homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Girl sues parents for support (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Girl sues parents for support
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
justlooking - the legal situation is that children are only allowed in pubs if there is a children's room. A young person of 16 may be bought a glass of beer, wine or cider with a meal. Nobody under 18 may buy an alcoholic drink for themselves or others.

Your barman was definitely acting illegally.

This provision
quote:
However if you’re 16 or 17 and accompanied by an adult, you can drink (but not buy) beer, wine or cider with a meal.

used to be for age 14 and did not include wine - the provision was for alcoholic drinks below a certain strength so most wines would not have been included.

Yes, the barman was acting illegally but ISTM there was provision for common-sense which was accepted in practice if not in law. I've been served alcohol in school uniform along with other 16 - 18 year olds - no questions asked despite it being a city centre bar. My point is that in the past, in the UK, bar staff were allowed a certain discretion in practice if not in law and it was generally accepted that alcohol in moderation was OK for teenagers. I can also recall going out for a meal with a group of sixth-formers aged 16 and 17 where we ordered and were served with several bottles of wine.

[ 09. March 2014, 14:13: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
And where's the freakin' boyfriend in all this? He seems to have dropped out of the picture altogether.

If he had his wits about him, he'd run yelling and screaming as far away as he could get!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
On the other hand, weirdly, this story seems to have reached our Daily Mail. So that makes me wonder whether it was ever true in the first place.

This seems as good a quote as any with which to remind people that this is speculation about living persons, some of it unpleasant. What the Daily Mail prints is its responsibility, but the Ship is keen to steer clear of legal trouble. Please bear this in mind when posting. Admins advised.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
justlooking - the legal situation is that children are only allowed in pubs if there is a children's room. A young person of 16 may be bought a glass of beer, wine or cider with a meal. Nobody under 18 may buy an alcoholic drink for themselves or others.

Your barman was definitely acting illegally.

Yes, but it wasn't unusual in the 70s and early 80s. My experience as a 16 year old was much the same as justlooking's. A group of us 16 & 17 year olds (all friends from church as it happens!) used to go to the same pub that the choir went to after rehearsal. The adults from the choir knew who we were and I'm pretty certain the landlord was aware too. Provided we didn't make a racket or cause any trouble, he turned a blind eye.

[ 09. March 2014, 17:43: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, this is how I remember it too. At the end of the school term when we were 16, 17, 18, we pupils used to go to the same pub as the teaching staff - we all just made sure we were in different bars. No one turned a hair.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the smaller but symptomatic things that really annoys me about politicians and other public figures is when they go on about the iniquities of underage drinking when you know that they did it themselves because everybody did, and I assume, does.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not everybody does. Based on what I've heard on the Ship, I suspect it's much more common in the UK. Though we have plenty of kids who do here, too, but it still seems like an order of magnitude difference.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the record, in this country one may legally introduce one's own children to alcohol when they are under 21 in one's own home, but not in public, and not anyone else's children anywhere.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Enoch:

If that's really true, I actually find that quite a shocking intrusion into how one parents one's children. Is such a law actually enforced or is it de facto ignored?

It is no more an intrusion than the law saying that if as a matter of parenting I beat Dlet to within an inch of his life every second evening, I can't be charged with assault.

With drinking at home, it would be more a question of obtaining sufficient evidence to sustain a conviction. That may be difficult.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D: From Enoch:

If that's really true, I actually find that quite a shocking intrusion into how one parents one's children. Is such a law actually enforced or is it de facto ignored?

It is no more an intrusion than the law saying that if as a matter of parenting I beat Dlet to within an inch of his life every second evening, I can't be charged with assault.

With drinking at home, it would be more a question of obtaining sufficient evidence to sustain a conviction. That may be difficult.

Sorry, but that's disproportionate and a nonsense comparison. Beating Dlet to within an inch of his life every second evening is cruelty so severe as to outweigh the normal and proper inhibition against the state/law intruding itself into peoples' family lives. I would imagine most people in most countries would think it is weird to regard it as anything other than my business whether I let my 17 year old son or daughter drink beer or wine at home, or what I regard as the best way to encourage him or her in a sensible attitude towards alcohol.

Is this Australia's example of Kinder-egg syndrome? There seems to be a rule that every country has to have at least one bit of law that looks nuts to anyone from anywhere else.

I am sure we have plenty, though perhaps if one lives in a place one is blind to what looks odd to others. Not being able to buy more than two packets of aspirins simultaneously, certainly strikes me as peculiarly and pointlessly interfering.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a faint suspicion that Gee D was referring to something else, and you two are at cross purposes for the moment...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I have a faint suspicion that Gee D was referring to something else, and you two are at cross purposes for the moment...

And getting far off the point... which is not at all about whether or not a parent should be allowed to give their teen a beer at dinner, but about whether an older unrelated male should get 15 year old girls drunk against their parent's wishes and away their supervision, (possibly deliberately) generating a familial rift, swoop in and move the girl into your home, then have the gall to sue the parents for support.

That's several light years away from letting your own son or daughter have a sip of wine in your own home.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found some court records of the case.

There was a child protective services investigation of the abuse complaints; the conclusion was that the complaints were unfounded. One allegation was that the parents had broken the furniture in the girl's room and kicked in the door. The investigation showed that there was no damage.

After reading the legal submissions from both sides, I think the parents are far more reasonable.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have friends who enjoy going to a sports bar and playing trivia against other teams in the bar or by satellite. When their kid was a child, no problem bringing him along. When he was about 14, he could no longer enter the building. Serving under-aged people can get a bar server or bar owner in big trouble.

I guess everyone figures no cop will suspect they are serving beer to a child, but having a teenager hang out and asking a cop to NOT jump to the conclusion the teen is drinking, that's asking for trouble. Big noise before it shakes out, disrupting business. (Of course by 14 many teens have a fake IDs.)

Kids are not supposed to consume alcohol in USA. Usually no one cares what you serve your own kid in your own home, but serving someone else's kid can result in a fine or jail time. I think parents rarely file charges, the police get involved when things are way out of line, like the party spills into a neighbors property without permission or a kid crashes a car drunk on the way home, something very public.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

Something that's really sad about this case, is that whatever the rights and wrongs - and having read the papers linked to, my instinctive sympathies are with the parents - what does it do for the future prospects of the family ever getting back to any sort of normality or for this unfortunate adolescent negotiating her passage to adulthood successfully? The fact that this is all been in the press, even in foreign countries, and people, including me, can read the court papers, can't help.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing I noticed in the court documents was that the girl's submission contained at least one lie.

She said that she currently held various responsible positions at school. She had held them, but they were all taken away from her when she was caught drinking alcohol at a school dance.

It's quite possible that the parents have lied too, but there is no evidence of that at present.

There is one thing about the American attitude towards teenage drinking that many shippies don't understand. Many American teenagers have cars, and teenage drunk driving kills quite a lot of people. Adult drunk driving kills lots of people also, of course, but the combination of alcohol and lack of experience makes teenage drunk drivers especially dangerous.

In the late 1980s, the federal Department of Transportation said it would withhold federal highway funds from any state that had a lower legal drinking age than twenty-one. I think it would be better if this were handled on a more local level.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
In the late 1980s, the federal Department of Transportation said it would withhold federal highway funds from any state that had a lower legal drinking age than twenty-one. I think it would be better if this were handled on a more local level.

It used to be handled at the local level and that created problems. Kids drove from the home county or state to the nearby county or state with the lower age limit. Then they drove home drunk (if getting drunk was the goal, as is surprisingly often seems to be). But the drive home could easily be 30 or 50 miles. That's a lot of drunken time on the road.

Changing to a uniform age limit put the drunkenness "underground", but kept the kids much closer to home, a shorter drunk drive home after the party. That shorter drunken drives was a goal of the uniform age.

Before that, the age was 18 for a while, then some places raised it to 19 because 18 is high school senior which means some high school students can legally buy booze to bring to a party and supply younger friends at school. 19 is out of high school, no longer attending school parties.

The bigger question to me is why the kids like to get drunk or get each other drunk. Hangovers are miserable!

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All of which is interesting, but really tangental to this case. This case isn't about teens sneaking out to score some beer and drink it behind the 7-11. It's not about parents giving kids a glass of wine at dinner. It's not about clueless parents looking the other way while their teen has a kegger in the basement. This case quite possibly isn't even about what it appears to be on the surface-- a dispute between a teen & parents about appropriate discipline and/or financial support vs. independence.

The key dark secret, possibly, at the core of this case, is why an unrelated adult male is nurturing a relationship with this girl over several years, supplying her with alcohol & getting her drunk on a regular basis, in a way that seems designed to drive a wedge between her and her parents, then swoops in to move her into his place and sue her parents to provide $$ support for this cozy arrangement.

[ 10. March 2014, 19:03: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
hosting/
This seems as good a quote as any with which to remind people that this is speculation about living persons, some of it unpleasant. What the Daily Mail prints is its responsibility, but the Ship is keen to steer clear of legal trouble. Please bear this in mind when posting. Admins advised.

/hosting

What part of this post by a host are you finding difficulty with?

Don't let there be a next time, or one of us might just delete this thread to keep us clear of legal complications.

Alan
Ship of Fools Admin

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

oh, sorry. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She's returned home.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I note in that article it says:
quote:
Canning left her parents’ house on Oct. 30, two days before she turned 18 after a tumultuous stretch during which her parents separated and reconciled and the teen began getting into uncharacteristic trouble at school.

It does place the whole situation in a rather different context.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016