homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Let's Bitch About the Weather! (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Let's Bitch About the Weather!
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To add to the OMG the WORLD IS ENDING!!

Houston got maybe a 1/4 of an inch of ice. The city shut it self down....

(To be fair (HA!) we do live in a city of bridges and overpasses and the temp wasn't going to be over freezing until the PM)

It's been so warm the last few days nothing stuck to the surface roads, they are fine. It's just the normal idiots who can't drive in the rain. And HELL people, you live on the Gulf Coast, if you can't drive in the rain move to the desert!

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a great cartoon about that this morning. It showed a single snowflake hitting the street in downtown Houston and the people around it pretty much re- enacting The Rape of the Sabine Women.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
today, as I was having my second cuppa, I looked up at the mountains and a GIANT BALL OF FIRE rose above them into the sky! all us pale squinty creatures shrieked and ran outdoors and generally behaved like a dog who's found a dead salmon on the riverbank.

all is right with the world! I love you all!

(stay tuned. I'm sure the attitude will readjust to normal parameters, soon.)

[ 25. January 2014, 01:24: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would appreciate a little rain to break the monotony of all this 35C sunshine. [Frown]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope your motor scooter overheats.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was just round the block to get milk and the paper, and it's a complete change of the lower half, jacket over the radiator, and umbrella pretty much a write off. And the electric light on at 11am.

That is me INDOORS until such time as I see certifiable sunshine.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
And the electric light on at 11am.

Erm . . . in lieu of the gas lamp? [Confused]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In lieu of the Sun, I would think.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sun, what is this sun? This afternoon we suddenly had a thunderstorm with torrential rain sending waves of water across the car park. Trees came down across railway lines, lightning struck in various places, and a flooding alert was issued. A second instalment is due tomorrow, apparently.

[ 25. January 2014, 21:01: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More snow today, enough to make everything slippery and dangerous. Feh.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Sun, what is this sun? This afternoon we suddenly had a thunderstorm with torrential rain sending waves of water across the car park. Trees came down across railway lines, lightning struck in various places, and a flooding alert was issued. A second instalment is due tomorrow, apparently.

I have read of the Sun in the legends of my people. How of old many went in search for it, and came at last to the land of Costadelsol wherein lies the fortress of the great king Ben Idorm. There the Sun blessed them, in token of which they returned to these shores, their faces stricken a shade of orange never afore seen, nor since.

'Tis said that the Sun but sleeps and one day will return, when England lies in direst need before the Deficiency of Vitamin D.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can either move to a sensible latitude, or you can ensure the future of Neighbours and/or Home and Away for a couple more decades. Your choice.

EDIT: I mean, even Hobart would get you almost 10 degrees closer to the equator than London is. HOBART!

[ 26. January 2014, 02:56: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's wrong with Hobart? [Confused]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who is Hobart and how quickly will he arrive?
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
What's wrong with Hobart? [Confused]

Nothing, particularly. It's just the southernmost city in this particular Southern Hemisphere country. And it's still closer to the equator than half of Europe.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These are those who would say that the almost endless succession of bright, sunny days with nary a cloud in the sky is boring - I, however, am not one of them...

...though I think we would all welcome a little rain.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's rather windy here today, however the sun is still shining. Can't complain, after all it's been a nice mild winter, I don't think that the temperature has been much below 10 deg C, and mostly more like the mid-teens. There hasn't been much rain which is nice for us although I daresay the farmers here would welcome a bit more.

All in all a pretty decent winter. I just thought I'd post here to keep Wodders company, in case he was feeling lonely... [Devil]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I currently have a surplus of rain to offer which would be of great benefit to those without, or anyone looking to quickly fill lakes, transform their local deserts, start a rice paddy in their back garden, etc. Also on offer this week is quite a lot of grey mist which could be very handy for concealing unattractive buildings, landscapes, people etc that you don't want to see.

We may be able to do a deal if you have something different to offer in exchange.

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We can normally spare a little sunshine in return.
[Smile]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We could do with the rain as long as you can ensure delivery. However we don't need the mist. In exchange we can offer some warm weather (we have been breaking records here though since this is the middle of winter that means highs about 20C/70F). Half Moon Bay might also throw in some waves though they normally like keeping them (Mavericks competition was last Friday, 40 foot waves sure to impress the neighbors).

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The weather here is just plain stupid.

Yesterday is went to a bloody hell death stundo +3°C and today we started at -27°C. And it did this last week as well, with a high of +4° and then plummeted to -33. Which is 1/2 of -66 which is Satan.

Ice covered by snow. God likes broken hips and FOOSH injuries*.

(*fall on outstretched hands, a real™ medical term ©)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Effin' hell!?! For only the second time in my fifteen years here, Winona State University has cancelled classes due to weather. The first time was in 2000, and that was to allow students to help fill sand bags across the river in Fountain City, WI due to Mississippi River flooding.

We have snow covered roads, drifts, -10F temp and a wind chill of -40F. It was 29F above zero yesterday.

What have I learned from this winter? That an 86lb golden retriever can poop in under a minute if he has the incentive of blowing snow and wind chill.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was actually above freezing for most of the day today! But that was just a teaser and tomorrow the cold comes back.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good news, LADWP! A storm is coming tomorrow! [Yipee]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another bright sunny day. Nary a cloud in the sky.

Life here is so difficult. Just this morning we were complaining that the call to prayer happened before the temple chants started up, and confused our internal clocks no end!

And so cold that when we had a warming bowl of porridge, each, on the verandah, we kept our shirts on [Disappointed]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MORE blue sky, MORE bright sunshine, MORE gentle zephyr of a breeze!

Will it never end?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Good news, LADWP! A storm is coming tomorrow! [Yipee]

They keep saying on the radio here that "there is talk of rain on Friday." What this means is that there will be at most enough water to make people think they need to wash their cars, which will use more water than we actually get in the storm.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(grump) AccuWeather is telling me "Some showers" for Thursday. "Some showers." Kiss my ass, AccuWeather.

The Ghost of KenWritez has spoken to me, Ruth, and he says,"It's up to you California gals. You have to go out tomorrow at dawn and do a nekkid interpretative liturgical rain dance, or all is lost."

[ 28. January 2014, 03:46: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

PLEASE do not put the video on Youtube™!

[Razz]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I listen to Ken, not you, buster.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Okay then DO put the video on Youtube™!

[Two face]

eta: your Personal Penguin one was pretty darned good.

[ 28. January 2014, 05:47: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
MORE blue sky, MORE bright sunshine, MORE gentle zephyr of a breeze!

Will it never end?

Not until the Rainy Season, no. [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can tell you from personal experience that the very best way to break a drought is to peel a roof off, particularly if there is underlying damage that will have to be repaired before the new roof can go on.

70% of the time, it works all the time. Much better than liturgical nude rain dances.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But less entertaining.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:

70% of the time, it works all the time. Much better than liturgical nude rain dances.

I wanna see some data on that one. Where's the goddamn data?

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Give a bunny a little college education and she's got an attitude all of a sudden.

(More of an attitude, I mean.)

[the code! the code!]

[ 29. January 2014, 01:03: Message edited by: basso ]

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

If you can't find it, I'm certainly not going to spoon feed it to you.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Axe murder] omigod, you just did a mousethief imitation. That's gotta earn you a Webby or something.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Much better than liturgical nude rain dances.

I am going to call you on this as well. Regardless of the percentage of success, peeling clothes will nearly always beat peeling a roof.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

quote:
[Axe murder] omigod, you just did a mousethief imitation. That's gotta earn you a Webby or something.

Meh. Accidental, I'm sure.

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Much better than liturgical nude rain dances.

I am going to call you on this as well. Regardless of the percentage of success, peeling clothes will nearly always beat peeling a roof.
Certainly more entertaining, and often more educational.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Either you took your roof off or Ruth did some nekkid dancing on her own, because the rain came earlier than expected.

Not much, but every little bit helps! [Cool]

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The LA Times: More than quarter inch of rain falls in San Gabriel Mountains. [Eek!]
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
They keep saying on the radio here that "there is talk of rain on Friday." What this means is that there will be at most enough water to make people think they need to wash their cars, which will use more water than we actually get in the storm.

OTOH, washing your car is considered to be a sure-fire rain bringer. Perhaps we could get all Californian car owners to wash their cars on the same day? (Using low-water methods.)

Not that I would interfere with anyone called to perform a rain dance in their birthday suit--unless it caused a traffic jam.
[Two face]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

is that a lot...?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Perhaps we could get all Californian car owners to wash their cars on the same day? (Using low-water methods.)

Like 35 cans of Wet Ones?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Comet, what I think Ruth is trying to convey, via sarcasm, is that God thumbed His nose at us with one hand and shook his dick dry over us with the other. In other words-- a pissing little trickle.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is Hell and y'all are pretty tolerant, but I think I will refrain from completing the slightly offensive, most probably blasphemous, jokes which skittered about the edges of my brain.
Thank you anyway, Kelly.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Wasn't that a lovely image? I am so proud of myself.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

I spent Friday after work with some work friends in a bar/restaurant area of the city, in a leafy courtyard, as the summer sun lingered behind the building so that we were both warm and well shaded, sipping a fine Verdelho.

Just so you know.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016