homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Father, Son, and Holy Scriptures (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Father, Son, and Holy Scriptures
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy to be a lying fundie in this regard still.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
pydseybare

Most of N T Wright's books and articles are based firmly in the New Testament. But I have found a most interesting quote from a 2005 lecture which suggests he is hardly all that happy with a rationalised view of the conquest of Canaan.

Here is the link

And here is the quote

quote:
The Exodus gives the major paradigmatic Jewish answer to the question, what is God doing with evil? Evil comes here in the shape of the wicked powerful empire oppressing the enslaved Israelites. But when the people are freed, they behave themselves in a thoroughly pagan manner, as they continue to do in the deeply ambiguous entry into the Land, in the period of the Judges, and then in the monarchy.
I'm not sure how he sees the historicity of these events. (There is some discussion of that in mousethief's Dead Horses thread.) But I suspect he is not too bothered about that. From memory, I think N T Wright is big on scripture being understood, first and foremost, as story. We need to let the stories speak to us first. If we find them disgusting in the world today, that may be a very good thing. Maybe we're right to be disgusted?

I remember a study group I attended where the speaker observed that the first 50 chapters of the bible might be regarded as case studies of dysfunctional families. We laughed of course, then said "Hmmn".

That's the thing about stories; they get under your skin. Whereas lists of precepts and ordinances mostly get up our noses.

Best I can do with what's easily available online.

[ 28. February 2014, 17:36: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:
Good grief Leo, do you really believe that? I mean. Really? Because if you do then you should do the decent thing and get out of the pulpit.

Given that most theologians have thought thus for nearly a century...
Ooooh, a WHOLE CENTURY? Jaysoos, that's practically apostolic!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leo, let me get this straight. Are you, personally, denying the deity of Christ? Because if so, damn.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
quote:
Good grief Leo, do you really believe that? I mean. Really? Because if you do then you should do the decent thing and get out of the pulpit.

Given that most theologians have thought thus for nearly a century...
Ooooh, a WHOLE CENTURY? Jaysoos, that's practically apostolic!
It is only just a little bit over a century that 'higher criticism' began - so it was established very early on re- 4th gospel.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Leo, let me get this straight. Are you, personally, denying the deity of Christ? Because if so, damn.

Not at all - merely pointing out that nowhere in the synoptics does he claim divinity - God reveals in the subtle, the indirect. See for example Philippians where he does not 'cling to' equality with God.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pydseybare:
Show me a Rabbinical school that holds an unorthodox dead teacher, who claimed to be divine, to be authoritative. It doesn't exist.

Jesus never claimed to be divine. Indeed, he pushed such claims away.

Except in the 4th gospel, which most scholars believe as NOT containing the original words of Jesus.

Given that most theologians have thought thus for nearly a century, then anyone with a smattering of theology would leave their pulpits and there will hardly be any preachers left except liars and fundamentalists.
Only liars and fundamentalists believe that Jesus, both directly and indirectly, claimed to be God and that the scriptures accurately testify to that claim? O Kaaay.
Theologians are the leading thinkers of the church. Fundamentalists are only one small part of the church.

I am astonished that people think the the 4th gospel contains the literal, real words of Jesus. If they did, how does one account for him speaking in very long passages whereas the synoptics have short bursts and stories? There is almost nothing in John that is said in the synoptics - were there two different Jesuses?

This was all standard stuff back when I did A'level nearly 50 years ago.

Why do people deny the insights of biblical scholarship and not trust experts? It would be a very different story in terms of medical experts.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny, I see Him doing it everywhere. Disposition is ALL here. I started to learn that long ago here walking around the legs of the giants.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Funny, I see Him doing it everywhere. Disposition is ALL here. I started to learn that long ago here walking around the legs of the giants.

Well said.

Before I came here I never knew that theologians were so skeptical about John.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Freddy. You annoy the hell out of me. Particularly how you're able to totally disarm me from your position on Ceti Alpha 6 to my being on Gallifrey.

--------------------
Love wins

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ceta Alpha 6 exploded. [Confused]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

And Gallifrey? ...

--------------------
Love wins

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Not at all - merely pointing out that nowhere in the synoptics does he claim divinity - God reveals in the subtle, the indirect. See for example Philippians where he does not 'cling to' equality with God.
Leo, how do you deal with (to cite one example) this, from Matthew 23?

quote:
34 Therefore I send you prophets and wise men and scribes, some of whom you will kill and crucify, and some you will flog in your synagogues and persecute from town to town...
Jesus is claiming to the be the one who sends prophets etc. into the world. Can't get much clearer a claim to deity, unless you hold out for "I am God. Worship me!"

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:

I am astonished that people think the the 4th gospel contains the literal, real words of Jesus. If they did, how does one account for him speaking in very long passages whereas the synoptics have short bursts and stories? There is almost nothing in John that is said in the synoptics - were there two different Jesuses?

This was all standard stuff back when I did A'level nearly 50 years ago.

Why do people deny the insights of biblical scholarship and not trust experts? It would be a very different story in terms of medical experts.

You continue to astonish me. Leo, I did my graduate work in the field of texts, among the "experts," and I can tell you that this is one bubble long overdue to be popped. (Go do the work yourself, if you find this incredible.)

Why does John look and sound so very different from the synoptics? Easy--because he had a different purpose in writing. Why repeat what everybody knows already? Particularly when you are writing umpty years later, and the first three books have circulated?

As for the difference in the utterances of Jesus (short vs. long, pithy vs theological discourses), it's a rare human being that confines himelf solely to one form of discourse. Each writer picked out what was germane to his purposes. You could do the same with my own published writings--a bit from Microcosmographie is going to read decidedly differently from the practical book on Vietnamese culture I wrote, and that again very differently from the children's books, or the sermons to new immigrant believers. If you were (per impossibile) trying to reconstruct my style of communication from my extant utterances, you would have a damn hard time of melding some of the higher flights of theological fancy with the equally genuine "Take a flying fuck at a doughnut, why don't you?" Indeed, I suspect you'd flatly deny one or the other as spurious.

As for trusting experts, [Killing me]

Look, I AM an expert in several fields, and any decent expert knows that his pet theories could be overturned at any moment when new evidence turns up. It keeps you humble. Or should.

Do you not remember the widespread medical theory of the four humors of man, and how resistant people were to the new germ theory which overtook it? You couldn't get the freakin' experts in the medical field to even wash their hands--or their instruments--so wedded were they to the idea that what mattered was balancing the (non-existent) "humors" in the human body. And so they went about blithely infecting and reinfecting their patients, causing untold number of deaths, in the name of medical expertise. Now there's a cautionary tale about trusting experts if I ever saw one.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Yes - a different purpose in writing - a meditation/sermon of the significance of Jesus.

Matthew, Mark and Luke had different audiences and different aims but their words of Jesus are substantially the same.

This is all in the realms of redaction criticism and no redactors posit that John's words are Jesus's.

Why has scholarship not gone back to the notion that they are? The only seismic change in recent years )say the last 30) is John Robinson's Redating which posits a date some 30 years earlier than the accepted view and goes so far as to reckon John the belive discip0le wrote it. But he doesn't suggest the words of Jesus are 'authentic'.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

21st-century Medical experts' opinions are usually based on reproducible medical research. Biblical scholarship is based on a bunch of assumptions that I may not share.

I don't understand how people can trust the early church to accurately record Jesus' thinkings and doings when they're reading the synoptics, then turn around and say the very same people made it all up when looking at John's gospel.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:

quote:
34 Therefore I send you prophets and wise men and scribes, some of whom you will kill and crucify, and some you will flog in your synagogues and persecute from town to town...
Jesus is claiming to the be the one who sends prophets etc. into the world. Can't get much clearer a claim to deity, unless you hold out for "I am God. Worship me!"
And how do deal with the fact that Jesus says, instead? also? that this the 'Wisdom of God' speaking, not he himself?

More to the point, even the Vatican's Pontifical Biblical Commission accepts that the dialogue between Jesus and the pharisees reflects a later stage of hostility between the church as it moved away from being a Jewish sect and Judaism, post 70 CE, post-temple and reinventing itself.

As does this article which sees Matthew as editing material and making it relevant to the later situation.

[ 01. March 2014, 16:01: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
quote:

quote:
And how do deal with the fact that Jesus says, instead? also? that this the 'Wisdom of God' speaking, not he himself?

More to the point, even the Vatican's Pontifical Biblical Commission accepts that the dialogue between Jesus and the pharisees reflects a later stage of hostility between the church as it moved away from being a Jewish sect and Judaism, post 70 CE, post-temple and reinventing itself.

As does this article which sees Matthew as editing material and making it relevant to the later situation.

Easy enough. Christ IS the wisdom of God, as 1 Corinthians 1 and a bunch of other places makes clear. No surprise that Matthew phrased it "I".

And you're going back to citing "experts" again. Why should I accept a Vatican commission's opinion on the matter? The text is right there, you can look up the manuscripts and any variants in the apparatus to Nestle-Aland, and theorizing about "the church reworking ... to reflect later situations..." is just that, mere theorizing--in a vacuum. There is no actual evidence of any such thing happening. Show it to me in the manuscripts.

[mended broken code]

[ 01. March 2014, 16:02: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting thread. At some point in the last century the Holy Spirit told some over privileged boffins that the scriptures do not in fact testify to the divinity of Jesus of Nazareth and even if they did, it wouldn't matter because scripture - and especially anything in the NT - isn't God-breathed and should therefore be understood as the product of liars with hidden agendas.

With friends like these who needs enemies? [Disappointed]

[ 01. March 2014, 16:16: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Why should I accept a Vatican commission's opinion on the matter? The text is right there, you can look up the manuscripts and any variants in the apparatus to Nestle-Aland, and theorizing about "the church reworking ... to reflect later situations..." is just that, mere theorizing--in a vacuum. There is no actual evidence of any such thing happening. Show it to me in the manuscripts.

[mended broken code]

Lots of evidence in the way the texts have been redacted and in the anachronistic details.

As for the Vatican, it is the Church - then church which wrote the Bible and authorised the canon of scripture.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Interesting thread. At some point in the last century the Holy Spirit told some over privileged boffins that the scriptures do not in fact testify to the divinity of Jesus of Nazareth and even if they did, it wouldn't matter because scripture - and especially anything in the NT - isn't God-breathed and should therefore be understood as the product of liars with hidden agendas.

Does the Holy Spirit not work through our brains?

Is any new knowledge a threat to the God who gave us brains?

Do you distrust and not use modern dentistry?

And - I didn't deny the divinity of the Christ. I merely pointed out that Jesus did not claim it of himself but was reticent - messianic secret and all that.

It took the Church centuries to develop its/her Christology - no surprise because that is the way God deals with us - cf. 40 years wilderness wandering post-Exodus.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

quote:

It seems to me you're claiming that the Gospel of John contains long discourses that are not characteristic of the teaching of Jesus, and therefore are the result of theologising by the early Church (or, at least, the community associated with the authoring of the 4th Gospel).

And, you're also here claiming that sections of the Synoptics that (for example) appear to put claims of divinity in the mouth of Jesus are also the result of the Church re-inventing itself.

Which seems to come down to a claim that we don't know for certain if we have any of the words of Jesus recorded for us. Which is a consistent position, though certainly not one without controversy. Is that, indeed, your position?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Steve Langton

I think that we mean different things by the words "doctrine" and "tradition" which means that we are talking somewhat at cross purposes. Also you don't really take on board the problems of success.
quote:
When that occurs…’ – not too likely while we stick to our core ideas, of course. More likely, I guess, in a democratic society – but then Anabaptists wouldn’t be trying to impose our Christian beliefs as such, rather we’d be supporting the freedom of others to disagree with us. Remember that ‘being the largest and most influential’ is partly the artificial effect of those careerists and others, and also of the assumption of a ‘Christian country’ and of being a nominal Christian as a result.
If you start from the assumption that Anabaptists believe pretty much what the primitive Church believed then, presumably the members of that Church thought they would be unlikely to become a majority for the same reasons that you do. Nonetheless they took seriously the project of being the leaven that leavens the whole. The problem though is that once they succeeded beyond a certain point then their membership necessarily consisted of people with quite different amounts of leaven within them.

Some became Church members because it was expected of them by parents or neighbours. Some originally enthusiastic for the faith became beguiled subsequently by the world but could see no reason to leave the fold as an insurance against hell and because the network of believers was helpful to their business or political projects. Some joined the Church because their patrons or others high in the State were Church members and it would help them to conform to patronal beliefs and so on. Such a process is insidious but unavoidable unless you artificially keep recruitment below a critical level and even then you still have the problem of children talking on nominal membership of something that doesn't really interest them out of a filial desire not to upset their parents or reduce their chances of marrying the boy/girl next door. Essentially the difference between a Church and a sect is that the former has a universality which is both a strength and a potential source of weakness.

quote:
essentially the new post-Theodosius arrangement (it wasn’t just Constantine, Gamaliel) made everybody in the Empire nominally Christian; which surely is a significant change OF DOCTRINE compared to the NT DOCTRINE of spiritual rebirth through faith.
By doctrine I understand those articles of the faith which believers must accept or at least not oppose unless they wish to put their hopes of salvation at great risk. All of these doctrines were revealed to the Church explicitly or implicitly by the Apostles and no revelation subsequent to the time of the Apostle John is either public or universally binding. Having a big membership is not a Church doctrine. To be a full member of the Catholic Church in normal terms (emergencies allow for exceptions) requires Baptism, Communion and Confirmation accompanied by catechisation, recourse to the Sacrament of Reconciliation at least once a year and attendance at Sunday Mass whenever possible. These are minimal requirements. One can only receive Communion or Absolution validly if one approaches them in the right spirit otherwise one commits a grave sin a point which should be made abundantly clear during the catechisation process. Therefore the nominal outward requirements require to be accompanied by an inward personal relationship with God through Jesus.

These requirements though laid out more systematically perhaps than would have been possible during the early years of the Church are not in any essential way different from the practice and faith of that Church and therefore represent a degree of continuity and do not represent a change of doctrine.

quote:
The doctrines about Church/State relations are a major non-essential in themselves, and there are other doctrines which may not be ‘about’ church and state but appear to have grown from the ‘mindset’ that goes with that dubious link
I am not clear what 'doctrines' you have in mind. The Church does not teach as an article of faith that this or that form of State is objectively superior to every other or that any particular form of Church/State relationship is immutably decreed by God. In each different era it seeks to issue guidance as to what the best available options for Christians are based on Gospel principles and the current facts on the ground. Such guidance does not form part of the Deposit of Faith and is not and does not claim to be infallible and will vary as the circumstances vary.

quote:
including much of the position of the papacy.
The role of the Apostolic See in relation to being the guarantor of the Truths of the Faith is the same now as it always has been since the time of St Peter. Or, if you doubt that, at any rate the role ascribed to it by the Latin Church was the same after the time of Constantine as it had been before. So much for its spiritual position. The temporal position of the Papacy and the amount of actual material and monarchic power concentrated in its hands has waxed and waned over the centuries and not always to the benefit of the flock. Like the episodic guidance of the Church mentioned above though this, big and visible as it is, is not the key thing about the Papacy. That role as the final depository and judge on the contents of the revelation of God handed on to us by the Apostles is as it was and as it will be until the end of time.

quote:
that the ‘Constantinian’ or ‘Christendom’ churches, precisely by being that kind of church, are outside the original Christian tradition, and so can’t meaningfully claim to be guardians of that Tradition
I'm not clear what you mean by Tradition. What I mean by it is not primarily "stuff that the Church does because it is stuff that the Church does." To me it means the full content of that revelation passed on to the Church by the Apostles all of which is incorporated in the Magisterium of the Church and in her Sacraments. The Scriptures form part of the Magisterium. Which means that the Magisterium is not deduced from the Scriptures although it is conformable to them. The Magisterium contains in full what the Scriptures contain in part.

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
quote:

quote:

It seems to me you're claiming that the Gospel of John contains long discourses that are not characteristic of the teaching of Jesus, and therefore are the result of theologising by the early Church (or, at least, the community associated with the authoring of the 4th Gospel).

And, you're also here claiming that sections of the Synoptics that (for example) appear to put claims of divinity in the mouth of Jesus are also the result of the Church re-inventing itself.

Which seems to come down to a claim that we don't know for certain if we have any of the words of Jesus recorded for us. Which is a consistent position, though certainly not one without controversy. Is that, indeed, your position?

One of the best tests is to translate the Greek back into Aramaic. When you do that with the synoptic, you get:

1) stuff that has a rhythm and rhyme - just like the rabbis taught

2) stuff that goes against later teachings but which they couldn't remove since the oral tradition was so strong.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:

Another thing about 'boffins' - the eary fathers knew and preached about different genres. Augustine spoke of a hierarchy of levels, of which allegory was much higher than literal.

It wasn't until Darwin and scientific thinking that everyone started to think in a true/false binary and flattened out nuances.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Leo: your argument boils down to "we know the texts were redacted, because of the way the texts were redacted" (no manuscript evidence provided here). "And besides, the RC church says so" (which is apparently an unquestionable authority, and exactly the same as the early church, therefore don't ask questions).

That ain't right.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
One of the best tests is to translate the Greek back into Aramaic. When you do that with the synoptic, you get:

1) stuff that has a rhythm and rhyme - just like the rabbis taught

2) stuff that goes against later teachings but which they couldn't remove since the oral tradition was so strong.

Leo, any idiot can introduce any amount of bias by the way he back-translates Greek into Aramaic. In fact it is impossible to produce a bias-free translation of anything, as we know to our cost when we try to do it from Greek into modern vernaculars. The Aramaic so produced may be very close to what Jesus said, or it may be a million miles away--either way, we can't verify it because we don't have any freakin' eyewitnesses alive today. All we have are the manuscripts. And the manuscripts closest to the source are all in Greek. If you want the closest thing to Jesus' own words, you're going to have to put up with the Greek instead of arguing from some fanciful reconstruction of what the Aramaic original might have been/could've been/should've been.

--------------------

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stevhep; I'm composing a longish piece on the point about tradition and its implications - should arrive tomorrow at current rate. Meanwhile a few quick responses to your current...

First, 'doctrine' = 'things taught'. The NT contains teachings on the relationship of church to state and indeed to the wider surrounding world. On the face of it that teaching, from Jesus, Peter, and Paul, shows us a church which is absolutely not a 'kingdom of this world' for Jesus, but a matter of Jesus' followers, the citizens of the kingdom of heaven, living as 'resident aliens' among unbelieving fellow-citizens. The state of affairs that later arose,from the time of Constantine onwards, and persisted for many centuries, has a church effectively ruling in the world, itself becoming a persecutor, initiating crusades against pagans, heretics and Muslims and so on. This is not the 'teaching' of the NT but contradicts it rather drastically - whether or not that teaching fits a narrow technical definition of the concept 'doctrine'. I believe such a persistent disregard of the NT - which after all the RC church itself does officially believe is the word of God - does cast doubt on the claims of the RC church to be a reliable guardian of Christian tradition.

'Having a big membership is not a church doctrine' - agreed, but this is not about size, but nature. Again, whether you want to technically call it 'doctrine' or not,the NT 'teaching' is that you join the church by being 'born again' through personal faith. From the time of Theodosius, the assumption was in effect that you got to be a Christian by being born Roman and baptised as a baby. That's a significant difference from NT 'teaching', and the RC church (and the Orthodox when the two had not yet split) went along with it.

The 'Magisterium' may be supposed to 'contain in full what the Scriptures contain in part' - but 'contain in full' is one thing, radically contradict is something else. Jesus, Peter and Paul teach one relationship of Church and World; the RC church taught and practised a very different relationship for centuries at a horrendous cost in persecution and war. I can't really ignore that....

As I said, more to come, hopefully....

Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm largely in agreement with Leo, and like him I'm surprised that more people here, evidently very familiar with theology and church practice, are not familiar with New Testament studies.

I think that 'modern' biblical study - and by modern I mean Colenso, Lightfoot, Westcott and Hort onwards, so not exactly recent - has long since made it impossible to use the Bible to proof text the divinity of Christ or as the foundation of a simple sort of authority. This thread has exposed this point in an interesting way.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Though the inability to proof text (and, I would say that's evident without recourse to modern Biblical scholarship, just on the fact that the Bible in a complex document that doesn't lend itself to a simple "plain reading" interpretation on which proof-texting largely depends) or to use the Bible as "the foundation of a simple sort of authority" do not preclude the Bible being the word of God. It just means it takes a bit of effort to hear the word of God clearly.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Though the inability to proof text (and, I would say that's evident without recourse to modern Biblical scholarship, just on the fact that the Bible in a complex document that doesn't lend itself to a simple "plain reading" interpretation on which proof-texting largely depends) or to use the Bible as "the foundation of a simple sort of authority" do not preclude the Bible being the word of God. It just means it takes a bit of effort to hear the word of God clearly.

Yes, or a more sophisticated understanding of what 'word of God' means.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

quote:
Well, in Matthew 23, Christ explicitly identifies himself as the sender of prophets, wise men and scribes. Faced with Luke 11:49, we are left with two choices: Either there is a contradiction here, or Christ Himself is ‘the Wisdom of God.’ I see no reason to assume the contradiction, and find it more plausible that Christ identified himself as the ‘Wisdom of God.’ This can be tied to the Wisdom literature of the Old Testament (including the Deuterocanonical works) and the wisdom tradition that follows from it (represented, for instance, by Philo of Alexandria). There, the Wisdom and the Logos are identified. This represents a degree of Hellenisation, or perhaps a contextualisation.

quote:

Yes, and that helps your point about John, how?

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
quote:

Yes, or a more sophisticated understanding of what 'word of God' means.
That too. But, again, a more sophisticated understanding still doesn't mean the Bible can't be described as the "word of God"

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Aye, man's, our word of God, on God, seen from the fecund gutter of evolution - where 99.9999% of mutation is deleterious - under His sun.

--------------------
Love wins

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Jimmy Dunn a lot. I haven't read it yet, but I know he has written a book, "Jesus, Paul and the Gospels" which gives the historicity of John's gospel a fresh examination. Here's a quote from one of the Amazon reviewers to whet the appetite.

quote:
Dunn sheds new light on the Gospel of John which is practically ignored as completely unhistorical by modern Jesus-questers. Dunn admits that the Gospel of John is written from a post resurrection perspective of the Spirit or Paraclete, yet it preserves unique historical information which cannot be found in the synoptic gospels. While Jesus' ministry starts after the imprisonment of John the Baptist and is mostly confined to Galilee, John's Gospel retains the memory of Jesus emerging from the circle of John the Baptist and commencing his ministry in Judea which was concurrent with and complemented John the Baptist's ministry. It reveals how Jesus had a following in and around Jerusalem who played prominent roles at the very end of Jesus' life and for the start of the earliest followers in Jerusalem.

Dunn explains how the Gospel of John has striking parallels in Jewish apocalyptic writings and shares ideas found in Merkabah mysticism. However, instead of ascending to Heaven, Jesus came down from Heaven to reveal the mysteries of God. To Johannine Jewish Christians, Jesus was the personification and incarnation of God's Wisdom. To the sages of Israel, God's Wisdom was inscripturated into the Torah.

I remember reading a C S Lewis comment, from a literary perspective, on John 13:30

quote:
As soon as Judas had taken the bread, he went out. And it was night.
He observed simply, IIRC, that this was not reflective, this was narrative; a remembrance of an account of an event.

John's gospel is very different to the synoptics and attempts to harmonise it with the narratives of the synoptics probably won't get anyone very far. But I wouldn't be surprised if its historical value has been underestimated. Dunn is good at spotting things.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by k-mann:
quote:
quote:

quote:
Well, in Matthew 23, Christ explicitly identifies himself as the sender of prophets, wise men and scribes. Faced with Luke 11:49, we are left with two choices: Either there is a contradiction here, or Christ Himself is ‘the Wisdom of God.’ I see no reason to assume the contradiction, and find it more plausible that Christ identified himself as the ‘Wisdom of God.’ This can be tied to the Wisdom literature of the Old Testament (including the Deuterocanonical works) and the wisdom tradition that follows from it (represented, for instance, by Philo of Alexandria). There, the Wisdom and the Logos are identified. This represents a degree of Hellenisation, or perhaps a contextualisation.

quote:

Yes, and that helps your point about John, how?

It was about Matthew.

--------------------

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SL; Thanks for your long effort, StevHep. I agree that people in this thread have been mixing between two separate meanings of ‘tradition’ and creating a bit of confusion. I’ll do my best to clarify….

‘Tradition’ can just mean ‘things handed down’; in this use it’s essentially neutral. Customs and habits grow up because they’re useful/comfortable/ whatever; they also sometimes outlive their usefulness or become distracting or obscuring in relation to more important things. Jesus pointed out various ‘traditions of men’ followed by the scribes and Pharisees which had ended up actually defeating the real purposes of the law in scripture they purported to defend – and thus worked against God despite their intent. Two implications of that would seem to be that Jesus regarded the original laws as ‘the word of (his Father) God’ and not as merely human tradition; and that we need to be careful how we use traditions!

At the time of the Reformation, the RC church was in something of a mess; among other things, it was clearly worrying even some of its friends. Luther had for a while been following and teaching scripture in academic surroundings, and had found a fresh approach which he in fact thought was good Catholic tradition. When the ‘indulgences’ issue arose, he wasn’t intending a massive reform; initially he thought he was protesting an abuse by the seller Tetzel, and opposing that abuse in RC terms. Then he suddenly found he was being opposed by the Pope himself, and treated as a heretic! Luther’s analysis was in two ways. First, the Church itself said the Bible was the word of God; so if he was teaching what was clearly the word of God, and the Church treated that as heresy, then something had gone wrong with the Church! Secondly, what appeared to Luther to have gone wrong was that, as with the Pharisees of Jesus’ time, a build-up of tradition had distorted the church in lots of aspects of both practical teaching and institutional organisation – right to the top.

Luther’s intention from that point was sort-of ‘restorationist’ – to strip off the parasitic growth of ‘traditions’ and restore the church to the biblical form. Unfortunately Luther and many of the other Reformers jibbed at one particular bit of restoration – they couldn’t quite give up the ‘Christendom’ idea, the link with the state.

The next century or so was somewhat chaotic; rather inevitably the new state Reformed churches fought with the Catholics, for example, and various groups reformed further than others – the English Puritans against the ‘less-reformed’ Anglicans, for one. In amongst the chaos, some groups found their way to something like the Anabaptism we now know; broadly restorationist of course, but realising that a “believer’s church” also implied separation from the state and the adult baptism that symbolised being ‘born again’ rather than merely being born in a ‘Christian’ state. This view of things led to a somewhat more radical reform.

The Reformation itself, and even more so the Anabaptist movement, was centred on a different meaning of tradition that had developed in the RC church (including in the period before the RC/Eastern Orthodox split). Not just "stuff that the Church does because it is stuff that the Church does", but the concept of a separate authoritative line of doctrine parallel to the NT and centred on the Church as an institution and eventually on the Pope as leader of the Church.

It has to be said, StevHep, that unless you have been brought up in the RC Church and take it for granted, it is far from obvious that such an extra authoritative ‘Tradition’ is actually needed alongside the (at any rate to Christians) obviously authoritative Scripture. Of course we value what other Christians have thought since NT times – tradition in the other sense; but we also accept that it is secondary and can be reviewed and changed if necessary (inter alia, that even when the Spirit guides, circumstances can change and the detail of the guidance with it). I have the ‘Complete Works’ of Menno Simons, the original ‘Mennonite’, on my shelves and much as we respect the guy, I note that the publishers have footnotes indicating where Menno may have been wrong and one quite long tract they simply admit is mistaken – Menno is not a Mennonite ‘pope’!

Again, nor is it obvious to non-Catholics where we might go for such an authoritative ‘Tradition’. The collective of the Orthodox bishops might be an option, rejecting the Roman alternative as heretical; I can’t think of any other institution that even begins to be credible in this context. ‘Protestants’ obviously don’t have a continuous alternative tradition, though there were forerunners like the Lollards, Waldensians and Hussites before the main Lutheran Reform. Anabaptists were rare before the Reformation, given that ‘re-baptising’ was a criminal offence, but equally we don’t need such an extra Tradition anyway – from our viewpoint an ‘ekklesia/assembly’ of people with a Bible is a church, albeit perhaps not fully rounded, even if they never heard of the Pope.

There is a further problem with such a Tradition – simply put, can it contradict the Scriptures? To which surely the answer is NO. Develop, yes – but contradiction would effectively invalidate the authority of the claimant to be such a source of doctrine. Even in your account it is portrayed as an apostolic tradition – you claim it completes, you don’t suggest it should contradict.

For non-Catholics the authority of the Pope is also not entirely obvious. As I understand it, it depends on ‘apostolic succession’. Now I can myself accept a kind of ‘practical’ apostolic succession whereby in the days when New Testaments were rare, you might look to ‘A who was taught by B who was taught by C who learned it from Timothy who of course was taught by Paul’ as meaning that ‘A’ might be your most reliable source of teaching. To get from that kind of practical succession (which in any case would lose reliability over time) to a situation of “Because I have been chosen as Peter’s successor as Bishop of Rome, I somehow am magically guaranteed all his authority, as have been all my predecessors and as will be all Bishops of Rome after me” is quite a leap.

If it were explicitly confirmed in the Scriptures, maybe; but the Scriptures certainly aren’t clear and straightforward, and other support for the doctrine seems to be just “I say it is so”. Or if it really could be shown that such authority for Rome really went back to the earliest days – but again, as I understand it, even in the 4th Century it was far from undisputed; I can recall reading that Augustine didn’t believe in a special papal authority, though I don’t have the reference handy.

I’m also thinking that when certain Jewish people in the NT time made much of their ancestry, they got rather dusty responses from Jesus on various occasions, and John the Baptist told them “I assure you that from these stones God can raise up children for Abraham”. “I’m the successor of Peter” doesn’t sound all that much better than “We have Abraham for our father!”

Gamaliel complains that “to single out one single apparently cataclysmic event - such as the conversion of Constantine and the adoption of Christianity as the official religion of the Roman Empire - and make that the main basis for assessing everything else seems pretty reductionist to me”.

It’s not just the single event, though, is it? It’s quite a long course of history – it took 70+ years to get from being tolerated to being compulsory – and it wasn’t just ‘apparently’ cataclysmic. Some things had already started to change before Constantine, but let’s say they suited an imperial church and were perpetuated where they might not have been, and the total changes took most of the 1000+ years before the Reformation. I’ll also mention briefly that I probably also accept much of the traditional Protestant objections to the RC Church; while realising that Vatican II also changed things a lot.

But the worst change was really cataclysmic; or don’t the Inquisition and Crusades in Jesus’ name qualify as ‘cataclysmic’ for you, Gamaliel?

Barnabas62; Quote “Frankly, it's a wonder we're here at all. There is more grace of God in that than we will ever see if we insist on looking for faults outside our own traditions”.

Kind of see what you’re getting at here. But might I point out that in this case ‘my own tradition’ was nominally Anglican by family and evangelical Protestant via Crusaders and Uni CU. By analysing the Irish Troubles I was alerted to serious faults in that, and a previously unrealised fault in the RC case, and found an alternative tradition which mostly resolved those faults. I don’t pretend the Anabaptists are fault-free (you should hear me sometimes in our local Anabaptist Network study group!); and judging by the Anabaptist literature I’m currently reading, Anabaptists are not blind to their faults anyway.

Back to Gamaliel; quote 'We're lovely and pure Anabaptists and the rest of you are compromised ...' Yes, that kind of attitude is a fault. But if that’s the worst you can offer compared to the stuff that’s resulted in the other churches from the Constantinian error, and which is still causing current problems to Jesus’ cause…? One point you might bear in mind, Gamaliel – and others – in the modern world most churches are ‘Anabaptist’ in the sense that it’s difficult in any part of Christendom to assert the old totalitarian style of ‘Christian country’. It’s just that a lot of you haven’t caught up with that reality yet and are trying to hang on to rags of the old ways even when you yourselves couldn’t stomach how it used to be.

I’ve gone a bit at length here to deal with wide-ranging stuff. I stand by my basic point; that
SL: As far as I know there is no institutional church that can claim such a tradition (that is, an authoritative extra-biblical tradition) because the only continuous INSTITUTIONS that could make such a claim, the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches, have compromised their claim to such an authority by accepting the very clearly wrong teaching involved in the post-Constantinian link with the state and the wars, crusades, inquisitions etc to which that link led, as opposed to the 'peaceable resident aliens' status of the church as taught in the NT. The institution may have been continuous; the teaching changed radically and in opposition to the original 'Biblical Tradition'. Those churches are not reliable guardians of the tradition.
________________________________________Bits and pieces; though this looks like setting a record for a Ship posting already…

StevHep; I accept your point that
“To be a full member of the Catholic Church in normal terms (emergencies allow for exceptions) requires Baptism, Communion and Confirmation accompanied by catechisation, recourse to the Sacrament of Reconciliation at least once a year and attendance at Sunday Mass whenever possible. These are minimal requirements. One can only receive Communion or Absolution validly if one approaches them in the right spirit otherwise one commits a grave sin, a point which should be made abundantly clear during the catechisation process. Therefore the nominal outward requirements require to be accompanied by an inward personal relationship with God through Jesus”.

SL; But seriously, unless there is an explicit separation of Church and State such as basically didn’t exist between Theodosius and the Anabaptists, so that there is a real option in society to NOT be even a nominal Christian, how are you going to make that work and not be just nominal?? Especially in a society where not being a Christian may end up in being persecuted by the state, possibly to the point of being burned at the stake? For Anabaptists the point is precisely that there must be such an option, that the social pressure to conform should be minimal so that church membership should be sought for reasons of faith rather than conformity. That the RCC in the past practised the totalitarian version for centuries compromises it claim to a meaningful ‘Magisterium’.

StevHep;quote; “I am not clear what 'doctrines' you have in mind. The Church does not teach as an article of faith that this or that form of State is objectively superior to every other or that any particular form of Church/State relationship is immutably decreed by God. In each different era it seeks to issue guidance as to what the best available options for Christians are based on Gospel principles and the current facts on the ground. Such guidance does not form part of the Deposit of Faith and is not and does not claim to be infallible and will vary as the circumstances vary.”

SL: Of course Anabaptists don’t teach that any particular form of state is superior to EVERY other. I guess we do have some opinions that some are fairly good and some decidedly bad – democracy generally good, Hitler and Stalin definitely bad, just for starters. And we work out whatever is going to be the best ‘modus vivendi’ with our local state.

We are not totally inflexible about the relationship of Church and State – except for one straightforward and biblical guideline; NO Christian state church, nor any special privilege for Christians above every other. So we are always first, independent of the State, and secondly, as per Romans 13 and I Peter, ‘subject to’ the state (though the nature of that will definitely need a separate posting, or this one is going to sink the Ship!).

And that is the problem for the RC Church here; somehow the RC Church did become an official State religion in a way that led to bad consequences and even now allow that Dawkins guy to get away with claiming ‘Christianity causes wars’. The RC Church allowed that for centuries and it’s unbiblical - contrary to ‘Gospel principles’; which has to be a problem for the claimed ‘Magisterium’, surely?

Gamaliel; quote “From what you've said on these boards it sounds to me that your essential 'take' on things is a Nicene one. Where did that come from? It didn't suddenly drop down from heaven in the 16th century or the 18th century or in 1972 ...”

How I got where I am has been a winding path at times. I don’t ignore ‘tradition’ and as I’ve said before many of my Christian heroes come from the Anglican or other ‘opposition’ – even the RCC. I try to end up with a reasonably consistent but not ‘dumb wooden literalist’ biblical position. I think I mostly agree with what the Nicene Creed tried to say – though when saying even the earlier Apostles’ Creed I tend to translate ‘catholic’ as ‘universal’ to avoid confusion, and I mean ‘universal’ as ‘available and suitable to all’ rather than ‘to be forced on all’. The early Christendom creeds are I think generally correct but at times inappropriately expressed in over-abstract Greek philosophical terms; and sometimes in words like the Latin ‘persona’ which have changed meaning since their first use.

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Steve Langton,

If you take a few minutes to learn to use the "quote" function, it would vastly improve the readability of your posts. At the moment it is frequently difficult for the reader to tell when you are quoting from others and when you are expressing your own ideas. If it is difficult to understand what you post, many people will not bother to try.

There is a thread in the Styx where you can practice making quotes. If you have problems, someone there will help you.

Eliab
Purgatory Host

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Steve Langton

This is a holding post. Just to let you know that I have read what you've written and hope to respond in due course. The compendium nature of your contribution suggests it might be worthwhile to pick out some separate strands and discuss those particularly, possibly in a new thread or two. God Willing I will get back to you on this.

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62;
Frankly, it's a wonder we're here at all. There is more grace of God in that than we will ever see if we insist on looking for faults outside our own traditions.

Kind of see what you’re getting at here. But might I point out that in this case ‘my own tradition’ was nominally Anglican by family and evangelical Protestant via Crusaders and Uni CU. By analysing the Irish Troubles I was alerted to serious faults in that, and a previously unrealised fault in the RC case, and found an alternative tradition which mostly resolved those faults. I don’t pretend the Anabaptists are fault-free (you should hear me sometimes in our local Anabaptist Network study group!); and judging by the Anabaptist literature I’m currently reading, Anabaptists are not blind to their faults anyway.

(Edited by B62, just to show what you can do by judicious use of "quotes" and "squared brackets")

There is a certain irony in this, since I'm an Anabaptist. One of Jim Wallis's best personal stories (another Anabaptist) concerns a decision he and his wife (the Anglican Rev Joy Carroll, the "RL model" for the vicar of Dibley) made over the baptism of their sons.

Joy wanted to have the children baptised as babies. Jim sought to win the argument by saying "We could do that ... or we could do what Jesus did". After listening to his wife for the next half hour or so, he realised it might be better if he lost!

So far as Northern Ireland is concerned, there is no sectarian answer to sectarianism. Bob Dylan asked the right question. "How many deaths will it take til they know that too many people have died?" There is no monopoly on the giving and receiving of unjust deaths in the province, nor on the affect of the legacies of hatred they have produced.

At the first (predoominantly Protestant) "Mandate" conference, they sang a variation of some of the words from "Break Dividing Walls".

"Between the black and the white
And the Orange and the Green
Those walls, they're coming down"

They are still not down yet; but some breaches have been made.

I went to a Mandate Conference a few years ago with a friend, and we stayed with a family over there. They were delightful, and very hospitable. Until ..

Somewhat naively, I mentioned hearing those words (from a CD made at that first conference) and saying that I really hoped they were a promise of a better time to come. Half an hour later, after hearing a defensive tirade (uncomfortably reminiscent of Ian Paisley), I realised there was still a long way to just yet. It was a chastening experience.

Nobody ever said that loving enemies was easy.

[ 03. March 2014, 08:19: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

Eliab, I hear you; it looks like there will now be a while before I have to deal with a really long posting from anyone else and I promise I will try to learn the quotes system before attempting more than brief responses. Sorry.

Barnabas62; quote "there is no sectarian answer to sectarianism" in NI.
I agree, not in terms of sects (Catholic or Protestant) which are trying to establish or defend the idea of a 'Christian country'and are willing, on 'Christendom' principles, to use force, even lethal force, to do so. Not to mention that the rival Christian countries threaten discrimination in society and tempt a violent response.

But offering a solution in terms of Anabaptism is not just offering another warring sect; it is critiquing both sides at the point where ironically they currently agree, but where also ironically that agreement is what leads from the disagreements to the fighting. If the Anabaptist view is accepted, you could have some pretty fierce arguments about the other issues, but Christian obedience would forbid fighting.

The more people in NI adopt Anabaptist principles, the greater the weight of opinion against the violence. Advocating Anabaptism also offers both believers and unbelievers a positive image of Christianity to set against all that violence in the name of Jesus. And sectarians who are unlikely to listen to secular or theologically liberal calls to love may have more trouble objecting to a biblical argument against their ways?

There is also a dimension outside NI; The UK's status as a 'Protestant country' affects NI, Anabaptist views can change that aspect of the conflict too.

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The more people in NI adopt Anabaptist principles, the greater the weight of opinion against the violence. Advocating Anabaptism also offers both believers and unbelievers a positive image of Christianity to set against all that violence in the name of Jesus. And sectarians who are unlikely to listen to secular or theologically liberal calls to love may have more trouble objecting to a biblical argument against their ways?

It seems to me to be an odd argument to suggest that two 'warring' communities would be better to be like something that neither accept.

It is possible that NI would be better if more people were Unitarian, Quakers, Mormons, Amish, Mennonites or Buddists.

The reality is that is highly unlikely to happen, and wishful thinking is never going to help solve the problems in any arena of conflict.

[ 03. March 2014, 11:21: Message edited by: pydseybare ]

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Aye, man's, our word of God, on God, seen from the fecund gutter of evolution - where 99.9999% of mutation is deleterious - under His sun.

Point of order MPN&SB - most mutations are neutral.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

In reply to pydseybare; well of course we won't change the reality in NI if we sit on our backsides and do and say nothing! And while most of your alternatives are peaceable, Mormons aren't, by the way.

There are many approaches to NI - Buddhism for one, 'liberal'Christianity for another, which are unlikely to even be listened to, let alone succeed, because they need the antagonists to change at the very foundations of their beliefs. The 'Anabaptist' approach is itself less likely to work on Catholics because they have that claim to authority outside the Scriptures which I've recently been arguing about with StevHep. But even changing one side's view could help considerably.

For Protestants, Anabaptism has the benefit that it takes the Bible seriously, so doesn't require them to give up their most fundamental belief. The challenge from Anabaptism also focusses on a point of agreement with their Catholic opponents, which gives it a decided 'makes you think' aspect. What other approach does that in that particular way?

If you think about it, the other things Catholics and Protestants disagree about need not lead to any physical fighting at all - just at worst a very vitriolic 'Hell' thread on Sof or equivalent. But setting up a 'Christian country' in which people of other beliefs are discriminated against and you believe it's OK to fight to establish/defend/expand such a state, you'e already in potential warfare territory. In the Crusades it was "Christians" vs Muslims, in NI it's two versions of Christianity, both wanting to be the top dog, neither wanting to be the second class citizens under the other. Yet both are in fact being unbiblical; an argument challenging them to be MORE faithful to the Bible has at least possibilities that other approaches don't have.

Anabaptism also offers a view of a better form of Christianity to those who may be put off by the NI extremists.

Overall, better than nothing, surely??

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In reply to pydseybare; well of course we won't change the reality in NI if we sit on our backsides and do and say nothing! And while most of your alternatives are peaceable, Mormons aren't, by the way.

There is all the difference in the world between saying 'this is the way' and showing it with your life, and what you've done here - which is to suggest that people in conflict would be far better (and more peaceful) if they would only just be that bit more like you and your denomination.

quote:
There are many approaches to NI - Buddhism for one, 'liberal'Christianity for another, which are unlikely to even be listened to, let alone succeed, because they need the antagonists to change at the very foundations of their beliefs. The 'Anabaptist' approach is itself less likely to work on Catholics because they have that claim to authority outside the Scriptures which I've recently been arguing about with StevHep. But even changing one side's view could help considerably.
[Roll Eyes]

Point of information: an 'anabaptist' approach is as offensive to Calvinist evangelicals as it is to Roman Catholics.

The fact is that very near to nobody is interested in the anabaptist approach to anything in the context of Northern Ireland.

quote:
For Protestants, Anabaptism has the benefit that it takes the Bible seriously, so doesn't require them to give up their most fundamental belief. The challenge from Anabaptism also focusses on a point of agreement with their Catholic opponents, which gives it a decided 'makes you think' aspect. What other approach does that in that particular way?
First, that is rubbish.

Second, I'm not in the business of providing you with alternative approaches. If anabaptist approaches are so great and work so well, get yourself to every conflict and sort them out. Go on, what are you waiting here for?

quote:
If you think about it, the other things Catholics and Protestants disagree about need not lead to any physical fighting at all - just at worst a very vitriolic 'Hell' thread on Sof or equivalent. But setting up a 'Christian country' in which people of other beliefs are discriminated against and you believe it's OK to fight to establish/defend/expand such a state, you'e already in potential warfare territory. In the Crusades it was "Christians" vs Muslims, in NI it's two versions of Christianity, both wanting to be the top dog, neither wanting to be the second class citizens under the other. Yet both are in fact being unbiblical; an argument challenging them to be MORE faithful to the Bible has at least possibilities that other approaches don't have.
In my opinion, suggesting that the differences between Roman Catholics and Protestants (of which it is arguable whether anabaptists are really Protestant anyway) are not serious is highly naive. That they don't 'need' to fight (or have verbal conflict on the issues, as if that is the same thing, which it obviously is not) is just your assertion.

quote:
Anabaptism also offers a view of a better form of Christianity to those who may be put off by the NI extremists.

Overall, better than nothing, surely??

I *hate* better than nothing arguments. In comparison to anything really horrible, any piss-poor solution is, by definition, better.

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

No time for a major reply but
I am not suggesting the differences between Catholics and Protestants are anything other than serious and important. But the 'need' for physical violence rather than non-violent (even if rough) debate arises from the 'Christendom' link with the state which both espouse - and which does happen to be unbiblical.

Oh by the way, I am basically a Calvinist evangelical - just that like many Calvinistic Baptists I think Calvin got the state/church thing wrong. For a mainstream Calvinist example look at Robert Haldane's commentary on Romans 13 published by Calvinist publishers Banner of Truth Trust.

I don't really want to intrude my views on NI too much in this thread - I just responded to a comment from Barnabas.

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:

Oh by the way, I am basically a Calvinist evangelical - just that like many Calvinistic Baptists I think Calvin got the state/church thing wrong. For a mainstream Calvinist example look at Robert Haldane's commentary on Romans 13 published by Calvinist publishers Banner of Truth Trust.

Thanks, but I don't need to be advised to read anything by Banner of Trust publishing, I have plenty of their books on my bookshelf. I wouldn't describe them as 'mainstream' anything, not even Calvinist.

And, whilst I'm not sure how far it really matters to anyone, I'm pretty sure most Reformed thinkers would react badly to the idea of anabaptist Calvinists.

--------------------

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

The 'Reformed' site you referred me to seems to be arguing against the worst of Anabaptism during the relative chaos of the Reformation rather than the modern version I know. Much of what he criticised in terms of church life turns out Anabaptist practice is not like that but much like what he advocates! And I note that like me, a Mennonite commenting on the site didn't recognise the way he was depicted. That site also doesn't seem to address the church/state issue much, so I don't know what he might think of it.

I have considered going to NI. Pro tem God doesn't seem to be leading me that way, and my concerns are far wider than NI anyway. Until led otherwise I'm putting forward Anabaptist views where I live, where such views are also needed, and via a blog and, oh yes, on forums like this.

You haven't tackled my point that it's the state link and the mindset that goes with it which creates the apparent need for warfare and violence in NI and many other situations. As I recall you also oppose the State Church/Christian country thing - but you don't seem to share that view of it; or do you? Far more important to deal with that life-and-death reality than scoring cheap points slagging me off about my Calvinism.

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:

You haven't tackled my point that it's the state link and the mindset that goes with it which creates the apparent need for warfare and violence in NI and many other situations. As I recall you also oppose the State Church/Christian country thing - but you don't seem to share that view of it; or do you? Far more important to deal with that life-and-death reality than scoring cheap points slagging me off about my Calvinism.

I don't see that has anything to do with this thread.

--------------------

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

it has to do with this thread because it's about how we use/interpret Scripture and the difference it makes in the real world.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016