homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What is the first religious song you can ever remember learning? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What is the first religious song you can ever remember learning?
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can remember starting school round about the time new hymn books were bought. Everyone in the school who could read was given a hymn book. I was very pleased that I'd learnt to read before starting school, so I was the youngest person in the school to have my own hymn book. The first one I remember singing from it (rather a mouthful for a five year old) was:

Mine eyes have seen the coming of the glory of the Lord

And I remember several of the boys singing the chorus with great gusto, but to the 'teacher hit me with a ruler' words.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cathscats:

When the road is fought and steep (clap, clap)
Fix your eyes upon Jesus....

Rough and steep surely
[Confused]

This was out of 'Youth Praise' (no 96, I've just looked it up!!) and it was one of the few I was able to play on piano (as it was in C major) on the rare occasions when our regular pianist was on holiday - this was in the 'Bible Class' when I was a teenager. On those weeks we were restricted to the four or five songs that I could play.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chorister wrote:

quote:
And I remember several of the boys singing the chorus with great gusto, but to the 'teacher hit me with a ruler' words.

In Grade 3, we were allowed to bring records to school for the teacher to play, and one day a girl brought an album that contained "The Battle Hymn Of The Children"(as apparently it is known). The teacher turned it off in the middle, saying curtly "I don't like the words".

This same teacher(who could fairly be described as pint-sized) also once gave us an unprompted lecture about how the Randy Newman song Short People was offensive to short people.

[ 31. March 2014, 01:07: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't remember what we sang at Sunday school - their music was as boring as everything else about that denomination, so the memories are all from morning prayers at St Mary's Infant School: 'All Things Bright and Beautiful' was probably the first, followed by the immortal and unforgettable 'Over the Sea There are Little Brown Children'. 'Jesus Loves me, This I Know' must have been one of those, too. In my dotage, I am sure they are the songs that will come back to me. Oh - they just did!

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had "The King of Love My Shepherd is" last night and I recalled wishing - partly out of 8 year old erotic yearning and partly out of kiwi suburban lack of comfort /physical affection - at the lines "And on his shoulder gently laid/And home rejoicing brou-ou-ght me"

Actually it was a very Good Shepherd-y service and I wished I'd worn my bush shirt...

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is going to sound odd, but my earliest memory of "learning" a religious song was The First Nowell, in which I sang one of the verses as a duet with another girl at the school carol service when we were in Primary 2.

It's still one of my favourite carols. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

- Posted      Profile for Tulfes   Email Tulfes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope I've got these words right:

Wide, wide as the ocean
High as the heavens above
Deep, deep as the deepest sea
Is my Saviour's love.
I though so unworthy
Still am a child of His care
For His love reaches me
And His love teaches me
Everywhere.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The actions are important!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

Indeed - I can still do them all - but only if i think nobody is watching me.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

Especially whacking the kid either side of you on the "Wide, wide..."
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tell Me the Stories of Jesus.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember attending a Sunday School class with a neighbor's child, and learning "Jesus Loves Me This I Know" while wondering what the heck a Bible was (I came from a non-church-going family), how I could possibly "belong" to someone I'd never met, and what my weakness and his strength had to do with anything. It was most confusing, and the teacher didn't appreciate my efforts to sing in harmony (which was all I ever got to sing at home).

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some memories of very early Sunday School (Methodist) days:

Climb, Climb Up Sunshine Mountain
Back of the Loaf (which I didn't understand at all)
Do, Lord (from summer assembly)

and also (unfortunately)
KumByYa (yes, even in those distant days)

My favorites were always the ones with motions. I not so long ago convulsed a choir rehearsal by doing all the motions for 'All Things Bright & Beautiful'

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't remember. I used to stand with my dad, who was choirmaster, from the time I was about 3, and I'm sure I learned all the standard Anglican hymns by the time I was about 6. Apparently I sang everything an octave higher than usual.

Probably my favourite thing I remember learning at a young age was an anthem version of Fairest Lord Jesus. Still like the tune.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rise and Shine , in Girl Scout camp, when I was about 7.
Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe a tangent - but I took my kids to see Colin Buchanan last Friday. The cheese factor around the publicity, CDs my mate already had for his kids etc was so overwhelming that I expected to have a really bad time, and thought twice about taking my kids. But they loved it, and I warmed to him - he came across genuinely warm and funny, which made memory-verse songs somehow OK.

So now in my mind I have '10-9-8, God is great' and 'In Ephesians, in the bible, chapter 4 verse 32, God says be kind to one another, God says be kind to one anaaahhhhhther' rattling round my head.

6-yr old told me before school today that she was glad she's met 'a sort-of-pop-star, and not a silly one that eats drugs'. [Smile]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

maleveque
Shipmate
# 132

- Posted      Profile for maleveque   Email maleveque   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Jesus Loves Me'
'Do Lord'
and 'Away in a Manger'
My mother tells me that when I was very small, during a very quiet moment in the Sunday service (Daddy was a priest, so was not in the pew with us), I burst into loud, vaguely tuneful song, singing, "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!"
There was another moment, when the congregation *was* singing, that I sang along, but with my own song: "What do you do with a drunken sailor, earl-eye in the morning!"
- Anne L.

--------------------
Life isn't all fricasseed frogs and eel pie.

Posts: 1496 | From: Washington, DC or thereabouts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was finally allowed to go to Evensong (after begging for about a year), I was able to take my lovely Christening present - a BCP with hymns in the back. I loved to peer at the tiny writing and sing along. The main one I can remember was 'hearts and minds and hands and voices' (Angel Voices Ever Singing). It's still a favourite now.

Later, I was able to join the choir (our church being forward thinking enough to allow girls to join - although only boys could be crucifer and serve in the sanctuary). The hymn I had to sing for audition was one I'd never heard before 'Faithful Shepherd Feed me' - I remember stumbling over the 3rd line as I wasn't too good at reading music at first. But they still let me in!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tulfes:
Hope I've got these words right:

Wide, wide as the ocean
High as the heavens above
Deep, deep as the deepest sea
Is my Saviour's love.
I though so unworthy
Still am a child of His care
For His love reaches me
And His love teaches me
Everywhere.

Hee! This was what I used for morning calisthenics in one of my preschool classes.
I was going to say "Jesus loves me" was my first,but come to think of it, "Rise and Shine" evokes earlier memories for me.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember "Wide, wide as the ocean", "Jesus bids us shine" and "the wise man built his house upon the rock" from Sunday school. I don't know when I learned them, but definitely before I learned to read. My family went to church every week so I knew most of the usual hymns and choruses before I started school.

A couple of years ago I was at a service in a church where a "worship group" usually leads the singing, but something went wrong with the laptop and the thing that projects the words of the songs onto a screen stopped working. The vicar got us all singing "Wide, wide as the ocean", with actions, and it turned out that everyone knew the words!

The old ones are the best ones.
[Biased]

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my first year at primary school at the end of the day we would put the chairs up on the desks and then all sing the last verse of Away in a manger: 'Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask thee to stay close by me ...' which must be the first religious song I learned. On the occasions that I get to sing this carol at Christmas it takes me right back to being five years old again.

Angus

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not the first song but... at my primary school we used to sing grace before lunch every day:
Thank you for the world so sweet,
Thank you for food we eat,
That you for the birds that sing,
Thank you, God, for everything.

Trite but it has stuck in the mind.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know if it's the oldest I can remember, but there was a song that now drives me mad because 40 years later all I can remember of it is a line "the apple and cherry tree row after row" and the refrain "for the maker says so".

Or something like that; as I say, 40 years.

Google comes up diddly-squat. Anyone know?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was around seven years old.

It was 'There is a Green Hill far away'.

I was a sensitive child and came home and wept buckets because I took it to mean that I had personally caused Jesus such pain.

It was the verse -

"We may not know, we cannot tell,
what pains he had to bear,
but we believe it was for us
he hung and suffered there."

which did me in.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
there was a song that now drives me mad because 40 years later all I can remember of it is a line "the apple and cherry tree row after row" and the refrain "for the maker says so".

I remember singing a very long song at school which included a the words, "the beans and potatoes row after row" with the refrain "onward ever onward go"

Could this be the same one?

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it was "Jesus Bids Us Shine" - not from Sunday school, for I never went, but from my mum, God rest her, who sang incessantly around the house. She had a varied repertoire and this was quite likely to have been sung in almost the same breath as "White Cliffs of Dover" or "Mademoiselle L'Amour" (zat naughty naughty girl of gay Paree).

Nen - humming to herself.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm starting to worry about my brain... Another one just returned from the depths:

O that I had wings of angels,
Here to spread and heavenward fly!
I would seek the gates of Zion,
Far beyond the starry sky.

Googling it just now, I see it has many verses that I don't remember, and words that 5 year olds probably wouldn't have sung. Perhaps we just sang the chorus. Anyone else remember it? Since we learned by ear, I never understood the line that said "...Heaven would fly."

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chamois:
quote:
there was a song that now drives me mad because 40 years later all I can remember of it is a line "the apple and cherry tree row after row" and the refrain "for the maker says so".

I remember singing a very long song at school which included a the words, "the beans and potatoes row after row" with the refrain "onward ever onward go"

Hard to imagine it wasn't. But what was the damned thing? Lyric searches bring up nowt!

It's really really bugging me!

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned "Lord of the Dance" at a very early age, but I hadn't realised the cosmic significance and depth of what it says until its recent appearance on Rev reminded me of the words. It is so totally not a kids' song about dancing.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister taught me Away in a Manger the year beforeI started school and I was very disappointed that we didn't sing that hymn when I started school in February. I had to wait until the very end of the year!!!!

I have a vivid memory of my first school assembly into which us 5 year olds were immersed without any explanation or preparation and being totally perplexed by the Doxology, "Praise God from whom all blessings flow/Praise Him all Creatures here below/Praise Him above ye Heavenly host/Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

I am sure I didn't catch most of it but the "Holy Ghost" at the end was unmistakeable and I was totally confused that they were singing a very solemn song about something as made up as ghosts. Obviously I had never darkened the doorstep of a church with my parents since my baptism at the age of about 6months.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stercus Tauri

The words you quote are the refrain of a hymn by Sabine Baring-Gould that gives a Victorian vision of the eternal city; it is in the Mission Services section of the English Hymnal (568): first verse is Daily, daily sing the praises
Of the City God hath made;
In the beauteous fields of Eden
Its foundation-stones are laid:

Probably never sung today but the tune (also called Daily, daily) is used for Ye who own the faith of Jesus.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A hymn that begins "Thank you for giving me the morning".

One with a chorus "There's water, water of life, Jesus gives us the water of life".

And one that must have been to do with a particular link or missional activity, with words that went:
"Come all you people/children (?)
Sing to our Father
Share what we have
With Sierra Leone."

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
“One more step among the word I go” in primary school.

The teacher said the first line, we repeated it.
She said the second line, we repeated it.

Continue for the first verse, then we learned the tune.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's a Christmas song for me and most people.
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
I think it's a Christmas song for me and most people.

Same here - probably "Away in a Manager". I also remember learnng "Lord of the Dance" at infants school - and being convinced it was about the Lord's furniture shop. [Hot and Hormonal]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
I learned "Lord of the Dance" at a very early age, but I hadn't realised the cosmic significance and depth of what it says until its recent appearance on Rev reminded me of the words. It is so totally not a kids' song about dancing.

I'm not sure how widely this is known(I had only been told it once, and never looked it up until now), but that song is a lift from an old Shaker hymn.

Simple Gifts

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Uh no. The tune is either known as "Simple Gifts" or "based on a Shaker Hymn" or sometimes "Appalachian Spring" from Aaron Copelands reworking.

However, the words to "Lord of the Dance" are Sydney Carters own work and very different from the words of the hymn "Tis a gift to be simple", more verses can be found here.

Setting different words to the same hymn tune is so old, I'd hate to call it lifting.

Did you know you can dance the Gay Gordons to the tune; so it may be even older and based on a folk tune.

Jengie

[ 07. May 2014, 18:11: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Certainly 'Jesus loves me, this I know' goes back almost to birth; also 'Holy Spirit, hear us,' and (yes, in the 1980s!) 'God sees the little sparrow fall,' all taught by a Sunday School teacher with a gift for exaggerated vowels, that we had lots of fun imitating later on.

The first anthem I remember learning (and still know!), from a summer choir camp, age 8, was Bach's 'We hasten with eager yet faltering footsteps.' Still love it.

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Setting different words to the same hymn tune is so old, I'd hate to call it lifting.

Sorry, I should have said "The tune is lifted from..." or "The tune is taken from..."[the latter to avoid insinuation of larceny].
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My earliest song was "Jesus Loves Me." Also, a couple of traditional country-gospel songs that my grandmother would play on the piano and we would sing together, "In the Garden"(the one with the refrain "and he walks with me, and he talks with me") and "The Old Rugged Cross," which made me sad.

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Matthew Mark, Luke, and John
Heard good news and they passed it on.

My dad used to say this little rhyme: "Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, hold the horse while I get on." I never knew it was a parody on an actual song!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
My dad used to say this little rhyme: "Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, hold the horse while I get on." I never knew it was a parody on an actual song!

There's an interesting Entry on the various permutations of that rhyme.

My mother would occasionally quote the parody, so it obviously got about.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wednesbury
Apprentice
# 14097

- Posted      Profile for Wednesbury   Email Wednesbury   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hard to imagine it wasn't. But what was the damned thing? Lyric searches bring up nowt!

It's this one, a Percy Dearmer processional. The 4 verses given on that site are verses 1, 2, 13 and 32 (!) of Songs of Praise no. 396 which I remember idly flicking through in school assembly and wondering 'who ever sings this?' Glad Karl and Chamois did. We never did.

The verse they remember is no. 8:
  • The lambs and the calves and the foals that are born,
    The beans and potatoes, the roots and the corn,
    The apple and cherry trees, row after row:
    Onward! Onward ever, onward go!

Posts: 13 | From: The Marsh Lands | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I deduce from all these answers that there are at least two populations of people here - the ones who sang the ones I sang at Sunday School, and the ones who learned after the 60's, when I was teaching.

But no-one has quoted the one that sort of sticks, before I recall dropping pennies (try playing that on a piano when the stool is resting on a glass window set in the floor to illuminate the basement), shining in a corner and so on, which has a line "surely my captain may depend on me, though but an armour bearer I may be" of which I can remember no more. Not very pacifist, but it appealed to my adventurous tomboy side.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent]
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
... you can dance the Gay Gordons to the tune ...

Heretick! The Gay Gordons has to be danced to Scotland the Brave. [Devil]
[/tangent OFF]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cyberhymnal to the rescue. The quote rung a bell but of coming across it sometime later than my infancy. Not quite sure if it was during leading a Holiday Bible Club (some of the volunteers were quite a bit older than me) or just people reminiscing.

Oh wait a second Kaplan Corday posted it here in 2011.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, thanks for that! I'm not sure that I recall the whole tune, but I'm not sure I want to, now.

For the same reason (I am reminded of in that second link) that I wrote to the editor of Come and Praise, who denied that the author meant the jet planes were military ones with their umbilical hoses. He thought they were just stacking ready to land. I have tried and tried to find another working rhyme for jewelled, and totally failed. Autumn Days was the favourite in the school I taught in. It had to be rationed.

[ 09. May 2014, 17:57: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely All Things Bright And Beautiful, and He Who Would Valiant Be.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda:

The first anthem I remember learning (and still know!), from a summer choir camp, age 8, was Bach's 'We hasten with eager yet faltering footsteps.' Still love it.

What a great choir camp that must have been! 'The Hurry Duet,' as we always called it, would have been far beyond most choir campers I've worked with.
But I love the piece, and have programmed it for one of the Sundays this summer, when our soprano and mezzo section leaders can both be present.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was awesome, and gave me both a love of great church music, and the ability to sing it while watching the conductor almost all the time, because we actually learnt quite a lot by rote, no doubt why I still remember it.

Still going strong, more than 50 years on.
School of Church Music, Diocese of Fredericton

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

Originally posted by Wednesbury:

quote:
quote:

quote:

quote:

It's this one, a Percy Dearmer processional. The 4 verses given on that site are verses 1, 2, 13 and 32 (!) of Songs of Praise no. 396 which I remember idly flicking through in school assembly and wondering 'who ever sings this?' Glad Karl and Chamois did. We never did.

The verse they remember is no. 8:
The lambs and the calves and the foals that are born,
The beans and potatoes, the roots and the corn,
The apple and cherry trees, row after row:
Onward! Onward ever, onward go!

Wednesbury, thanks so much for finding this. I couldn't even remember the hymn book we used at school but of course you are right, it was Hymns of Praise.

I remember it as very long but I don't think even my school would have made us sing 32 verses.....

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016