homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Incarnation (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Incarnation
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone understand* Incarnation? I read on the Hot Jesus thread that He was 'both fully divine and fully human'. This seems illogical unless you make the case uniquely exceptional and inexplicable, but I doubt that would have two millennia of carriage in the human imagination, so I must be missing something very obvious here. What's the deal?

* as a curious adult of moderate intelligence but theological illiteracy.

Ta.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It isn't logical or work-out-able. In fact, it is counter-intuiative and impossible.

What does it mean to believe in a creator God and then claim that he can be a man? The thing is impossible to understand - a man being quite a different thing to a creator God.

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How does that work for you? I wonder if Christians are happier to live with such paradoxes than atheists.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes, Christianity is a religion of paradox! Indeed, it can be argued that one of its strengths is in asking people to believe two mutually contradictory things.

In some ways one untruth can be ignored, but two contradictory untruths make a thing seem more believable - because why and how could you make something up that sounds mutually contradictory?

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

Well, because you have to explain your claims somehow.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Well, because you have to explain your claims somehow.

Complex ideas by their nature often sound more believable than simple ones.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

Quite.

I just find it hard to believe that billions of Christians can live with this headfuck. It's kind of crucial, if you'll forgive the usage.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:
Quite.

I just find it hard to believe that billions of Christians can live with this headfuck. It's kind of crucial, if you'll forgive the usage.

Yes, it is critical.

I think partly it is because it is both a novel and a beautiful idea - God living with us.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Does anyone understand* Incarnation?

* as a curious adult of moderate intelligence but theological illiteracy.

Ta.

I would posit the answer is no. We certainly don't understand it in the way we understand some other things.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to express the idea somehow (please forgive the double negative). I certainly think that a good deal of thought ought to go into it. The intellectual trip comes when one person's conclusion (i.e. the creedal claim) becomes another person's starting point.

Rather we need to think things through afresh and see if we end up expressing that train of thought as "fully divine and fully human" or if we can come up with something that is easier to get our heads around.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He was 'both fully divine and fully human'. This seems illogical unless you make the case uniquely exceptional and inexplicable

It's uniquely exceptional and inexplicable. That's kind of the point. Indeed the words used are a human attempt to grasp something that transcends humanity; hence the problem.

It's only a problem if you think you have to fully understand something to make it true, though.

quote:
Originally posted by pydseybare:
Complex ideas by their nature often sound more believable than simple ones.

This is true, but is no standard by which to judge their truth. Or, as I posted not so long ago on another thread, are you advocating a return to describing everything in terms of fire, air, earth and water? Or Yorick, to performing diagnoses on the basis of "humours"?

[ 28. February 2014, 09:21: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
This is true, but is no standard by which to judge their truth. Or, as I posted not so long ago on another thread, are you advocating a return to describing everything in terms of fire, air, earth and water? Or Yorick, to performing diagnoses on the basis of "humours"?

Agreed. I believe in the incarnation, but as I've said a lot recently, not because it is logical. I think it requires a leap of faith.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scott Atran, the anthropologist, argues that most religions have counter-intuitive ideas in them, because humans are attracted to that, but they must not be too counter-intuitive.

Thus a bird god is fine, as it is reasonably counter-intuitive, but a Venusian bird god which was created just before the Big Bang, and eats people for breakfast, might be too much.

So the incarnation is probably counter-intuitive enough to satisfy people?

Another interesting point by Atran is that religion should be reasonably costly, but not too costly. In other words, it should hurt you to an extent, but not to a ridiculous degree.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yorick: I read on the Hot Jesus thread that He was 'both fully divine and fully human'. This seems illogical
What's illogical about that? Can't people be two things at the same time?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

So, Eutychus, would it be fair to say that you 'live with' the paradox by dismissing it? I would guess that most Christians have a reasonably functioning reconciliation of this paradox in their hearts, since this sort of dirt tends to make its way out again from under the carpet. If so, how do you do it? What mental framework scaffolds the illogic on a day-to-day basis?

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
What's illogical about that? Can't people be two things at the same time?

Well, let's list a few characteristics we know about the deity: knowing all things, being all places at the same time, being outside of time...

Now explain how someone can be man (rather than superman) and retain those characteristics.

It is obviously something that requires interpretation because at first glance they're mutually contradictory.

[ 28. February 2014, 09:28: Message edited by: pydseybare ]

--------------------

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:
So, Eutychus, would it be fair to say that you 'live with' the paradox by dismissing it? I would guess that most Christians have a reasonably functioning reconciliation of this paradox in their hearts, since this sort of dirt tends to make its way out again from under the carpet. If so, how do you do it? What mental framework scaffolds the illogic on a day-to-day basis?

Well from my point of view, I rationalise to some extent by saying that Jesus Christ has something of the essence of the deity, so to some extent retained the 'character' of the deity whilst at the same time giving up the obvious usual characteristics of the creator God.

On a day-to-day basis, I think it mostly means that I understand what the Creator God is like by looking at Jesus Christ. The latter is easier to understand than the former.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
pydseybare: Well, let's list a few characteristics we know about the deity: knowing all things, being all places at the same time, being outside of time...

Now explain how someone can be man (rather than superman) and retain those characteristics.

Simple. God knows all, is everywhere and is outside of time. He creates a part of Himself that has all these abilities, but voluntarily puts them on hold for a while. However, all the experiences this part of Him has are shared within the all-knowing, everywhere-being, outside-of-time God.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So, Eutychus, would it be fair to say that you 'live with' the paradox by dismissing it?

What do you mean by "dismiss"?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Simple. God knows all, is everywhere and is outside of time. He creates a part of Himself that has all these abilities, but voluntarily puts them on hold for a while. However, all the experiences this part of Him has are shared within the all-knowing, everywhere-being, outside-of-time God.

OK, so explain how this 'part of himself' is fully human. In the sense that the rest of us are.

How is one fully human if one had access to godly powers that everyone else does not have? Is that not a avatar rather than a fully human person?

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
How is one fully human if one had access to godly powers that everyone else does not have? Is that not a avatar rather than a fully human person?

That is a subdivision of this debate and relates to the doctrine (or discussion) of kenosis.

[ 28. February 2014, 09:55: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

True, I'm just trying to illustrate that the 'fully God, fully human' thing is not 'simple'. It just isn't.

--------------------

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, let's list a few characteristics we know about the deity: knowing all things, being all places at the same time, being outside of time...

I could make the same point about, say, Barack Obama being both black and white. These terms refer to both ethnic heritage and physical appearance. Even though the US Census would consider Obama white (they define it as "having European ancestry) AND black, he is almost universally viewed as being black because of the way he looks. "White" has an inherently flawed definition, because it is tying physical appearance (light skin) to ethnic background, in a world where lots of people with European heritage don't have light skin thanks to racial mixing.

So one could say, it's actually impossible to be black AND white, even though you can say you are to the government - but that's just an issue of the language used to describe race, rather than it being an issue of what people actually are.

I don't know that Jesus being fully human, fully divine is any different. It's probably the wrong way to correctly describe His nature, but it's the best that we can manage. The limitations of our language on this, shouldn't be the arbiter of whether the thing it is attempting to describe is true or not.

Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

Exactly my point: we have a limitation of human language and understanding.

If I thought it was not true, I wouldn't believe it - but the fact that I believe it does not make the idea 'simple'.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
quote:
So, Eutychus, would it be fair to say that you 'live with' the paradox by dismissing it?

What do you mean by "dismiss"?
Yorick, to put it another way: do you 'live with' the paradox that electricity can be described both as a waveform and as a stream of particles by dismissing it?

Or do you simply not believe in electricity because it has some paradoxical aspects?

[ 28. February 2014, 10:02: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
pydseybare: Is that not a avatar rather than a fully human person?
It depends what you mean by 'avatar'. I'm sure that it us nothing like us moving a puppet around on a computer screen like we did in Church of Fools, or even like what happened in the film Avatar. An almighty God could easily create a part of Him that is fully human without the restrictions these imperfect connections have.

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am reasonably intelligent (if you measure such things by having a good degree from an excellent university).
I'm also someone who likes things to make as much sense as possible but....
The Incarnation just won't submit itself to my preferences and occasionally that makes me really frustrated, so I think I understand part of what you are getting at, Yorick.

With fifty plus years of the Christian faith already lived (blimey I'm old!), I have to say that the Incarnation has been central to my continuing to walk that path, meditating on it, wrestling with it, feeling I have experienced it then feeling it slip away, only to return again, especially in the Eucharist. The God/ Man of Galilee draws me back again and again.

I know that sounds beyond the realms of logic and will probably frustrate and annoy some people, it does that to me too...butI have found the Incarnation to be a beautiful, powerful and transformative (is that a real word?!)mystery which cannot be grasped with just the mind.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How does that work for you? I wonder if Christians are happier to live with such paradoxes than atheists.

To me it's the blind-men-feeling-an-elephant scenario. Is it long and stringy or big and flappy? Neither. The two seemingly irreconcilable positions are close-ups of a much bigger picture into which they both fit. I may spend a lifetime trying to get the whole picture and I never will, but bit by bit along the way I may hopefully come to understand God a bit more.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

quote:
Yorick, to put it another way: do you 'live with' the paradox that electricity can be described both as a waveform and as a stream of particles by dismissing it?

Or do you simply not believe in electricity because it has some paradoxical aspects?

Good analogy. Practically, I suppose I live with that paradox of electricity on this sort of basis- it's invisible, it makes my toaster work, and it hurts if you lick it. On a day to day basis, therefore, I tend to dismiss any scientific theoretical paradox because it doesn't really matter to me (and I would trust scientists to seek to resolve for truth any logical impossibility with the rigour of their method). Is that how it works with the Incarnation and theology? I rather thought it should matter to you.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yorick

Another point is that humans are basically irrational beings, and their rationality is therefore highly prized. But their irrationality is very important, (reason is the slave of the passions, and so on), and has to be fed up by various means, such as art, music, literature, and so on. And I think religion also, which has a kind of rational aspect to it, but also enshrines the irrational, or trans-rational, as people say today!

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
I tend to dismiss any scientific theoretical paradox because it doesn't really matter to me (and I would trust scientists to seek to resolve for truth any logical impossibility with the rigour of their method). Is that how it works with the Incarnation and theology? I rather thought it should matter to you.

I still dispute your use of the word "dismiss" and and am not sure about "it doesn't matter to me".

Where the analogy to electricity is similar is that how the incarnation works is not important to me on a daily basis*. Where it differs is that I don't expect theologians to end up managing to tie down the incarnation in the way you seem to expect scientists to resolve the paradoxical nature of electricity.

Besides, the incarnation matters in terms of its theological import, which stands irrespective of whether it can be adequately explained in human terms.

*The doctrine of kenosis, i.e. the extent to which "Christ emptied himself" does have more significant knock-on effects in terms of believers' expectations of what they could and should be doing: see attempts to walk on water and through walls à la Bethel. But as I've said before, that's a subtopic.

[ 28. February 2014, 11:37: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
(reason is the slave of the passions, and so on),

He is misquoting Plato's tripartate theory of the soul there, in case anyone wants a reference.

[ 28. February 2014, 12:28: Message edited by: pydseybare ]

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Mrs Beaky.

A fundamental point about God is that he isn't just bigger than we are. He's much bigger. Therefore, we cannot fully comprehend (in its classic meaning of grasp, get one's hands round) either him or all that he is. So any version of the statement, 'I don't understand the incarnation, or how Christ can be both fully human and fully divine. Therefore it must be wrong' quite simply does not work.

If one of our pre-suppositions is that God must be fully amenable to our own understanding, that is the wrong way round. It is better to approach him with awe and wonder, than to insist that he must fit what we expect of him.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
True, I'm just trying to illustrate that the 'fully God, fully human' thing is not 'simple'. It just isn't.

The other possibility is that it's so radically simple that we think it can't possibly be that simple, and we try to complicate it.

Jesus, uniquely in the whole history of creation, had two "natures": the divine nature and the human nature. It's partly that uniqueness that makes it impossible to comprehend - there's no other case of a dual nature that we can appeal to for comparison. A horse, for instance, can never be both fully horse and fully cat.

If we're going to use the word "paradox", we have to use it in a specific way, not meaning something that's illogical and therefore can't be true, but as something beyond logic, and therefore can't be comprehended. It's beyond logic in the sense that there is a limit to what you can say about it. You can state the "facts" as we believe them to be, and reason from those to other things we believe about Jesus (for instance, that his temptations and his death were as real as they are for any human being, and weren't in any way privileged or illusory); but you can't reason about how a dual nature might be possible in a general sense - it's something that, apart from the unique case of Jesus, is beyond human experience.

It's at times like this I'm tempted to take Wittgensteing's maxim about philosophy and apply it to theology: "that whereof we cannot speak, thereof we must be silent". It's speculation that complicates the issue.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You seem to assume that it is only in the realm of theology that people have to live with paradox. In fact, paradox permeates life.

The fact that I can't understand the Incarnation doesn't bother me because there are so many other things I also can't get my mind around.

The other things I can't understand were created by God. I assume that God is more complicated than his creation. In that case, there is no reason why I should be able to understand the Incarnation.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Does anyone understand* Incarnation? I read on the Hot Jesus thread that He was 'both fully divine and fully human'. This seems illogical unless you make the case uniquely exceptional and inexplicable, but I doubt that would have two millennia of carriage in the human imagination, so I must be missing something very obvious here. What's the deal?

It's a question of categories (in the logical sense).
White, red, blue, etc. are all colours - they're all members of the category colour. It's logically contradictory to say that something is wholly white and also wholly red.
Being made of paper, made of metal, etc. are also part of the same category - it's logically contradictory to say that something is wholly made of paper and also wholly made of metal.
But something can be wholly made of metal and wholly red, because red and made of metal are in different logical categories.
In the same way, being read all over is a different logical category from being black and white; so something can be black and white and read all over.

So, Socrates can be a human being and Socrates can be wise, because 'wise' and 'human being' are in different categories. It's logically contradictory to say that Socrates is a human being and a rabbit; because 'human being' and 'rabbit' are in the same logical category.

Now - 'divine' is not in the same category as anything else. God is not coloured, or made of anything, or a member of any biological species. Therefore, there is no logical contradiction in saying that something is human and divine. (Nor would it be contradictory to say that something was a lump of wood and divine.) Quite how that works is open to debate - e.g. are there things that Jesus knew as God but didn't know as a human being - but it's not contradictory.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
but it's not contradictory.

I can see you saying this, but I can't see your reasoning. How can the God who created everything, is eternal, everywhere-at-once etc etc logically also be a fallible, killable, in-one-place, non-superman human being.

Other than you asserting it is logical (or not illogical), I can't see that you have proven it is. Or isn't.

[ 28. February 2014, 13:31: Message edited by: pydseybare ]

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I believe in the incarnation, but as I've said a lot recently, not because it is logical. I think it requires a leap of faith.

People tend to use the word 'logical' loosely, without thinking through the implications.
In one sense, believing that the planets orbit the sun in ellipses goes beyond logic; you can't deduce it from any purely logical axioms. You have to look through telescopes or observe falling objects.
It's one thing to say that something can't be deduced from basic logic or observation and therefore requires a leap of faith; and another thing to say that it's logically impossible and requires a leap of faith. The former I think is defensible. I don't think the latter can actually be done - things that are logically contradictory are actually meaningless. (What does it mean to talk about a square circle?)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

Yes, but there are certain characteristic traits of being a creator deity which are incontroversially contradictory to being a human being. Hence you either have to change the common understanding of 'creator God' or of 'human being' if you are going to claim it is logical.

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

He is misquoting Plato's tripartate theory of the soul there, in case anyone wants a reference.
Um, I rather doubt that. He's much more likely to be accurately paraphrasing Hume:
quote:
Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

Ha, ok, well then Hume is (apparently) commenting on Plato.

It was a silly point, someone said previously that I wasn't providing enough web links.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
quote:
but it's not contradictory.

I can see you saying this, but I can't see your reasoning. How can the God who created everything, is eternal, everywhere-at-once etc etc logically also be a fallible, killable, in-one-place, non-superman human being.

Other than you asserting it is logical (or not illogical), I can't see that you have proven it is. Or isn't.

If it can't be proven to be a logical contradiction, then it's not illogical.
Let's divide statements into three types:
a) can be proven through logic or other pure reasoning: e.g. a triangle on the Euclidean plane with sides 3 units, 4 units, and 5 units, is right-angled.
b) can be disproven through logic: e.g. there exists a right angled triangle with sides 3 units, 4 units, and 6 units on the Euclidean plane. These are illogical.
c) can be neither proven nor disproven through logic and mathematics alone; e.g. Barack Obama is President of the United States; sheep are carnivorous; it is never moral to tell lies; etc.
Most statements are of type 'c' - the contention is that a statement is presumed to be of type 'c', until it is shown to be either a or b.

Now by 'logical' do you mean 'a' or do you mean 'a' and 'c'? It's certainly not necessarily irrational to believe statements of type 'c', even though they cannot be proven through logic.

As to how Jesus can both be omniscient and also have limited knowledge, God's knowledge isn't like human knowledge. (We don't know positively what God's knowledge is like, but we know it can't work in the same way that ours' does.) How that works out in terms of Jesus' subjective human psychology we don't know either. And so on in the case of other attributes.

It's not the case that we start out by dreaming up statements like 'Jesus is fully human and divine' as an exercise in metaphysics. Rather we start out with the evidence of the Gospel stories, and come to the conclusion that Jesus was human, but also that Jesus was God. So if we have reason to believe that from the Gospel story, then we have reason to believe that it isn't logically contradictory.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of our problem is that we don't know what the hell we're talking about when we speak of human nature, let alone God's divine nature. What does it mean to be fully human? It appears to be mean (for example), to possess a physical body (whether currently resident in that body or not), to be bound by unidirectional time as we normally understand it, to have a beginning, to be (at least potentially) rational, to have limitations to our knowledge and power, and so forth.

But that's all very vague--not at all a definitive statement of what human nature actually consists in. The borders are fuzzy to a lot of folk. Therefore the ongoing debates on
* when a fetus becomes "human" in nature(conception is the only logical point I can come up with, as there seems no alternate nature it could possess till then);
* what degree of deformity either mental or physical can strip someone of human nature (I would argue none);
* whether one ceases to be human at death (and therefore may be treated as an object rather than a human person);
* whether humanity and personhood are identical or simply overlapping categories;
* whether there are any cases in which a fetus/disabled person/person in a vegetative state/person with extensive cyborg parts (sci fi I know, but still) ceases to be "human" in nature and may therefore be treated as property (e.g. slavery, buying and selling vs. adoption, etc.)

There are also tendencies to mix up corruptions of the nature with the nature itself. For example, even on these boards we see all the time a confusion of "human nature" with sinfulness--people who seem to think that it is the very nature of humanity to be corrupt, and always has been, and always will be--and then argue that since God is not, cannot, be corrupt, therefore he cannot become human. But this is not true either, since sin is something that has happened to human nature, not the nature itself.

Which is all a very longwinded way of saying, if we can't even agree on what the constituents and borders of human nature are, how can we dare to say it is incompatible with divine nature? which we know even less about.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

Dafyd - I believe you might have proven it is internally consistent and believable, but not that it is logical.

You can't go from belief in the Jewish Yahweh logically to a belief in Jesus Christ as God. The first appears to suggest that the latter is not possible.

Of course, it looks logical backwards using Christian theology because, well, that is the point of Christianity!

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ha, ok, well then Hume is (apparently) commenting on Plato.

I see no evidence for that inference either, I'm afraid.

And I don't think anyone's going to criticise you for not trying to furnish others' posts with citations and footnotes, especially if you miss the mark when you do.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:

And I don't think anyone's going to criticise you for not trying to furnish others' posts with citations and footnotes, especially if you miss the mark when you do.

Fair enough.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:

By gum, am I? Silly me, I thought I was quoting Hume, ah well.

Incidentally, Hume actually says that “Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."

I suppose the astonishing word there is 'ought'.

Echoed to a degree by Schopenhauer, who said (paraphrase coming up), that we can use reason to get what we want, but not to decide what we want.

I suppose this used to be termed a sentimentalist moral ethics? Although I think there has been a revival of interest in this recently.

--------------------

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

Well, In The Republic Plato says that there are three parts to the soul and that in the balanced person, the logical part should be in control of the appetite and spirited part.

Which is why I thought it was a misquote. I must read Hume, it looks interesting.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Well, In The Republic Plato says that there are three parts to the soul and that in the balanced person, the logical part should be in control of the appetite and spirited part.

Which is why I thought it was a misquote. I must read Hume, it looks interesting.

Yes, in some ways, Hume is saying the reverse, which has caused plenty of discussion and controversy, as Hume of course, is often reckoned to be one of the fathers of skepticism, but this in fact, leads to a kind of anti-rationalism.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:
I believe in the incarnation, but as I've said a lot recently, not because it is logical. I think it requires a leap of faith.

People tend to use the word 'logical' loosely, without thinking through the implications.
In one sense, believing that the planets orbit the sun in ellipses goes beyond logic; you can't deduce it from any purely logical axioms. You have to look through telescopes or observe falling objects.
It's one thing to say that something can't be deduced from basic logic or observation and therefore requires a leap of faith; and another thing to say that it's logically impossible and requires a leap of faith. The former I think is defensible. I don't think the latter can actually be done - things that are logically contradictory are actually meaningless. (What does it mean to talk about a square circle?)

Depends on how you define 'circle' and 'square', and whether you adhere to Euclidean geometry, I suppose. In taxicab geometry, circles are squares.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxicab_geometry#Circles_in_Taxicab_geometry

--------------------

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Not by conversion of the Godhead into flesh: but by the taking of Manhood into God" (Athanasian Creed)
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016