homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Excessive zeal in matters of religion

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Excessive zeal in matters of religion
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excessive zeal in matters of religion is a sign of spiritual deficiency and of a lack of faith in God.

Discuss

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No. [Razz]

Seriously, what is meant by excessive zeal, and how do we tell whether it is present in a particular case? Are we talking about stuff like voluntary crucifixion (in the Philippines), or just "you spend way too much time at church, darling"?

As for spiritual deficiency, don't we all have that?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found this quote which made me nod my head towards the OP.
quote:
A Hassidic Rabbi (Michael) taught, “When the Evil Urge tries to tempt people to sin, it tempts them to become super righteous.”
I suspect that excessive zeal is often accompanied by a lack of humility. There are a number of sayings in the book of Proverbs which address this issue; this one is striking
quote:
Before a downfall the heart is haughty, but humility comes before honor. (Prov 18:12
BTW, an apparent excess of humility seems to me to be just another kind of pride; pride in being humble!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Discuss

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
No. [Razz]

The smell of mutiny ? Always feels I've been wound back to the confines of a school classroom when I see OPs headed like that.

H'mmm religous zeal . Some might say religion without zeal is like sex without passion. Others would say at best it's embarrassing, or at worst it's dangerous .

Excessive anything is inclined to be problematic , unless you're training to excel at sport or something like that.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In some reflections for Palm Sunday St Josemaria Escrive, founder of Opus Dei, said this-
quote:
...there is no peace in many hearts which vainly strive to make up for their intranquility of soul by continuous activity, by seeking a thin satisfaction in things which do not fill them but only leave a bitter aftertaste of sorrow..

....There is another hypocritical enemy of our sanctification: the idea that this interior struggle has to be against extraordinary obstacles, against fire-belching dragons. This is another sign of pride. We are ready to fight, but we want to do it noisily, with the clamour of trumpets and the waving of standards. We must convince ourselves that the worst enemy of a rock is not a pickaxe or any other such implement, no matter how sharp it is. No, its worst enemy is the constant flow of water which drop by drop enters the crevices until it ruins the rock's structure. The greatest danger for a Christian is to underestimate the importance of fighting skirmishes. The refusal to fight the little battles can, little by little, leave him soft, weak and indifferent, insensitive to the accents of God's voice.

Interior Struggle

ISTM that excessive zeal is based on a self image that casts ourselves in the role of heroes. The idea of heroism that sees great men and women doing great deeds overlooks the fact that in most cases victory belongs not to those who can inflict the most but to those who can endure the most. The good zeal is that which springs from a just estimation of our weaknesses and our inadequacies as a channel of God's grace. An excessive zeal rightly recognises the power of God but wildly overestimates the ability of the zealot to adequately respond to it.

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ISTM that 'excessive' zeal may not see people cast themselves as heroes but also as victims?

But what is 'excessive': to someone from a non-church and non-belief background going to church weekly is excessive, but most regular worshippers would regard it as the norm.

So are all weekly worshippers 'excessive'?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
ISTM that 'excessive' zeal may not see people cast themselves as heroes but also as victims?

But what is 'excessive': to someone from a non-church and non-belief background going to church weekly is excessive, but most regular worshippers would regard it as the norm.

So are all weekly worshippers 'excessive'?

We could play the everything is relative game to infinity and achieve nothing thereby. A question like this assumes a test along the lines off Given that person A believes certain things what would a reasonable observer consider to be a proportionate series of actions to follow from those beliefs?

Of course the test is to some extent subjective and the reasonable observer is an hypothetical construct but it is hard to see how any kind of discussion can take place around concepts like 'zeal' or 'excessive' without adopting this kind of approach.

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's what Paul reckons. If the aim of your "zeal" is to please Christ (rather than make yourself feel good, have a pop at someone else) that sounds like a sensible place to start.
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nah

Lukewarm and secular Christians just say that sort of thing to justify their lack of zeal.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Woe to you, for you tithe mint and dill and cumin, but have neglected the weightier matters of the law: mercy and justice and faith.

It depends on whether you mean by matters of religion, tithing mint and dill and cumin and the equivalent, or whether you mean mercy and justice and faith. It is certainly possible to get very zealous about the trappings of religion.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
or whether you mean mercy and justice and faith. It is certainly possible to get very zealous about the trappings of religion.

This would seem to apply to a zealous approach to putting up stone monuments displaying the Decalogue, while going out of one's way to judge "sinners" (who just happen to commit "sins" that you are not tempted by), and totally ignoring the Two Great Commandments because they somehow do not apply.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or making one's faith all about self-righteous rants against the actions of one faction of a political party in a nation one doesn't even live

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Those who know don't have the words to tell
And the ones with the words don't know too well" -Bruce Cockburn.

Zeal is too often about the needs of the zealous.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:

Zeal is too often about the needs of the zealous.

I imagine that a large part of all religion is about what it does psychologically for believers themselves - especially in modern, individualistic cultures like ours. Indeed, it's practically bad manners to carry on as if our personal spirituality should be of any importance to anyone else.

As others have said, it's difficult to say what counts as 'zeal' without further explanation. in some circles, any sign of religious belief or practice is viewed as odd. I suppose it's normally a reference to obsessive or rigid 'strictness' in terms of doctrine or practice; or a desperation to evangelise in ways that lack any tact or understanding; or an inclination to fill all of one's available time and effort on churchgoing and church affairs.

Rather like madness, though, 'excessive zeal' seems to be a matter of context.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would ponder what ones zeal is about . Does it draw attention to God/Christ or does it draw attention to you . If the latter then the zeal is misplaced . Zeal should always point toward God/Christ . Otherwise everything else is in vain.

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Excessive zeal in matters of religion is a sign of spiritual deficiency and of a lack of faith in God.

For some, perhaps. Squiggle Andrew comes to mind. For months (years?) he was the most Orthodox of Orthodox- at least to his own thinking. Then he reads one book. Bam! He's an atheist. What a conversion!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Discuss

If so - is a total lack of zeal in matters of religion a sign of spiritual completeness? And why should it be a given that spiritual deficiency is allied to a lack of faith in God? Depends what you mean by spirituality? - Discuss?

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Worth pointing out that extreme religiosity (particularly when a very sudden change in behaviour but also more minor changes) can often be a symptom of mental illness. It is often also a means of control for people who feel helpless and out of control in other areas of their lives. I've seen it myself with people who (for example) switch to dresses and skirts for women only, viewing trousers on women to be cross-dressing in accordance with Leviticus, and also get very rigid about following Jewish tznius (modesty laws) which require collarbones, elbows and knees to be covered. The people in question had families, businesses, churches falling apart at the seams and getting obsessive about clothing from a religious POV was a way of getting back control over their lives. Very similar to how those suffering with eating disorders use food as control. In such cases, I hesitate to call it a lack of faith but rather a symptom of deep-seated emotional issues.

Not saying that hyper-religiosity is never caused by immature faith and lack of real spirituality, but I would be wary of accusing people who may be very ill or at least very troubled of lacking faith.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Worth pointing out that extreme religiosity (particularly when a very sudden change in behaviour but also more minor changes) can often be a symptom of mental illness.

As I understand it - epilepsy is the uncontrolled firing of neurons simultaneously within an area of the brain (rather than a sequential firing). When epilepsy affects the temporal lobe it can result in religious hallucinations

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wots that movement in England that despaired at the rivalry of the church within England during the civil war and therefore cautioned zealosity?

[ 13. April 2014, 11:24: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

QJ
Shipmate
# 14873

- Posted      Profile for QJ   Email QJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
too much misdirected zeal can get ears cut off. keep your sword at home.

--------------------
QJ

Posts: 111 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Aye. Well said.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016