homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Blue Christmas (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Blue Christmas
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it's nothing compared to what some people are dealing with, but would be happy to let Christmas just pass by without marking it. Never been a great fan of it. This year I will be working Christmas eve, Christmas day and boxing day.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another one who's had a pretty rubbish year. I've always loved Christmas but this season I can't even be bothered to put up the cards let alone the tree. All those decorations hold too many memories of what is past.
Thoughts and prayers for all who struggle this time of year.
Curious

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thoughts with all having a difficult Christmas this year.

The year we were in the hostel for the homeless I cancelled Christmas, decided it was all too difficult to celebrate anything. I really empathise with the students at work who come from challenging backgrounds and who find the whole thought of Christmas difficult. They are surrounded by this wall of "Christmas is coming" and "everyone is going to have a fantastic Christmas" and know they are not. And idiots who put up Christmas decorations when they are advised it's a bad idea deserve to have the place trashed around them. Except that member of staff won't get excluded and that on their records, the kids do. And everyone else gets to rebuild the rooms afterwards.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] For Ruth, Sophs, Boogie and all those who have sadnesses in their families this Christmas.

We will be "celebrating" on our own again this year. Family, which isn't very large anyway, has had traumatic year. We are now the elderly parents and most likely to die first. [Frown]

I'll remember not to do it over Christmas! [Biased]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have had a truly terrible day this year. Just counting down the hours until it is over and I can go back to work.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christmas Day this year? Let's just say that if there's anything in reincarnation I'm coming back as an only child.

Huia

[ 25. December 2013, 18:00: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister is still on a section. She was allowed out from 8am to 8pm today. My parents just left to drive her back. I'm now feeling guilty that I didn't go with them.
Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for those who have had, and are having, a sad Christmas.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Christmas Day this year? Let's just say that if there's anything in reincarnation I'm coming back as an only child.

Huia

The problem with being an only child is that you have sole responsibility for elderly parents and there is nobody to share the burden with.

Joanna P - who is thinking of going away for Christmas next year.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another problem with being an only child is that while you don't have siblings to argue with, it doesn't necessarily mean that relationships with every other member of your family are sweetness and light. You may find yourself the sole focus of this, with nobody to turn to.

Christmas is always going to be difficult for anyone who has idealistic expectations of what the season should be like, or who gets stressed out by having to achieve this, that or the other, or who doesn't appreciate what (or who) they have, or who isn't prepared to be considerate. Loss is another factor; there are few things as awful as that first Christmas after someone has gone when you try to carry on and it just doesn't work.

My commiserations to anyone out there who is struggling with Christmas and hating it.

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sole responsibility for elderly parent is not just if you are an only child. it is also nearest child. Brother in Australia (holiday) and sister in Las Vegas (recently moved there) I get mother and a sleeping clergy wife. There must be a better way of doing this.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Survived the day relatively well. Hopefully we made it bearable for the young people I was working with. Glad to be home now to sleep!

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As my sister said: "Well, the good news is that Christmas is now as far away as it can possibly be. We've all got 364 days of respite!"

Mine went okay after some serious misgivings. I went into "management" mode. Everyone made an effort to behave themselves (having a stranger along to share the Christmas Eve dinner helped). We kept the focus on the youngest members of the family and had everyone out the door by 9pm.

The nursing home service was poignant, because for everyone there, Christmas is not an easy time.

Lighting a candle for us all: [Votive]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My father (age 93) felt ill at breakfast and was taken to the hospital. He has suffered a second heart attack and is experiencing kidney failure. He's bounced back before but at his age this may well be the end. And on Christmas day!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Amanda's Father [Votive]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Huia said. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Survived also. My father, 86 years, well we got him to play the trumpet. Probably the best part of the season. He fairly glowed. We also had 2 internet video phone calls from daughter and partner who're in London. I can't but have tears for missing them and those we've lost and will never see.

For the sick and possibly dying, and the recently dead -- thinking about our shared sorrows and joys of memories - is there a word to describe joy & sorrow at once? Take care all of you and everyone hug and talk to those you have while you have them.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
...is there a word to describe joy & sorrow at once? Take care all of you and everyone hug and talk to those you have while you have them.

A sort of melancholy really, it can be a nice feeling.

We went to an event at the temple last night and I got two spontaneous hugs, one from a boy I tutored in English for a while and one from a local Muslim lad and they certainly made me feel better.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
3 of our 4 parents have died in Advent over the last decade, including mother-in-law just a fortnight ago. This Christmas saw some tears, but also the joy of our two very young grandchildren. So, bittersweet was the feeling.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
We also had 2 internet video phone calls from daughter and partner who're in London. I can't but have tears for missing them and those we've lost and will never see.

I have never not seen my children on Christmas Day and I don't want to think about a year when it might happen. [Frown]

We are travelling today for an overnight stay to visit friends and family: my eldest brother who lives alone and takes great pleasure in not celebrating Christmas at all, and the partner of my other brother. This post-Christmas visiting.was always part of our Christmas routine, but this year is happening without the Nenlets who have their own agenda. I feel very shaky about it and can't wait to get home again - partly because of the weather (it's blowing another hooley out there) and partly because it will be bittersweet, with memories of the people we used to see on these visits: my brother who died unexpectedly two years ago and my mum who died last year, 92 and oh so ready to go but whom I'll never stop missing.

Nen - taking tissues.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mum made it through, her chest is clearing up.

This happens at round about six monthly intervals. She can't cough, so any cold just rattles and rattles and fills up with fluid.

I dread her dying, but I also dread her living any more years of this non-life in her shell of a body.

[Votive]

We did our best. She went to my brother's on Christmas day and snoozed in the corner in her wheelchair. We went to visit her yesterday and fed her her meal. The home where she now lives is small, homely, well run with friendly easy going staff. I take Tatze, my labrador, who is a great hit with the residents. I keep being asked if she's a PAT dog.

[Smile]

[ 27. December 2013, 09:09: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad she made it through Boogie. What got me through many Christmases past was thinking that 'I have done my best'. All any of us can do in these sort of circumstances. [Votive]

Now it is over and I can enjoy Christmas again.

Miss Amanda - [Votive] for you and your family.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have the privilege working in palliative care.

If you are wondering,
Do the staff really care for our deceased friend or relative, for us, or is it an act, a part of the job?

My answer is yes, we care.
We share your stories, tears and laughter. We recognise the honour of being invited into your lives at this time, being part of your story and journey.

We don't always get it as right as we would wish. And I am sorry.

Your stories shape us.
We care.
And we remember.
[Votive]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quotes file.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016