homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Let's Bitch About the Weather! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Let's Bitch About the Weather!
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
so, if I have this straight...

the middle and eastern US are freezing solid (I assume same for Canada, but Canadians don't seem to complain quite so much about it. get with the program, neighbors!)

the UK and Ireland are under water.

Australia is hotter than Satan's crotch.

And here in my little corner of paradise, it's warmed up and is raining on top of our impressive snow accumulation, which means avalanche warnings and me chipping ice when I'd much rather be a lazy ass.

to spare people in other threads where I've been cranky about the weather, I thought it was time for a dedicated space. Plus, Wodders can pop in and gloat about his perfect conditions and we can all hate on him openly.

So, do tell, how much does it suck where you are?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't suck at all where I am, but we are in a state of drought. Which sucks because the rest of the country would probably be more than happy to lend us a bit of their various forms of precipitation. Some kind of balance would be nice.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Suze

Ship's Barmaid
# 5639

- Posted      Profile for Suze   Email Suze   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It sucks here, high wind and heavy rain for longer than I care to think. I'm tired of listening to the roof tiles moving around because we can't get anyone up to fix he damn thing because its too windy.

--------------------
' You stay here and I'll go look for God, that won't be hard cos I know where he's not, and I will bring him back with me , then he'll listen , then he'll see' Richard Shindell

Posts: 2603 | From: where the angels sleep | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It sucks here because my husband is housebound and antsy and driving everybody else crazy. Where's the freakin' hammer?

Also, my everloving ... cancel that, I just got a phone call from working telling me not to come in tomorrow. It's a first in XXX history. Normally they make you wait to find out at 6 a.m. on the day in question.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't suck here. Alabama is about to get the coldest weather since 1996, but I don't care. I'm going hunting in the morning. And maybe the morning after.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Poland it's usually cold now, somewhere in the minus figures, averaging -5 or going as far as -12 (in my experience).

Today not only did I only wear my standard jacket with no hat or gloves, but at times I had it open. It's bloody warm here, very unnaturally so. We've had no snow yet. It's freaking me out.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends on the day. Yesterday was miserable! Cold, spitting rain all day, and gloomy. Today it was sunny, and about 80 degrees.

Tuesday morning we're to be prepared for frost.

My orchids have to come into the house I guess.

Why can't it just be low 55 and high 75 all Winter long? After suffering through August, we deserve it!!!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I will take up the challenge as a Canadian. We went out to our cabin for a week after Christmas. The idea was to ski. And we did on the warm days. Warm = higher than -30°C (-22°F). The lowest it got to was -42.4°C (same thing in °F). Thankfully it generally is still, clear and not windy -40 days.

Wind chill in the open was -40 to about -60°C depending on the day. Today it was -55°C wind chill.

We got about a foot of snow, which may not sound significant, except with the wind it piles into drifts. Had to dig out from about 6 or 7 feet after blizzard on Friday. Fun driving through them on the highway. Not.

Thankfully the cars started. If you don't know what plugging a car in is, and you don't have a block heater cord coming out the front of your car, you haven't a clue about real cold. And if you don't have booster cables, don't know about 5w30 and 0 weight motor oil, never used gasline antifreeze.

Hell, if you never spat up in the air and it froze before it hit the ground. And don't be peeing outside in this weather, pee before heading out, and do it inside. Because the cold freezes the pee coming out of you and then solidly freezes your heiny or tallywhacker, the later will then shatter if you shake it. Then you have to get a strapadictomy operation.

So I don't know, I hear about all these cold places, even saw a thing on buttbook which said Whinypeg, Manitoba was colder than the north pole, but so what, we were colder than them.

[ 05. January 2014, 21:34: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] I KNEW a Canadian would pop up to, er, take the piss out of me. [Axe murder]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
with all of our crazy storming and snow and ice and wind and general snot-like weather, I still remember my ten years in Fairbanks, and give thanks every day that I don't have to cope with conditions like no-proph.

and yes, I have cords sticking out of the front of my cars. in fact, when I first visited the L48 as an adult, I thought something was wrong because they didn't have block heater cords. I thought they were standard. [Biased]

I have plugged the car in once this winter. and I probably didn't need to.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a bit south of Churchgeek (I think), as she said we are short of rain (and snow in the mountains) though otherwise I had a nice lunch outside in the sun. We also shipped our local football team off to play the Packers and hope they come back unfrozen (along with any devout local fans).

I have plenty of relatives back in England and Scotland though fairly ok so far (one set does farm in the former bog between the Teith and the Forth so their rain isn't helping them).

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Charlie-in-the-box
Shipmate
# 17954

- Posted      Profile for Charlie-in-the-box   Author's homepage   Email Charlie-in-the-box   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The weather sucks enormous dick here in Michigan. I am between Flint and Lapeer and I think I'm going to die in my tiny apartment. I just started a game on Facebook, "How deep is your snow". I'm at 14 inches here. The only time I want to see a number that big is not when it's snow, if you get my "drift" (OK that was bad).

I have horrible arthritis so this is NOT my weather. And to bitch even more, my ass hat employer always posts, "Staff to report" like I'm going to drive through 14 inches of snow. Then there's a cold wind coming in that is supposed to freeze everything into a damn sheet of glass. I'm serious, they are saying that you could suffer severe frostbite and/or possible death. OK so my employer wants to suck what?! I can take a personal day but the fact that they hate us this much should say a lot.

They have closed I-69 --the freeway near me--due to too many accidents and the road crew had to shut down until morning. So....have I mentioned that I hate winter worse than a case of the shits? I hate snow, I hate winter, and I hate anyone who likes it. How's that for bitching? If you don't like my attitude, drive here and slap me. I dare ya. Oh, and two days ago, there was black ice and a semi driver went over the the guardrail on an overpass and the trailer snapped off and spilled crude oil all over the road underneath and it burst into a fireball. This is 3/4 mile from my apartment. This was an overpass that was less than 2 years old. It damaged it but they won't close it. The road under it is closed and the driver is fine. If I stand outside I can smell CRUDE OIL. So if the snow doesn't kill me the poisoned air will. Eat shit work, I'm calling in.

[ 05. January 2014, 23:11: Message edited by: Charlie-in-the-box ]

--------------------
Charlie-in-the-box
http://rosarygirl1962.blogspot.com/

Posts: 55 | From: Island of Misfit Heretics | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How apropos. Tomorrow, I will leave the paradise of the Pacific Northwest, a 21st century Eden as long as it doesn't rain, and head to Toronto, which according to the weather will be -20 with the windchill on Tuesday.

Why am I doing it? Because God has a funny sense of humor, placing my dearly beloved seminary in the middle of a snow storm.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was chatting to a guy in Galway, who said they've had 11 storms, force 10 or 11 since mid-December, plus a small hurricane, and one day the sea came a km inland, into the small town.

Is this the Day after Tomorrow? Maybe it's the Global Ocean Conveyor just giving us a teeny warning.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Charlie-in-the-box
Shipmate
# 17954

- Posted      Profile for Charlie-in-the-box   Author's homepage   Email Charlie-in-the-box   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking about the Day After Tomorrow when they said all our snow would be hit with a freezing wind that was capable of frost bite and/or death.

--------------------
Charlie-in-the-box

Posts: 55 | From: Island of Misfit Heretics | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent the day on Manresa State beach. My son did some body surfing since it was sunny and 75 and he's impervious to the cold water and I read a book, collected sand dollars and made vitamin D.

ETA ; Then I took my daughter to buy a big down coat on sale since she's going to college on then east coast next fall

[ 06. January 2014, 00:46: Message edited by: art dunce ]

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
St Deird
Shipmate
# 7631

- Posted      Profile for St Deird   Author's homepage   Email St Deird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Melbourne, in January. Should be 30 degrees and sunny.

Actually? 17 degrees and pissing down with rain. I am huddled in my cold house, wondering where the summer went.

--------------------
They're not hobbies; they're a robust post-apocalyptic skill-set.

Posts: 319 | From: the other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] [Overused]

"Hotter than Satan's crotch". Oh, I nearly spit my doctored Diet Coke all over my laptop. Thanks, comet! I see this in the quotes file.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in central Arizona we're only supposed to go up to 68F on Thursday -- we've been reaching a little over 70F the past week or so. If that's not bad enough, we may face increasing clouds and a chance of rain Thursday and Friday. Life is pretty tough!

[Razz]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
...Plus, Wodders can pop in and gloat about his perfect conditions and we can all hate on him openly...

I needed a thin cotton blanket last night but no need for sweat shirt and trousers and no need to switch on the ceiling fan either. This morning dawned bright and fair - not a cloud in the sky, a slight zephyr of a breeze and temperatures in the high 20s Celsius - say around 80 and a bit more in old money.

Is that enough to make you all hate me?

Good.

I'll do another report later.

[Two face]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been pretty damn cold in the Atlanta, GA area this past week and it's supposed to be wretchedly cold for the next few days. We have had our furnace going full blast at night but trying to keep warm in other ways during the day. Tuesday's high is only supposed to be 8 degrees Fahrenheit! And the low... ohh, I don't even want to think about it. I truly hate cold weather but on the other hand, I've noticed my back, knees, and other bones aren't hurting as much and it's easier to walk around than the summer time. Weird. Shouldn't it be just the opposite for someone with Fibromyalsia and arthritis?

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Admittedly most of the people hardest hit are the homeless. At least five have died in my county in the last few weeks from the cold including one in my town. I know one homeless person who was glad it was dry since he had sufficient blankets but no roof (I believe he has since found a shed). On a particularly cold night in early December the bus I was on had an unplanned stop as the bus driver picked up someone running; someone the driver knew and I suspect someone homeless who was planning to ride an all night bus that night (or else ride the bus to one of the few shelters) judging by the conversation.

I can't imagine how the homeless are doing in places like Atlanta (Monday and Tuesday with a predicted high of 24F) which are getting far colder than normal weather.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd back Wodders up, but I've got a winter cold because it was so cold yesterday morning when I went to church. It must have been 20C, and I forgot to slip on winter clothing (aka a teeshirt). Local kids were wearing hoodies and shivering. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We got another foot of snow dumped on us last night/this morning. To get to church this morning (my job), I had to blast the car through the two-foot berm of icy snow formed by the municipal plows that come down the alley. That fun exercise where you have to rock the car backwards and forwards until you can put it in reverse and floor it, all the while calling on the Almighty in unorthodox fashion. Then I got to come home and shovel the newest foot of snow from my sidewalk and attempt to shovel a path back into my parking spot, while the temps started to plummet.

I should add that all the while I'm kicking myself for giving my snow blower to my nephew last summer, because I was so certain I would have sold my house by now.

Tomorrow's high is predicted as -15F with wind chills of at least 30 below. The rural and outlying areas to the west of Chicago, as well as northern Indiana, have driving warnings -- basically, stay off the roads unless you're an emergency vehicle.

The high-twenties forecast for next weekend looks downright balmy.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was around 25c here today and I went swimming in a river [Yipee] it was wonderful. As I sat on a rock in the middle of the river I thought of my brother, currently in New York - that will teach him not to leave home [Two face]

Huia

[ 06. January 2014, 04:50: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Oooo.... I think Charlie-in-a-box is a keeper.

Welcome to Hell, sunshine. You're with Your People now.

PS- Weasel and Uncle Pete- kiss my ass. Scoot over and don't pay attention to the icy toes under your butts.

[ 06. January 2014, 05:10: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

Charlie-in-the-box
Shipmate
# 17954

I hate all of you who are enjoying sunshine [Biased] Actually I'm toying with leaving this state, even if I have to quit my job and sell shells I pick up on the beach.

--------------------
Charlie-in-the-box

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie-in-the-box:
I hate all of you who are enjoying sunshine [Biased] Actually I'm toying with leaving this state, even if I have to quit my job and sell shells I pick up on the beach.

Don't hate, sweetie, think of the dosh your saving on sunscreen. And driving with the top down all the time is murder on the car interior.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Charlie-in-the-box
Shipmate
# 17954

Thanks Comet!! I have 6 foot drifts on my patio--they look like white ocean waves. I wish I could show them to you.

I wish they would MELT!

--------------------
Charlie-in-the-box

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I needed a thin cotton blanket last night but no need for sweat shirt and trousers and no need to switch on the ceiling fan either. This morning dawned bright and fair - not a cloud in the sky, a slight zephyr of a breeze and temperatures in the high 20s Celsius - say around 80 and a bit more in old money.

Is that enough to make you all hate me? [...]

Wait. Not even flies? Mozzies? Roaches? Snakes? Poison frogs? Canetoads? Tigers? Hyenas? Archaeopteryxes? Brachylophosauri canadensii?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

(after reading a bit of her blog) TOTALLY. AGREE.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Charlie-in-the-box
Shipmate
# 17954

Thanks Kelly. Can I send Satan to scare the shit out of someone or is that outside of what we can do on here? [Biased]

--------------------
Charlie-in-the-box

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

A what?? Is Charlie-in-the box another Alaskan?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, He'd have to read the 10'c and FAQ's like anyone else around here-- I don't give a shit what trans-dimensional vortex he's beamed down from-- but other than that, go crazy.

[For the joke impaired, this is not an official post.)

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie-in-the-box:
Thanks Kelly. Can I send Satan to scare the shit out of someone or is that outside of what we can do on here? [Biased]

While there are board guidelines and the 10C's (two of which are suspended in Hell) one can say pretty much what one likes, subject to avoiding copyright violations and other risks of legal action (which I'm twitchy about).

You may find the TICTH (Today I Consign to Hell) thread useful for one-off rants and curses. Once they are there, who knows what Satan will do to them. Start at the Commination Against Sinners and work on from there.

ETA I see you've found it!

[ 06. January 2014, 07:28: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hopefully in about an hour it will be cool enough for Pete and I to go for an evening walk - even in January it is too hot in the afternoon for us to do that.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm on one of the bits of Britain still above water - though the rain is making spirited efforts to fix that. But, by and large, cold, wet, windy and par for the course.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

Seconded/thirded/fourthed [Cool]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This morning (7.15) I was woken by a tremendous clattering, and a view from the window totally obscured by white. It lasted less than a minute. Investigation revealed that it WASN'T hail. At least there was none on the ground. The squall shows up on the Met Office records as a tasteful pink with white sparkles, which means it couldn't be worse.
The sun is now shining. I can put the dishwasher on.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Flood warnings in force and the water levels have been slowly rising throughout the county this morning with some roads filling up nicely. Hopefully it won't get onto the railway tracks like last time: if it does, it'll cause major disruption to the cross-country routes. Unfortunately the line is pretty much next to the canal in some places.

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
The sun is now shining. I can put the dishwasher on.

And then you can hang the plates out to dry afterwards.
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's something for those of you who want something to do while you wait for it to warm up.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Solar panels.
Charlie-in-the-box
Shipmate
# 17954

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

A what?? Is Charlie-in-the box another Alaskan?
You'd think so right??? No I'm in imprisoned in Michigan by a sadistic employer who increases the suffering every time I adjust to their latest abuses.

--------------------
Charlie-in-the-box

Charlie-in-the-box
Shipmate
# 17954

quote:
Originally posted by Meg the Red:
quote:
quote:

Seconded/thirded/fourthed [Cool]
Thanks so much everybody! I just found this site after being treated like garbage and kicked off two other sites by people who are (say this sarcastically) so much holier than I will ever be...well if that's holy then they can have it. Thanks for that welcome. It's so fitting that I would like hell the best. [Razz]

--------------------
Charlie-in-the-box

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sent a Happy New Years message to cousin in tropical parts telling her I hoped she wasn't too hot (and only being slightly sarcastic,) it being summer where she is . Turns out it's cyclone season. If it's not one thing, it's t'other [Disappointed]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But on Wednesday, oh happy day, the weather is supposed to be calming down in the UK, after weeks of storms, gales, floods, and other chastenings. I called a roofer the other day, after some slates went pinging off the roof, and we stood there in a howling gale, and he said, somewhat wryly, 'well, I'm not sure when I'll be able to climb up there'. I was well pleased with that example of stoic Norfolk wit.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Hopefully in about an hour it will be cool enough for Pete and I to go for an evening walk - even in January it is too hot in the afternoon for us to do that.

[Big Grin] yeah, my 8-year old cousin and I were running around Sonoma in short sleeves yesterday, he barefoot and in shorts, and complaining that his teacher was forcing him to wear long pants to school. We walked the family dog along a sparking sunlit stream, and I actually had to drink iced coffee at Peet's to enjoy the al fresco dining fully.

I'll get back to you in August, when we are waiting to flush the toilet till the third use.

[ 06. January 2014, 20:37: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will be spending the evening thawing pipes that have frozen, hopefully not burst or cracked, that provide water to one of the bathrooms. Joy. [Help]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'll get back to you in August, when we are waiting to flush the toilet till the third use.

If we don't get some rain soon, that's gonna be in about April.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The weather here warmed up, but, I gather, only temporarily and the real cold will hit tomorrow. We had rain this morning that melted most of the snow, so hopefully even if we get the predicted subzero cold we won't be icebound.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016