homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Must Jesus be "Hot"? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Must Jesus be "Hot"?
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Read this column this afternoon.

It is striking that in every crucifix or visual depiction, Jesus is either skinny or muscular. He is never overweight or fat (Because fatness was associated with wealth and Jesus was considered poor?)

Does it matter what the earthly Jesus physically looked like?

[ 27. February 2014, 20:09: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another good reason for iconoclasm, IMO.
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:

Because stealing people's pictures of Jesus then smashing or burning them will teach them not to think of the Savior as having a certain physical look?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given that so many cultures have drawn Jesus in their own image, 21st century westerners should probably picture an obese Jesus.

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus was a palestinian Jew . So he does looked like any western image of him. He'd look nore like a native Israeli, dusky but fullly like any other man around say Jerusalem. Remember he was both fully divine & fully human. [Votive]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
Given that so many cultures have drawn Jesus in their own image, 21st century westerners should probably picture an obese Jesus.

I think the aesthetic argument is that cultures have drawn Jesus and other religious figures in their idealized image.

I don't think most Italian men looked like Michelangelo's David when he carved that stature.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He certainly didn't lead a sedentary life by any account. Being fat in those days would've required being at least moderately wealthy, I'd expect.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes, and maybe we should top it off we should take a trip to Geneva and burn someone at the stake…?

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The BBC did a program on what Jesus might have looked like, shown here courtesy of rejesus.co.uk This composite is an average of the facial types of that place and time (using skull shapes as guidance)

But you can click through to a variety of other versions, all the way to Rasta Jesus. Whatever works for your group is OK, since, like Paul, Jesus was/is "all things to all men"

This one is a little less likely.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:

As is this. Rather too Brad Pitt, at least to me.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hilda of Whitby:
quote:

As is this. Rather too Brad Pitt, at least to me.
Oops, same movie as the OP mentioned!

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But you can click through to a variety of other versions, all the way to Rasta Jesus. Whatever works for your group is OK, since, like Paul, Jesus was/is "all things to all men"

I disagree. This is making God in our own image and denying the particularity of the incarnation. Jesus wasn't born a 20th century Jamaican pot-smoker or a 21st century American weightlifter. He was born a first-century Palestinian Jew. He's not a shape-changer; he's not Everyman.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Because stealing people's pictures of Jesus then smashing or burning them will teach them not to think of the Savior as having a certain physical look?
It would be interesting to know to what extent, if any, aniconic religions have succeeded in banishing mental images of their gods, prophets, etc.

I guess as a rough case study, I will say that I really don't get any clear and consistent image when someone says the name "Muhammed", the way I do when someone says "Jesus" or "the Buddha"(well, for the latter, there are a few standard images). I suppose this could be testament to the fact that Muslims have rarely portrated the guy in art, and no one from any other faith has picked up the slack.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBC:
Jesus was a palestinian Jew . So he does looked like any western image of him. He'd look nore like a native Israeli, dusky but fullly like any other man around say Jerusalem. Remember he was both fully divine & fully human. [Votive]

Jesus in most European art just looks European to me. Interestingly, though, European art has often depicted other Jews as physically distinct. The point is that artists often have more on their minds than the simple desire for physical likenesses; the 'Other' is made to look very different, while the one who has been culturally assimilated is made to look as similar to the majority as possible.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief: I'm afraid that the Pope disagrees with you:

quote:
Pope Francis in Evangelii Gaudium, speaks of inculturation:

CHAPTER THREE : THE PROCLAMATION OF THE GOSPEL [110]

116. … Through inculturation, the Church “introduces peoples, together with their cultures, into her own community”,[90] for “every culture offers positive values and forms which can enrich the way the Gospel is preached, understood and lived”. …

and here

is an index page of African art that speaks to me about Jesus as He would be understood by some of my neighbours (using that word in the largest sense!)

I am reminded that, in one of the Psalms, the speaker talks about the farmer who weeps as he sows his seeds. In our context, that seems merely weird: but in sub-Saharan Africa, it matches their experience. Because of increasing drought, no-one knows whether to sow the seeds or to use them to feed one more meal to the family, just before they all become destitute and have to move to the city to beg. Context matters.

[ 28. February 2014, 00:40: Message edited by: Horseman Bree ]

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Must fat people be ugly.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Mousethief: I'm afraid that the Pope disagrees with you:

quote:
Pope Francis in Evangelii Gaudium, speaks of inculturation:

CHAPTER THREE : THE PROCLAMATION OF THE GOSPEL [110]

116. … Through inculturation, the Church “introduces peoples, together with their cultures, into her own community”,[90] for “every culture offers positive values and forms which can enrich the way the Gospel is preached, understood and lived”. …

This says nothing at all about what I said.

--------------------

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by k-mann:
quote:

Yes, and maybe we should top it off we should take a trip to Geneva and burn someone at the stake…?
Golly, good point.

After all, smashing a piece of inanimate material, and torturing a sentient creature to death, are practically indistinguishable.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking at the OP. As well as the Brad Pitt factor, that photo is highly reminiscent of the late Andy Whitfield's "Spartacus before he got his hair cut". The post scene is even reminiscent of the training ground in the Batiatus villa.

You can almost imagine the pre-production chat. "That's the image to go for; that'll sell" If Andy Whitfield had still been been around, I wonder if they would have offered him the job? That would certainly have increased the pre-release publicity.

Madison Avenue sexy Jesus? Just part of the general confusion over the meaning of love, I guess. More a commentary on our age than anything else.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I disagree. This is making God in our own image and denying the particularity of the incarnation. Jesus wasn't born a 20th century Jamaican pot-smoker or a 21st century American weightlifter. He was born a first-century Palestinian Jew. He's not a shape-changer; he's not Everyman.
You've missed the point, as most people do (including me til I had some kind of revelation)
If Jesus had always been portrayed as a regular Jew from that region, it would be right and appropriate to say, this is a fair representation. But he wasn't, he was portrayed as a white European for a very long time. So part of underlining the okness of that - that it's ok to have a European image of Jesus- is to understand that a black Jesus, or Chinese Jesus is completely equally valid and ok.

And maybe even a female Jesus. Or a physically disabled Jesus. Or, dear God, a black woman disabled Jesus. When we have understood that white Jesus is our own image, then we can all be equally able to see who Jesus 'really' was.

[ 28. February 2014, 07:54: Message edited by: Taliesin ]

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I can objectively see that many of the actors who have played Jesus are conventionally good looking, I must admit I have never looked at an image of Jesus in church or on an icon and thought "hot." Ever.

Personally I would prefer more depictions of Jesus as Asian or African, if only to counter the "default" image of Him as a Northern European.

We also know that in some cases Jesus appeared to people but they didn't recognize Him, so He must have occasionally looked different to different people.

Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The local newspaper here suggested that the real miracle is His hair. Or should that be Hair. They also noted that it is a Jesus-Peter buddy movie, with Judas the evil villain completing the comic book. I probably will never see the movie, unless I'm home sick and so sick I can't change the channel when this comes on after Barney.

All of the Jesus movies suck don't they. They want to make us feel Jesus pain, because 'no pain, no gain', and torture and death must overshadow every little least bit of love, of kindness and every call for peace. These portrayals have invade our hopes and dreams to free up our minds so we can support killing of anyone, whether by soldier, bomb or drone.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Taliesin, you appear to be saying that 17 wrongs make a right. I'm not diggin' that.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The most credible Jesus by far for me in 50 years was by Colin Blakely in Dennis Potter's excellent 1969 Son Of Man.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Read this column this afternoon.

It is striking that in every crucifix or visual depiction, Jesus is either skinny or muscular. He is never overweight or fat (Because fatness was associated with wealth and Jesus was considered poor?)

Does it matter what the earthly Jesus physically looked like?

This is very much like the question raised in a seminary course I took a few years ago, called The Death of the Beautiful Young Man. The premise of the course is that there are "explicit and implied messages inherent in the iconography of Jesus' death." We looked at images of Jesus as hero; as soldier making the "ultimate sacrifice;" as unblemished lamb, and others.

My reaction to the image of Jesus as portrayed in this film (which I have no intention of seeing) is that it's playing into the "Manly Jesus" meme that Mark Driscoll and other American evangelicals are preaching nowadays.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
He is never overweight or fat.

Jesus would be the last person to commit the sin of gluttony, I should think.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
The most credible Jesus by far for me in 50 years was by Colin Blakely in Dennis Potter's excellent 1969 Son Of Man.

Thanks for this reference, Martin. I've found it on YouTube, along with 6 or more other plays by potter.
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

quote:
Taliesin, you appear to be saying that 17 wrongs make a right. I'm not diggin' that.

I think we may be misunderstanding each other. Maybe in your church there has only ever been icons of Jesus represented as the middle eastern Jew he was.

But in my culture, Jesus has largely been portrayed as a white man. In old pictures from my childhood he's given blue eyes and always suspiciously light brown hair.
When I went to college to undertake a teacher training course in religious studies, we were shown pictures of Jesus as an African man, and I said, well of course that's fine, as a representation, to 'own' Jesus for themselves, Etc... And then it hit me that by making Jesus a white man, western culture had 'owned' him in exactly the same way, and it has precisely the same validity, no more, no less.
Sadly, English churches are still inflicting a Jesus that looks like he's going out to bat for the Yankees on multicultural groups. Makes me furious.

[ 28. February 2014, 19:21: Message edited by: Taliesin ]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:
I think we may be misunderstanding each other.

Entirely possible.

quote:
Maybe in your church there has only ever been icons of Jesus represented as the middle eastern Jew he was.

<snip>

And then it hit me that by making Jesus a white man, western culture had 'owned' him in exactly the same way, and it has precisely the same validity, no more, no less.

But then surely the remedy is not to make a Black Jesus and an Indian Jesus and an East Asian Jesus, but rather to make a First Century Palestinian Jew Jesus?

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As for the artists making him beautiful, I suspect some of that is personal devotion. It is hard to show a person you love as less than beautiful, for the very reason that they ARE beautiful in your eyes. And in the absence of photographic evidence to keep you on the straight and narrow, well...

I actually like the multi-ethnic renderings of Jesus, the more the merrier, because they bring home to me visually that in fact we have no idea what he looks like in the flesh, and serve as a kind of warning against creating him in my own likeness, mentally speaking. He hasn't chosen to give us a definitive physical likeness we can all be sure is really his, though the technology was there to make it happen (painting, engraving, etc.) and he could have done something about the provenance problem. He didn't. Ergo, I think it's likely he's okay with a multiplicity of renderings, as long as we sit lightly to them and don't use them to bash one another over the head.

Of course, one day, all that will be left behind, forgotten, when we really do see him face to face.

And on a tangent--did anybody else get the feeling that whoever did that first century "reconstruction" of "what Jesus really looked like" was deliberately out to shock viewers? I mean, you're not going to be able to reconstruct foofy hair and ugly caveman posture/expression from a skull, no matter what you do with a skull. That has to be artist's choice. But if he showed him as a perfectly ordinary, forgettable "guy next door," that wouldn't sell many papers, would it?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I think we may be misunderstanding each other.

Entirely possible.

quote:
Maybe in your church there has only ever been icons of Jesus represented as the middle eastern Jew he was.

<snip>

And then it hit me that by making Jesus a white man, western culture had 'owned' him in exactly the same way, and it has precisely the same validity, no more, no less.

But then surely the remedy is not to make a Black Jesus and an Indian Jesus and an East Asian Jesus, but rather to make a First Century Palestinian Jew Jesus?

This isn't going to happen, though, is it? Centuries of normative European art won't disappear. Those paintings and sculptures will still be hanging in cathedrals and museums around the Western world. Many contemporary western artists and now filmmakers are still influenced by those images - and consequently, so are the Christians who have absorbed their images over generations.

We should surely all recognise that Jesus was a Middle Easterner in the flesh, yes. But to imply that people of European ancestry can continue to identify with Jesus the Everyman as a European but people of other 'races' shouldn't begin to relate to him as one of theirs simply won't do any more.

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Aright.
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
We should surely all recognise that Jesus was a Middle Easterner in the flesh, yes. But to imply that people of European ancestry can continue to identify with Jesus the Everyman as a European but people of other 'races' shouldn't begin to relate to him as one of theirs simply won't do any more.

Where did I imply that?

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

My point is, it's no good making a 'first century Palestinian Jew Jesus' unless we first of all destroy the slender-faced European Jesus. Since we're not going to do that because it would be culturally impossible we have to accept the cultural existence of 'a Black Jesus and an Indian Jesus and an East Asian Jesus'.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
My point is, it's no good making a 'first century Palestinian Jew Jesus' unless we first of all destroy the slender-faced European Jesus.

Why? On this reading you can never repair any historical innacuracies, because you can't destroy all of the inaccurate portrayals of anything. All we can do is let everybody be wrong together. Whee!

--------------------

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

I think the point is time. It is the turn of the other to say what God looks like.

There was a link on here, recently, to some mad news presenter on Fox or something, who suddenly burst out, '...people just have to accept that Jesus was a white man!' And until that sort of attitude has gone, there needs to be every possible image of Christ.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Superb Taliesin: the turn of the other.

Let the dead bury their dead.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
quote:
quote:

Golly, good point.

After all, smashing a piece of inanimate material, and torturing a sentient creature to death, are practically indistinguishable.

I guess you didn’t get my point. As we know, daronmedway is a calvinist, and thus he is part of a historical tradition were iconoclasm and heretic burning went hand in hand.

In Bergen, the city nearest were I’m from (in Norway) they had a semi-calvinist bishop in the 17th century (IIRC). He destroyed losts of art, but thankfullu he had no jurisdiction in St Mary’s Church, since this, being the Church of the German, because of the Hanseatic trade group, was under the jurisdiction of the bishop in Bremen, and thus all this art was kept for the future. Thank God!

But your sarcastic sentence is not that far from the truth. To paraphrase Heinrich Heine: “Where they have smashed art, they will end in smashing human beings.”

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always found it interesting that the Gospels never describe what Jesus looked like. That would certainly be part of a modern biography, but I don't know what the convention was 2000 hears ago. My own thought is that this is a good thing, or there would have been groups that concluded all red heads were holier than the rest of us, or that 5' 8" was the holy height, and so forth. Look at what a mess the church has made of the fact that Jesus was male, after all.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
My own thought is that this is a good thing, or there would have been groups that concluded all red heads were holier than the rest of us, or that 5' 8" was the holy height, and so forth.

Indeed. And the relentless chasing down and extermination by some people of, as it might be, people with green eyes because Jesus wasn't green-eyed.

There is a description of Jesus purportedly given by Lentulus, a Roman consul, in a letter to Tiberius, but this is likely to be a medieval forgery. It describes Jesus as being fair-haired, blue-eyed, long-haired and handsome. The prevalent Northern European image that we're familiar with today had clearly already been established by then.

[ 01. March 2014, 21:45: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Jesus was a less than average looking, non-descript, not even ugly-handsome Jewish builder. He could disappear in crowds easily. Even his own followers repeatedly couldn't recognise Him close up. He had an unmemorable, everyman, plain face and voice.

--------------------
Love wins

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
quote:
quote:

Golly, good point.

I guess you didn’t get my point. As we know, daronmedway is a calvinist, and thus he is part of a historical tradition were iconoclasm and heretic burning went hand in hand.

In Bergen, the city nearest were I’m from (in Norway) they had a semi-calvinist bishop in the 17th century (IIRC). He destroyed losts of art, but thankfullu he had no jurisdiction in St Mary’s Church, since this, being the Church of the German, because of the Hanseatic trade group, was under the jurisdiction of the bishop in Bremen, and thus all this art was kept for the future. Thank God!

But your sarcastic sentence is not that far from the truth. To paraphrase Heinrich Heine: “Where they have smashed art, they will end in smashing human beings.”

My comment was logical and ethical, not historical.

I am quite aware of connections between iconoclasm and heretic burning.

I am also aware that not all iconoclasts go in for heretic burning (eg Cromwell’s Calvinist Puritans), and that conversely, enthusiasts for holy pictures and statues, such as the RCC, can be quite keen about it.

The quote from Heine is therefore more rhetorical than historically accurate, and is not even as epigrammatic as his, “Dieu me pardonnera, c’est son métier”.

While according them neither dulia nor latreia, I am actually quite fond of icons, and have one on my wall depicting Ned Flanders with his fingers in the traditional ICXC position, which I feel no inclination to smash.

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
I've always found it interesting that the Gospels never describe what Jesus looked like. That would certainly be part of a modern biography, but I don't know what the convention was 2000 hears ago.

There are very few descriptions in the Bible of what people looked like. It is mentioned that Esau was hairy and Jacob was not, but this difference played a part in Jacob's deceiving Isaac and getting the blessing that should have been Esau's.

Offhand, I can't think of any other descriptions.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Somewhere it says he were nowt to look at. Isaiah 53:2 A bit char-evo-fundie I realise. Tough.

--------------------
Love wins

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think the point is time. It is the turn of the other to say what God looks like.

There was a link on here, recently, to some mad news presenter on Fox or something, who suddenly burst out, '...people just have to accept that Jesus was a white man!' And until that sort of attitude has gone, there needs to be every possible image of Christ.

It wasn't Jesus, it was Santa Claus. Although to some people, Jesus and Santa Claus probably ARE the same! [Devil]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooops, I was wrong. Sorry about that.
http://www.eonline.com/news/490290/fox-news-says-santa-is-white-and-so-is-jesus

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
There are very few descriptions in the Bible of what people looked like. It is mentioned that Esau was hairy and Jacob was not, but this difference played a part in Jacob's deceiving Isaac and getting the blessing that should have been Esau's.

Moo

Women in the Bible are occasionally described as being beautiful. Sometimes this was a blessing, but often it wasn't; it seems to have led to lots of unwanted, and even disastrous, attention.

I'm also reminded of Leah having 'weak eyes' (Gen. 29:17). In Jewish tradition (according to Wiki), this was a reference to her weeping constantly at her future arranged marriage to Esau. God heard her cries and she was married off to Jacob, who was the better man.

There are lots of physical descriptions in the Song of Songs, of course.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:

Moo

Women in the Bible are occasionally described as being beautiful. Sometimes this was a blessing, but often it wasn't; it seems to have led to lots of unwanted, and even disastrous, attention.

And even then, the reader is left to come up with their own ideas of what might constitute Beautiful.

Moo, thanks for bringing that up, the relative lack of physical descriptors in the Bible occurred to me, too.David was described as having "Beautiful eyes" (again, the details are left to us) and Absalom was described as having unusually long hair, and some OT version of a high-level civil servant was described as being fat, but even that only came in to accent the gruesomeness of his death.

Even with Esther-- who won a freaking beauty contest, for God's sake-- we are not given a breakdown on what constitutes beauty (although the author was kind enough to give us her beauty tips.)I'm willing to bet our current cultural insistence of a very strict definition of attractiveness would baffle ancient readers.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Mind you, the biblical writers were rarely writing about people that they themselves knew (so I understand) so perhaps it's hardly to be expected that they'd focus on precise physical details.

The woman in the Song of Songs makes some interesting points about her culture's expectations of beauty: she implies that a dark-skinned, flat chested woman like herself isn't considered conventionally beautiful, but her lover finds her appealing anyway.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The woman in the Song of Songs makes some interesting points about her culture's expectations of beauty: she implies that a dark-skinned, flat chested woman like herself isn't considered conventionally beautiful, but her lover finds her appealing anyway.

HM! Good point.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016