homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The wearing of jeans (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The wearing of jeans
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the Guardian , one should not wear jeans after the age of 57.

Since I wear such leg attire just about all the time, and am turning 70, does this edict matter? Or is there permission to ignore fashion statements when one actually does stuff such as carpentry, painting, mechanical repairs and other wierd activities that are unheard-of in the fashion world?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think your sig is the perfect response.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got a few months of jean-wearing left, then. But since in California, jeans are the answer to any wardrobe question, I suppose in a few months I'll be running around buck naked. That's not going to be good for anyone.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
90 is sooo the new 57.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother still wears jeans, and she sailed past 57 many years ago. Chief purpose of this story is to get people to talk about the Guardian.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
or the general irrelevance of fashion writing.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Guardian article contains irony. If you actually read it, it dismisses the theory;

"So wear your jeans until they bore you, PB, or until they just no longer feel right."

If it wasn't a satirical article you might conclude that you were too old to keep reading The Guardian. [Smile]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Or is there permission to ignore fashion statements when one actually does stuff such as carpentry, painting, mechanical repairs and other wierd activities that are unheard-of in the fashion world?

There are jeans and there are jeans. I have a pair of beater jeans that I wear on dog walks and while doing yard work, and I'm a little ashamed to admit that I have a pair of jeans that I only wear if I am going out, usually with a sport coat or if I am feeling really daring, a dinner jacket. The cut on these two forms of jean is pretty different, as is the feel and look of the fabric, and (naturally) the price. If you went out on the town in the first pair, people would make fun of you for wearing mom jeans. If you went to the hardware store in the second, the guys might wonder if you have ever swung a hammer in your life.

I think they are only speaking of the second kind of jean when they give this kind of advice.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's the difference between a sports coat and a dinner jacket?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Olaf:
90 is sooo the new 57.

I tried to "like" this.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
What's the difference between a sports coat and a dinner jacket?

Dinner jacket = tuxedo jacket.

Yes, that can be pulled off, but not with a pair of Wranglers.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I couldn't even imagine wearing a tuxedo jacket with bluejeans. Or even black jeans. Even Sauron's not that uncouth.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

It has to be navigated with equal balances of carefulness and swagger but it can be done. (Important lesson: when trying to demonstrate that a look works, it never hurts to have a picture of Justin Timberlake in said look as exhibit 1.)

In that post, you see the reference to "dressier" and "casual" jeans. Ant that, I think, is what the article is referring to.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:

In that post, you see the reference to "dressier" and "casual" jeans. Ant that, I think, is what the article is referring to.

Judging by the photos used, "dressier" = not shown clearly in picture. I suspect that if we saw a full-length picture of Mr. Timberlake in that getup, he would look worse.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
It has to be navigated with equal balances of carefulness and swagger but it can be done.

That just doesn't work.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I couldn't even imagine wearing a tuxedo jacket with bluejeans. Or even black jeans. Even Sauron's not that uncouth.

This is formal attire in California.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In his book The Painted Word, Tom Wolfe has a great satirical illustration of Jackson Pollock wearing paint-spattered jeans and a dinner jacket. Wolfe illustrates the difficulty counter-culture artists had accepting the windfalls of success and still keeping their revolutionary cred. Thus the caption, "I'm still a virgin. Where's the champagne?" (Sorry that I couldn't find a larger picture link.)

[ 29. April 2014, 04:30: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have any idea what those Jackson Pollock jeans are worth?

In his latter years, the frugal Pablo Picasso would pay his bills with checks that he put a little sketch on, knowing that they were more likely to be sold than cashed.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jeans with a tailored jacket? Why does this make me think of Jeremy Clarkson?

Just. Don't.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Grannie taught me to dress like the queen. I don't wear a crown, but the idea is to dress appropriately for whatever occasion or situation. I therefore have the following criteria for clothes:
1) Comfortable.
2) They cover me.
3) Pockets.
4) Machine washable.

Since loads of women's clothes are deficient in one or more of these areas, jeans with a belt do for most days. The three days a week I work I tend to wear trousers which would be jeans if they were made of denim.

I suspect that a comfy pair of jeans will see me through my 60s, but I'll also need cycling shorts and hi-viz if I'm lucky. My friend Evelyn wears combat style trousers or cycling gear and she's over 70.

I have worn a drop waist satin frock with plenty beaded jewellery and enough make-up to sink a battleship recently, but only on stage.

Cattyish, off to buy fabric for a sewing project.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother was still wearing jeans at the age of 94. She found them very comfortable and much easier to manage than stockings.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in our university days my husband used to wear jeans with a tailored jacket...we thought it was so cool then....oh dear!

I find the jeans thing quite interesting and I stopped wearing them way before I reached 57 because I came to the conclusion that although we all wear them when we are young not all of us look good in them though different cuts can help with that. It's the fabric thing too.I do have one pair of denim crop trousers which I do still wear.

My sister-in-law always looks amazing (60+) and I don't think she's ever worn jeans, not even when we were in our 20s. Hers is a classy look, even when relaxing and jeans don't quite work.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This reminds me of class picture-taking days at the seminary, when you'd see guys running around campus with a suit jacket and clerical collar on the upper half, cut-off jeans shorts and sandals below.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I, meanwhile, despite reaching the age of forty something that can't be called early forties alas, still wear them. Skinny ones at that. With my inside leg/height ratio, it's a positive style decision. Well, I think so anyway.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Age 62 and I am NOT about to wear beige.

Wore a suit every day for work for nearly 40 years.

Am going to wear jeans for formal and trackie bottoms for informal occasions for the rest of my life.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Palimpsest has already made the point, but the Guardian article actually says the opposite to the OP's claim. She says, 'There are no age rules in fashion. Nada. Zilch.' The 57 rule is sarcastic.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pushing 70 also, but I wear jeans most of the time -- with Timberland Pro boots.

As summer approaches, though, I've switched to shorts, although admittedly I don't really have the legs for them. [Frown]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
63 this year, and (now I have retired from paid employment) my normal daily attire about the parish is jeans, casual shirt, plain pullover (in cold weather), and whatever odd coat or jacket I can find in my wardrobe. I'm fortunate (?) to be fairly tall and thin, so comfy jeans are easy to find e.g. for a fiver from Asda's George (but how on earth do svelte young - or not-so-young - ladies, like our Vicar's wife, pour themselves into those really tight jeans? Inquiring minds need to know!).

On Sundays, however, it's black suit, black shirt, black overcoat and (occasionally) black homberg hat......with a tie of the appropriate liturgical colour......

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My eighty-four year old Daddy-O wears jeans a lot. He also does a lot of outdoor work and climbs on the roof and up ladders to trim the live oaks. [Roll Eyes] (Despite his daughter's pleas for caution.)

Jeans are very appropriate for that kind of lifestyle!

I, however, do not wear jeans anymore. *sigh*

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm over 60 -- I'll give up my jeans when you pry them from my cold, dead legs.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am 50 and still wear jeans in my downtime. I never wear them to work although my younger colleagues think Friday is designed for jeans.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
I am 50 and still wear jeans in my downtime. I never wear them to work although my younger colleagues think Friday is designed for jeans.

In California, every day is "casual Friday"

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Jeans with a tailored jacket? Why does this make me think of Jeremy Clarkson?

Just. Don't.

Perfect illustration of rule 1: do not attempt the sport coat look with your relaxed fit around the house jeans. Ditto if you didn't know there was any other fit.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see anything wrong with the casual/sports jacket/jeans combo à la Messrs. Clarkson, Hammond and May - and à la my 58-year-old Better Half for that matter - as long as it's paired with a suitably informal shirt and preferably brogue-type shoes.

Perhaps for a gentleman to get away with jeans and a dinner-jacket, he needs to be either a fashion designer or a rock singer, and/or have a supermodel on his arm.

For myself, I suspect I'll continue to live in my jeans* as long as I find them comfortable.

* even for work - most of my colleagues wear them, and so do I.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
It has to be navigated with equal balances of carefulness and swagger but it can be done.

That just doesn't work.
No, it doesn't. He looks like someone trying on clothes in a charity shop.

Quite honestly I really don't understand the appeal. If my trousers have holes in, or look faded, they get thrown out. What's the big deal about looking deliberately scruffy when you have the option of wearing clothes that make you look good? Unless you're about to do decorating or gardening, why go for grunge?

I've never owned a pair of blue jeans. Or trainers. There was a point when almost everyone of my generation was wearing these things - so much so that it looked like a uniform. Boring.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
and trackie bottoms for informal occasions for the rest of my life.

A colleague told me, this afternoon, that old men who wear trackie bottoms tend to be incontinent.

I have not yet felt able to forgive her for saying that.

Am sat here, now, in said trackie, dry, before changing into jeans and going out to lead a post-Lent group.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
According to the Guardian , one should not wear jeans after the age of 57.

Since I wear such leg attire just about all the time, and am turning 70, does this edict matter? Or is there permission to ignore fashion statements when one actually does stuff such as carpentry, painting, mechanical repairs and other wierd activities that are unheard-of in the fashion world?

Whatever the general merit of the fashion dictum (which is very little in my opinion), if you're pushing 70 you have every right to ignore it.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

Not up here, it ain't.

I mean, jeans are good until you actually cross the "formal" line, but after that, a full suit is a full suit.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

Then California is more uncouth than I ever imagined.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:
Whatever the general merit of the fashion dictum (which is very little in my opinion), if you're pushing 70 you have every right to ignore it.

Besides, true men of fashion don't follow trends -- they set them! [Smile]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:

As I always say of my own fashion choices - what's the point of being a mad old bat if you can't dress the part?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
quote:

Not up here, it ain't.

I mean, jeans are good until you actually cross the "formal" line, but after that, a full suit is a full suit.

Oh, you'd never wear it to something that was actually black tie, or at least I wouldn't. There is an art to being daring, and rule number one is never to be under-dressed.

But let's say you are going out to a swanky bar where the median age hovers well below 50. A suit might make you look overdressed or even old. Slacks and a blazer are going to make you look like a high school student. What is a guy supposed to wear? I posit that one answer is nicely fitted jeans and a tailored jacket.

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oddly enough, just this morning my older friend and I (combined ages 144 yrs) went to the Levi outlet store, as both our wives had told us our old jeans were disgusting - neither of us had noticed - and came away looking quite smart and fashionable. My 86 year old mother-in-law almost always wears jeans except for going to church. She could probably make good money selling her torn and faded jeans to teenagers, but prefers to keep them.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wear jeans most of the winter and chinos in the summer when denim can be too much.

I've one pair of 501s (black) that seem indestructible - I've been wearing them for over 30 years and they look as good (and as black) as the day I bought them.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

In Portland he'd be wearing a flannel shirt. And one of those rasta stocking caps.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wear whatever you want, but own it. And do not expect everyone to like it.

Link not worksafe unless you turn down the volume.

[ 30. April 2014, 05:38: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be 63 soon and still wear jeans and about to go into forced retirement. Have at least six prs in various states of 'newness'. Wear them to church, theatre, shopping etc. Trakkie daks are for around the house ONLY, never, ever past the front gate.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Wear whatever you want, but own it. And do not expect everyone to like it.

Link not worksafe unless you turn down the volume.

Quite possibly some of the worst music I've ever heard. Well done lilBuddha.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Quite honestly I really don't understand the appeal. If my trousers have holes in, or look faded, they get thrown out. What's the big deal about looking deliberately scruffy when you have the option of wearing clothes that make you look good? Unless you're about to do decorating or gardening, why go for grunge?

I can explain that. I'm scruffy because I'm scruffy. I'm not smart. I'm scruffy. My clothes reflect that. If I wear the finest Savile Row suit I'm still a scruff, just a scruff in a suit. There are pictures of me in dinner suits and bats round throat outfits for concerts. I'm still a scruff. Fortunately I work in IT.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also think scruffy looks good, and I always have. Things like ties and suits make me look like a down-at-heel hit-man.

[ 30. April 2014, 09:48: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016