?

(Assuming you're speaking about being in a different country from "home", and not just a distant part of the same country).

It's not healthy to be suppressing an important part of yourself and your feelings because you're afraid to spoil the "wonderful new life story."

Well, obviously, you realise that, hence posting here!

--------------------
Pondering.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
me, too. it's been miserable. in part because I've not moved some place crazy different and I lived here before long ago and so I should be happy as a damn clam.

but I'm not. and I want to go home, but I can't.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My children have intermittently done what you have done. And I was sent away to school when a teen, without contact with parents and family and home for 1-2 years at stretches. it is very hard. the best is to connect with other lonelies. To create plans with other surrogate family members. To develop routine, to be busy. To fall in love. Don't what else to say. You do indeed get used to it.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've lived two stretches of water away from home (Orkney) ever since I got married 25 years ago. The first 15 years we were in Northern Ireland, so getting home wasn't that hard, but for the last 10 we've been in Canada, so nipping home for the weekend isn't an option (we've been back at least once a year since we came here).

I have to confess that I've never been the homesick type; I might read about specific things going on at home and think, "I wish I could be there" but I just accept that I can't. We're very lucky to have made lots of great friends here, who have made sure that we feel at home, so getting on the plane to come back isn't the drag that it might be.

I know it probably sounds a bit obvious, but I've made contact on Facebook with people from home who I hadn't heard from in years; and ever since we left my dad has sent us copies of the local paper every few weeks, which keeps us up to date with what's going on.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have an ambivalent relationship with the UK - I really don't like going back there though I enjoy aspects of it when I do go; but then sometimes I am really nostalgic for it. I think nostalgia for downtown Birkenhead is properly quite a rare medical condition!

And also I know that what I am nostalgic for isn't there anyway - in 15 or 16 years UK has changed far more than my image of it has done. To put that in context I left shortly after the 1997 Labour election victory - that's a lot of changes!

I am still in close contact with a number of folks back in UK and I see various family and friends when they come and visit. Otherwise I avoid the ex-pat community like the plague!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
interesting you say that, Wodders.

my Dad left AK in 1977 or '78 (I don't remember, I was barely walking) and in his mind the place has frozen. He gets terribly nostalgic, talks us up to everyone, but the AK he remembers no longer exists. we've had the pipeline boom since then; our population has tripled since he moved here in the 60s, He remembers a Wasilla that had one stop sign and a general store - essentially, it was a stop on the railroad and a place to gas up on the highway. Now, it's a city. I have tried to tell him how much it has changed, but he won't hear me. at the same time, he won't come back to visit so somewhere within him he knows. he just refuses to admit it.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

And also I know that what I am nostalgic for isn't there anyway - in 15 or 16 years UK has changed far more than my image of it has done. To put that in context I left shortly after the 1997 Labour election victory - that's a lot of changes!

This totally resonates with me, even though it's been less time. I left just over nine years ago and going back to Britain in many ways feels like going to a new country. I don't quite speak the lingo anymore (even though I understand it fluently), I don't get the pop culture references, the wrong teams are in the Premier League, and I still don't understand oyster cards. I only go back for the people now.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
... the wrong teams are in the Premier League ...

Too right - it's not been the same since Ipswich Town was relegated ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I left the Buffalo, New York area 34 years ago and have been back only once every year or so for a few days at a time, but I am getting more and more homesick. People are shocked that someone would actually want to go back to Buffalo (known for its snowy winters), but home is home. I don't mind winter, actually, and I miss the snow, but mostly I miss my sisters and their families.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Putting up the Christmas tree today. Yes, I know it seems a bit early but Advent starts tomorrow and when you live in a country that doesn't celebrate Christmas you need to create your own feeling that Christmas is coming!

I don't often feel homesick, have been living outside the UK for more than seven years, but somehow thinking about Christmas makes me feel again the distance from my parents and wider family and from the traditions of Christmas of the rest of my life. I'd love to spend Christmas in the UK with them all again, but simply can't afford to travel more than once a year and we always go in the summer during the long school holiday. I don't know how long we will stay here, maybe another two or three years. My parents are getting older, I just hope that one day I will get to celebrate Christmas with them again and that by the time we are back in the UK it won't be too late...

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another homesicker here, though I've now been over half my life where we are now.

And yes, the place I'm homesick for no longer exists, and not just because my family got smashed to smithereens this past year. The family home is gone, my folks have basically left us kids behind geographically and otherwise and seem happy about it, and I'm too far away to try to provide some kind of alternative meeting place so at least the sibs can stick together.

And has anybody noticed that you can be homesick for two different places at once? (when I'm here, I miss there, and etc.) Meh.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I often get homesick, but I have lived where I am for over 40 years. What I get homesick for - people and places no longer exist. So I make do with what I have, and am happy.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are places I remember and people and things that went before. Some are dead and some are living. In my life I've loved them all.

I have been playing this song (Beatles - In My Life) since, I don't know, 1969 mostly in my head, mostly every 2nd or 3rd day. It is only the relationships with others and helpful meaningless/meaningful little bits that they say that make life possible and bearable.

May the little tidbits from others within our lives make it all bearable. God bless you. (I recommend tea as a helpful companion. And cookies, which are also called biscuits, preferably containing chocolate chips).

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've been here in Kenya for a whole year....and
up until now I haven't felt homesick.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only regular times when we would all be together as a family and so it was probably inevitable that I would feel it now.

But it's hard!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Macrina - I'm thinking of you a couple of hours travel south. One of the things I would feel strange about would be having Christmas in a different season.

My own homesickness at present is for the family home that I watched being built as a small child. It was the first full sized house my brother and I lived in and we were really excited about moving in and having our own bedrooms. Now it is being sold (settlement date is in 16 days time) and it's time for our goodbyes. We had a conversation today about how beautiful the wooden floors were which would have sounded weird to outsiders, but I was really glad there was someone who understood.

Huia [Tear]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes! As a Detroiter out here in California, I meet a lot of fellow Michiganians, even quite a few from the Detroit Diaspora, but I seem to be the only one who wants to go back. Others do think of Detroit/Michigan fondly, but they have a life here. I've always considered this temporary (I'm in grad school).

But on my annual visits home, and from reading news, I see so much changing in Detroit. It's mostly good news, believe it or not. But it's frustrating to me to not be able to be a part of it.

One thing I did to cope was to get a symbol of Detroit tattooed on my wrist, right where you find my pulse. You can see a photo of it by following the link in my sig that says "For Doctor Who fans" and looking at the next photo. (There are only the two so far on that site.) It's a line drawing of a statue that sits outside city hall, known as "the Spirit of Detroit." The drawing I used on my tattoo is used by the city, essentially as a logo.

People out here know that I'm almost always in a t-shirt that references Detroit in some way - t-shirts for places in Detroit, or that just say "Detroit" on them. And it's almost comical to some of them. (I actually had a bus driver laugh and say, "Really?!?" when I boarded wearing my "Detroit Snob" t-shirt! I just said, "Yes, really!" It wasn't a mean laugh, more of a surprised/bemused one.) But I do try to talk up my hometown here, where people often only hear the bad stuff about it.

People always forward stories to me about Detroit. And on more than one occasion, I've been given, as a gift, a book or two about Detroit...that I already own. But it still makes me happy. I pass the books along.

At least I'm usually able to visit home every year, so that the changes don't all come at once!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016