homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » April Fools' Day Sightings 2014

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: April Fools' Day Sightings 2014
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some April Fools' pranks are rather funny.

Perhaps the most amusing I've found so far is on the Guardian website, who claims that 'Independent Scotland will drive on the right'. [Big Grin]

Which ones have tickled your funny bone today?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only one I've seen so far is the one in the Metro, where the government are considering proposals to limit selfies and sites like Facebook will fine you for posting more than 10 a month.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I wish that was true.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Found it! It's in print, so it must be true.
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, the joy of independence. Frrreedom!

Cattyish, wishing it were Billy Connolly.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There seems to be a bit of a Scottish Independence theme.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
There seems to be a bit of a Scottish Independence theme.

There certainly does

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not quite sure about this one from our local paper: it could (just) be true although I doubt it.

In any case I think it's a great idea, although it does strike me that cinemas have a great number of very tempting chair legs and corners for a male dog ... fortunately this one is a female.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Some April Fools' pranks are rather funny.

Perhaps the most amusing I've found so far is on the Guardian website, who claims that 'Independent Scotland will drive on the right'. [Big Grin]

Which ones have tickled your funny bone today?

Andy Burnham, the Shadow Secretary for Health, did actually make this claim back in February, as part of the "No" campaign.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the many private tuition companies around here has launched its own party package. This includes "Pin the apostrophe on the donkey" and party bags with maths and English worksheets in them.

Need to book by noon today - I wonder why...

Looks like Wikipedia's been having some fun as well (looking at the "Did you know" and "On this day" sections of their front page).

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was on the news on the radio this morning, so must be true. The organisers of the Commonwealth Games will be setting up vending machines selling whisky, haggis and "See-you-Jimmy" hats so that visitors to Glasgow for the Games can experience the best of Scottish culture.

(OK, Scottish if not Independence themed)

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is causing panic and disgruntlement in some spheres, but they seem to have missed the reference to 'Joanna King, head of the Institute for Pedagogic Inquiries'.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was sent one about an I-ron, which irons your clothes by mobile phone.

But the award for the funniest one of the year, in my book, goes to King's College Cambridge!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant - just managed to forward it to some people before 12 noon

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
'Independent Scotland will drive on the right'.

[Killing me]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The one my friends are most excited about - being able to catch Pokemon on Google Maps [Big Grin]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Melangell
Shipmate
# 4023

- Posted      Profile for Melangell   Email Melangell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This advert appeared in Southwark Cathedral's notice sheet on Sunday:

"To help raise much needed funds for the Cathedral, the Chapter has had the space in the Cathedral Tower and Bell Chamber converted into four luxury apartments. A perfect prime Central London Pied a Terre, located within the heart of Bankside, one of the most sought after addresses. Each property has stunning views over London and access to the private pool on the roof space. Viewing for the apartments will be on Tuesday morning."

Hm, I seem to have missed out on the viewing...

--------------------
Gwnewch y pethau bychein (Dewi Sant)
Do the little things (Saint David)

Posts: 367 | From: A bit of Wales in Surrey | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
But the award for the funniest one of the year, in my book, goes to King's College Cambridge!

That is both brilliant and classy. I have sent it to my choirmaster ... who is not always noted for his sense of humour.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You beat me to it! I was just about to post that link.
[Killing me]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The National Trust demonstrate how to change to British Summer Time at the Avebury stone circle. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
This is causing panic and disgruntlement in some spheres, but they seem to have missed the reference to 'Joanna King, head of the Institute for Pedagogic Inquiries'.

The problem with government policy is that so much of it seems like April Fools, it is really hard to tell what isn't.

I still don't know if this is an April Fool or not.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this may be one
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As usual, ThinkGeek comes through with some great fake products. Most are on their main page, but some are scattered throughout the real products.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[...] But the award for the funniest one of the year, in my book, goes to King's College Cambridge!

Awwww... sweet! [Big Grin] [Overused]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Internet, every day is April Fools Day...

But this from NPR's Morning Edition is pretty good.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this one caught some folk out!
http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2014/04/01/chance-to-see-inside-the-lost-church-under-charing-cross-station/

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 129 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
City tour riding a Gorilla.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Diomedes, that's fabulous! For the amount of effort, if nothing else. (And, like some of the commenters, I'd love it to be true).
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Diomedes:
http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2014/04/01/chance-to-see-inside-the-lost-church-under-charing-cross-station/

I only got as far as the headline, though 'Yeah, Right!' and didn't read any further. Wondered whether anyone actually turned up, though!

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Diomedes:

I only got as far as the headline, though 'Yeah, Right!' and didn't read any further. Wondered whether anyone actually turned up, though!
I got all the way through, and had started thinking about scheduling a trip to the UK to coincide with 1 April 2024.

[ 03. April 2014, 00:06: Message edited by: Vulpior ]

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

This one pray as you poo
apparently caused upset amongst those Christians who take things VERY VERY seriously....

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If they took their prayer life seriously, they would be repenting of NOT praying everywhere, including the lavatory.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016