homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crowdsourcing Baby Names (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crowdsourcing Baby Names
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been trying to use the name Ruth on something for some time now.

I initially thought it sounded good as a dog name; not only could it say its own name, the line "Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God" sounds like what a happy dog would say to its master. But that got rejected by the Queen of Bashan, who thought that my grandmother (Edna Ruth) might think we were naming the dog after her. (We went with Gladys.)

Ruth has gotten a little more traction as a potential name for any future hypothetical daughter, but not enough to make me think that we will ever realistically use it.

So I'm throwing it out there to the world.

It works as "Ruthie," which would make the DIL happy. And I think it is a simple contrast to a hyphenated last name- it works well for the Supreme Court Justice, at least. And you get a really nice biblical story to go with your name.

What's not to like?

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about Martha, Alice or Margery?

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If there's any chance she might have red hair, don't choose Ruth as she will forever be known as 'Redruth'. However, other classical/biblical/saint's names such as Felicity, Judith (Judy), Clare, Eleanor, Eva, Martha, Catherine, are acceptable alternatives.

Cecilia would be lovely (especially for a musical family) but Simon and Garfunkel put paid to that one...

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Cecilia would be lovely (especially for a musical family) but Simon and Garfunkel put paid to that one...

I've known Cecilias, and yes, people actually do think that singing the song to them is an original thing. I would never burden someone with having to hear that song from every cheesy pickup artist she ever met.

--------------------

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martha? Abigail?

Dorothy can be shortened to Dolly which Ihtin is very pretty.

No prophet in the Uk Daisy is the stereotypic name for a cow

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dolly is pretty. So is Molly. What is Molly short for?

[ 25. February 2014, 22:00: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
No prophet in the Uk Daisy is the stereotypic name for a cow

Is it Betsy in Canada? In the US it's either Bessy or Bossy. "Old Betsy" is a frequent silly nickname for an inanimate object, I think tracing back to David Crockett, who nicknamed his rifle that.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There have been a few mentioned already, but I'm going to propose some more French names:

Amelie, Coralie, Lucy/Lucie, Magali, Julie, Nat(h)alie, Rosalie, Sophie, Amy (which has French origins)....

And I think more girls should be called Dulcie. Or Kitty.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dolly is Dolores; Molly is, I think, often used for Margaret (but often on its own), Polly (at least in my family) is a diminutive for variants on Paul (Pauline, Paula, etc)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, all! So far DP has not wowed the kids with her family names, and on my side the female names are generally either too Wagnerian or too biblical to be acceptable.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Egeria
Shipmate
# 4517

- Posted      Profile for Egeria     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandmother Gertrude was the youngest in a big family of sisters (and we have long generations in my family, so I never even met any of the great-aunts). But she had sisters called Pearl, Ruby, and Grace. There was also an Ada somewhere in that family (cf the Queen of Caria who got on so well with Alexander the Great).

Elizabeth is a great name; one always thinks of Queen Elizabeth I. And there are the variants/nicknames: Bess, Beth, and Eliza (we had a guard on the Cal basketball team by that name--the most energetic person I've ever seen, and a big favorite with the fans). I have to say though that to me Betsy doesn't have sufficient gravitas, and neither does Betty or Liz.

When choosing a name one should always consider how it's going to sound after titles: Coach, Captain, Doctor, Professor, or President. Someone called "Kaedynce" is probably going to have to surmount an extra hurdle or two along the way (that's really the name of the granddaughter of a family friend). So really trendy names and "creative" spellings should be avoided. They can make an unfavorable impression on potential employers and they can also date the bearer.

You can check out this web site to see fluctuations in popularity; "Ruby" is now making a bit of comeback, as is "Grace."
http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager#prefix=&sw=both&exact=false

--------------------
"Sound bodies lined / with a sound mind / do here pursue with might / grace, honor, praise, delight."--Rabelais

Posts: 314 | From: Berkeley, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a new granddaughter called Lily - lovely name.

What about some of the lilting Celtic names - like Catriona, Deirdre, Ailsa, Fiona, Caitlin, and so on. Many of them are Gaelic versions of common Anglo-Saxon names, but they sound more musical somehow.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Irish names have a tendency to get well and truly mispronounced, often as spelt, which is depressing. Better to stick with the tried and tested.

If the baby is to be born in March, one potential approach might be a name that begins with "Mar", and there are plenty to choose from - Maria, Margaret, Marian, Martha, Mara, Marjorie - which also satisfy the old-fashioned criteria - and Martina, Marcia, Marcella - and probably quite a lot more I haven't thought of.

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Initials are important too. Hubby's initials are G.A.L., which he hates, and got teased quite a bit about that when he was a kid. My ex, bless his heart, wants to name his first male child Blake Ian George. The poor kid will have to deal with being B.I.G.Higgs. [Disappointed]

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know of recent babies called Dulcie, Bonnie and Elsie ( short for Elspeth in that case), so they are all names out there on the names radar.
Molly and Polly are both diminutives of Mary, another nice name.
Has anyone mentioned Lucy yet ? Another name considered by us before our son appeared.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My granny was Emmeline, my friend's granny was Eveline. Dolly can be short for Dorothy which is attractive.

And there's always Evangeline.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TANGENT
The jockey Ruby Walsh isn't an example of a male Ruby - he chose that because, being Irish (from County Kildare) he was teased horribly about his given name of Rupert.

In UK army circles a Rupert is a newly-commissioned wet-behind-the-ears 2nd Lieutenant too...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dolly is also for Dorothy. I really like the name Dorothy, but the thing is, this is the thing: when I hear “Dolly”, my mind instantly adds “the sheep”.

(Actually I don’t think I could call a child of mine Dorothy in any case. If everything works out the way I’m expecting it to, my offspring need names that work in English and in French. Anything that either set of grandparents can’t pronounce is right out.)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always understood that Patsy is a nickname for Martha.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The (very few) people I've known called Patsy were Patricias - not that that rules it out as a nickname for Martha.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

In my family Molly was short for Maureen

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Polly - short for Pauline - is a lovely name, but don't give her the second name Esther!!!

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd always understood Polly was short for Mary, which would have been far more common than Pauline.

Nobody has mentioned the name of my maternal grandmother - Dora, who her husband called Doll.

My other grandmother was Nora.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
The (very few) people I've known called Patsy were Patricias - not that that rules it out as a nickname for Martha.

Or Patricks. Yes, really!

In my experience with Dorothys, they are usually Dot or Dottie, not Dolly

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
quote:

My aunt Molly was really Mary, but our granddaughter is just Molly. I like that name.

I knew a woman whose given name was Quo Vadis, which I thought was pretty good. She was always known as Vadis.

If our younger daughter had listened to my advice and studied the Catholic saints days websites, her son might have been Rufus, which I liked and everyone else hated. There are some good old saints out there, like Bridget.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Florence/Florrie would work well with the criteria laid out in the OP. The -ie ending is there, and the association with Florence Nightingale adds some assertiveness while still being quite girly.

I like the way it sounds with Ruby too.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

Another Jewel name would be Beryl, although it has associations with Beryl the Peril

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:

In my experience with Dorothys, they are usually Dot or Dottie, not Dolly

MAybe it's a geographical thing, i've known several Dolly's who all except one were dorothy's.

I have know other Dorothy's called Dot too..

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only Dottie I've ever heard about was in a movie with Pee Wee Herman. Not a good name. Dotty means crazy here. Like naming a child Nutter or Bozo.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
The only Dottie I've ever heard about was in a movie with Pee Wee Herman. Not a good name. Dotty means crazy here. Like naming a child Nutter or Bozo.

Dotty means eccentric here too but it is still a diminutive of Dorothy..
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had an Aunt Dolly, whose daughter was Dot. It is possible they were both originally Dorothy.

The rest of the auntage was Lil, Ethel, Nora, Tillie and Eileen - most of which I think you hesitate to visit on a child nowadays.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I know a young child called Tilly (with a 'y'), sounds quite current if short for Matilda, perhaps?

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:

Indeed, in the 1910's onward for many years, there was a famous cricketer called Patsy Hendren.

As for Kaedynce: A child here with a name like that is unlikely to be given the sort of education that you'd need to become a president, even one of a banana republic.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I know a young child called Tilly (with a 'y'), sounds quite current if short for Matilda, perhaps?

I've come across a couple of Tilly's too.And several Ebony's - none of whom were dark, one was a redhead!

Maisie, Nellie, Gertie, Trudy?

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandmother and her sisters were Rose, May, Elvina (called Vina) and Lucy. I know a young child Tilly (Matilda) and an Agatha and an Edith.

My own choice for a girl would have been Keziah but I was tempted by Keturah, having met an elderly lady who delighted in her name (but I had a Zadok instead [Biased] ).

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Indeed, in the 1910's onward for many years, there was a famous cricketer called Patsy Hendren.

That surname is in my family and we were told by my grandmother, a cricketing fanatic, that there was a connection. I've never followed it up.

Grandmothers' names were Ida Ann which is hard to say together and Mabel Esther. Mabel comes from the same Latin, amo, which gives us amiable. There were great aunts who were Grace, Alberta, Vera, Esther, Hazel, May and similar.

[ 26. February 2014, 20:43: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

My Grandmother was called Mollie / Molly. In her case it was a short form for Millicent.

[ 26. February 2014, 21:15: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
quote:
quote:

My Grandmother was called Mollie / Molly. In her case it was a short form for Millicent.
Milly Molly Mandy (of the story books), was Millicent Margaret Amanda, as I recall...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My paternal grandfather (born 1909) had four sisters: Nancy, Florence, Isabella, and Jessica. My maternal grandmother (born 1911) was a Phyllis, and had as sisters Blanche, Ada, and Grace.

Bonnie has been mentioned upthread, it is usually a diminutive of Bronwen, I believe. Then there is Bridie, from Bridget.

For a strong girls' name from an earlier time, it seems to me there are always the 'virtue' ones. Faith, Hope, Patience, Prudence - and particularly excellent, IMO, Constance and Honor.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I personally think the virtue names are worth revisiting.

I taught two girls named Heaven and Serenity. Serenity definitely did not live up to her name, bless her.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Morgan
Shipmate
# 15372

- Posted      Profile for Morgan   Email Morgan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amber. Beautiful timeless name and fits well with the late Victorian - Edwardian gemstone names, many of which are also good and would go well with Ruby.
Posts: 111 | From: Canberra | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Serenity Now

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Scary as hell.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about Queenie? I knew a young man in the 70s whose mother was Queenie. I believe in late C19 Britain it was common in homage to Queen Victoria.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
How about Queenie? I knew a young man in the 70s whose mother was Queenie. I believe in late C19 Britain it was common in homage to Queen Victoria.

Nowdays we have princesses instead.. Honest I have come across several..
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

A couple more have come to mind since yesterday, older names with the all-important 'e' syllable on the end.

Felicity, Verity.

Mercy.

Trinity, if you're feeling really out there (though I doubt that's an old one coming round again)

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
Trinity, if you're feeling really out there (though I doubt that's an old one coming round again)

Not that it was common before, but I Trinity has been knocked on the head by the Matrix films...unless they are named after the character.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

No mention of Chastity?

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agnes
Beatrice
Clarissa
Doris
Eleanor
Fleur
Grace
Harriet
Isabella
Joy
Kate
Louise
Mabel
Natalie
Olivia
Penelope
Quinn
Ruth
Sophia
Teresa
Ursula
Violet
Wanda
Xanthe
Yvonne
Zoe

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My great-grandmother was named Lena Joanna -- Lena from a popular novel of the day called 'Lena Rivers'. Lena is off the beaten track, but it doesn't sound too unusual to me.

My own given name is very uncommon, but I like it and never had huge problems on its account.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016