homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Petemeet April 21: Surbiton - want chili? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Petemeet April 21: Surbiton - want chili?
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I will be passing through England on my way back to Canada from India.

I plan to spend a time with relatives from April 17-to mid-afternoon on Holy Saturday. From mid-afternoon then until Monday night, I will be available in Surbiton for evening shipmeets only. Anyone who wishes may make a trek out to there, or to Chessington Tolworth, where I will be staying at the Travelodge on Ewell Road. Due to constraints of time, I have no plans to travel up to London this year.

Anyone who wishes chili powder can so indicate on this thread. If you cannot make it on one of those evenings, I will try to arrange for it to be posted to you or to a volunteer central distributor.

Over to you.

[ 16. March 2014, 03:22: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bumping before this slides to page two. Though I don't know yet if I'm around then to meet.

Does WW have excess of homegrown peppercorns? By any chance? Or just the chilli powder?

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think I may be able to arrange something - we are just about to do the harvesting.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One lot of peppercorns should surely not diminish a harvest of an entire shipload. If you cannot be in Surbiton, kindly ensure that WW has your postal details before April 15 and I shall post them off from the depths of metropolitan outback.

Any other takers on a shipmeet? Or orders for chili powder?

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm still unsure, but I hope to be able to head towards Surbiton. Either way, I'm interested in chilli. Wodders has my address.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am certainly available to visit Surbiton on the Monday evening 21st.

If you want to start a separate topic where people who know they can't meet you can ask for chilli powder, I am happy to take and post out chilli powder to anyone who wants it.

If WW and family are feeling generous, I would love to receive some pepper corns, but don't worry if it's better to stick to the chilli powder.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We'd love to have some chilli again this year. I'll pm our address to whoever is acting as distributor.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just noticed that the dates are Manundy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday so sadly I won't be able to attend. Sorry.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aren't the dates Holy Saturday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday?

I'd love to come over to meet Pete, but it's a long way over for an evening meet from where I am.

moonlitdoor, do you fancy a walk out that way on Easter Monday? That would be Monday 21st April and then go on to an evening meet?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Yes you're right. Unfortunately, I still can't do it.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I. Might be able to make it. If we're around a walk on the Bank Holiday sounds like a great idea. How about the Thames path to somewhere, followed by an evening meet?

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This time frame corresponds to when we arrive in London on 18 April per cross posted thread - didn't see this one. It's a 40 or 45 min trip from Waterloo to Alton I think, and then probably a bus or walk, depending on distance. Anyone who knows for sure could let me know. We're going to be in a family suite at King's, a perk for family of students. As it's the Easter weekend, not sure, and we just confirmed our dates and planes. But it's on the stove, as we cook up plans.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Friday, Sunday, and Monday are public holidays, so there may well be limited train and bus services. Also the railways often use that weekend to do engineering works. So check and double check any plans to travel by train.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tube maintenance means part closure of the Jubilee, District, Piccadilly and Northern Lines.

Nothing on rail lines to Surbiton according to Network Rail information currently.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Easter Monday being a public holiday seems to be the best bet for a meet. The question then arises as to whether you want a lunch-time or supper meet.

The majority vote will rule and I will ask Smudgie to reserve her local accordingly.

Please, kind piglet, or other hostly types change the title to

Petemeet April 21: Surbiton - want chili?

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Thank you for volunteering to do mail order distribution, moonlit door! I would hate to leave England bereft of chili powder!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've changed the thread title as per Pete's wishes and note that TWO packs of peppercorns are now requested. Please note that some of this pepper has been garbled by my own fair hands - I'm not sure if that makes it more valuable or just means you should wash your hands after using it.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I also am unable to make it to a meet but would love some chilli powder, which was lovely last year [Smile]
Have a safe journey home Pete.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... some of this pepper has been garbled by my own fair hands ...

You garble your own pepper? [Overused] [Confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Chilies to be purchased tomorrow. Milling will soon follow.

At this point, I have this list

Peppercorns
Yangztse
moonlit door
PeteC

Chili powder

PeteC
Spike
moonlit door
St Gladwys
Gussie
Heavenly Anarchist

--------------------

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't suppose you could bring us a few of packs of bindis that WW kindly got for us once. Alien loves them!!

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use Ł6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Must consult with the powers that be, Pants.

Petemeet (so far)

Pete
Smudgie
Gussie
moonlit door

Any other brave souls?

Must consider location.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Pants - no problem except I didn't keep your address so if you can PM it to me I will send Alien a little packet from India.

--------------------

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was trying to save on postage WW! [Biased]

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use Ł6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melangell
Shipmate
# 4023

- Posted      Profile for Melangell   Email Melangell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have possible commitment elsewhere on Easter Monday - still waiting for people to make up their minds (sigh), but if I'm free, will come to the Petemeet.

--------------------
Gwnewch y pethau bychein (Dewi Sant)
Do the little things (Saint David)

Posts: 367 | From: A bit of Wales in Surrey | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Chilies to be purchased tomorrow. Milling will soon follow.

At this point, I have this list

Peppercorns
Yangztse
moonlit door
PeteC

Chili powder

PeteC
Spike
moonlit door
St Gladwys
Gussie
Heavenly Anarchist

I would love some peppercorns if I'm not too late, if so I shall bind my time...I will have to beg someone to post it though!
Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I said higher up, I am happy to post to all who want it, if they don't mind telling me where they live. I already have St Gwladys's address.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Macarius and I would be up for an evening Petemeet in Surbiton - we'd probably come by train, so somewhere within walking distance of the station would be good.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

As for closeness to the station, I fear that I am in the hand of The Hostess with the Mostest™ Her Beatitude Smudgie I.

Perhaps others who met me in Surbiton last year could fill in detail?

--------------------

Melangell
Shipmate
# 4023

- Posted      Profile for Melangell   Email Melangell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As Her Beatitude seems to on her Lenten retreat, this may help.. If HB Smudgie has chosen The Berrylands pub (where we met last year), it is at the roundabout just a short walk uphill from Berrylands Station. Berrylands normally only has a half-hourly service from Waterloo. Trains to Surbiton are much more frequent (roughly every 10 minutes) and then the K2 bus from the stop in Claremont Road outside the Princess Alice Hospice shop runs every 10 minutes, and there is a stop called The Berrylands/Berrylands Station, just before the said roundabout. Walking from Surbiton to The Berrylands would take about 35 minutes, I think, but YMMV.

--------------------
Gwnewch y pethau bychein (Dewi Sant)
Do the little things (Saint David)

Posts: 367 | From: A bit of Wales in Surrey | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, will have a think about how best to do this.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

me for Petemeet - still would be up for a walk beforehand

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy to meet anywhere in the Surbiton area, and quite fancy a walk before hand - any ideas as to where?

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Chili powder requests are now closed.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Petemeet attendees
  • Pete
  • Smudgie and the Boy
  • moonlit door
  • Melangell
  • M and Macarius
  • Gussie
  • Curiosity killed

Anyone else?

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Black pepper requests are now closed as well.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy to pick up folks from Surbiton Station and transport to Berrylands... just PM me your mobile number if you'd rather do that than catch the Berrylands train.

Do we have a meet-up time for the pub?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Open to suggestions, Your Beatitude.

Does 1830/1900 work for everyone?

--------------------

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr. C and I might make it. We're off on Pilgrimage to the Holy Land on Monday for 10 days I will confirm when we get back.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

After some consultation with Gussie, we're wondering about a section of the London Loop from Ewell to Surbiton reckoning we won't be doing much of the tedious bit as we'll divert to the Berrylands pub. The full walk is 7.5 miles, but it looks as if we're not doing the last mile or so. That probably means 6 miles, which I'd say should take us around 3 hours to walk as a group.

This walk entertains me as it walks the Hogsmill.

The walk starts in Ewell, nearest station Ewell West - overground from Waterloo, I guess lunchtime / early afternoon if we're meeting at the pub at 6:30pm / 7:00pm. The section of the London Loop before this goes through the Nonsuch Park, site of the Nonsuch Palace

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I've just looked up getting there by pupblic transport. The nearest station is Ewell West (from Waterloo), though Ewell East (from Victoria via Clapham Junction) isn't too far away, and there appear to be plenty of buses too.

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

I'll give the walk a miss as I am only free from mid afternoon and it's a lot more difficult for me to get to Ewell than it is to Surbiton.

I hope that pub has sorted out its food since last year. Everything I asked for was off. Maybe I'll eat before setting out.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I remember I had the nachos and made the mistake of saying yes when asked if I wanted chili. I was thinking chili powder, the barman was thinking chili con carne.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the Monday. I begin my outward journey tomorrow evening.

Until then!

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello. I can't do Monday but could swing by for pepper collection, shipmate greeting, Smudglet hugging and generally embarrassing on Saturday afternoon. Any good?

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds rather lovely! There is a Lantern Arts performance at our church from 2.45 - 4.00 which we're hoping to go to, but nothing planned beyond that for Saturday. It'd be great to see you.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I may be bringing Curious kitten - we're not sure when she goes back.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

It would be good to see her CK, I'm hoping to presuade Gussie Jnr to mooch along.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope y'all have a good time. [Smile]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Hello. I can't do Monday but could swing by for pepper collection, shipmate greeting, Smudglet hugging and generally embarrassing on Saturday afternoon. Any good?

Embarrass him for me, too, Yangtze - I doubt I'll be over to do it myself any time soon and we need to keep him edgy.

[...mind you having Pingu for a mum must be embarrassing enough! [Biased] ]

[ 17. April 2014, 13:25: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016