homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Springwatch 2014

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Springwatch 2014
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are any Shipmates following this year's wildlife antics? I think the team are on particularly good form this year. Chris Packham is in uncompromising mood.

(footage of live rabbit being pecked to death by a crow)

"You may find this distressing and feel that it's pretty rotten for the rabbit. But look at it from the crow's perspective!"

(footage of cuckoo chick rolling reed warbler egg out of nest)
Martin H-G: "This seems almost... cruel... but that's the wrong word, isn't it?"
Chris P: (firmly) "Remarkable, I would say, Martin!"

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chris has been rather angsty since his trip to Malta to observe the culling of the swifts.

I only had on last night to avoid the the warblings of Question Time.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs B and I are addicts. We've only just returned from a holiday in Mull and the otter shots were a very happy reminder of that lovely island. We know Minsmere very well and it's a great site choice for the next three years. We'd never seen a bittern before, so those shots (yes, even the mother-cannibal shot) have been fascinating.

Unsprung is messy this year, but the main broadcasts have been especially good so far. YMMV!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was impressed by the number of cuckoos they flushed, using a lure. Must be a hotspot.

I'm hoping Chris will mention the black-winged stilts, a few of which are breeding at the moment. Because of warming?

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Erik
Shipmate
# 11406

- Posted      Profile for Erik   Email Erik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all,

I would also be interested in other people's response to the footage shown (and the general principles around it).

Personally I am in agreement with Chris in that, while it is not particularly nice to watch, it does show interesting behaviour and, for me, this is a key aspect of the show. I think it is important to give as full a picture of the wildlife as possible so we can both enjoy seeing beautiful creatures and understand more of their lives. The alternative would be to limit the footage to show only the nicer side of wildlife. But I can't help feeling that this would produce a poorer experience. I suppose every person will have a different idea of what is appropriate to show. For myself part of the wonder of the natural world is in how all these complex relationships fit together, which does include preditor/prey and parasite/host.

But I do acknowedge that others will not see the world in the same way as me. I think the way they covered these incidents was very sensitive (perhaps almost over-emphasising the point sometimes) and that Chris' views are more than balanced by Mikala (spelling?) and Martin.

--------------------
One day I will think of something worth saying here.

Posts: 96 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is any footage of this programme on Youtube? I can get BBC Radio, but I don't have a television license!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Astonishing to see the rabbits banding together to defend the little one from the crow (or was it a magpie?)

And the amazing footage of the cuckoo chick heaving the other eggs out of the nest!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. I am really impressed by the way Springwatch shows extraordinary things about everyday creatures. I also love the way the audience can get involved and send in their (often very interesting) footage. And the way the presenters seem to be really enjoying themselves. And the way they're not afraid to talk seriously about natural history while still being interesting and comprehensible.
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can you access iplayer Sir Kevin?
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

I enjoyed the attempted rehabilitation of rats and wasps last night, especially the lady who puts food out for the rats!
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:
Can you access iplayer Sir Kevin?

It seems to work only for radio.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016