homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pockets in women's clothing (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pockets in women's clothing
Talitha
Shipmate
# 5085

- Posted      Profile for Talitha   Email Talitha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or lack thereof.
Jeans are OK, but skirts, dresses, leggings (which seem to be quite in at the moment) and tailored trousers almost never have pockets. This was fairly annoying in the 90s, but now everyone has a mobile phone it's even more of a problem. It's worse in summer because then you can't even use the pockets in a coat.

(I know it's supposed to be about preserving the line of the clothes, but I really don't care; I'd much rather have easy access to my phone and money and keys.)

What do other Shipmates do? Are there brands (preferably not expensive) which are better at including pockets? Do you carry a handbag everywhere, even indoors? Do you wear something like a bum bag (UK) / fanny pack (US) ? Can you still buy a standalone "pocket" to wear with any skirt, like in ye olden days, and are they any good?

Posts: 554 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I'm just carrying purse/keys/phone (my phone is not a smartphone and is quite small) when out and about, I usually just keep them in my coat pockets, and using my handbag when I have more to carry eg letters to post. I am switching more to using my handbag now it's getting warmer and I'm not wanting to wear my coat as much. I don't generally carry my phone or other things around with me when at home! If I did though, I'd keep things in my bra or dressing gown pocket if I was wearing it.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I make my own dresses [Biased] but I have been known to wear pretty short homemade aprons as alternative pockets over some of my hippy dresses. They serve the role of the traditional 18thc tie on pocket I suppose. I've long been tempted to make a pair of pockets...
Not sure of your style of clothing but Cath Kidston dresses usually have pockets. I guess cheaper ranges don't have them as a cost cutting/time saving measure in production.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a small leather purse on a single leather cord-like strap that goes over one shoulder and across the chest. I carry an epi-pen at all times and it used to be a huge pain but they have come out with one that is rectangular in shape and smaller than a deck of cards. It is so much easier to stow away than the traditional one.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Talitha:
Do you carry a handbag everywhere, even indoors?

Carry it everywhere, plonk it down in a corner indoors. I wear a Pebble smartwatch that buzzes when I get a phone call or a message, upon which I will try to find which corner I dumped the wretched bag in!

Amy

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I almost always wear trousers, and as I I also wear loose tops that don't 'tuck in' I can generally get away with setting a pocket into a side seam (being short I often have to cut the bottoms off trouser legs, so I can sometimes manage to construct a pocket from the surplus).
Another alternative which I use when carrying cash, even if my trousers have pockets, is a detachable fabric pocket pinned or buttoned inside the waistband of my trousers.
It took some doing, but I found an inexpensive cardigan with pockets online. I bought 3 in colours that will go with most of my wardrobe, and wear them if I have to wear a dress.

If nothing else is available I can tuck handkerchiefs, or other small items, down my cleavage [Biased]

I very rarely carry a handbag

[ 02. April 2014, 11:54: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clothes I make - especially trousers - I include pockets. However, I also favour fairly relaxed/elasticated waistlines. Thus, put too much stuff in pockets - a purse with coins, say - and, particularly if you are walking briskly, a certain downward momentum sets in.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife uses my pockets when she has none. She usually wears jeans, though, so it isn't usually a problem.

The down side to that is that she forgets to empty her pockets, which means I wash kleenex and chap stick more often than not.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
I make my own dresses [Biased] but I have been known to wear pretty short homemade aprons as alternative pockets over some of my hippy dresses. They serve the role of the traditional 18thc tie on pocket I suppose. I've long been tempted to make a pair of pockets...
Not sure of your style of clothing but Cath Kidston dresses usually have pockets. I guess cheaper ranges don't have them as a cost cutting/time saving measure in production.

Also Cath Kidston dresses only go up to a size 16! Not my style anyway, too twee. I mostly wear jersey skater dresses and I think pockets would ruin the line of them - and I don't mind carrying a handbag, means I can keep lipstick/lip balm/powder/compact mirror/hairbrush/notepad etc with me too! [Smile]

The only dresses I'd wear that have pockets are more structured ones like this. Not sure I could get away with wearing an apron in public!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The lack of pockets in practically everything absolutely steams me. In my line of work, my physical safety could at times depend on speedy access to my phone; I need it on my person, not buried in a purse which I've probably left in the car. Mostly I wear slacks (trousers) at work, and even these sometimes lack pockets.

I just don't buy clothing which lacks pockets. As one result, my wardrobe is pretty limited. I have occasionally added patch pockets to something I got on sale. Matching fabrics, though, is a pain, more often impossible. I have a skirt to which I added contrasting pockets and trim, but I'm afraid it looks pretty amateur.

We should start a movement: WOMEN NEED POCKETS!!

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The lack of pockets has always been a problem of mine. Even when we ordered new choir robes a few years ago, the member were hoping we could have robes with pockets!

My favorite clothing manufacturer mostly makes slacks with no pockets, and when I found one style that did have them, I tried to buy more. Unfortunately, there were only two available in my size, one was a capri style for a taller woman, but I still wear it!

Most of the time, I keep a very small purse with a cross over shoulder strap to hold my stuff. Otherwise, the cell goes in my bra, which isn't really a good idea.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, as a male, I find the same problem in summer, as I am reluctant, or unable, to stuff everything into the pockets of shorts or jeans. The only solution I've found is to carry a small backpack, which can take all the stuff I need.

Even worse, many men's shirts these days have no breast pocket, invaluable for spectacles and so on.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wear skirt suits to work which either have no pockets or fake pockets (fockets?). I have a small handbag in which I keep keys, phone and wallet.

(Many years ago I had a suit with an inside breast pocket. This was when slightly boxier suits were in fashion. It was amazing but a feat of tailoring yet to be repeated).

Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:

The only dresses I'd wear that have pockets are more structured ones like this. Not sure I could get away with wearing an apron in public!

I supposed it does help that I used to have a festival stall selling reconstructed and refashioned clothing, wearing aprons is normal for me, and suits my vintage, layered styling. Plainer, very short utilitarian styles are good for a more tailored look though.
I love that my older dresses have pockets though, it's a shame more modern dresses don't. If I need a bag when out and about I use a small body bag worn across my chest (so I don't have to think about it).

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Anne Fine's book "Bill's New Frock" the absence of pockets in girls' dresses is mentioned. I usually add pockets in seams to anything I make - though a recent dress has patch ones. I wouldn't want to go down the over the shoulder purse (small coin purse, not handbag) route - we had to have those for school, which I hated, until I found out that by putting the strap on like a satchel, I could wear it under the cardigan like a shoulder holster.
Anyone who can't design clothes to a) fit a womanly shape, and b) have pockets which do not spoil the line, shouldn't be in the business. (I was catching up with the Great British Sewing Bee last night, and the judge praised one competitor for her understanding of woman's shape. She was Nigerian and had been taught by a relation to cut without a pattern, and the garment in question was a fitted bustier. No pockets, though.)

[ 02. April 2014, 14:56: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On slightly dressy occasions, my wallet, loose change and phone all fit conveniently in my sporran - a simple solution, and much more elegant than a backpack. Looks a bit odd when the phone rings, though.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't stand a lack of pockets, but so many clothes rarely have them. In the end, I started wearing some sort of belt purse--NOT a fanny pack!--in college and have been doing it since. Doesn't care much, but I really only need the classics like keys, cards, lip balm, and occasionally a phone.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't care about pockets, I carry a handbag everywhere.

I have different handbags for different occasions.

*School handbag - large and holds all sorts of school related stuff.

*Camera handbag - just like a gorgeous handbag but has padded camera inserts.

*Small smart handbag - for small, smart occasions.

*Doggy walking bag - which even has a charcoal insert compartment for full poo bags!

*Everyday handbag - for everything else.

Bag fetish moi??

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Anyone who can't design clothes to a) fit a womanly shape, and b) have pockets which do not spoil the line, shouldn't be in the business.

Hear, hear.

quote:
(I was catching up with the Great British Sewing Bee last night, and the judge praised one competitor for her understanding of woman's shape. She was Nigerian and had been taught by a relation to cut without a pattern, and the garment in question was a fitted bustier. No pockets, though.)

Well, a bustier is a different kettle of fish, though; one wouldn't normally expect pockets in such an item.

But your larger point -- that here's a woman sewing without a pattern who can make clothes to accommodate a woman's shape, etc. only goes to show that most designers cheat us out of pockets due to laziness and cheap-skatery, not due to some mythical "line" of the garment.

The line of a garment, after all, is not some arbitrary and externally-imposed set of limitations (women vary a lot in shape & size) which must be accommodated by the designer; it is what the designer introduces to and imposes on the garment. In short, designers could readily add pockets to women's clothing; they just don't.

[ 02. April 2014, 16:04: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate hate HATE not having pockets, and hate having to carry a bag even more. I refused until I was 35 and had a child, at which point the diaperbag became a loathed but necessary object.

I too put things in my cleavage, which is not ideal when you need to stash a cellphone, and let's not even go there about car keys. and I'm generously endowed.

Yes, I am thinking of sewing myself a pair of eighteenth century pockets.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't like carrying handbags, particularly in big cities. When I went through a phase of needing to use a walking stick all the time, a handbag became impossible, so I got into the habit of using cargo pants, plus a rucksack when necessary. I live in cargo pants, with occasional concessions for evening wear and extra smart days out. God knows what my colleagues and family think. Or what I would do if I had to go through another job interview.

As regards sources: I like Craghoppers. They ain't cheap, but they're good, and they have proper sales occasionally.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...fake pockets (fockets?)...
A very good name for them, if you ask me.

Never mind stuff like keys and money - where do you put your hanky in summertime, when you don't have any sleeves to stuff it in either? I usually stick mine in my bra strap, which is entertaining for any men who happen to be watching when I fish it out again but not particularly convenient.

If we can't have pockets, bring back chatelaines.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

Yes, I am thinking of sewing myself a pair of eighteenth century pockets.

We should have a focket making bee [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Another vote for calling those stupid flaps "fockets." Alternatively, forward this thread to designers.

[ 02. April 2014, 16:58: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:

Anyone who can't design clothes to a) fit a womanly shape, and b) have pockets which do not spoil the line, shouldn't be in the business. (I was catching up with the Great British Sewing Bee last night, and the judge praised one competitor for her understanding of woman's shape. She was Nigerian and had been taught by a relation to cut without a pattern, and the garment in question was a fitted bustier. No pockets, though.)

She's my favourite, I've been rooting for her all along. I think the tailor bloke is very impressed by her. (Must catch up with latest episode)

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
quote:
Anyone who can't design clothes to a) fit a womanly shape, and b) have pockets which do not spoil the line, shouldn't be in the business.

Hear, hear.

quote:
(I was catching up with the Great British Sewing Bee last night, and the judge praised one competitor for her understanding of woman's shape. She was Nigerian and had been taught by a relation to cut without a pattern, and the garment in question was a fitted bustier. No pockets, though.)

Well, a bustier is a different kettle of fish, though; one wouldn't normally expect pockets in such an item.

But your larger point -- that here's a woman sewing without a pattern who can make clothes to accommodate a woman's shape, etc. only goes to show that most designers cheat us out of pockets due to laziness and cheap-skatery, not due to some mythical "line" of the garment.

The line of a garment, after all, is not some arbitrary and externally-imposed set of limitations (women vary a lot in shape & size) which must be accommodated by the designer; it is what the designer introduces to and imposes on the garment. In short, designers could readily add pockets to women's clothing; they just don't.

Well, this is the kind of dress I wear. As you can see it's fairly clingy cotton jersey - I don't see how you could add pockets that are deep enough to hold keys, lipstick etc without making the dress look weird and bulgy where the pockets are. I think handbags are just going to work better there, and you can carry more things in them anyway.

--------------------

Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Orvis include pockets as standard in almost all their women's clothes. You have to watch out for some of their special-sales-purchases, which don't have them, but if you order from their main catalogues you'll be OK.
Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:

As regards sources: I like Craghoppers. They ain't cheap, but they're good, and they have proper sales occasionally.

The only time I've tried them they were the least flattering trousers I have ever come across! They were completely the wrong shape for me.

Oliver Bonas are often good at putting pockets in dresses. I wish more places would do it! Although I always carry a handbag so I can carry a book and other commuting essentials. I should probably start to reconsider that though, as my shoulders are beginning to complain.

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Mmm, yes and no. If I'm wearing a suit (which doesn't happen terribly often), I have an extravagant oversupply of functional pockets (3 or 4 in the trousers, 5 or so in the jacket), but I really can't put very much in them, or it does spoil the line and hang of the clothing.

And men's suits are much more forgiving than something clingy and stretchy, like Jade's jersey dresses. I don't think there's a rational way to include functional, useful pockets in anything remotely form-fitting.

I can't carry my usual bulky wallet in a suit - I have to pare everything down and put a couple of credit cards and a driving license in a small credit-card wallet. My keys are on a small ring - no fob - so they are fairly compact, and a few banknotes fit in another pocket.

My usual day-to-day attire is a pair of jeans or similar with pockets stuffed full of things. It looks decidedly inelegant, but I never forget anything, because as long as I am wearing trousers, I have everything necessary to leave the house for the day.

Mrs. C has an assortment of bags that she uses - she usually has at least one child with her, and the bag will contain spare clothes, lunch, snacks, wipes, books, toys, and all the other child-related stuff that we seem to lug around, so she uses that as her "pockets". But because the bag changes (different activities call for a different kind of bag) most mornings seem to involve a hunt through half-a-dozen shopping bags, backpacks, insulated lunch bags and so on in search of her library card, house keys, camera, phone or whatever.

I still have no idea how she manages to function like that. Pockets are too useful.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:

The only time I've tried them they were the least flattering trousers I have ever come across! They were completely the wrong shape for me.
Well, my shape is beyond any help that flattery can give it, so that doesn't bother me. They're very serviceable and feel as comfortable as cotton, but dry really quickly.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I buy my work (office) trousers from Next, and they all have pockets. I mostly only put tissues in them though.
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's easy really: carry a husband with you at all times as a ready source of cash, pop a tissue up your sleeve or in the waistband of your knickers, and don't own a mobile phone. Works for me, most of the time. Although I do generally carry a handbag when Mr. C. is otherwise engaged.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Well, this is the kind of dress I wear.

Love the cobalt number. And it could have an invisible pocket, provided (in addition to the hi-rise waist seam) it has side seams. You open the seams, add a slash-side pocket that goes inside the dress (not out of jersey, obviously, but out of something non-stretchy), insert a nylon panel between pocket and the dress's exterior so the seams don't make a bump and won't show. Make it deep enough so the pocket allows items to drop to where the dress isn't hugging the body. Bingo: dress with pocket, nothing dragging it out of shape.

quote:
I think handbags are just going to work better there, and you can carry more things in them anyway.

Handbags will work better in many situations for many women. But there are very few days where I could wear a dress like that in my job; for one thing, I'm often coaching someone in cooking and cleaning; I'd hate to get that dress near somebody's first efforts at spaghetti sauce or floor-mopping.

Also, as noted, I need to keep my phone on my person (it's actually a job requirement). It's not unusual for me to be working solo with a sex offender or someone with a hair-trigger temper and a history of violent behavior. Different strokes and all that.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Never mind stuff like keys and money - where do you put your hanky in summertime, when you don't have any sleeves to stuff it in either?

It goes down the side of the waistband of whatever skirt I'm wearing. Inelegant but practical.

I refuse to buy any trousers without pockets. They have to have pockets - somewhere to put stray coins, a tiny mirror in case of contact lens emergencies, a set of keys and something to blow my nose on. At least.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hear, hear. And you know those ladies' blazers they sell with the tiny little stitches closing real pockets? I immediately rip those stitches out. Fuck fockets.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Well, this is the kind of dress I wear.

Love the cobalt number. And it could have an invisible pocket, provided (in addition to the hi-rise waist seam) it has side seams. You open the seams, add a slash-side pocket that goes inside the dress (not out of jersey, obviously, but out of something non-stretchy), insert a nylon panel between pocket and the dress's exterior so the seams don't make a bump and won't show. Make it deep enough so the pocket allows items to drop to where the dress isn't hugging the body. Bingo: dress with pocket, nothing dragging it out of shape.

quote:
I think handbags are just going to work better there, and you can carry more things in them anyway.

Handbags will work better in many situations for many women. But there are very few days where I could wear a dress like that in my job; for one thing, I'm often coaching someone in cooking and cleaning; I'd hate to get that dress near somebody's first efforts at spaghetti sauce or floor-mopping.

Also, as noted, I need to keep my phone on my person (it's actually a job requirement). It's not unusual for me to be working solo with a sex offender or someone with a hair-trigger temper and a history of violent behavior. Different strokes and all that.

The pocket reworking is roughly what I would have suggested, except I thought that it might be an idea to stitch a sort of facing (your nylon panel) that went all the way up the side seam to the armhole seam so that the pocket didn't sag. Though my solution - it is gorgeous that dress - would probably be to have a very fancy (brocade, embroidered...) sleeveless waistcoat (vest) over it, with pockets. Probably inside. With very cutaway armholes. Pity I can't do patternless cutting.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Hear, hear. And you know those ladies' blazers they sell with the tiny little stitches closing real pockets? I immediately rip those stitches out. Fuck fockets.

I assumed those stitches are to keep the jacket in shape until sold. Reminds me, I'm halfway doing a mend on the pockets of the first jacket I had to do that to. Very classy wool job, with what turned out to be fleather bindings to the pockets which then peeled off for no apparent reason - no visit to the dry cleaners or similar. So I am doing a variant of buttonhole, with the chaining along the boundary between the binding and the body of the jacket, and it is very tedious so I can only do a bit at a time. About an inch.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

TBF, I think that's a feature of every tailored garment, male and female. All pockets and vents are stitched up - possibly to preserve the shape of the garment.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Talitha
Shipmate
# 5085

- Posted      Profile for Talitha   Email Talitha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I'm just carrying purse/keys/phone (my phone is not a smartphone and is quite small) when out and about, I usually just keep them in my coat pockets, and using my handbag when I have more to carry eg letters to post. I am switching more to using my handbag now it's getting warmer and I'm not wanting to wear my coat as much. I don't generally carry my phone or other things around with me when at home! If I did though, I'd keep things in my bra or dressing gown pocket if I was wearing it.

I've stopped wearing a coat already and probably won't start again until about October.
I find handbags more fiddly than pockets (plus you have to remember to bring them). They usually have some fastening to undo before you can drop your phone or keys into them, and if they don't then things are in danger of falling out.
I very much do carry my phone around at home (although not my keys or purse). If I leave it in a different room I miss texts, some of which turn out to be important.
I've tried phone-in-bra but it gets sweaty (ew) and sometimes falls out.

Talitha
Shipmate
# 5085

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
I guess cheaper ranges don't have them as a cost cutting/time saving measure in production.

Not sure about this, given that I think all jeans have pockets, even £4 Tesco Value jeans. It's just skirts and dresses which don't.
Talitha
Shipmate
# 5085

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
In the end, I started wearing some sort of belt purse--NOT a fanny pack!--in college and have been doing it since.

Hmm, maybe I should look into that. We had purse belts at primary school but they were tiny - you could fit a few coins in, but not any kind of phone (not that we had them then).
Maybe I should just get a phone case with a clip on it - that would work for skirts and trousers, leaving only dresses.

Talitha
Shipmate
# 5085

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I hate hate HATE not having pockets, and hate having to carry a bag even more. I refused until I was 35 and had a child, at which point the diaperbag became a loathed but necessary object.

I have two kids and a bag for their spare clothes etc, and that is where my keys and phone often end up when I don't have pockets.
But I'm talking about more short-term immediate access, like when I'm unloading the kids, the nappy bag, the pushchair, and some shopping from the car, and locking the car, and unlocking the house. When I do have pockets, my keys go in and out of my pocket several times in that process (to free up my hands). When I don't, they go on the car roof or on the ground or in my mouth, and it's probably only a matter of time before they go down the drain or get locked in the car.

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
On slightly dressy occasions, my wallet, loose change and phone all fit conveniently in my sporran - a simple solution, and much more elegant than a backpack. Looks a bit odd when the phone rings, though.

[Killing me]

I like to have a pocket in something I'm wearing to hold tissues (otherwise they have to go in the sleeve - ick!) but I do carry a handbag at all times and agree with Boogie that no one bag suits all occasions; I too have a number. [Smile]

I'm amazed at the men who allow women to use their pocket space. When we're out and about Mr Nen will often say to me, "Is there room in your bag for my keys/credit cards/pen and notebook...?"

Nen - Cath Kidston bag owner.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, these are what I call pockets. Worth a look if only for the idea.

I can't remember how I found this blog but this woman makes all her own clothes, down to underwear. She uses patterns and designs herself. Lots of ideas here, although many are too fiddly for me to consider. Have a look, not just at the pockets.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I'm amazed at the men who allow women to use their pocket space. When we're out and about Mr Nen will often say to me, "Is there room in your bag for my keys/credit cards/pen and notebook...?"

Exactly! When I was married and we traveled I got the job of carrying both passports, traveler's cheques (remember those?), plane tickets (also mostly obsolete now), any postcards we purchased, his camera...

Just one more of many, many reasons to rejoice in being free of him!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

Well of course, she's Australian! Probably got the idea from all the marsupials. [Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:
quote:
Originally posted by Talitha:
Do you carry a handbag everywhere, even indoors?

Carry it everywhere, plonk it down in a corner indoors. I wear a Pebble smartwatch that buzzes when I get a phone call or a message, upon which I will try to find which corner I dumped the wretched bag in!

Amy

Thanks. I now have a birthday present sorted.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:

I like to have a pocket in something I'm wearing to hold tissues (otherwise they have to go in the sleeve - ick!) but I do carry a handbag at all times and agree with Boogie that no one bag suits all occasions; I too have a number. [Smile]

Nen - Cath Kidston bag owner.

Oh, me too, me too! I often use her satchel bags as they have useful numbers of pockets, they are beige inside rather than black so I can see what I am looking for, and the shoulder strap is long enough to wear across-the-body and save my poor shoulders. The only downside is that when Mr. S says 'have you got room in your bag for this wallet/phone/keyring etc et?' I can't honestly say no!

And I always transfer everything from one bag to the next, to avoid the business of having my possessions sprinkled through my bag collection (which is extensive, but as nothing cf. that of the Intrepid Miss S [Overused] )

Sadly my new phone is just too big to go in the back pocket of my jeans, though that may be a Good Thing given the number of times I nearly lost the last one [Eek!]

Mrs. S, feeling incomplete without a shoulder bag

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

I can't remember how I found this blog but this woman makes all her own clothes, down to underwear. She uses patterns and designs herself. Lots of ideas here, although many are too fiddly for me to consider. Have a look, not just at the pockets.

They are fabulous pockets [Smile]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Those are some pockets! But a bit deep for keys, which would need to be attached to a length of bungee cord.

I am reminded of knitted skirts I made for my nieces when small, which had side openings which fastened to make pockets. Imagine a normal pocket fixed to the waistband with the top open, and a velcro fastening on the waistband. (I think that's how they fixed. Velcro? On knitting?) Years later I came across a similar design in a pattern - and I wondered if the designer had come across my skirts.

[ 03. April 2014, 07:36: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016