homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Eurovision Song Contest 2014 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Eurovision Song Contest 2014
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I as wrong, Molly isn't wearing dog. It's a cast off Lion King costume.

But another gold dress...

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, drinking, passive violence - that sounds like us [Two face]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They ambushed Graham !

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I voted Iceland and Austria.

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well my vote goes to Iceland. Conchita was a close second.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

The interval act is murdering Beethoven - which is particularly horrific for music composition competition.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Austria have the best ballad. Conchita Sausage could win.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
The interval act is murdering Beethoven - which is particularly horrific for music composition competition.

True - it should be treated with more respect
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I thought the last supper in their song about 12 was pretty dodgy too.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Late Paul:
quote:

True - it should be treated with more respect
That was sooo much better than the interval act.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Worst song of the competition, including semis, goes to France, I'm thinking of something positive to say about it....

... no can;t think of anything.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Right voting drinking game required.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

One sip per Conchita vote, from deeply suspect martini.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Voting starting any minute now ...

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I voted Iceland.

Do you think that next year the UK will form a band round Nigel Farage.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Woot 12 for Conchita !

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
I voted Iceland.

Do you think that next year the UK will form a band round Nigel Farage.

I could see him doing, Do you ken John Peel ?

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
France are still on nil points.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Russia have given points to Ukraine, didn't see that coming

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

How come the sky is so light behind the Netherlands man?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Austria doing well [Smile]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Austria doing well [Smile]

Ms Sausage is top

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
How come the sky is so light behind the Netherlands man?

I was wondering that to.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

Iceland also has a light sky but I guess that's not a surprise.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Come on Conchita !!

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Wooooohooooo !!!

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

Well done, Conchita.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Georgia gave 12 to Conchita which was mildly surprising.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

The sausage has won. well done Conchita.

Which were the two tome deaf countries that gave a point to France.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

quote:
Georgia gave 12 to Conchita which was mildly surprising.

It appears there were a few such surprises today. Perhaps the voting is becoming more about the song in some places.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One comment on the BBC News site has it:
quote:
The Wurst act won, no different from usual.
[Biased]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How long, O Lord, how long. It's even on the news sessions here, though the only thing less newsworthy is a story of a fire brigade rescuing a cat from a tree in Ohio.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I just say sorry.

I actually like Jess Mauboy and most of her songs - but that was an utterly cringeworthy interval performance.

If this is how the majority of citizens from other nations feel when their songsters take to the Eurovision stage, I am so very glad we don't have to do this ever again.

I suspect Europe feels the same way. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't even realise Australia was "in" this year. I usually only watch the final. Must go look it up online.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For myself I thought the backing acts, gymnasts et al were far better than any singers.

The whole thing was a cheap extravaganza apart from the cost of staging it.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Yes. The trapese artist in particular. Shame the camera stayed on the singer for most of the song.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
and the flags are interesting.
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:

Too many tricolours. It could have been amazing with some more complex designs

[ 11. May 2014, 21:03: Message edited by: balaam ]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

- Posted      Profile for loggats   Email loggats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the crown goes to C*nt Sausage. Europe gets the Eurovision Queen we deserve.

--------------------
"He brought me into the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love."

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:

Too many tricolours. It could have been amazing with some more complex designs
I was only half paying attention so missed enough to get away with it, but I can see what you mean
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eurovision Final Review

And so at last we come to the final. Our household has been stricken with colds and so this report comes to you courtesy of Beechams and Benylin.

We begin with a flashback to last year’s contest, followed by a Bond-style chase from Malmo to Copenhagen, some acrobatics performed with national flags, and rather a lot of indoor fireworks. All 26 entries then walk on stage to be introduced. Worst swimsuit round ever. And then our hosts introduce themselves, and one of them starts making inexplicable jokes in Chinese, for some unexplained reason.

I won’t recap the countries which have already been described in the semis, as frankly I’m not sure I can summon up enough sufficiently deathless prose. Instead I refer you to my previous recaps, m’lud.

We work our way through eleven qualifiers before we meet the first of the big six:

Germany: three ladies who have clearly been influenced by the works of Brecht and Weil. Or maybe it’s just Weil. The lead singer is trying to channel Pink but it doesn’t really work with an accordion.

Then hello again to Sweden, before the second big six country:

France: oh dear. Twin Twin are three lads who clearly think ‘I’m Sexy And I Know It’ is the funniest song ever. They’re trying to pull the same trick here with a song about wanting to have a mustache. Yet more proof that this year’s Eurovision is, in one way or another, all about the hair.

Speaking of which, we then see the Russian twins and their intertwined hair again, before the third of the automatic qualifiers:

Italy: they’ve delved deep into their country’s history for this one. ‘La Mia Citta’ is delivered by a girl in a white dress with panels of gold sequins, wearing a gold laurel wreath on her head. The whole band are wearing the laurels too. At one point, the singer, Emma, crawls around on the floor. Perhaps this is the decline and crawl of the Roman empire.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After a return visit from Slovenia and Finland, we meet our next big six country:

Spain: she’s Ruth Lorenzo, and she’s singing with wet hair, about dancing in the rain. Add your own ‘Rain in Spain’ joke if you wish. It’s a standard issue X Factor song (indeed, she was once an X Factor contestant) and she does it well.

Then we get Swizerland, Hungary and Malta, and then the host country:

Denmark: a sweetly dorky boy band singing ‘Cliché Love Song’ which is, yes, a love song full of clichés. It’s all very Bruno Mars, done with a great deal of enthusiasm, and has a ridiculously catchy scat-singing chorus.

Then we have Netherlands and San Marino, before the night is wrapped up by:

UK: Molly is dressed in a cut-down gold dress. Don’t tell me she’s been rifling through Conchita’s cast-offs too? However, she’s chosen to add a rather bizarre faux fur collar, so she looks like she’s auditioning for the Lion King. The song mixes Florence and the Machine with Wolfie Smith, with its ‘Power to the people, oh-oh’ refrain. She sings with gusto and the song seems to go down well in the hall, but I still want an extra ‘oh-oh’ at the end. Perhaps I’m still thinking of Iceland’s ‘Teletubbies go punk’ entry.

Before the interval, the hosts ambush Graham Norton by exploding confetti all over his commentary box. Good job they never did that with Terry Wogan, it would have ruined his whisky.

The interval acts manage to be incredibly bizarre and mind-numbingly dull at the same time. We get ‘Ode to Joy’ sung by various people in white standing at the top of enormous ladders. Then we get a song composed by one of the hosts, dedicated to the maximum Eurovision score of 12. Has this turned into Sesame Street now? There are more jokes about Chinese and China. Are they going to enter next year, or something? I still don’t get it.

The winner of the Junior Eurovision (yes, that is actually a thing), a young girl from Malta called Gaia, demonstrates her impressive voice, and then there’s a sketch about a Eurovision museum. Somehow they have persuaded Johnny Logan to take part. I hope they paid his expenses.

Then the hosts prowl the ‘green room’ distributing various food items to the hungry performers, and Emelie de Forest brings on some dancers wearing tree branches (Forest … trees … I see what she did there) to sing her song again. It’s followed by another song called Rainmaker, which begins with people drumming on water, and ends with half the dancers splashing about in the pool. They obviously don’t have a ‘no divebombing’ notice in Danish swimming pools. Finally the full company come back on stage yet again. Presumably a ploy to keep them all relatively sober up to this point.

And so to the announcing of the votes. There are several instances where countries seem to have voted for a song they actually like, rather than their best mates. Having said that, we certainly don’t complain when we get 8 points from Ireland – our highest score. We get points from nine countries in all, and manage to finish 17th, which is at least better than the last few times.

However, the night belongs to Austria. Even the hosts know this, announcing the inevitable result before the last few countries have even reported in. Conchita is overwhelmed, but manages to pull it together and deliver the song with as much power and panache as previously. We might just be looking at the first ever bearded Bond girl.

And so with that, we retire to our sick beds to recover, and spend the rest of the weekend watching a recording of NBC’s live broadcast version of ‘The Sound of Music’. Ah, there’s nothing like watching heroic Austrians battling against oppression and winning song contests. So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodnight.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by loggats:
And the crown goes to C*nt Sausage. Europe gets the Eurovision Queen we deserve.

I think you will find that that is not normally how the first name is translated, or it wouldn't be turning up as a school name in Miami.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or, indeed, used as middle name.
Though the vulgar translation is very likely why it was chosen by Conchita Wurst.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
For myself I thought the backing acts, gymnasts et al were far better than any singers.

The whole thing was a cheap extravaganza apart from the cost of staging it.

If you cut out the cheap and tawdry bits, then we would not be at the end of the show, but a day or 2 before it was due to start.

[ 12. May 2014, 03:26: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Or, indeed, used as middle name.
Though the vulgar translation is very likely why it was chosen by Conchita Wurst.

Yes, I just suspect the linguistic impact in her language culture is closer to Fanny Wood, or Cynthia Hiscock than cunt sausage.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The drag queen from Austria sang a good song.

As opposed to the sexist and blatant rubbish from Poland.

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leo - Conchita is not a drag act. She identifies as gender-neutral/genderqueer but uses female pronouns.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Leo - Conchita is not a drag act. She identifies as gender-neutral/genderqueer but uses female pronouns.

Jade - Every reference I can find describes Conchita as precisely a drag act. Tom Neuwirth uses male pronouns in "real life". When portraying the Conchita persona, he uses female pronouns.

Perhaps "drag" isn't quite the right word for a man portraying a "genderqueer" persona such as Conchita, but it's close.

[ 12. May 2014, 23:21: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Dame Edna is a drag act. What description other than "drag act" applies to Conchita Wurst?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016