homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pockets in women's clothing (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pockets in women's clothing
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Too late to edit again - there were pockets both sides, so the skirts opened up really widely for ease in putting on and off.
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am currently making a costume in 1920s style for the upcoming opera, and am seriously considering unpicking a seam to add a pocket. I reckon the fabric is stiff enough to hide it. There's always call for a hidden prop!

Cattyish, another Sewing Bee fan.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could never be bothered to carry a hand bag, so for years I've had a bum-bag. We're a non-makeup-wearing family so that's one thing I don't have to carry; my bag has my wallet, small diary, cellphone ( a very simple one; Grannies only make phone calls and rarely texts) pen, tiny pill-box for emergencies like a migraine aura, lip balm.
I hate having to buy trousers with no pockets, and love my jeans with (stops to count) five, but unfortunately it often happens that the only pants I like the shape, style and price of are the pocketless ones.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh this has been a real gripe of mine for a long time. I hate having no pockets and I really don't like carrying a bag around for every day use. (Going out-out is different)

I do specifically look for clothes with pockets in but it's quite rare to find them at a good price and often if there are any pockets they are not fit for purpose. Sometimes I forget to look for them specifically if I am after a bargain and then just deal with the fallout later which is usually a lot of frustration when I am going out.

I must admit my husband does tend to have to carry a lot of my stuff if we are out together. He doesn't seem to mind but I resent the clothes designers who think we wouldn't want pockets!

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:

We should start a movement: WOMEN NEED POCKETS!!

I'm in. Up the revolution sisters!!!

Seems that this has been a problem for a long time. [Biased] As this satire from 1917 mocking the anti-suffrage movement demonstrates.

Why we oppose pockets for women

quote:

The author of this volume of feminist humor and satire, Alice Duer Miller... published in 1917, Women Are People!

Why We Oppose Pockets for Women

1. BECAUSE pockets are not a natural right.

2. Because the great majority of women do not want pockets. If they did they would have them.

3. Because whenever women have had pockets they have not used them.

4. Because women are required to carry enough things as it is, without the additional burden of pockets.

5. Because it would make dissension between husband and wife as to whose pockets were to be filled.

6. Because it would destroy man's chivalry toward woman, if he did not have to carry all her things in his pockets.

7. Because men are men, and women are women. We must not fly in the face of nature.

8. Because pockets have been used by men to carry tobacco, pipes, whiskey flasks, chewing gum and compromising letters. We see no reason to suppose that women would use them more wisely.

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alicïa:

Seems that this has been a problem for a long time. [Biased] As this satire from 1917 mocking the anti-suffrage movement demonstrates.

Why we oppose pockets for women

quote:

The author of this volume of feminist humor and satire, Alice Duer Miller... published in 1917, Women Are People!

Why We Oppose Pockets for Women

1. BECAUSE pockets are not a natural right.

2. Because the great majority of women do not want pockets. If they did they would have them.

3. Because whenever women have had pockets they have not used them.

4. Because women are required to carry enough things as it is, without the additional burden of pockets.

5. Because it would make dissension between husband and wife as to whose pockets were to be filled.

6. Because it would destroy man's chivalry toward woman, if he did not have to carry all her things in his pockets.

7. Because men are men, and women are women. We must not fly in the face of nature.

8. Because pockets have been used by men to carry tobacco, pipes, whiskey flasks, chewing gum and compromising letters. We see no reason to suppose that women would use them more wisely.

[Killing me]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like more pockets, too. I can carry my mobile phone and my keys in my bra, but it's not ideal.

I was taking part in a church service last year, wearing a pocketless dress and no jacket, and the minister was a bit [Paranoid] when she realised that the odd bump in my dress was the Order of Service folded up and tucked into my bra, but really, where else could I keep it?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I might consider calling below the manufacturers of some of my cord trousers which include pockets, but make them shallow, so that my phone slides out when I am sitting down, e.g. in the car. Fortunately so far this has only happened on my own property.
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For all you women who keep items inside your bra, don't you get some funny looks when you retrieve said items? [Eek!] Reminds me of my mother's tales that when she was at school (early 1940's) it was the norm to have pockets in your knickers, to keep your hanky in??!

I too despair of clothing without pockets, and that will often be the deciding factor for me on whether or not to buy a particular garment, especially if it is for work as I need somewhere for my keys if nothing else (when my other belongings are locked in a locker). At home the major requirement is somewhere to put my phone, which I prefer to keep with me. Yes I do use handbags, but these are only for 'travelling', when I'm at home my bag will be stored in the hallway, and when I'm at work it will be in a locker.

I do posses a solution though, which comes into force on certain days when I want to keep my phone on my person but have no pockets. Its a sort of crafted fabric pouch with 2 compartments that fastens with a button, on a long loop of cord. It can be worn around the neck, slung across the shoulders or tied around the waist. The latter is my preference if I am wearing a skirt or trousers with a loose top hanging over, for then it can be concealed below the top, yet still easily accessible. Can even be worn inside a skirt if necessary, though then it is more tricky to retrieve when needed.

[ 03. April 2014, 16:54: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still think this thread ought to be forwarded to women's clothing manufacturers.

Though now I also want to make several sets of pockets-on-a-belt of fabrics which coordinate with / complement / match various pocketless garments in my wardrobe.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those of us who want to make our own: (sorry, the URL button won't work for me, though the others do !)

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/m/make-your-own-pocket/

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
For those of us who want to make our own: (sorry, the URL button won't work for me, though the others do !)

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/m/make-your-own-pocket/

Those are lovely (and I have several more similar in my costume books). It might be a good project for me, I need to practice my embroidery for the Tudor reenactment I'm doing in June.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Gracious Rebel:
quote:
For all you women who keep items inside your bra, don't you get some funny looks when you retrieve said items? [Eek!]
I think I'm usually quite discreet about fishing items out. Keys, for example, only need to be retrieved when I'm standing on my own doorstep, facing the door.

More of an issue is my phone going off unexpectedly; people seem to find it distracting if they're talking to me and my breast starts vibrating. [Smile]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
people seem to find it distracting if they're talking to me and my breast starts vibrating. [Smile]

Can't imagine why.

I have to say I don't see a bra as a storage option (possibly because it's already adequately full of bosom).

I'm reminded by the Tudor pockets above of my mother's story of her father stitching her a little drawstring purse to wear round her neck, when she left home to take the Big Boat over to England (during the war). She said she always remembered it spinning precariously over the heaving waters of the Irish Sea as she was violently sick the whole way over...

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
For all you women who keep items inside your bra, don't you get some funny looks when you retrieve said items? [Eek!]

Yeah. [Roll Eyes]

The worst was when my plumber was here and found an electrical problem. He needed to talk to the electrician, so I whipped my cell out of my bra, dialed the number, then handed it to the plumber. I thought about what I had done after I saw the look of mild horror on his face.

I'm sure he's had to deal with worse things than booby germs on a cell! [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been known to tuck a hankie into my bra or my knicker elastic. Summer is often the worst time for lack of pockets as I tend to find it much easier in colder weather when wearing jeans etc.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
I have been known to tuck a hankie into my bra or my knicker elastic. Summer is often the worst time for lack of pockets as I tend to find it much easier in colder weather when wearing jeans etc.

Summer is also worse for perspiration in such places.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Talitha
Shipmate
# 5085

- Posted      Profile for Talitha   Email Talitha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been looking online with various search terms and have found some things that go round the waist but look less naff than a bum-bag - flat fabric pouches and so on. They seem to be marketed to festival-goers. I might have to get one.
Posts: 554 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Talitha:
I've been looking online with various search terms and have found some things that go round the waist but look less naff than a bum-bag - flat fabric pouches and so on. They seem to be marketed to festival-goers. I might have to get one.

NO FAIR! Show, show!
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recommend etsy for such things. I warn though that the way I wear them the cloth bags tend to get worn through in a couple months. They're not made for longterm wear. For that reason, I have moved to leather.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A useful art, if you are handy with the needle, is inserting a pocket into an already-existing garment. To do this in a seamed fabric garment is a little challenging; to do it in a knitted garment is really skilled work.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A hand bag every time - or rather, a shoulder bag as walking with two sticks isn't conducive to handbags!And even then, I've had to try and reduce the size, which is why my current bag is stuffed to the gunwhales.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I recommend etsy for such things.

I LOVE Etsy! Just do a search for belt bag and some very cool pocket alternatives will pop up.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Talitha
Shipmate
# 5085

- Posted      Profile for Talitha   Email Talitha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
quote:

NO FAIR! Show, show!
Things like this, this or this. (I was reluctant to post links in case anyone thought I was selling the things myself and the whole thread was an elaborate advertising ploy [Paranoid] )
Posts: 554 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I've made ones out of recycled jeans before, like in those links (but one of those is a bit optimistic in price!), They are straightforward to do. The first link is very smart though.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Hear, hear. And you know those ladies' blazers they sell with the tiny little stitches closing real pockets? I immediately rip those stitches out. Fuck fockets.

I assumed those stitches are to keep the jacket in shape until sold. Reminds me, I'm halfway doing a mend on the pockets of the first jacket I had to do that to. Very classy wool job, with what turned out to be fleather bindings to the pockets which then peeled off for no apparent reason - no visit to the dry cleaners or similar. So I am doing a variant of buttonhole, with the chaining along the boundary between the binding and the body of the jacket, and it is very tedious so I can only do a bit at a time. About an inch.
Not only that .. if you are old enough to remember the IRA bombing campaigns in the UK in the 70s, they had a spate of planting firebombs in department stores in the pockets of garments in the clothing department.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
NO FAIR! Show, show!

Things like this, this or this. (I was reluctant to post links in case anyone thought I was selling the things myself and the whole thread was an elaborate advertising ploy [Paranoid] )

Ooh, those are wonderful. Thank you!

[ 05. April 2014, 16:16: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Long a problem for me as when I was working I needed to carry keys at all times. I have solved it 2 ways. Have pockets added and simply refuse to buy anything that does not have pockets. It is a chore but you can find pockets if you are willing to look.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, the basting that holds pockets shut in the store is simply to keep it in shape during the sewing process. (Especially in a striped or plaid, you can see it if the fabric above and the fabric below the pocket opening slips out of alignment.)
Always take out the stitching once you get the garment home. The only exception would be if it's a false pocket -- just a flap with no pocket inside at all. In that case, if you are handy, you can add one. A flat fabric bag, with its mouth attached neatly to the slit of the pocket opening, is all it would take.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last item of clothing to have false pockets (flaps but no actual pockets), that I bought, was from Marks and Spencer, which surprised me. I did wonder how they kept the price so low, though - and now I know!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Yes, that's the way to tell a cheap garment -- the pockets, the lining, the hems. (If the pocket opening was basted shut, that's a sign of quality -- it's what tailors do.)

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
... if you are old enough to remember the IRA bombing campaigns in the UK in the 70s, they had a spate of planting firebombs in department stores in the pockets of garments in the clothing department.

I remember stitched-up pockets on clothes in shops in Belfast, but it hadn't occurred to me that they did it anywhere else; by the time we went there (1988) things had calmed down a bit and most of the terrorists' activities were in NI rather than on the UK mainland

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have recently discovered a line of every-day skirts that are modestly priced, easy to take care of, comfortable, durable, and HAVE WONDERFUL HUGE POCKETS! Scrub skirts. The kind that nurses wear. But if you wear them with a cute blouse or sweater, no one will ever guess that they're scrub skirts.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Watching the Sewing Bee has triggered me into doing a couple of pocket related things that I should have done ages ago.
My mum bought me, when on holiday, a so-called skirt length of a lovely tweed from Pitlochry. I never completed making it up, much to her disappointment. It was much too narrow for my figure, and I had to do facings and pockets from a different fabric, and never felt enthusiastic. Now I am going to abandon the constraints of its being a "skirt" length, and turn it into a sleeveless gilet type thing, with pockets. I have a pattern. And the tweed pattern is already matched properly. It's a pity Mum won't be able to enjoy it.
Then I had a pattern for a jogging suit which had a lovely front pocket with diagonal access - a double layer of fabric. I made a pair of PJs from the pattern with a round folded collar. I still have the jogging suit with a hood and knitted welts at cuff and ankle, but I got rid of the pattern because it was a smaller size than I now am. But the suit fits! So I'm going to get a suitable material to make my own pattern so I can go on using it. I'll have to freehand the collar. (Sorry Style - I have tried to get a new copy.)

[ 06. April 2014, 11:52: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
I have recently discovered a line of every-day skirts that are modestly priced, easy to take care of, comfortable, durable, and HAVE WONDERFUL HUGE POCKETS! Scrub skirts. The kind that nurses wear. But if you wear them with a cute blouse or sweater, no one will ever guess that they're scrub skirts.

Wow, Josephine -- these are great! Perfect for the work I do, and here I thought I'd have to give up skirts forever (and they are harder to find these days). Incredible prices, too! Thank you!

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the little tag by the left pocket can be removed with a seam ripper, if you care to remove it. I have one of these, and will be getting more!

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh I love this thread! It's long been one of my bugbears, it's good to know we're all in this together!
I'm the weird person wandering round M&S running my hands down the side seams of skirts and dresses feeling hopefully for a pocket. Have even bought a dress there that I didn't particularly like because it did have them!
I've found several in Boden recently that make me very happy.
I have been asked why I need pockets. [Confused]
Hanky, locker key when at work, list of things to remember, odd bits of paper picked up off the floor (only at work!) ect ect.
Though I sew I'm too scared to add a pocket in case I ruin the garment, and those festival belt things are a good idea but very obvious!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

If you can sew, it is not difficult to add an in-seam pocket. If you can knit a sock, it is possible to add an afterthought pocket. But I agree that if you are not crafty in this way there's not a lot to be done!

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
I have been asked why I need pockets. [Confused]
Hanky, locker key when at work, list of things to remember, odd bits of paper picked up off the floor (only at work!) ect ect.

May I hazard a totally un-PC guess? I'm guessing that those who are asking you are either a) male, with plenty of pockets themselves and/or purse-carrying wife; or b) female,and totally wedded to their handbags, to the point where they honestly don't understand why someone would find lugging the things around a burden.

I mean, asking why? makes me go WTF. It's like, duh? because I don't want to be a beast of burden, and because every human being over the age of diaper bags has Stuff&trade to cope with. Why ask why?

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At work we're about to be given smart cards to allow us to log on to our laptops. We are supposed to remove the cards when we leave our desks as this will lock the laptop. I don't suppose for one minute we will be issued with a holder and lanyard for them.

The men will automatically have a pocket to put them in but the rest of us will have to make other arrangements....

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Oh how tempting to stuff those down one's bra in full view of human resources.*

* not that I'd ever do that. I'm far too chicken-hearted to risk a job that way.

--------------------

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately I'm on a customer site so no HR people within shouting distance!

I'm on holiday until after Easter so I will pick said card up a couple of days before the deadline for getting the thing working. Judging by our internal bluekiwi forum that's going to be a challenge.

No one would ever guess we were an IT company!

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I was just noticing that my current blouse/shirt has a pocket which would do for that card, when I remembered how I thought that my Girl Guide blouse had been ridiculous in having two breast pockets with pleats to allow expansion. totally not the right place for pockets for burgeoning pubescent girls. And then redesigned with waist level pockets in a floppy material that couldn't support any contents (but not in my time).

I have, for anti-pickpocket use when travelling, two things I haven't thought of as pockets. One on a waist belt is designed to slip inside whatever I am wearing, trousers, or skirt. The other, on a shoulder strap, I wear like that school purse, under my armpit, under coat, jacket or cardigan.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Modern technology means you really do have to have some way of carrying your cell phone, your tablet, etc. I wrote an entire series of novels revolving around phones that you could wear around your neck, thus freeing your hands to do other things. They were voice activated so you didn't even need to key in numbers.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I was just noticing that my current blouse/shirt has a pocket which would do for that card, when I remembered how I thought that my Girl Guide blouse had been ridiculous in having two breast pockets with pleats to allow expansion. totally not the right place for pockets for burgeoning pubescent girls.

Very true! Nor do I need pockets strategically placed so as to make my hips look even wider than they are. Come on, people, there are other choices. And on the breast pockets--do they think we're all flat-chested, or that we have no nipples to irritate? I'm not about to wear a steel-plated bra to avoid that problem.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I have a leather coat with the most exquisitely placed pockets. The designer has them in the seams, but low -- below hip level. So anything I carry is not bumping on my hip or creating a large lump where I already am widest.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I like my poskets where I can put my hands in them.

I'm allowed to. I was a prefect!

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poskets is a word which should exist.

Maybe to describe intelligently placed pockets on women's clothes?

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

"Fockets" and "poskets;" now all we need is a word for all that clothing out there which lacks these as well as "pockets."

Rags?

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Fashion"?

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016