homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Lent 2014 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lent 2014
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
If you want to give up something for lent, don't give up chocolate, give up gossip or envy or anger and all those wonderful things that chew up communities and families.

All of that goes without saying. It's not like people don't know gossip and envy and anger are bad and they don't hear about it the rest of the year. It's already understood and besides, in my experience, most lenten writings, homilies and mission touch on those subjects anyways.

The asceticism and the discipline is to tame the self and open yourself to God's grace. "He who is faithful in a very little is faithful also in much; and he who is dishonest in a very little is dishonest also in much", Luke 16:10. If you can't resist a piece of chocolate whose to say you'll be good at holding back your tongue?

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Number me as another one who thought of Gordissimo when I saw the title of this thread. Strange as he never really noticed me.....

Anyway, my understanding is that Lenten practice traditionally involves giving something up and taking something on. Often the taking something on has been to read a challenging book - which goes back to the Rule of Benedict in the Fifth Century.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:

The asceticism and the discipline is to tame the self and open yourself to God's grace. "He who is faithful in a very little is faithful also in much; and he who is dishonest in a very little is dishonest also in much", Luke 16:10. If you can't resist a piece of chocolate whose to say you'll be good at holding back your tongue?

Thank you for that, Pancho. I've always felt benefit form my small sacrifices at Lent but, these days, people seem to scorn my battle with sugar addiction and suggest I should work on my personality instead. As you suggest, that's an ongoing struggle that needs more than forty days.
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course all these things don't 'work' in isolation and are meant to form part of a pattern and rule of life.

Perhaps they only make real sense in that sort of context?

What does make me chuckle, though, is how some people who make a big deal about not observing these things often invent their own equivalents and special ways of doing things ...

Nothing wrong with that in and of itself, of course, but I've known people who dismiss this sort of thing as 'religious' in the perjorative sense who are just as, if not more, 'religious' in ways they don't recognise as such ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016