homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » How much do YOU love and adore beautiful Jesus?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: How much do YOU love and adore beautiful Jesus?
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never enough. [Frown]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lord, it is my chief complaint
that my love is weak and faint;
Yet I love thee, and adore;
O for grace to love thee more!

William Cowper
Salvation Army Song Book 110
underlined by me

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure that I do really. 'beautiful' puts me off - not very manly.

But I do share his passion for the poor so do i still qualify?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that's three excellent companies I'm in. Four counting Cowper.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I would find Christianity a very cold affair if there were not heartfelt affection for the person of Christ who dwells within.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Why the need for a stereotypical view of manliness?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Jade, I'm a 60 year late feminist BLOKE, so can we be real here? I know leo said it. But he said what ALLLLLLL blokes FEEL. Even my EQ genius, feminist ... wife ... feels it. AND I sing it with gusto JUST to challenge all my conditioning. AND what I'm really getting at IS covered by the other responses above.

So there will be plenty of right-on women here, as well as yourself, but who DON'T adore beautiful Jesus either.

Kittens and babies are adorable ...

I adore my male children. I adore my wife. I adore my Mum. My mate Paul the cop. I LOVE him. Just exploring it here and now. Could I say, "Paul", who looks like an EDL heavy, "I adore you mate.". Saying that, I could. I'll have to try it won't I?! But the adoration 'due' to Jesus seems to go beyond all that.

I can't see myself, hear myself, saying it to Him. ... Well I just did. It didn't feel completely silly ...

We sing these desperate, contemporarily love-sick sounding lyrics, "Receive our adoration.", which seem actually to be from another culture. A pre-modern one.

The Jesus of the Bible is a most fascinating, awesome, strange, courageous, ornery, lovely, complex, honourable, decent, kind, good, challenging person. I get choked up reading about Him time and again. And all manner of other reactions. Asking Him, Lord, WHY did you say that? What did You mean? What DO You mean?

I get teared up now. I discussed it with the little woman. She said to imagine Him walking with us right then. I acknowledge Him present right now, sitting ... in the overlapping hyper-reality, on the edge of the bed. I nod and look away. And get very moved. To the point of panic and repression. I'm bringing a LOT to the party here, including my intrusive thoughts, which don't put Him ... my projection of Him ... off in the slightest of course.

I 'get on' with Him best when I talk straight with Him, early in the morning between shifts, trying to establish a coherent narrative of my incoherent feelings, thoughts, concerns. As if He were my friend, my silently nodding Zen analyst. As my Lord, with all of the ancient resonance of that. One can adore, fear a Lord. A kingly, other, fey, majestic being, crackling with power and benevolence. I had the stupendous privilege of being in St. Paul's yesterday for Easter Sunday. The choir and organ were utterly spine tingling. I felt the earthquake in my polluted, writhing, sewerine, unworthily loved heart.

I know, I know, all too whimsical and intimate and broken and more Heaven the Purgatory in most ways. All terribly 'inappropriate' I'm sure.

I feel ALL that. Does that come under the umbrella of these absurdly aspirational Arthurian, Tolkeinesque, deeply viscerally Freudian romance notions?

This REALLY doesn't look appropriate, coherent, helpful. I keep wanting to edit it, indent it. Where are The Father and The Holy Spirit? In 'Lord' too.

What does the Lord want of us in terms of adoration? In terms of love?

The social gospeller, gospeleer in me - by the Spirit? - says adore Me in unloved, unlovable 'Eugene' at church. In every human face. In madly grieving irrational Korean parents. In frightening frightened Ukrainian and Russian nationalists.

Hmmm. I'll HAVE to talk to Him about that!

Sorry everyone!

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Bugger: more Heaven thAN Purgatory

--------------------
Love wins

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, some of us talk like this in Purg.
Then other people pass over it (sorry it's Pessach so the word tripped off my tongue)
Then a few posts down or in a PM someone says it has struck a chord with them.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin,

you're trying to express something that many,
particularly males,
particularly English males,
particularly English males of a certain age,
find difficult because we lack a rich vocabulary of feeling.

But even in our emotional inarticulacy we can recognise the common-usage meaning of "love" and "adore" as inadequate. As you say, puppies are adorable. And "love" is too often just a stronger version of "like". Click here to love Jesus...

The new translation of the Mass has "adore" where the previous had "worship". "Worship" to me is less-inadequate.

Best wishes mate,

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I admire Him. Does that count?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Jesus, as He love me and all others. And the children love "Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so."

Also God helps me regularly to do things and behave sensibly.

Thank you, God ! [Overused]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Thank you daisymay. Lovely. You are a blessing.

Aye Chorister, it counts (real, true, honest), YOU count. I'm sure He admires you back [Smile]

Russ. Yeah. Nod. Smile through pursed lips. Whatever that means!

And Galilit. As for Russ! But different.

Talk about emotionally inarticulate!

--------------------
Love wins

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
Martin,

you're trying to express something that many,
particularly males,
particularly English males,
particularly English males of a certain age,
find difficult because we lack a rich vocabulary of feeling.

It's interesting, though, because many of our hymn and worship song writers have been men, and a good number of them have been Englishmen too. The masculine unease with the 'rich vocabulary of feeling' seems to be a fairly recent thing. Either that, or the men who write religious songs are very untypical. It's probably a mixture of both things, though.

I love Jesus, but it feels very weak. I'm like the man who said 'I believe; help my unbelief' (Mark 9:24). It's easier to think of myself as resting in his love, because what I have to offer in return will always seem hopelessly inadequate.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frankly Martin I am amazed by the number of things you do adore.
There are days when I find it hard to even vaguely like most people, including my nearest and dearest, let alone love them.
Loving someone I have never really met, don't know except by reputation, is usually way beyond me.
Except.....why do I then want to? Why am I envious of the ease with which some people talk about their personal relationship with God? Why is there an ache in my heart when I feel I am far from Him? Why do I want to put my mind to one side and just let my heart work?

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quoth Svitlana:
quote:
I love Jesus, but it feels very weak. I'm like the man who said 'I believe; help my unbelief' (Mark 9:24). It's easier to think of myself as resting in his love, because what I have to offer in return will always seem hopelessly inadequate.
Preach it, sister!

As for the hymn writers: very few "churchy" people are seen as "manly" (isn't that a beach near Sydney?)

And some of the most mechanically-inclined hunters and fishermen I know don't look "manly" - they just do stuff. Maybe their inner light shines through (probably not in a way that would appeal to Mark Driscoll, but what does he know but bully-speak?)

But what does "beautiful" have to do with Jesus' purpose in coming to earth? He could have been quite rugged or gaunt or even "deformed" and still given us His teaching and His Life.

Or do we only worship that which has a good image to look at?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... always more than I used to, always less than I want to.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel like I am that woman that reached out for his cloak as he passed by. Like it's too much for me to ask for him to look at me, but if I could just touch the robe and get some sense of his presence...

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I am not alone! That's 14 out of 15 of us so far.

Most moving Kelly Alves. tessaB - I'm VERY broken in my adoring. In fact my adoring has been taken for clinging. As for my daughter, I'd kill for her without blinking once. The lads do my head in one way and another, but although I can be rarely transactionally parental with my youngest (once either end of over two years) I tend just to ... adore them. Love them anxiously. The older in particular.

The truth is that Jesus, our Father and the Holy Spirit all adore all of us. Personally. By name. Regardless. Unbelievable.

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beautiful Jesus? What, you mean this guy? -
quote:
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
He was despised and rejected by mankind,
a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
Like one from whom people hide their faces
he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.
(Isaiah 53.2-3, NIV)

(And yes, I'm aware that Isaiah, whoever he was, wasn't talking about Jesus, whoever he was; but Tradition has established the link.)

I'm not sure there's much about Jesus that's beautiful, or that's meant to be. Scary, yes. Awe-inspiring, definitely. But beautiful? Perhaps he's the test case that disproves "Truth is beauty, beauty truth".

I read recently that Mgr. Ronald Knox (I think) had said to beware of anyone who said they loved the book The Imitation of Christ - "because they're either a saint or a dabbler"[/i]. I think I'd have the same kind of caution with regard to anyone who "loves beautiful Jesus".

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Beautiful Jesus? What, you mean this guy? -
quote:
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
He was despised and rejected by mankind,
a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
Like one from whom people hide their faces
he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.
(Isaiah 53.2-3, NIV)

(And yes, I'm aware that Isaiah, whoever he was, wasn't talking about Jesus, whoever he was; but Tradition has established the link.)
No, not Tradition; Jesus himself established the link and Philip unequivocally confirmed it.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus is not a cuddly Teddy Bear. The one who we love and adore tells us to "take up our cross and follow Him."

Christianity is not about warm fuzzy feelings about Jesus.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You mean I can't have warm and fuzzy feelings about Jesus? [Waterworks]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course you can.

Jesus is your boyfriend. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:

Why the need for a stereotypical view of manliness?
Because most blokes, myself included, are put off by this stuff - which is why women vastly outnumber men in churches.

However much I seek to integrate 'my feminine side', I am male.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Of course you can.

Jesus is your boyfriend. [Big Grin]

And if me is also my boyfriend... well, it won't be the first time that people have wondered if Jesus was gay. And that would fit with his outcaste status - child of a single parent, living in an occupied territory and all that.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
child of a single parent, living in an occupied territory and all that.

... hanging around down by the docks, chatting up sailors ...

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But some of the current attempts to create masculine expressions of Jesus in church (to bring in the men) are ridiculous. You have "muscular Christianity," "fighter Jesus" (with mixed-martial-arts invoked in the preaching), and "Cowboy Church" - which also attracts rustic rural women. I don't think Church has become highly feminized (although there has been some influence from the shift in demographics where more congregations are majority female). I think the greater phenomenon is that masculinity in the west has felt challenged by feminism and the gay rights movement so straight men (and gay men who want to stay in the closet) feel a need to avoid anything that seems feminine in any way - and the list of "girly" things has grown over time to include a lot of church atmospheres that were pretty normal for both sexes a few decades ago.

Also, Jesus is the bridegroom of the Church. I think men are missing out if they do not allow themselves to fall in love with the idea of Jesus coming as our lover to claim us. If straight men say that it's just not right to think of Jesus as romantically wooing them as individuals (although girls may think that), then I would think that leaves Evangelical straight Christian men at a loss, since they can't make up for it with a devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary or the female saints [Smile] .

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Muscular Christianity began in Victorian England and came out of the Broad Church faction within the Church of England. Hard to see how that has anything to do with either gay rights or feminism. Cowboy Churches are as much about class as gender. Cowboy churches are prominent in places like Texas that have real live cowboys. Their lifestyle is very different from that of people who go to churches in town. Yes, to some degree, charismatic worship probably doesn't appeal to them either. However, most of the larger churches serve a nice and respectable hymn sandwich on Sunday morning. What's feminine about that?

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once remarked ( about Uma Thurman, of all people) that some people fit the definition of beauty, and some people redefine beauty.

Jesus , as portrayed in the Gospels, is the living, breathing demonstration of this idea. He finds beauty in a Roman soldier's gruff demurral . He finds beauty in some short guy climbing a tree. He finds beauty in a woman giving a sloppy emotional display at his feet at a party. He finds beauty in weedy mustard plants, housewives sweeping, mothers nagging judges.

I tend to believe he was a perfectly average, normal looking guy who grew beautiful the more he talked-- you know the type. And I am less concerned with whether or not people in his world might have considered him beautiful than I am in letting Him teach me what beauty really is.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Like it's too much for me to ask for him to look at me, but if I could just touch the robe and get some sense of his presence...

Yes, same here.

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Jesus is not a cuddly Teddy Bear. (...)
Christianity is not about warm fuzzy feelings about Jesus.

Indeed!

quote:
Because most blokes, myself included, are put off by this stuff - which is why women vastly outnumber men in churches.

Believe me Leo, one does not have to be a bloke to be very much put off by this sort of fluffyspeak.

And I fail to understand why "manliness" is something to be condemned (or negatively commented upon). I find it quite necessary as a countervailing force to much of what goes on in church.

On a more theological note, emotionally laden language such as "love and adore" and "beautiful Jesus" carries a whiff of the overly Christocentric (ie somewhat de-emphasise the other two aspects of the Trinity) approach I find worrying. Jesus ain't no rock star, folks.

And yes, I know, most of this is cultural. Some people go in for that sort of language. Where I come from (rural Westphalia) people would find this fluffy language extremely silly and no theologian, RC or Lutheran (there isn't much else in that neck of the woods), would dream of using it when addressing a congregation. And we don't do hand-holding, either
[Razz]

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Here's me being all gendery again, but I have wondered if the (very recent, culturally unique from a historical perspective) trend toward censuring men from passionate expression of religious devotion is part of what amplifies objectification of women. Because men are taught that it's weird to get all mushy in church-- and again, I am going to point out that in most cultures and for most of history, men have lead the fervent outpouring of devotion, so "taught" is the appropriate word--they lack an appropriate outlet for that fervor, so it winds up getting dumped into romantic relationships. Which us a recipe for disappointment, but that's another thread.

[ 22. April 2014, 17:58: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
it won't be the first time that people have wondered if Jesus was gay. And that would fit with his outcaste status - child of a single parent, living in an occupied territory and all that.

He wasn't the child of a single parent. he had a father figure.

And being born in an occupied country makes you gay? [Roll Eyes]

LOL

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Catherine Booth, the wife of General William Booth of The Salvation Army wrote papers and articles under the heading 'Agressive Christianity.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would not relate "manliness" to "aggressivity".
To me, manliness is related to terms like straightforward, fearless, serious, no-fluff, strong, solid.
Not bad as attributes of Christianity.

--------------------

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
quote:
it won't be the first time that people have wondered if Jesus was gay. And that would fit with his outcaste status - child of a single parent, living in an occupied territory and all that.

He wasn't the child of a single parent. he had a father figure.

LOL

Tradition teaches that Joseph died before Jesus's ministry began because the Gospels do not mention him after the Nativity stories.

So yes, Jesus had a single parent when he was an adult.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Muscular Christianity began in Victorian England and came out of the Broad Church faction within the Church of England. Hard to see how that has anything to do with either gay rights or feminism. Cowboy Churches are as much about class as gender. Cowboy churches are prominent in places like Texas that have real live cowboys. Their lifestyle is very different from that of people who go to churches in town. Yes, to some degree, charismatic worship probably doesn't appeal to them either. However, most of the larger churches serve a nice and respectable hymn sandwich on Sunday morning. What's feminine about that?

You caught me jumbling a bunch of different ideas together and I apologize for it. Muscular Christianity was a reaction to the perceived effeminacy of Victorian religion.

Cowboy Church is about a different culture than suburban upper-middle-class megachurches - but based on the conversation that introduced the concept to me, in which the male Cowboy Church member went on about the effeminacy of normal churches - there certainly is a gender role component for some of the male attendees of these churches. I also said that some women also find Cowboy Churches more in line with their culture.

The phenomenon that is most recent and that is a direct response targeted at men to the perceived women-centeredness of modern evangelicalism is what I called the "fighter Jesus" movement. An example is the marketing campaign, "Jesus didn't tap"

http://www.chron.com/life/houston-belief/article/Jesus-as-the-ultimate-ultimate-fighter-1599269.php

There are new churches targeting men based on a warrior ethos. It's nothing entirely new: think of the Templars, Hospitallers, Teutonics, and of the Jesuits. But turning Jesus into an action movie hero seems like even more of a stretch than turning him into a hippie. Christ will always be preached through the filter of the culture of the place and time, but marketing has infected Church-leadership culture to the point that we really seem to be making God in our own image. This isn't anything new and touchy-feely liberal Christianity is guilty of it as well. It just humors me that men would think that "UFC Jesus" is any more authentic than the sandal-shod sensitive "boyfriend Jesus" that turns them away.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Here's the thing-- for 2, 000 years, the main thing that has drawn people to Christianity is that guy in the Gospels. Why are we "marketing"him, anyway? He does a great job of marketing himself. And he has a maddening way of slipping out of those templates we try to shove him into. Maybe instead of battling templates, we should take more cues from the original.

If you try to make Jesus into a hippie, you have to contend with the fact that he turned over tables, killed innocent trees for rhetorical flourish, and promised dire judgement to folk who pissed him off. If you want him to be Vin Diesel, you have to contend with the fact that he blathered about love, love, love all the damn time, described himself as a hen for God's sake, and that half of his bosom buddies were girls. Oh, and he let some dude cuddle up with him at a dinner party. ( that's another thing about our culture-- middle eastern men have traditionally had no problem cuddling and hugging and hand- holding and dancing together and doing a bunch of other stuff we have no business calling"girly." The problem is not masculinity or femininity, the problem is over defining those terms in a way that overrides fundamental humanity. )

[ 22. April 2014, 19:49: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly [Overused]

--------------------
Less is more ...

PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been reading the autobiography of St Therese of Lisieux, The Story of a Soul. I wish I could adore the beautiful Jesus as she did. But she died of tuberculosis at 24, and probably spent much of her short life anticipating going to Him. Such piety often goes with sickly health, as in Saint Faustina Kowalska who suffered a similar fate. But we try!

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

@PaulTH: To each his own. Even within Carmelite spirituality there are different tunes. My own favourite is St Teresa of Avila's "The Book of my Life". Her relationship to Jesus is very much like one between two grown-ups being best friends. No sweet language thre at all.
It's one of my favourite spiritual books by the way. No nonsense and deep. Even tinged with delicious irony at the follies of the world in some parts.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

LOL

Makes you an oppressed person.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016